PDA

View Full Version : PCT/Sierra Section Hikes

achilles
12-02-2013, 03:51
I'm looking for a section hike on the PCT, somewhere around the Sierras, to do with some friends in early/mid June. I'm thinking two weeks and somewhere around 150 miles. Any suggestions?

juma
12-02-2013, 11:37
probably tuolomne south to bishop pass but you'd have to get permit for JMT or PCT.

tuolomne north to echo lake is a good hike and probably easier permit-wise. I don't think you need a permit for that one.

watch the snow reports to get the best timing on this one as you will hit some snow.

Coffee
12-02-2013, 11:50
A permit would be needed for either direction out of Tuolumne - available for reservation 168 days in advance:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

There are first-come-first-served permits as well. My guess is that a Glen Aulin (NB permit) would be easier to obtain vs. a Lyell Canyon (SB) permit.

My back up plan for next summer if fires impact Colorado to an unreasonable extent is to hike the PCT from Kennedy Meadows to Lake Tahoe starting in mid August. Kennedy Meadows entry requires a permit but there is no quota. My trip would be just under 500 miles so no permit from the PCTA.

juma
12-02-2013, 18:08
A permit would be needed for either direction out of Tuolumne - available for reservation 168 days in advance:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

There are first-come-first-served permits as well. My guess is that a Glen Aulin (NB permit) would be easier to obtain vs. a Lyell Canyon (SB) permit.

My back up plan for next summer if fires impact Colorado to an unreasonable extent is to hike the PCT from Kennedy Meadows to Lake Tahoe starting in mid August. Kennedy Meadows entry requires a permit but there is no quota. My trip would be just under 500 miles so no permit from the PCTA.

pssst, just make it for a longer hike and if you have to get off early, that's just life in the hike lane.

mikeunger
12-02-2013, 20:22
I would look at Sonora Pass to Donner Pass. You would avoid the permit issues and get to experience some outstanding areas. You could resupply in Echo Lake/Tahoe.

I recommend you track the snow conditions (www.postholer.com). Early/mid June could have some challenging conditions in a normal snow year.

Enjoy,

Mike

Miner
12-03-2013, 00:21
There are plenty of walk in permits in Yosemite (I think they hold 20% for it). Line up before 5am, preferably the day before you want to start at the ranger station in Tuolumne Meadows. Its easier to get one for a weekday then a weekend. I usually can get pretty much what I want with a rare exception when I have to choose an alternative trailhead and hike some extra to get over to where I wanted to go in the first place.

Two alternatives to the suggestions above. Start at Kennedy Meadows (gateway to the Sierra) and enter the High Sierra going north with your friends. The first few days before reaching Crab Tree Meadows (and the side trip up Mt. Whitney) aren't that hard despite going over 10,000ft (at least compared to what is to come). Maybe exit around Bishop Pass. Or start at Devil's Postpile by Mammoth Lakes and head north to Echo Lake. This allows you to see the area around 1000 Island lake before Donahue Pass which is very popular due to being very scenic.

quasarr
12-03-2013, 08:04
I thought the section north of Tuolomne was pretty difficult. It's rockier and steeper than the southern part of the Sierras. I also second the area around Lake Tahoe, it's really beautiful and the terrain is much easier. You could also do the Tahoe Rim Trail, (I think it's about 150 miles but I'm not sure) it is logistically easy because it is near Reno and here are many town options around the lake. Since the trail is a giant loop, you will end where you started which can be convenient as well. Lots of busses and transit to and from the Reno airport as well.

sbhikes
12-03-2013, 11:20
Getting a permit is not difficult if you are flexible about starting location and direction. Early to mid-June will have snow so watch the snow reports as the date nears. You don't know how it will be yet.

If you want a real taste of the PCT you might also consider starting in the Southern Sierras so you can experience some of the high desert. Start at Walker Pass and you'll see just a few Joshua trees but be in the pines most of the time but with some cactus. You'll experience everybody's first big river on the PCT, maybe without the same level of joy the thru-hikers have, but you'll get to see it. Then you can walk into Kennedy Meadows and have a fun resupply. The hikers will be there at this time, too. Then you can move out of the cactus into the high country and perhaps summit Whitney. I don't know if that makes 150 miles or if you would have to go a little further. It's a lovely section with much variety of climate zones, not all of it will be classic John Muir Trail scenery but some of it would be. Transportation could be an issue but if you have cars to arrange a shuttle or don't mind hitchhiking and using the public transportation, it would be doable.