PDA

View Full Version : Post Thru-hike Postcards

ChinMusic
12-02-2013, 18:48
It is a tradition to send post-thru postcards to hostels, some motels, some restaurants, outfitters, etc that helped make your hike a more enjoyable event. I'm in the process of making a list of places and got to wondering if I am overdoing it. I noticed that nearly all hostels had a wall for postcards, heck Kincora has a whole ceiling. Some motels had a place for cards, others did not that I could see. I recall seeing cards at some "hiker" restaurants but can't remember which ones.

Here is the start of my list which I have only done only to early New York. Do you see places I should scratch from this list? I am not sure of what places to send cards and which ones would just toss em in the trash. I got some friends in there in case you don't recognize some places.

Mountain Crossings
Budget inn Hiawassee
Sapphire Inn
Aquone
Base camp
Hike Inn
Grand Prix
Stomper & WildBill
Standing Bear
Laughing Heart
Elmer's
Hemlock
Super 8
Toms
Greasy creek
Mountain Harbour
Bobs Diaryland
Vango
Black bear
JB
Iron Mt Inn
Crazy Larry
Mt Rogers
Troutdale Baptist Church Hostel
Fort Bastian
Woods Hole
Holiday Motor Lodge
The Captains
Homeplace
HikerMom
DeerHunter
Terrapin Station
Bears Den Hostel
Blackburn AT Center
Love and Peace
AT Conservancy
Ironmasters
IceMan
Doyle
Goodies
Malto
Jail House
Tony's Pizzaria
Bert's
Beer Stein
Pocono Inn
Grasshopper
Mohican
Cobmin
Joe to Go (ha)
Pappas
High Point Mt Motel
Wit's

Lady Grey
12-02-2013, 21:39
I just put my postcard together and am in the process of sending them out. I left the hotels/motels off my list and just focused on the hostels. By the way, I see you have the Cobmin on your list... not my favorite to say the least!

ChinMusic
12-02-2013, 21:41
I just put my postcard together and am in the process of sending them out. I left the hotels/motels off my list and just focused on the hostels. By the way, I see you have the Cobmin on your list... not my favorite to say the least!
I was just putting most places I stayed on the starting list. Cobmin would be a first-cut.

max patch
12-02-2013, 22:11
Personally, I would send a card to PEOPLE not affiliated with a business, hostel etc. who may have helped me; for example HikerMom on your list. I would send a card to CHURCH HOSTELS who give us space as part of their mission; for example The Place and the Church of the Mountain in DWG. I would not send a card to BUSINESSES OR HOSTELS that are set up for profit; such as Standing Bear, Hiker Hostel, or the Homeplace.

Kincora is not a church hostel, but Bob is focused on the trail and charges a ridiculously small amount that they would be card worthy.

Teacher & Snacktime
12-03-2013, 00:15
When we got these for Snacktime's walk across RI, the smallest amt we could purchase was 250 (vistaprint 24.99)....I have about 150 still. I say wallpaper every place you stopped with them!

ChinMusic
12-03-2013, 01:43
I got mine at Vistprint too.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1468495_10201498405474726_221848230_n.jpg

Teacher & Snacktime
12-03-2013, 01:46
I saw these on FB....great job...and Snacktime and I wouldn't mind having one. We may have never met you, but we chased you all over Maine!

Trillium
12-03-2013, 02:02
Wow, that is a very good looking postcard, Chin!

HikerMom58
12-03-2013, 10:43
I loveee it ... I can't wait to get mine! Great job, Chin, on all counts! T&S loves you too! :D Feelin the love, ChinMusic? :cool:

Mags
12-03-2013, 11:25
When we got these for Snacktime's walk across RI, the smallest amt we could purchase was 250 (vistaprint 24.99)....I have about 150 still. I say wallpaper every place you stopped with them!

A little off topic (sorry!), but was this the north south trail? If so, do you have an online journal by any chance? I never did get the chance to hike the trail and its entirety when I was there and always curious what the experience was like. I did find an online journal for a trail run, but that's about it.

Maybe PM me the info (if applicable) so I am not totally hijacking this thread. :)

EDIT: Chin Music, props on the awesome post card!

Teacher & Snacktime
12-03-2013, 14:23
MAGS..I'll pm you with the details....and a link (if you go on FB)

Deer Hunter
12-03-2013, 14:29
Wow, that is a very good looking postcard, Chin!

Yes, very nice.