PDA

View Full Version : No Water at Catawba Shelter (Dragon's Tooth to McAfee Knob)

Demeter
12-03-2013, 07:22
We were there a couple of weeks ago; I meant to post this earlier but forgot. Anyway, we ran into several hikers freaking out because they were unaware of the water situation. Water was flowing at Catawba in October. Water is running at a trickle at Campbell out of the pipe (the pipe really leaks bad in many places), but is scoopable out of the spring well. Just make sure to bring a prefilter because there were a ton of dead bugs floating on top..

Maybe the recent rains will help...

coach lou
12-03-2013, 08:18
The posted spring was dry this weekend, but the seep near the footbridge had enough to filter..barely!

HikerMom58
12-03-2013, 10:28
Just heard more rain on the way for Friday.... Water is def. a problem through this area.

This offer goes out to all hikers- let me know if you are planning a hike near here & I will get water up to Rt. 311 for you, if you are heading SOBO. If you are NOBO, Lamberts Meadow usually has a good water source there... after that you won't be far from Daleville.

johnnybgood
12-03-2013, 10:52
There is a usually water trickling over rocks at Lambert's Meadow, just needs a bandanna to possibly filter it.

Namtrag
12-03-2013, 11:27
When we went about 3 weeks ago, the Campbell Shelter spring was full, and like the OP said, you had to dip from the cistern as the pipe was barely trickling.

Further south at the shelter just on the other side of McAfee Knob (can't recall the shelter name), that spring was completely dry. It's the spring that is just south of the shelter just a few feet off the AT. We met a big scout group going over McAfee to the Campbell Shelter to get water, as they were camped at the shelter with the dry spring. The leaders had no idea it would be dry. What a long trip just to get water!!!

HikerMom58
12-03-2013, 12:19
Wow... that would be a long hike to get water.

Heading SOBO, leaving McAfee Knob, the first shelter would be Catawba Mountain shelter then just 1 mile further down the trail is Johns Spring (interesting name) b/c that shelter hardly ever has water. : >( By the time hikers hit 311, going South, they can be very concerned about water sources and rightfully so....

The 20 miles between Daleville (Rt 220) and (Catawba) Rt. 311 can be very dry. Even after you hit Rt. 311, water can be tough to find. There is a "store" where you can do some resupply & get water but it's about 2 miles downhill from the trail crossing at Rt. 311.

The store is close to the Homeplace... jus sayin. ;>)

Namtrag
12-03-2013, 12:26
Yes Hikermom, it was the Catawba Mountain shelter that was dry. My first weekend backpacking trip in fall of 2012, we went the exact same route, and that spring was running like a faucet. Now not even a trickle.

Odd Man Out
12-03-2013, 12:29
Wow... that would be a long hike to get water.

Heading SOBO, leaving McAfee Knob, the first shelter would be Catawba Mountain shelter then just 1 mile further down the trail is Johns Spring (interesting name) b/c that shelter hardly ever has water. : >( By the time hikers hit 311, going South, they can be very concerned about water sources and rightfully so....

The 20 miles between Daleville (Rt 220) and (Catawba) Rt. 311 can be very dry. Even after you hit Rt. 311, water can be tough to find. There is a "store" where you can do some resupply & get water but it's about 2 miles downhill from the trail crossing at Rt. 311.

The store is close to the Homeplace... jus sayin. ;>)

My plan on hiking Pearisburg to Daleville fell through last summer. Will try again next summer. Is the water supply in this stretch also limited in July?

HikerMom58
12-03-2013, 14:21
My plan on hiking Pearisburg to Daleville fell through last summer. Will try again next summer. Is the water supply in this stretch also limited in July?

I do remember that! :) July can be dry but it really all depends on the rainfall. This summer we had an unusually wet summer but the fall has been really dry. This section is just bad when it comes to good reliable water sources. Boo dat! :(

No worries Odd Man Out... just let me know when you are coming thru, if I'm around I'll make sure you have plenty of water.. for youself & whoever is hiking around you... more than happy to help you out. :>)

I've heard about a ridgerunner that is in this section. I need to meet this ridgerunner so we can stay informed about all things in this section. It's kinda a popular section! ;)

Thanks Namtrag.... that's good to know about the Catawba Mountain Shelter water situation... Wow! Rain is on it's way the end of this week.

Namtrag
12-03-2013, 14:25
We met the ridge runner, too bad I can't remember his name. Young, skinny, and fresh off a thru hike as I recall.

GoldenBear
08-17-2014, 16:40
I hiked Highway 621 to Daleville this last week, and the water situation is even WORSE than last year.
The spring at Catawba Shelter is absolutely bone dry -- there is, literally, not one drop of water there.
And Johns Spring shelter doesn't have "unreliable water" -- it has NO WATER.

There is water flowing at Lambert Meadows and at Campbell Shelter, but you'll have to do a little searching at both places for water without silt.
Water is fine at the Pickle Branch Shelter (0.3 mile off The Trail), at Route 785 (Catawba Creek), just north of VA Highway 621, and just before you get to Highway 220 (Tinker Creek).

But, other than the places I noted above, there is NO WATER at ANY stream, creek, or spring along this section.
This means there is a fifteen mile gap with no water right on The Trail, and a 8.4 mile section without a drop.
Fill up when you can!
Don't repeat my error and show up late at a shelter hoping for water, only to find there's none to be found.

Demeter
08-19-2014, 13:02
Don't repeat my error and show up late at a shelter hoping for water, only to find there's none to be found.
Thanks so much Golden Bear! so good to know

ddanko2
05-18-2015, 13:11
Heading from Newport to Daleville this weekend. Any updates on the water situation?

V Eight
05-18-2015, 19:29
Heading from Newport to Daleville this weekend. Any updates on the water situation?

NOBO - There is a pipe trail left just before the shelter was running a nice flow a week ago. With the showers that have been around the last couple days, I would think water will not be a problem for you.
Have a great hike!