PDA

View Full Version : Accomplished people you've met hiking

RockDoc
12-03-2013, 18:07
They look just like the rest of us, grungy and tired at the end of the day. Soaking wet from rain, looking for a place to get water or camp for the night. But if you probe a bit you will meet scholars, multi-millionaires, and other highly accomplished people hiking the AT. They have written books, built and sold companies, invented household products, run large organizations, and more. I met one of the inventors of the Roomba hiking in Maryland. I met a President of a large company in Virginia. Of course, these folks would rather talk about hiking than themselves.
Who have you met on the trail?
(Please let's not discuss lying politicians this time! Thanks.)

Lugnut
12-03-2013, 20:11
I met Baltimore Jack. :p

Malto
12-03-2013, 20:27
I don't really know, I don't ask. One of the great things for me about the trail is not evaluating people based on traditional measure of success in the real world. I suspect I have met some "very successful people" but their feet hurt like everyone else's.

Traffic Jam
12-03-2013, 20:59
I agree with Malto. My sister made the mistake of asking someone once. He was a pastor. She wouldn't let me open the Tennessee Honey.

ChinMusic
12-03-2013, 21:08
I don't really know, I don't ask. One of the great things for me about the trail is not evaluating people based on traditional measure of success in the real world. I suspect I have met some "very successful people" but their feet hurt like everyone else's.

I'll be talking to my wife about some hikers I met on the trail. She will invariably ask, "What do they do?" My standard answer is, "walk". Drives her nuts.

jimmyjam
12-03-2013, 21:13
I agree with Malto. My sister made the mistake of asking someone once. He was a pastor. She wouldn't let me open the Tennessee Honey.

Awww. I would have had to sneak off and have some, I love that stuff.:)

hikerboy57
12-03-2013, 21:14
i stayed at madison hut once and met the guy who used to sing the shaeffer beer jingle. its how he introduced himself to me(he started singing"shaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.") , which i found pretty funny. while we were sitting around before dinner, his daughter told the guy i was sitting next to that he looked familiar, was he on tv? i dont remember the guys name(i wasnt really that interested) but ironically, i do remember he said he was on law and order from time to time and had appeared in funny farm and american beauty.jack something,i think.
i agree with malto. i just want to know who they are on the trail, dont care who they are off it.and i may not want to know who they are at all.

Des
12-03-2013, 21:33
I met an accomplished opera singer walking through the Whites. Saw her at Lake of the Clouds and a couple days later at Carter. Only really realized it when she gave a small performance for us. Not something I normally inquire about, although it does often seem to come up if you walk with someone for long enough.

Jeff
12-03-2013, 22:33
Although I met him in the trail town of Manchester VT where he makes his home, Jonathan Goldsmith is "The Most Interesting Man in the World" at least according to Dos Equis.

Odd Man Out
12-03-2013, 22:40
I hear the governor of South Carolina hikes the AT ;-)

Slo-go'en
12-03-2013, 22:53
I meet a former Lt Gov of Virgina at Lost Mt shelter, the one just north of Damascus. Some very interesting people from all walks of life can be found on the AT. People you would never, ever have met in your "normal" day to day life. One of the things which makes the AT interesting.

ChinMusic
12-03-2013, 23:00
Some very interesting people from all walks of life can be found on the AT. People you would never, ever have met in your "normal" day to day life. One of the things which makes the AT interesting.

I often thought on the trail, while talking with someone, "Neither one of us you have chosen to chat in the 'real world'. The wall would have been too high". Those walls do not exist on the trail.

max patch
12-03-2013, 23:01
I'm gonna meet Dakota Joe when he starts his hike. That'll be my claim to fame.

I've talked to both Hulk Hogan and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) in the Atlanta airport. But neither one of them has Dakota Joes hiking resume.

I also met and talked to Ed Garvey at 3 Forks (mm 4 in GA) on the first day of his last thru hike attempt.

And of course Jack but everybody has run into Jack at some point.

MuddyWaters
12-03-2013, 23:01

+ here too.

When Ive hiked with some folks for a while, I may inquire what they do. Or inquiry about a trail name may lead to it. But , reajust making small talk to pass time, really dont care. If the conversation goes there OK, but I dont fish. In some ways, I dont want to know. Im pretty vague usually myself if asked. I just dont think it should be important.

The trail is a great equalizer. Young and old, wealthy and poor, men and women, can meet, chat, eat, hike, and sleep next to each other. People that wouldnt speak to the other in everyday life, can be quick friends on the trail. I am constantly amazed.

Ive always said that people should be more like dogs. A dog meets you, sniffs you, and in 5 minutes your the best friend he ever had.
The trail is as close to that in real life as you can get.

jfarrell04
12-03-2013, 23:22
Met Thurston Griggs on the trail back in October 2005

HikerMom58
12-03-2013, 23:29
+ here too.

When Ive hiked with some folks for a while, I may inquire what they do. Or inquiry about a trail name may lead to it. But , reajust making small talk to pass time, really dont care. If the conversation goes there OK, but I dont fish. In some ways, I dont want to know. Im pretty vague usually myself if asked. I just dont think it should be important.

The trail is a great equalizer. Young and old, wealthy and poor, men and women, can meet, chat, eat, hike, and sleep next to each other. People that wouldnt speak to the other in everyday life, can be quick friends on the trail. I am constantly amazed.

Ive always said that people should be more like dogs. A dog meets you, sniffs you, and in 5 minutes your the best friend he ever had.
The trail is as close to that in real life as you can get.

+ here again. EXCEPT ... "inquiring minds" want to know as much as one will share. I find people interesting and I LOVE to hear "their story". Everyone has a story you know! ;) Every person's story is interesting & no less important than anyone else.

hikerboy57
12-03-2013, 23:43
sometimes, in fact most times, people want to remain anonymous.the actor i had met at the hut was almost embarrassed by his notoriety.

ChinMusic
12-03-2013, 23:48
I thought i saw Uncle Si on the trail, but it was just a mirror.

Trailweaver
12-04-2013, 03:09
I met two rocket scientists once around Woody Gap. They were the real thing: had ID's from Huntsville, we're engineers who'd helped launch several spacecraft. It was a fascinating conversation. They'd carried very, very heavy packs from Amicolola and since it had rained for days, all their gear was wet, so they were miserable.

They snored so loud, they could have drowned out a rocket launch!!

Trebor66
12-04-2013, 05:32
I'm gonna meet Dakota Joe when he starts his hike. That'll be my claim to fame.

I've talked to both Hulk Hogan and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) in the Atlanta airport. But neither one of them has Dakota Joes hiking resume.

I also met and talked to Ed Garvey at 3 Forks (mm 4 in GA) on the first day of his last thru hike attempt.

And of course Jack but everybody has run into Jack at some point.

I met him for dinner in Woodstock on Monday. He's a interesting guy, nothing like what I expected, but then again I didn't call him Chad...

garlic08
12-04-2013, 09:11
On my AT hike I met both Warren Doyle and Baltimore Jack. I met both The Onion and Mr Magoo on their historic CDT yo-yos in '07. I ran into Sly in Glacier Park that same trip.

Anybody famous for not hiking? Let's see--I did open a ranch gate for Bruce Babbitt (former AZ gov and Sec'y of the Interior under Clinton, (back when I was alive)), when I was hiking across his ranch on the AZT. I said it was an honor meeting him and he told me what cattle tanks had water in them. He had a truck load of salt licks. (Later, at Lockwood Tank, I had to push through a herd of his thirsty bulls to get to water, one of the more nervous maneuvers I've ever done while hiking.)

slbirdnerd
12-04-2013, 09:21
I wouldn't ask but it's neat to know sometimes. Part of what I love about hiking is the same as part of what I love about my motorcycling community too--it doesn't matter.

Mags
12-04-2013, 10:54
I have had the pleasure of meeting many trail maintainers. Accomplished people who make the trails what they are.

Thanks!!!

Old Hiker
12-04-2013, 11:56
On my AT hike I met both Warren Doyle and Baltimore Jack. I met both The Onion and Mr Magoo on their historic CDT yo-yos in '07. I ran into Sly in Glacier Park that same trip.

Anybody famous for not hiking? Let's see--I did open a ranch gate for Bruce Babbitt (former AZ gov and Sec'y of the Interior under Clinton, (back when I was alive)), when I was hiking across his ranch on the AZT. I said it was an honor meeting him and he told me what cattle tanks had water in them. He had a truck load of salt licks. (Later, at Lockwood Tank, I had to push through a herd of his thirsty bulls to get to water, one of the more nervous maneuvers I've ever done while hiking.)

So sorry to hear of your demise. I must have missed it here on White Blaze. Who can we send the cards/donations to? :)

My most memorable accomplished person was the young lady with a soft cast on her sprained ankle who STILL was hiking faster than I was.

tiptoe
12-04-2013, 12:26
Mostly you just chat on the trail, and you don't know won't know you are talking to a famous person unless you recognize him/her or the person reveals his/her identity or profession. A long time ago I met Linda Ellerbee on the AT in Connecticut. She introduced herself to me, using her real name, and since I looked clueless, she announced that she was a TV Nickelodeon personality. Unfortunately for her, she had met a person who doesn't own a functioning TV and doesn't want to. Another time, at the shelter near Hanover, I met a recent retiree from the NSA and I thoughtlessly asked what he did there. The response was predictable: If I told you, I'd have to kill you. I formally withdrew the question, and went on to discuss the Orozco murals in the basement of the Dartmouth library. These are well worth a visit, but I digress.
http://hoodmuseum.dartmouth.edu/docs/orozcobrochure.pdf

Nooga
12-04-2013, 13:00
I meet C. Everett Koop, former US Surgeon General, on the trail in Southern Maine.

A.T.Lt
12-04-2013, 13:07
Ive met many people in the midst of their thru hikes...most more than half way to the end. To me these are people that have "accomplished" something...celebrities or the like dont interest me.

sbhikes
12-04-2013, 16:13
I met a guy named Dakota Mike. I think he turned up in a book I read once. Also met Billy Goat and Nimblewill Nomad. None of these folks are wealthy or anything like that. Met a guy named Tahoe Mike. I hear he has his own helicopter. He's probably somebody.

rickb
12-04-2013, 17:42
Like a great many thru hikers back then, I was waited on and served pie by the wife of a renowned NH governor at sugar shack near Mt. Cube.

Might have seemed odd in another place, but in New Hampshire the only thing remarkable about the experience was how good the pie tasted.

max patch
12-04-2013, 17:47
Like a great many thru hikers back then, I was waited on and served pie by the wife of a renowned NH governor at sugar shack near Mt. Cube.

Might have seemed odd in another place, but in New Hampshire the only thing remarkable about the experience was how good the pie tasted.

I forgot to mention that. Except I didn't have pie, I had pancakes and sausage with maple syrup that came from the family farm. After the wife gave me tour of the whole maple syrup making process. Silly me, I thot they still hung pails on trees. I also got to talk to Gov Thomson while he let me spend the nite in his barn.

MDSection12
12-04-2013, 17:53
I've met some self-proclaimed accomplished people on the trail, but I always wonder if they're just telling stories out of boredom.

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 18:00
@nd thurn hiker i met on the trail was a Mass public defender.

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 18:01
@nd thurn hiker i met on the trail was a Mass public defender.

OOPS! 2nd thru hiker....damn these cold fat fingers!!

lemon b
12-04-2013, 18:34
Ward"ChiP" Leonard several times. I actually get alone with him, but the dude sure can eat. Bet he's gone from NH to Ct many times without hardly stopping since he has family in both places. Last time I saw him was three years ago between Rte 23 in Ma and the flats. I was on the way out and handed off my excess food which he made quick work off than he was off like a flash.

Ox97GaMe
12-04-2013, 22:22
I met the CEO of GoLite at Springer several years ago when he was attempting to set the AT record for distance without a resupply. He did a lot of talking about all the records that he supposedly had set on various trails. He left Springer with 127 lbs. He made it to Neels Gap. Winton said that he did set a record for most amount of gear shipped from Walasi-Yi Outfitters by a hiker.

Im sure that of the 3000+ thru hikers I have met over the years, some of them have been 'famous' in the non-hiking world. They introduce themselves by their trail names, so I dont know what they do in the real world.

Astro
12-05-2013, 00:39
On my AT hike I met both Warren Doyle and Baltimore Jack.

I assume at different times. If both at the same time, that might have been an event you could have sold tickets for. ;)

Siarl
12-05-2013, 05:28
I agree with those who would rather not know or would like to remain anonymous as far as their secular gains or losses. After all, I haven't hiked the AT yet. That will be another year and a half from now if it works out that way. But I have hiked other trails within myself and sometimes those were the hardest trails of all. I've lived where I am the minority and the language spoke around me was not my natural one. That was one of the first lessons I learned in life. That was a trail for me to hike. Many times we judge those based on our own experiences and our own worldly status. It doesn't matter if you are incredibly wealthy, intelligent or not. If you look closely, you will find that either side would rather not be judged by their worldly status. On the trail, you are the others equal, both shall fall the same, and help the same.

fredmugs
12-05-2013, 09:28
Jenn Pharr Davis blew past me in Maine on her record setting hike. I also ran into Warren Doyle who was supporting her but didn't know it was him at the time. This August I met Scott Williamson and then Anish who was looking for Scott. Those people have certainly accomplished more than any TV personality.

A certain former high ranking official within the EPA is an active member here but I'm not naming names. We hiked through the Superfund site in PA together.

HikerMom58
12-05-2013, 10:01
Jenn Pharr Davis blew past me in Maine on her record setting hike. I also ran into Warren Doyle who was supporting her but didn't know it was him at the time. This August I met Scott Williamson and then Anish who was looking for Scott. Those people have certainly accomplished more than any TV personality.

A certain former high ranking official within the EPA is an active member here but I'm not naming names. We hiked through the Superfund site in PA together.

But, now I want to know who it is... :mad::D

lissersmith
12-05-2013, 14:34
I met Andie McDowell (Groundhog Day actress) At Tricorner Knob in the GSMNP.

Tipi Walter
12-05-2013, 15:13
I knew a guy who met Pres Lyndon Johnson but that was right after he "thruhiked" the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Dogwood
12-05-2013, 17:01
I could drop all sorts of famous names - publically recognized, wealthy, powerful, influential people in high places I've met while hiking - Governors, Senators, Oscar Award winners, other actors/actresses, Hollywood Directors and Producers, professional athletes, Olympics athletes, owners of professional sports teams(NBA, MLB for example), authors, scientists, journalists, many on TV, CEOs/Owners of major companies, trail "celebrities", blah blah blah but as far as meeting "accomplished" people out hiking I consider EVERYONE who breaks from the status quo by hiking/backpacking to be ACCOMPLISHED!

I'm fairly confident the "famous" people I have recognized hiking/backpacking, and I had the fortune to spend some time with, pales in comparison to those whom I didn't recognize. You don't always know where and when you'll meet "famous" people that have the potential of altering your life and THEY DO NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHEN THEY WILL MEET SOMEONE LIKE ME THAT HAS THE SAME POTENTIAL OF ALTERING THEIR LIVES.

One thing that should be noted is that when you do notice these "accomplished" people hiking/backpacking they are probably doing it to remove themselves from the oohs and ahhs of public life so we might be respectful of that. They too are attempting to experience something by hiking/backpacking. LET THEM DO IT!

ChinMusic
12-05-2013, 17:10
We need a thread on "Infamous People..."

garlic08
12-05-2013, 17:52
I met Andie McDowell (Groundhog Day actress) At Tricorner Knob in the GSMNP.

My vote for best one so far. I would have enjoyed that.

chiefiepoo
12-05-2013, 20:14
Met a lady who was an Army Apache pilot along the trail in GA back in 2011. Very few of them as I understand.

Old Hillwalker
12-06-2013, 08:44
I had the pleasure of walking for two days on the Camino this past September and spending one night in the La Faba Auberge with a group of people which included actor Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber from Diehard) got a few pictures too. He wasn't saying who he was but his accent and face it was hard to hide.

V Eight
12-06-2013, 10:40
RedHat, Smokestack,Lone Wolf, Sgt Rock, Lumpy, Pirate, Miss Janet, Fishin Fred, Ron Haven, Baltamore Jack and a dozen more that I can't remember there names right now. All on the same day in Franklin, NC

slbirdnerd
12-06-2013, 13:17
I met a guy named Dakota Mike. I think he turned up in a book I read once. Also met Billy Goat and Nimblewill Nomad. None of these folks are wealthy or anything like that. Met a guy named Tahoe Mike. I hear he has his own helicopter. He's probably somebody.
I'd love to meet Nimblewill Nomad (reading now) on the trail and some of the other author hikers I've read! That'd be a lot cooler to me than your stereotypical celebrities.