PDA

View Full Version : Xtra fuel

squeezebox
12-03-2013, 19:42
What do you do to make sure you don't run out of stove fuel, without carrying to much extra crap. alcohol, canisters, seems likes nobody carries wisperlite etc. stoves 11 oz. plus fuel bottle & fuel, really heavy, // but the folks with 5 kids might carry 2.

moldy
12-03-2013, 19:51
I only carry one fuel canister and my back up is "campfire".

Starchild
12-03-2013, 19:59
When i used Esbit I learned to supplement the esbit with twigs, also used scavenged (on ground or 'weeping' off tree) birch bark as a experiment. Twigs worked fine in extending limited Esbit fuel, but only stretches it maybe 50%. Birch bark could be used as a emergency fuel but causes a sticky mess on the pot.

With the jetboil cup, I was able to use a tealight candle holder and alcohol fuel to get a boil, also using esbit, also using campfire.

Other hikers sometimes are a source of fuel in such cases.

juma
12-03-2013, 20:13
you gotta know based on your experience how many boils you can get for your food choices. then, you keep count and buy another in plenty of time or just in time. a little gas container is usually 19-20 boils for me in normal hiking weather. takes and ounce of alcohol for a 12 oz boil with my alky stove. If its 30* or less all the time, I cut my estimate back a third, maybe more. If you have to boil up a water bottle at nite, then better bring two canisters.

Malto
12-03-2013, 20:28
I don't carry any fuel. I bum off the heavy weight hikers. :)

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2013, 20:34
In winter or colder conditions I always carry a second fuel cannister. In the summer i barely even use my stove and wouldn't miss it if i couldnt use it.

colorado_rob
12-03-2013, 20:46
With the jetboil cup, I was able to use a tealight candle holder and alcohol fuel to get a boil, also using esbit, also using campfire.
. This, exactly, thanks to Starchild who posted this idea some time ago. Thanks! My emergency fire starters, Trioxane, are equivalent to Esbit tabs, I think at least, and they work great under a jetboil pot for backup. 1/2 tab boils 2.5 cups nicely.

rangeley
12-03-2013, 21:41
My stove is a wood burner, and I bought an alcohol burning insert that I can use when I want. My fire building skills are pretty good unless the wood is totally soaked and I enjoy burning wood, so I don't need to carry a ton of fuel. I'd recommend a wood burner like a qiwiz stove or a caldera cone

MuddyWaters
12-04-2013, 00:00
I carry exactly enough fuel , + maybe 1 extra oz or so because Im paranoid.

My backup plan is to eat cold crunchy noodles without coffee.

Its not really as bad as it sounds.

If you object, eat lukewarm slightly crunchy noodles for a a few meals

Or, stretch your other food out, and do without crunchy noodles all together.

Plenty of possibilities.

None of which end in starvation and death.

If the scenario doesnt end in death, dismemberment, or severe personal injury, you probably dont need to worry too much about it.

Tri-Pod Bob
12-04-2013, 07:11
SOLO wood burning stove with a trangia back-up + 4-6 oz denatured alcohol

daddytwosticks
12-04-2013, 08:13
I'm just a section hiker. I've never run out of fuel on my hikes, whether I'm using my canister stove or esbit stove. If I were to go on a thru hike or long distance extended hike, I'd use my canister stove and throw an esbit tab or two into my first aid/emergency kit for back up. Or better yet, go stoveless to start with. :)

garlic08
12-04-2013, 08:48
I carry exactly enough fuel , + maybe 1 extra oz or so because Im paranoid.

My backup plan is to eat cold crunchy noodles without coffee.

Its not really as bad as it sounds.

If you object, eat lukewarm slightly crunchy noodles for a a few meals

Or, stretch your other food out, and do without crunchy noodles all together.

Plenty of possibilities.

None of which end in starvation and death.

If the scenario doesnt end in death, dismemberment, or severe personal injury, you probably dont need to worry too much about it.

Although Muddy Waters says he lives in a state of confusion, this is a very clear answer. It's smart to carry food that you don't have to cook. Instant mashed potatoes is another good one. You don't have to cook rolled or instant or quick oats--they are parboiled during processing. If you can soak them for a few minutes, fine but not necessary. There are times I haven't cooked even when I had plenty of fuel, as in extreme weather or clouds of mosquitoes and black flies. Or just too knackered.

A goal of mine is to hike into a resupply with no consumables left at all--no food, water, or fuel (if I carry a stove, which is very seldom). I feel I've succeeded in my planning and that last day is a hiker's dream, just flying along. I'll often dump my water a few miles away if I have any, to get that feeling.

swjohnsey
12-04-2013, 09:05
In cold weather I carry Simmerlite. If you are out more than 5 days lighter than alcohol because of less fuel consumption.

Gonecampn
12-04-2013, 13:25
I only carry one fuel canister and my back up is "campfire".

+1. I also Keep an Esbit tablet or two in my bag for back up as well.