PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing trip out west

Labojo
12-04-2013, 11:11
I'm trying to plan a 4-7 day trip out west this coming summer. I'm debating between Utah, California, and Colorado. If anyone knows of a great trip that could be done within 4-7 days please let me know. Thanks.

Sly
12-04-2013, 11:36
That's not a lot of time since you'd need the better part of a day getting there and back from most destinations, but you can't miss with Yosemite.

Coffee
12-04-2013, 11:42
The North Lake-South Lake loop would be a good possibility for a one week trip. Includes some of the best parts of the JMT.

Labojo
12-04-2013, 12:30
I was thinking the JMT but could not find much info on trips other than an entire thru hike which I don't have the time for. Would it be fairly easy to get a permit for the loop hike?

Gonecampn
12-04-2013, 13:00
My favorite spot to hike out West is Utah's Canyonlands. I also like Arches. Zion is simply AMAZING if you can tolerate the crowd.

Mags
12-04-2013, 13:34
When this summer? Too early, and you hit snow in some areas. Too late and you hit the heat in some areas (like Utah).

Gonecampn
12-04-2013, 13:43
When this summer? Too early, and you hit snow in some areas. Too late and you hit the heat in some areas (like Utah).

I've hiked Utah for the past three summers in either July or August. It's hot but it's really not as bad as it is here in Bama with 90% humidity. We were only doing day hikes and carry 2-3 litters of water each. It was very enjoyable. This humidity around here will kill ya ;)

Labojo
12-04-2013, 13:47
Month doesn't matter too much. Anytime between mid May and early august.

Spirit Walker
12-04-2013, 13:56
Glacier NP is always great. The Absaroka Beartooths are also incredible, and you don't need a permit. Same with the Wind River Range. All of those are best hiked mid-July to late August. Most western hiking is done either early (April to early May in the desert areas) or mid-late summer (higher elevations). It is hard to find good places to hike in late-May to early June because it is hot in the desert and snow-covered in the mountains. Bugs can be a problem soon after snow-melt, but the flowers are beautiful then. Late summer (August-September) the bugs are usually gone, but you also run the risk of early snows.

Coffee
12-04-2013, 14:03
I was thinking the JMT but could not find much info on trips other than an entire thru hike which I don't have the time for. Would it be fairly easy to get a permit for the loop hike?

It is quite a bit easier based on my experience this year. I ended up with a thru hike of the JMT but I also had reserves a permit through Inyo National Forest for entry at North Lake in order to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. I had to secure the JMT permit starting in Yosemite exactly 168 days prior to the entry date and permits filled up that day. The Inyo permit I reserved well after the start of the six month reservation window. You could also try for walk in permits but with a limited time for the hike I'd try to get something reserved.

One other option might be the Rae Lakes loop but permits may be more difficult for that hike vs. the N. Lake - S. Lake loop.

Another option could be Onion Valley to Whitney Portal (also through Inyo) which could include Mt. Whitney but the exit permits for Whitney Portal can be difficult to obtain.

The entire JMT is great but some of the highlights are along the parts of the trail included in the N .Lake - S Lake loop, and the Rae Lakes Loop.

Dogwood
12-04-2013, 14:58
Would like to offer suggestions IF you narrowed things down a bit more. So far, we have a 4-7 day hike May through Aug out west. That's a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE array of options. I'm not inclined to yell out from the sidelines outside the stadium on the other side of town trying to get your attention when you're inside the stadium attempting to field suggestions from others while you're gnoshing two dogs and a jumbo sized beer. Seriously, c'mon the "west" is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG place. California, Utah, and Colorado are BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG places with LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS(an infinite, many human lifetimes) of 4-7 day hiking options from May to Aug.

Mags
12-04-2013, 15:54
I've hiked Utah for the past three summers in either July or August. It's hot but it's really not as bad as it is here in Bama with 90% humidity. We were only doing day hikes and carry 2-3 litters of water each. It was very enjoyable. This humidity around here will kill ya ;)

That's atypical and generally not suggested for most people.

I've been known to hike 20+ MPD off-trail and making up my own route. Does not mean I'd suggest it to someone new to Colorado without knowing them. :)

Labojo
12-04-2013, 15:59
Basically I'm just looking for an unforgettable trip to take during the summer break before my last semester. I'm thinking either canyonlands in May or jmt section in late July or early august.

sbhikes
12-04-2013, 16:07
I have to second the suggestion for the Winds. By far that is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Mags
12-04-2013, 16:14
I have to second the suggestion for the Winds. By far that is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Third that. :)

If you go in May, can't go wrong with Canyonlands. Relatively accessible, but not nearly as crowded as Arches. The Needles district has some nice hiking trails that should give you a taste of Red Rock country without being as difficult as say the Maze District.

If you have time, Arches is well worth playing "Windshield Tourist" even if it is a bit crowded at times. The "Island in the Sky" district of Canyonlands is mainly day hikes, but still some nice ones. The Confluence hike in particular is well worth doing. There is a crater impact site you can hike into as well.

jimmyjam
12-04-2013, 16:15
My favorite spot to hike out West is Utah's Canyonlands. I also like Arches. Zion is simply AMAZING if you can tolerate the crowd.

+1 for Utah . you could spend s couple of days in Zion and then head over to Bryce Canyon and do a bunch of nice day loops or overnighters on the below the rim trail.

Gonecampn
12-04-2013, 17:31
I forgot about Bryce! There are definitely endless possibilities in Utah! Another place that I loved was Mesa Verde in Colorado. Not sure how much hiking there is though. We spent two nights in Cayonlands. I would have loved to have had a couple days more to explore. We did a little bit of off-trail and that's were we found the most amazing views. We camped at a somewhat primitive CG inside the park. It was VERY nice. Each site had a picnic table with a very nice shelter and they had clean "toilet only" rest rooms.

Slo-go'en
12-04-2013, 18:36
My bank is putting together a National Parks tour group with stops at Scottsdale, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone/Old Faithfull, Sheridan, Bighorn mountains, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. All in 11 days from NH. I'm tempted to sign up as I've never been to most of those places, but I'm afraid we'll spend more time on the bus driving between these places then actually being at any of them. I suppose I could bring my backpack and if I find a place I'd like to spend more time at, I'll just tell them I'll eventually find my own way home :)

As for the OPs question - man, just so many neat places to pick from. I would imagine where you pick to go would have a lot to do with how you'd get there and back. Driving or public transportation? It looks like at least a 2 day drive from Alabama to get to anywhere interesting. I'd think you'd need at least 2 weeks to make this a worth while trip. I suppose you could fly and then rent a car, but you'd still kill the better part of a day and half doing that.

gollwoods
12-04-2013, 19:01
never been myself, but i've read trip reports that have hikes up and back in the wind river range in two days or one real long long day for people familar with the trail, you could do something there and maybe a short trip in the tetons . or check some hikes in yellowstone.

fiddlehead
12-04-2013, 19:12
So many hikes out west, so little time, aye?
Depends if you like lots of people around (Winds, Yosemite, Tahoe Rim)
Or not: Wiminuche, South San Juans, Carson pass area, Steamboat.
Or desert: Monument Valley, Joshua tree, north rim of Grand Canyon, Zion

Also depends on your snow travel ability if you want spectacular.
The more information you can give, the better we can help.

Labojo
12-04-2013, 19:52
I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Yosemite area or Canyonlands.

Ox97GaMe
12-04-2013, 22:06
Canyonlands area in late June-late Aug can reach triple digit temperatures, and even though they talk about it being a 'dry' heat, if you arent prepared it can kill you. Rattlesnakes will also be a concern that time of year.

Higher elevations of Calfornia, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana will have deep snow until early-mid June.

You may want to make your final call once you know the specific date of your trip.

Plan a half day drive to Yosemite from San Jose/SanFran/Oakland airports.

Getting to Canyonlands is going to be a long drive from any major airport. I think the closest airport of any significant size is Grand Junction CO(still small), which is about 3-4 hrs away.

Leanthree
12-04-2013, 23:28
1) Canyonlands will blow you away if you have never seen anything like it. Arches, Bryce and Zion are fantastic too.
2) Area near Telluride. Mt Snuffles Wilderness is a classically beautiful Rockies area. Waterfalls, Wild Flowers, Snow-capped peaks.

CarlZ993
12-05-2013, 00:09
It is quite a bit easier based on my experience this year. I ended up with a thru hike of the JMT but I also had reserves a permit through Inyo National Forest for entry at North Lake in order to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. I had to secure the JMT permit starting in Yosemite exactly 168 days prior to the entry date and permits filled up that day. The Inyo permit I reserved well after the start of the six month reservation window. You could also try for walk in permits but with a limited time for the hike I'd try to get something reserved.

One other option might be the Rae Lakes loop but permits may be more difficult for that hike vs. the N. Lake - S. Lake loop.

Another option could be Onion Valley to Whitney Portal (also through Inyo) which could include Mt. Whitney but the exit permits for Whitney Portal can be difficult to obtain.

The entire JMT is great but some of the highlights are along the parts of the trail included in the N .Lake - S Lake loop, and the Rae Lakes Loop.

Good choices here. CA Sierras are spectacular.

If you decide on CO, try doing the 4-pass Loop outside of Aspen. Four passes of 12K' over about 28 miles. Take an extra day at Snowmass Lake if you wish to summit Snowmass Mountain (14K'; not the same mtn as the ski resort). No permits required. Later in your time table would be better than earlier.

UT? Might be a little warm. Earlier in your time table, you can try Paria Canyon (w/ or w/o Buckskin Gulch; longest slot canyon in the world). Permits can be tough. Point-to-point hike requires a vehicle shuttle of some sort.

davidc329
12-05-2013, 08:42
I'm training now for a GC Rim to Rim hike ...in one day ....looking for anyone interested and attempting the same trip...my dates are flexible but September / October are preferable because of elevation, heat and other weather related issues.

fredmugs
12-05-2013, 09:00
I've done Yellowstone where we base camped and day hiked for a week. Pretty awesome to stroll past bison and one day we encountered a pack of wolves.

I would also recommend a stretch of the PCT in Washington state but you really need to spend at least two weeks on the trail up there.

colorado_rob
12-05-2013, 11:40
Basically I'm just looking for an unforgettable trip to take during the summer break before my last semester. I'm thinking either canyonlands in May or jmt section in late July or early august. Can't go too wrong with Canyonlands, really. May is OK, early May would be better, these nasty little biting flies come out around Mid May, depending on the year. Despite what some might say, I'd really avoid SE Utah in June/July, though there are some higher altitude ares, like Cedar Mesa (6000+ feet, stays a bit cooler). STILL, I have to make my Colorado plug... google up the Aspen four-pass loop. I've done this loop many times now, a couple times in a day, but as a 2-nighter or even 3-nighter there is so much to see and do, including hiking some peaks. Easy to fill 6 days doing things in the area. Other than the JMT, the Aspen 4-pass is the 2nd most beautiful trail in the USA. 26 miles, four passes, lots of great camping places. Not sure the elevation gain, but it's up there, maybe 9-10000' or so. Mid July and on is perfect for this loop (generally lots of lingering snow in June and even very early July).

DandT40
12-05-2013, 11:54
Would like to offer suggestions IF you narrowed things down a bit more. So far, we have a 4-7 day hike May through Aug out west. That's a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE array of options. I'm not inclined to yell out from the sidelines outside the stadium on the other side of town trying to get your attention when you're inside the stadium attempting to field suggestions from others while you're gnoshing two dogs and a jumbo sized beer. Seriously, c'mon the "west" is a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG place. California, Utah, and Colorado are BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG places with LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS(an infinite, many human lifetimes) of 4-7 day hiking options from May to Aug.

I completely agree. Even picking one of those states just starts to narrow it down. Just too many options. Like many others I could suggest the few trails I have personally done out there, but thats a drop in the bucket. To the OP I would pick one area or park that you want to go to and then go from there. There are A LOT of options and even for me coming from Chicago similar to you coming from the south, there is a huge difference in cost and time going to California vs. Colorado so that may influence your decision too.

colorado_rob
12-05-2013, 12:01
Might want to read the thread... seems he's kinda nailed it down a bit.....

DandT40
12-05-2013, 12:10
Might want to read the thread... seems he's kinda nailed it down a bit.....
Yeah my bad... :(

jimmyjam
12-05-2013, 14:31
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1822490]My bank is putting together a National Parks tour group with stops at Scottsdale, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone/Old Faithfull, Sheridan, Bighorn mountains, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. All in 11 days from NH. I'm tempted to sign up as I've never been to most of those places, but I'm afraid we'll spend more time on the bus driving between these places then actually being at any of them.

My wife and I did a similar one week whirlwind tour. Now we go back every other year for week at Bryce, the GC, or the Cedar Mesa area .Its all good. go see Angels Landing in Zion .

Dogwood
12-06-2013, 02:29
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1822490]My bank is putting together a National Parks tour group with stops at Scottsdale, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Salt Lake City, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone/Old Faithfull, Sheridan, Bighorn mountains, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. All in 11 days from NH. I'm tempted to sign up as I've never been to most of those places, but I'm afraid we'll spend more time on the bus driving between these places then actually being at any of them.

My wife and I did a similar one week whirlwind tour. Now we go back every other year for week at Bryce, the GC, or the Cedar Mesa area .Its all good. go see Angels Landing in Zion .

R U serious? 11 days all those places? from the east coast? That's 12 places total. Some of them rather LARGE in square miles such as Grand Canyon and Yellowstone NP. Enjoy the front gates, Visitors Centers and views through a vehicle window. People in banking should stick to banking because they don't know a damn thing about putting together a NP, AND ALL THOSE OTHER PLACES, tour.