PDA

View Full Version : Best lightweight sleeping pad?

LuckyMan
12-04-2013, 13:48
I have recently upgraded most of my decades-old backpacking gear and am happy with most of my choices so far, including TarpTent Notch and Gossamear Gear Mariposa pack. I still have a heavy full-length Thermarest and am looking for a lighter but still comfortable option, and am confounded by all the products out there. Among the choices I'm looking at are the Thermarest NeoAir XLite, the new Gossamer Gear Airbeam Sleeper (GG recommends a Thinlight foam pad beneath), new Multimat Superlite Air, Klymit Inertia O Zone or other Klymit Inertia model, Synmat UL 7, REI Flash Insulated Air, Mammut Alpine foam mat, and Big Agnes Q-Core SL or heavier Insulated Q-Core. I am a side sleeper and a light sleeper, 6'2", 180#, in my early 50s and plan to hike several hundred miles of trails a year in the coming years, spring through fall, including Colorado Trail, Benton Mackaye, John Muir, Foothills Trail and longish sections of the AT and PCT. I use a Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 bag (not recommended; despite its great cost it leaked down the first time I used it and had to be repaired). I'd appreciate any advice.

Mobius
12-04-2013, 14:03
I have the REI Flash pad (the full length one). I flop around a fair bit and do sleep on my side. I find it comfortable and easy to deal with.

However, the past couple trips I've been on have been in the 20's (F) at night and even with a 6 panel z-rest beneath the REI inflatable I feel the ground sucking the heat out of me. I've got an Xtherm in the mail that I hope will be warmer for these colder nights.

HooKooDooKu
12-04-2013, 14:24
Because of your size and sleep position, I would recommend a sleep pad that is at least 77"x25"x2" (i.e. larger than the standard 72"x20" size).

Since you're time frame is 3 season, it doesn't sound like you need a "winter" level pad (such as the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm). So I would look at the Therm-a-Rest Prolite series JUST to get an idea of the R level you might need.
The used to have the 'Prolite3' and 'Prolite4'... 3 for 3-season, 4 for 4-season. Today, they call them 'Prolite' and 'Prolite Plus'. They label the 'Prolite' as being a 3-season pad, but they don't specifically call the 'Prolite Plus' a 4-season bag. So that sounds to me like the 'Prolite Plus' is a 3-season pad with a little extra for warmth. The 'Prolite' has an R-Value of 2.2, while the 'Prolite Plus' has an R-Value of 3.8. So using that information, I'm going to suggest that you look for pads with an R-Value of at least 3.0. (BTW, the 'NeoAir All Season has an R-Value of 4.9 for comparison).

So I would review the specs of all the pads you were considering.
1. Throw out any pad that doesn't come in at least a 77"x25"x2" size.
2. Throw out any pad that doesn't have an R-Value of at least 4.0
3. Sort the remainders by weight (include anything extra you might need to inflate them).
4. Pay attention to rolled size.
5. Pick the lightest weight pad that doesn't have an unreasonable rolled size.

BTW, with the NeoAir, what I've learned is that unless they are changing the inner reflective layer, it doesn't really like to get wet. So I wouldn't recommend blowing up a NeoAir (or perhaps any pad) strictly with your breath. I've seen a few pads that have built-in hand pumps (look cool, don't know the weight penalty). There are battery operated inflater. I personally use the NeoAir Xlite and use a plastic garbage bag and a rubber band to inflate it. Simply cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Push the nozzle of the pad through the hole and use a rubber band to secure it in place. Then carefully capture air in the trash bag and squeeze it into the pad. When the pad is mostly inflated, remove the bag and finish topping it off with your breath. You'll have to either be careful not to overstress your bag when you squeeze it, or pay a small weight penalty and use plastic trash compactor bags.

bfayer
12-04-2013, 14:34
I highly recommend the Exped UL7 Synmat LW. It is a rather large mat to blow up, so I also highly recommend the Exped schnozzel pump bag, which can also double as a pack liner.

Very comfortable, warm down to the 20s, packs compact, not noisy, and very light for its size.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Rocket Jones
12-04-2013, 15:17
I like the NeoAir Trekker. It's a bit heavier than the standard models, both in weight and durability. I've got the standard size (72"x20"), but am seriously looking at the wide torso model (47"x25"), and will just use my pack under my legs.

My winter experience is to place a CCF pad on top of the NeoAir, it's warmer that way.

CarlZ993
12-04-2013, 16:06
I used the Xlite NeoAir on the AT this year. Worked great! I'm 6'1" & was hiking at 182 lbs (I weigh more since I've gotten back home to Momma's cooking). I was warm down to about 15 deg. The pad never leaked on me. I side sleep a lot. I made sure I always had a ground sheet beneath it when I used it in a shelter. Didn't want to snag it on something & cause a leak.

winger
12-04-2013, 16:34
Exped is the most comfortable pad for its weight that I've tried.

Nyte
12-04-2013, 16:42
I have the REI Flash pad (the full length one). I flop around a fair bit and do sleep on my side. I find it comfortable and easy to deal with.

However, the past couple trips I've been on have been in the 20's (F) at night and even with a 6 panel z-rest beneath the REI inflatable I feel the ground sucking the heat out of me. I've got an Xtherm in the mail that I hope will be warmer for these colder nights.

Put your Z rest on top of the air pad. The air in the pad is still moving too freely, and the ambient and moving air is sapping the heat.

Mobius
12-04-2013, 17:12
Put your Z rest on top of the air pad. The air in the pad is still moving too freely, and the ambient and moving air is sapping the heat.

Can't wait to try that out!

juma
12-04-2013, 17:39
because I side sleep I knew I could use a narrower pad so I had a downmat made by stephenson's warmlite. I'm 6' and had him make my mattress 5'10" and 20" wide at the shoulder. It weighes 19 oz and I estimate the R factor and at least 5.

Coffee
12-04-2013, 17:52
The Thermarest Prolite has been surprisingly comfortable and light at just about a pound and relatively cheap (often on sale). One advantage of the Prolite is that it is just an inch tall. That makes a difference in terms of keeping me and my bag away from condensation on the walls of my shelter. I personally also found the Prolite more comfortable than the Exped mat I tried previously. I like the fact that the prolite doesn't have any vertical or horizontal ridges -- it is just flat.

My advice is to buy the pad you think is the best fit from REI. If it doesn't work out, they will exchange it for another pad without any hassles.

russb
12-04-2013, 20:06

I used the xtherm with a ccf pad beneath it at -12*F and it was plenty warm. This was in a leanto with an elevated floor; I only mention this fact because these are typically colder than being on the ground.

rangeley
12-04-2013, 21:13
+1 on the prolite. It's comfortable and pretty light weight. Only being an inch tall is a lot less annoying when you inevitably roll off the pad. I would still recommend a ccf pad underneath it at temperatures 25* and less. I've had mine for more than a year and I've had no durability issues yet

daddytwosticks
12-05-2013, 08:16
The Thermarest Prolite has been surprisingly comfortable and light at just about a pound and relatively cheap (often on sale). One advantage of the Prolite is that it is just an inch tall. That makes a difference in terms of keeping me and my bag away from condensation on the walls of my shelter. I personally also found the Prolite more comfortable than the Exped mat I tried previously. I like the fact that the prolite doesn't have any vertical or horizontal ridges -- it is just flat.

My advice is to buy the pad you think is the best fit from REI. If it doesn't work out, they will exchange it for another pad without any hassles.

Agree. Best bang for the buck IMHO. :)

rocketsocks
12-05-2013, 09:24
Sleeping Pad R Values

http://sectionhiker.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbskeep/FoilOnRoofDSCF1672-732283(1).jpgMeasuring InsulationIf you’re a home owner, you are probably familiar with the concept of an R-Value. If not, it’s a measure used in the building and construction industry to rate the thermal resistance of building insulation under specific test conditions. The higher the R value, the more effective it is.
R value performance testing is done in a 70 F environment with no air movement. As such, it doesn’t reflect many real world conditions where you’d use a sleeping pad, so I highly recommend that you augment any gear selection that you make based on it with field testing.
If you are interested in sleeping pads for early spring, late autumn or winter conditions, R-Value is additive. When it gets cold, I like to use two pads, a closed cell foam pad and an insulated inflatable one with a combined R-Value of at least 5.
For purposes of backpacking, you also need to factor in weight, comfort, compressibility, and rigidity when you make a sleeping pad selection. In addition, side sleepers may not receive the full R-value of benefit of an inflatable insulated pad because their bodies are not in full contact with the surface of the pad. This is particularly true for insulated sleeping pads that depend on your body heat to warm them up, including the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir product line, Exped’s DownMats and Big Agnes’ Insulated Pads.
Sleeping Pad R-Value ComparisonThe following table provides a side by side comparison of the major sleeping pads available in the US market. The pad weights listed are sized for 72″ long x 20″ wide pads, though there are a few exceptions below. The R-Value of a pad should still remain the same if you select a longer, shorter, or wider variation of the pad. If a sleeping pad has a R-Value of “Not Available”, it’s because the manufacturer has not supplied one or R-value testing has not been performed.

Manufacturer
Model
R-Value
Weight (oz)
Thickness (in)
Price USD
Type

Big Agnes
Clearview
Inflatable

Big Agnes
Aircore
Inflatable

Big Agnes
Insulated Aircore
Inflatable

Big Agnes
Insulated Q-Core
Inflatable

Big Agnes
Insulated Q-Core SL (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ale&pw=3816&mi=10248&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F846673%2F big-agnes-q-core-sl-sleeping-pad)
Inflatable

Big Agnes
Dual Core
Inflatable

Klymit
Inertia X Frame
Not Avail.
Inflatable

Klymit
Static V
Inflatable

Klymit
Inertia XL
Not Avail.
Inflatable

Klymit
Insulated Static V
Inflatable

Klymit
Inertia X-Lite
Not Avail.
Inflatable

Therm-arest
Z-lite SOL
Closed Cell

Therm-a-Rest
Prolite
Self-Inflating

Therm-a-Rest
Prolite Womens
Self-Inflating

Therm-a-Rest
NeoAir XLite
Inflatable

Therm-a-Rest
NeoAir XLite Womens
Inflatable

Therm-a-Rest
NeoAir XTherm
Inflatable

Therm-a-Rest
NeoAir All Season
Inflatable

Therm-a-Rest
NeoAir Trekker
Inflatable

Therm-a-Rest
Ridgerest Solar
Closed Cell

Therm-a-Rest
Ridgerest SOLite
Closed Cell

Therma-Rest
Prolite Plus
Self-Inflating

Therma-Rest
Prolite Plus Womens
Self-Inflating

Therm-a-Rest
Trail Lite
Self-Inflating

Exped
Downmat 7
Inflatable

Exped
Downmat UL 7
Inflatable

Exped
Downmat 9
Inflatable

Exped
Synmat 7
Inflatable

Exped
Synmat UL 7
Inflatable

Exped
Synmat 9
Inflatable

Exped
Airmat Basic 7.5
Inflatable

Exped
Airmat Basic UL 7.5
Inflatable

Gossamer Gear
Nightlight (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html)
Closed Cell

NEMO
TUO Standard
Not Avail.
Inflatable

NEMO
Astro Air
Not Avail.
Inflatable

NEMO
Astro Insulated
Not Avail.
Inflatable

NEMO
Cosmo Air
Not Avail.
Inflatable

NEMO
Cosmo Insulated
Not Avail.
Inflatable

NEMO
ZOR
Not Avail.
Inflatable

REI
Standard Blue Foam (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ale&pw=3816&mi=10248&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F374059%2F standard-blue-foam-pad-long)
Foam

REI
Lite-Core 1.5 (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ale&pw=3816&mi=10248&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F778146)
Self-Inflating

REI
Trekker 1.75 (http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=ale&pw=3816&mi=10248&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F778148)
Self-Inflating

always found this helpful...from http://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/

Tipi Walter
12-05-2013, 10:14
Beware of the highly vaunted Exped Downmat!! I just got back from a cold Thanksgiving trip and on Day 1 of a 19 day swaray had this wonderful thing happen to me with the Oh-So-Crappy Exped---one of the baffle tubes burst necessitating a trip detour 12 miles away to an emergency Thermarest cache. You can't sleep on a bulbous air bladder, and it's just a matter of time before another tube pops.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-XgfnnwC/0/L/TRIP%20151%20040-L.jpg

Nooga
12-05-2013, 10:22
I used the Xlite NeoAir on the AT this year. Worked great! I'm 6'1" & was hiking at 182 lbs (I weigh more since I've gotten back home to Momma's cooking). I was warm down to about 15 deg. The pad never leaked on me. I side sleep a lot. I made sure I always had a ground sheet beneath it when I used it in a shelter. Didn't want to snag it on something & cause a leak.

Agree. This was my experience last year with the Xlite NeoAir. No issues and very comfortable.

colorado_rob
12-05-2013, 10:46
I... I am a side sleeper and a light sleeper, 6'2", 180#, in my early 50s and plan to hike several hundred miles of trails a year in the coming years, spring through fall, including Colorado Trail, Benton Mackaye, John Muir, Foothills Trail and longish sections of the AT and PCT.... Sounds like me except I'm a few years older, but one key statement is the side sleeper thing, again, like myself, this means I need a thicker pad than the Prolite, meaning the Neo Air series, if you want to stay light. I used an old style NeoAir for 4 years, always treated me well, maybe 100 nights use, finally developed a slow leak which I could not find, sent it to the company (cascade designs, I think, right?) and they sent me a brand new NeoAir x-lite. The new Neo Air is even lighter and has a higher R value. Bottom line, completely sold on the Neo Air series. But yeah, kinda expensive. Campmore seems to always have the older NeoAir's on a good sale, like $80 for s hort, more for the medium. One comment about R value: this is really only important in the colder months, assuming you have at least R2.5 or so. I can share the calculations if anyone cares. I just used my x-lite, R=3.2 this last weekend in some frigid conditions and I was fine. The old style Neo Air is around R=2.5 if memory serves, still fine for most of 3-season use. finally, I was always apprehensive about the "crackling" sound of the new NeoAir, but found this to be a non-issue, and in fact, the new one is a tad quieter than the old one.

LuckyMan
12-06-2013, 12:58
Thanks for the responses; they will be helpful. The heavy old Thermarest I have been using is 72" and has been an adequate length and allowed me to sleep about as well as I do at home; I'm considering whether I should stay at that length or try a torso-length like most of the ultralight hikers I read about use, putting the empty back beneath the legs (but then, most of them are much younger than me). Has anyone out there switched from full-length to torso-length, and been happy or unhappy with the decision?
Also, I don't know anyone who has tried the Multimat Superlight Air, new Gossamer Gear inflatable or Klymit Inertia - has anybody tried any of those?

Nyte
12-06-2013, 14:42
I'm 6'4", and when I switched to the short z-rest (granted not just torso length, but 52" instead of 72"), I never noticed any issues, even sleeping on bare rock or concrete. Granted, I am primarily a side sleeper, so that may be a factor.

swjohnsey
12-06-2013, 18:01
Neoair XLite, very light, very durable, very comfortable, very expensive.

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 20:16
Beware of the highly vaunted Exped Downmat!! I just got back from a cold Thanksgiving trip and on Day 1 of a 19 day swaray had this wonderful thing happen to me with the Oh-So-Crappy Exped---one of the baffle tubes burst necessitating a trip detour 12 miles away to an emergency Thermarest cache. You can't sleep on a bulbous air bladder, and it's just a matter of time before another tube pops.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/19-Days-of-Solitude/i-XgfnnwC/0/L/TRIP%20151%20040-L.jpg
Nothin worse than a sleeping pad with a Hernia.

Nyte
12-06-2013, 21:30
Nothin worse than a sleeping pad with a Hernia.

Aww, it just wanted to be fashionable and have a bubble butt!

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 21:38
Aww, it just wanted to be fashionable and have a bubble butt!that pads got a grey girls butt.

Starchild
12-07-2013, 07:52
Neoair XLite, very light, very durable, very comfortable, very expensive.

Seconded.

I went though on my thru and training hikes:

Big A Aircore: Very Comfy, hated inflating it, dreaded that I would need to inflate it while hiking, started to pack it semiinflated so I wouldn't need to inflate it all the way, now use as car camping mat with inflator.

Prolight: Liked self inflating, got it as a response the Aircore mat. Not cushy enough for side sleeping, not good sleep

Prolight + Ridgerest: Used in winter for added insulation and to place between mats to stop the cold 'middle' when hiking with Splash during winter.(Prolight Back to REI, Ridgerest cut to size it to below)

Neoair small + Ridegrest: Got in Hot Springs, better then Prolight, but I move quite a bit at night and having a 2 part mattress was not working, They would separate and end up at various non-contigious angles to each other and myself (they did not have 'normal' sized neoair (Ridgerest cut further to make seat)

Big A Q-Core: Too small, both length and width, too heavy, stated weight didn't match actual weight (IIRC stated at 16-17 oz actually 21oz) (Back to REI)

Neoair regular, worked great, and at 12 oz was the lightest of all. Finally a good night sleep on the trail.

shelb
12-08-2013, 01:10
I picked up a Little Nemo because it was SO light, SO thick, and packed SO small...... I ended up SO NOT sleeping because it was SO loud! It made a ton of noise whenever I moved. Even my shelter-mates complained!

nickgann
12-08-2013, 09:17
I am not a fan of inflatables, for all the obvious reasons. That said sleeping on the ground has never stopped me from a good night before.

The Thermarest Zlite is my poison of choice, when I use a pad... Hammock camper here. But that pad is soft, reflective, neat way to fold/compress pad for packing and doubles as a sit pad.

lynn523
12-09-2013, 23:09
I absolutely love my Exped syn ul. It's light, quiet, and incredibly comfortable. It really is like sleeping on air. (I'm 49 so comfort matters!) I've only used it in mild weather, but I suspect it would work well in winter if I added my old closed cell pad underneath.

Gravesbrock
12-10-2013, 01:08
X2 on the ul7, I prefer to pair it with a 1/8 pad from gossamer gear.

I absolutely love my Exped syn ul. It's light, quiet, and incredibly comfortable. It really is like sleeping on air. (I'm 49 so comfort matters!) I've only used it in mild weather, but I suspect it would work well in winter if I added my old closed cell pad underneath.

Kc Fiedler
12-15-2013, 20:38
I got my NeoAir Xlite for $90 on ebay (brand new) and was initally worried it would pop due to light materials and a lot of reviews of people's negative experiences. I have used it for probably 100 trail nights so far and found it to be comfortable beyond imagining (I sleep all the way through every trail night), exceptionally light and packable, not a problem to inflate unless you've got some kind of respiratory disorder (takes me 3 minutes or so), and very durable.

The reflective material on the middle layer is beginning to wear off but the pad doesn't seem to be slowing down any. I use it for three season use anyways so the insulation loss is negligible. As long as you're semi-intelligent about your site selection you won't have any problem with durability. Obviously don't camp over a bunch of sharp spruce needles and expect it to survive.

Your gear needs to match your competency.

Drybones
12-15-2013, 21:54

Dont know if you all have discovered them yet but Exped has a dry bag they call a Schnozzle that attaches to the sleeping pad to blow it up...take me 2 air bags to fill a pad....about 25 seconds and no blowing....weighs about 2oz.

LuckyMan
01-06-2014, 13:04
Well, I tried a torso-length pad and it worked fine for me. For Christmas I received a torso-length NeoAir X-Lite and am looking forward to using it on the Benton Mackaye-AT Smokies loop in May, the Colorado Trail and Four Pass Loop in late summer, Red River Gorge in early fall and the Foothills Trail in late fall.

squeezebox
01-06-2014, 14:35
I was looking at the Rei flash $100, but I went for the Therm a rest Neo X therm, $200, same wt. 1 lb. but the therm a rest is R 5.7 , Rei 3.2 , I figured if I'm freezing my butt off in low temps, the last thing I'll be thinking about is that extra $100 . comes with a pump.

Nick P
01-15-2014, 18:37
I just dropped $50 on a Klymit Static V pad...only a 1.3 R-value, but under 20oz, very compressible, and very cheap. The reviews are great, alas, they aren't from whiteblazers. Will let you know my impressions after a field test.
nick