PDA

View Full Version : Stuff sack for car camping tarp...

BlackCloud
08-25-2005, 08:59
For car camping purposes I finally put together a tarp w/ poles, ropes, etc. to erect over the picnic table, being that it rains every time I try to enjoy myself in the Great Outdoors.

Anyway, the center pole (collapsed) is 28" long & I've had trouble finding a stuff sack (or any "sack") that is long enough but which doesn't have an enourmous girth. In this situation, size very much matters.:jump

Thus far, Campmor, REI, L.L. Bean, Cabela's, and the local guys, Hudson Trail Outfitters, have all been a bust. Any ideas? (I DON'T SOW:bse ).

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-25-2005, 09:45
duck tape and a piece of tyvek?

Footslogger
08-25-2005, 09:45
Take a look at the OR stuff sacks. Might still be larger in diameter than what you want but this one is long enough and very durable:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=720807&memberId=-2000&link=1&cm_ven=ad_Froogle&cm_ite=datafeed&source=9081&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed

Don't do all that much car camping any more but when I do, these are the bags I use for all my gear since weight is not an issue.

'Slogger

Seeker
08-25-2005, 13:17
how 'bout a feed bag? you could turn it inside out and run a seam along the long edge to make it narrower, then roll and hem the top edge for a drawstring.

JimM
08-25-2005, 22:33
For car camping purposes I finally put together a tarp w/ poles, ropes, etc. to erect over the picnic table, being that it rains every time I try to enjoy myself in the Great Outdoors.

Anyway, the center pole (collapsed) is 28" long & I've had trouble finding a stuff sack (or any "sack") that is long enough but which doesn't have an enourmous girth. In this situation, size very much matters.:jump

Thus far, Campmor, REI, L.L. Bean, Cabela's, and the local guys, Hudson Trail Outfitters, have all been a bust. Any ideas? (I DON'T SOW:bse ). How about the leg off an old pair of jeans?
Jim

stupe
08-26-2005, 00:24
I've got a water resistant canvas bag I made for one of my salt water fishing rods and no longer use, you can have it if you reimburse me for postage and the cost of a large envelope. It's bigger than you need, but I can alter it to fit your tarp pole, if you give me the exact specs.
It would just take me five minutes or so to run it off on my machine, I salvaged the material from a cabin tent I found, so it's no cost and little trouble for me. Email me if you are interested.
I'm heading for the hills tomorrow, so may not be able to reply til Monday.

BlackCloud
08-26-2005, 07:29
I've got a water resistant canvas bag I made for one of my salt water fishing rods and no longer use, you can have it if you reimburse me for postage and the cost of a large envelope. It's bigger than you need, but I can alter it to fit your tarp pole, if you give me the exact specs.
It would just take me five minutes or so to run it off on my machine, I salvaged the material from a cabin tent I found, so it's no cost and little trouble for me. Email me if you are interested.
I'm heading for the hills tomorrow, so may not be able to reply til Monday.
SOLD!

I'll PM you the actual dimensions & my address, just PM me your address so I can write you a check. Your canvas bag sounds perfect. THANX!:clap

BlackCloud
08-26-2005, 07:30
How about the leg off an old pair of jeans?
Jim
That's actually not a bad idea........:dance

BlackCloud
08-26-2005, 07:31
how 'bout a feed bag? you could turn it inside out and run a seam along the long edge to make it narrower, then roll and hem the top edge for a drawstring.
Did you see I'm from Maryland, not So. Dakota? Where the hell is a city boy like me going to get a feed bag?

I also wouldn't know a feedbag if you stuffed me in one.;)

Thanx anyway.....

BlackCloud
08-26-2005, 07:33
Take a look at the OR stuff sacks. Might still be larger in diameter than what you want but this one is long enough and very durable:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=720807&memberId=-2000&link=1&cm_ven=ad_Froogle&cm_ite=datafeed&source=9081&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed

Don't do all that much car camping any more but when I do, these are the bags I use for all my gear since weight is not an issue.

'Slogger
Those OR bags are excellent, but expensive! Thanx.....

justusryans
08-26-2005, 08:22
Did you see I'm from Maryland, not So. Dakota? Where the hell is a city boy like me going to get a feed bag?

I also wouldn't know a feedbag if you stuffed me in one.;)

Thanx anyway.....
Try a garden supply store.

Jaybird
08-26-2005, 08:44
Thus far, Campmor, REI, L.L. Bean, Cabela's, and the local guys, Hudson Trail Outfitters, have all been a bust. Any ideas? (I DON'T SOW:bse ).

LOoks like you need to grab some SILNYLON & LEARN how to SEW!
hehehehehehehehehe :D

the LONGEST stuff sack...i've found is 25 inches long.
GOOD LUCK.

stupe
08-26-2005, 10:57
BlackCloud, I only just now enabled the PM thingy, so if you couldn't get through, try again. You're welcome, and I'm glad to help out. I'll probably do it this Tuesday, when I get back from the woods.