PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Sleeping Bag and Winter Clothing Advice!

brancaster
12-05-2013, 14:05
Hey everyone,

Because I'm newly registered to this forum (I've been poking around here for a while now), I'd like to extend my appreciation to everyone involved here. There is an incredible amount of valuable information all over this site, and I have not come across another community quite like this.

That being said, I do have a few questions of my own that I couldn't find answers to.

First off, I'm new to the idea of planning a thru-hiking. I'm not inexperienced in hiking/backpacking though! Thru-hiking the AT has always been something I wanted to do 'someday', but recently I decided that I would never actually accomplish it until I set a date and went through the motions of planning and stocking up on the gear I don't already have. I've chosen either 2015 or 2016 as my starting year (which ever aligns with my life and finances properly).

Now the questions that I have are mostly regarding the colder periods at the beginning and ending of the hike.

I want to make sure that I stay warm at night, but because I don't have the budget for top of the line or multiple pieces of the same gear, I'm looking to buy one sleeping bag and stick with it for the duration of the hike. I'd like to stay around the $200 mark. Judging from what I've read, I'll probably need a bag rated for 15-20 degree temperatures, right? Is it feasible to carry a bag with that temperature rating through the summer months? Also, what are your opinions on the ULA sleeping bag (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/slpbg2012.htm)? I've seen mixed reviews across the web, but would love solid feedback from someone who has tried it. I also wouldn't mind any suggested alternatives!

In addition, I'm curious about winter clothes and whether or not it's common for folks to keep them on them for the duration of the hike. I know it should be simple enough to send it ahead one the temperature warms up, but would it be a bad choice to keep the few extra pounds packed away until I need them again?

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

jeffmeh
12-05-2013, 14:32
While there are many ways to approach this, I favor a 20F rated down quilt. In colder weather, if you size it right, the quilt has enough room to wear all of your layers without compressing any insulation. In warmer weather, open the footbox and have it partially cover you, if that's what the temperature warrants. The Enlightened Equipment RevX is priced very well, but there are plenty of good options from the cottage manufacturers.

As far as carrying clothing, if you design your layering system well, you could either send layers home or use a bounce box as the weather warms up.

When do you plan to start?

brancaster
12-05-2013, 15:15
Jeffmeh, you know, I never thought about looking at a quilt as an option. I don't know why, but I was primarily looking into actual sleeping bags and didn't think to look any further. A quilt looks like a new contender for my sleeping system.

I plan to start mid-march in either 2015 or 2016.

Thanks!

swjohnsey
12-05-2013, 18:13
Alot depends on your start date. The later you start the lighter the bag you can carry. I started around April 1 and did the whole thing with a Western Mounteering High Light 35 degree bag. On a couple of sub-freezing nights I slept in all my clothes. I got rid of my cold weather clothing in Damascus and pick it up again before crossing the Whites.

brancaster
12-05-2013, 18:41
Alot depends on your start date. The later you start the lighter the bag you can carry. I started around April 1 and did the whole thing with a Western Mounteering High Light 35 degree bag. On a couple of sub-freezing nights I slept in all my clothes. I got rid of my cold weather clothing in Damascus and pick it up again before crossing the Whites.

Thanks for the input, swjohnsey! After Jeffmeh turned me on to quilts, I'm actually looking into using one of those. As for cold weather clothing, I'll likely send it ahead just like you did. If you don't mind me asking, how much weight in clothing did you send ahead and how much did it cost in postage?

Zippy Morocco
12-05-2013, 20:49
My trip was from March 5 2013 to July 27th or so. I did trade out my 20* WM UL for a summer quilt but felt like I could have made it with the 20* all the way. I was too hot and too cold in both bags. I think your best bet would be to start April with something in the 30* range and hike quick enough to get through the weights before mid August. Then you might be okay.

Feral Bill
12-05-2013, 21:21
Consider a light scarf. Wool or synthetic will do. Nothing adds more warmth for a couple of ounces.

Tanya A.
12-05-2013, 21:29
One place to look for synthetic lightweight quilts is Mountain Laurel Designs (recommended by Andy Skurka). I got the 38-degree option and bought a liner that's supposed to add around 15 degrees to your bag...will be testing it out soon to see whether I can actually make it through a winter night without freezing.

Kookork
12-05-2013, 21:41
Actually with the price range of yours(200 $). Your options are either a 20 degree quilt like revelation X or finding a high quality sleeping bag on sale or clearance.

I chose the quilt I mentioned because it has been AT tested and was cheap and light (24 Oz).

If the money was not an issue I would recommend waiting for a while because the sleeping systems are getting better every year. Just in recent years we have had some innovations like water resistant treated down and other things like utilizing Cuban fiber in sleeping systems. who knows what innovation or design will come to existence the next couple of years.

brancaster
12-06-2013, 01:40
My trip was from March 5 2013 to July 27th or so. I did trade out my 20* WM UL for a summer quilt but felt like I could have made it with the 20* all the way. I was too hot and too cold in both bags. I think your best bet would be to start April with something in the 30* range and hike quick enough to get through the weights before mid August. Then you might be okay.

I considered starting later and hiking fast to avoid some of the cold weather, but truthfully I want to experience all of it, you know? I figured I could go with a bag or quilt rated for lower temperatures and then just unzip it a bit/sleep on top of it when I'm feeling warm.

Consider a light scarf. Wool or synthetic will do. Nothing adds more warmth for a couple of ounces.

Thanks for the tip! I've never really experienced hiking long distances in cold weather and I want to be sure I stay as comfortable as possible. I have seen quite a few other people recommend a good scarf.

One place to look for synthetic lightweight quilts is Mountain Laurel Designs (recommended by Andy Skurka). I got the 38-degree option and bought a liner that's supposed to add around 15 degrees to your bag...will be testing it out soon to see whether I can actually make it through a winter night without freezing.

I didn't consider a liner. Perhaps I should opt for a bag or quilt rated for warmer temperatures, line it for warmth in the colder months, then send the liner ahead with my winter gear when it warms up. I never realized that I have so many different options!

Actually with the price range of yours(200 $). Your options are either a 20 degree quilt like revelation X or finding a high quality sleeping bag on sale or clearance.

I chose the quilt I mentioned because it has been AT tested and was cheap and light (24 Oz).

If the money was not an issue I would recommend waiting for a while because the sleeping systems are getting better every year. Just in recent years we have had some innovations like water resistant treated down and other things like utilizing Cuban fiber in sleeping systems. who knows what innovation or design will come to existence the next couple of years.

You know, I have consider waiting around and hawk-eyeing sites for sales and clearance, but I don't want to wait too long because I actually plan on heading out early next year to test some of my winter gear to get a good feel for it. Who knows, maybe I'll go for a bag or quilt that currently fits my budget now and then splurge for a higher end sleep system when it comes time to leave for the actual hike.

swjohnsey
12-06-2013, 09:57
Thanks for the input, swjohnsey! After Jeffmeh turned me on to quilts, I'm actually looking into using one of those. As for cold weather clothing, I'll likely send it ahead just like you did. If you don't mind me asking, how much weight in clothing did you send ahead and how much did it cost in postage?

I was traveling light. I sent 100wt fleece tops and bottoms, balacava, mittens ahead. Only cold weather clothing after Damascus was Precip top and bottom. Look on ebay for bargins. I only paid about $270 for the WM bag.

nitewalker
12-06-2013, 12:20
golite has this quilt on sale............http://www.golite.com/Unisex-Z30-Quilt-Regular-P46992.aspx

Blissful
12-08-2013, 20:57
Mid March you could probably get away with a 20 degree bag but you'll need a liner to begin and at the end. But the cheaper you go, the less effective are the temp ratings. If you aren't very big try the Cat's Meow. My son used it on our thru.

Nooga
12-09-2013, 10:34
Comfort is subjective. For many, they can use bags near the rated temp. However, for others they need to add 10 - 15 degrees to the bag rating to be comfortable. As mentioned, you can increase the comfort by wearing clothes or using a liner. If you push the boundary for the bag, just be flexible on your schedule. If cold weather is forecasted, jump off the trail for a day or so.

brancaster
12-09-2013, 13:59
golite has this quilt on sale............http://www.golite.com/Unisex-Z30-Quilt-Regular-P46992.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up! That isn't a bad price, but I'd probably be a little worried about the temperature rating on that quilt for the colder months. I'll keep it in mind though.

Mid March you could probably get away with a 20 degree bag but you'll need a liner to begin and at the end. But the cheaper you go, the less effective are the temp ratings. If you aren't very big try the Cat's Meow. My son used it on our thru.

It looks like I could comfortably fit into the North Face bag. Did your son use a liner/layer up at night when it was coldest? The only turn off with that bag is going to be the weight compared to the quilt I'm considering. (Enlightened Equipment RevX (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/?product=revelationx-20-2))

Comfort is subjective. For many, they can use bags near the rated temp. However, for others they need to add 10 - 15 degrees to the bag rating to be comfortable. As mentioned, you can increase the comfort by wearing clothes or using a liner. If you push the boundary for the bag, just be flexible on your schedule. If cold weather is forecasted, jump off the trail for a day or so.

I tend to be most comfortable sleeping in cooler temperatures, so I don't think I would have a problem pushing the boundaries of a bag. That being said, which ever I choose to go with will definitely be tested before I commit to it for several months!

Snowleopard
12-09-2013, 15:43
Most liners add very little warmth to a well designed sleeping bag or quilt. If you want to add 15F to a bag's rating you need significant insulation, i.e., you need a warm weather quilt or bag inside or over your bag. The two sleeping bags have to be able to fit inside each other without compressing the insulation. Wearing all your warm clothes inside the bag also extends the temp rating but the bag needs to be big enough to hold it all without compressing insulation.

Beware that sleeping bag ratings for cheaper bags are very very optimistic, i.e., a 20F rated bag might only be good for 40F. Good brands are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering and a few others. Enlightened Equipment has a good rep. To have the same rating a cheap bag needs to have about the same loft as the name brand bag.

My approach would be to carry a bag with a true rating equal to the lowest temp expected; if a record breaking cold spell goes 10 degrees lower than that I'd wear all my clothes.

brancaster
12-10-2013, 14:05
Most liners add very little warmth to a well designed sleeping bag or quilt. If you want to add 15F to a bag's rating you need significant insulation, i.e., you need a warm weather quilt or bag inside or over your bag. The two sleeping bags have to be able to fit inside each other without compressing the insulation. Wearing all your warm clothes inside the bag also extends the temp rating but the bag needs to be big enough to hold it all without compressing insulation.

Beware that sleeping bag ratings for cheaper bags are very very optimistic, i.e., a 20F rated bag might only be good for 40F. Good brands are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering and a few others. Enlightened Equipment has a good rep. To have the same rating a cheap bag needs to have about the same loft as the name brand bag.

My approach would be to carry a bag with a true rating equal to the lowest temp expected; if a record breaking cold spell goes 10 degrees lower than that I'd wear all my clothes.

Well, adding another quilt or bag to an existing one completely defeats the purpose of going cheaper, hahah. I see your point.

I would love to go for a top brand bag like those from Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering, but a $350+ bag simply is not in my budget. I honestly think I'm going to go for the Enlightened Equipment quilt, field test it a bit, and if I decide it won't do then I'll have to save longer, readjust my budget for another bag, and keep my eyes open for clearance.