PDA

View Full Version : Softshell pants

M C
12-05-2013, 14:14
Looking for suggestions on softshell pants for my AT thru (starting in Feb). I know a lot of you like to hike in just shorts or shorts over a wool base layer, but for the cooler temps, even though I hike fairly warm, I prefer softshell pants worn over lightweight merino bottoms or tights.
My wishlist of features: lightweight; prefer nylon over polyester; wind & water resistant (not proof, just resistant so there's some decent breathability); ankle zips for easy on/off w/out taking off shoes; some pockets (hand & 1 or 2 on legs or back pocket);
flexible waist - either via elastic or adjustable waistband/belt etc (nice to have a bit of flexibility for different base layer options, plus I've been shedding quite a bit of weight while training and not sure exactly where the ole waist line will end up, but don't want to wait till last minute
to order, so flex waist is my friend); bonus points for inseam length options, gusseted crotch & reinforced knees & bottom :)
Some possibilities seem to be Marmot Scree's and a couple of the RailRiders models.
Thank you!

Tim Causa
12-05-2013, 15:58
I really like the REI Mistral pants. They are mostly nylon and breathe really well. The problem is they are single stitched in the crotch and back pockets, and I tore the crotch out of a pair. If you're willing to take a slight hit on weight but multipurpose, I would recommend the REI endeavor convertibles. You can take the legs off while you're walking (with practice) and they have a DWR and are wind proof to 30 mph. Very warm with a base. They are mostly polyester; however, they don't stink and they are 4 way stretch.

hikerboy57
12-05-2013, 16:36
Marmot scree.love em.

Night Train
12-05-2013, 23:56
Marmot Rockstar, sans the zippered legs.

SCRUB HIKER
12-06-2013, 01:36
Montane Featherlite wind pants don't have pockets but otherwise fit your criteria. I had them on the PCT this year ... they're what you would call a "technical" fit, meaning they're tight enough around the legs, especially mine (I only have thick soccer-player legs, never skinny hiker legs, even when I'm hiking) that they wouldn't fit over shorts. Almost like a long-john fit. Not sure if that's what you are looking for, but they were ludicrously comfortable for cool/wet hiking, town, and camp/sleeping.

M C
12-06-2013, 18:52
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll check those out. Has anyone had experience with any of the RailRider brand softshells?

drifter
12-08-2013, 16:50
I bought two pair this past summer, the "weatherpant" and the ecomesh with insect shield. A bit pricey but very durable and I've been pretty satisfied.

M C
12-08-2013, 17:23
Thanks drifter, that's good to hear - I really like the specs on a lot of the RailRiders. I suppose if I really want the ankle zips, I could get a seamstress to add some on for me...

BuckeyeBill
12-08-2013, 17:35
You may like these REI Sahara Convertible Pants (http://www.rei.com/product/794408/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam) .

M C
12-08-2013, 17:50
Thanks BuckeyeBill, looks like REI has some good options (and I like the prices too). I might have an opportunity to go to the REI in Jacksonville this week - if so, I'll definitely see what they have.