PDA

View Full Version : EarthQuake on the TRAIL

Jaybird
08-25-2005, 09:11
An Earthquake registering just under 4 magnitude has hit NC, GA, & TN...apparently the epi-center was the trail town of: HOT SPRINGS, NC.

Here's the latest from the news services:

Minor Quake Rattles N.C., Ga. and Tenn.

Thursday August 25, 2005 8:31 AM

HOT SPRINGS, N.C. (AP) - A magnitude 3.8 earthquake rattled homes in North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia but appeared to have caused little serious damage, officials said.

The minor quake, which struck at 11:09 p.m. Wednesday, was centered about 2 miles southeast of Hot Springs, according to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center.

Rocks crashed down on N.C. 209 in Madison County, but the road remained open. The quake also damaged the foundation of a mobile home and knocked pictures off walls in western North Carolina, but there were no reports of injuries, officials said.

Asheville resident Jean Harrell was awakened when the temblor shook her house.

``I went downstairs because I thought my water heater had blown up,'' she said. ``Then I thought maybe it was my gas system. It scared me to death.''

The temblor could be felt as far as Athens, Ga., about 150 miles to the south, and along the North Carolina-Tennessee border, officials said.

The Southeast has scores of faults, the most famous of which is the Brevard Fault, which runs through the eastern edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

MOWGLI
08-25-2005, 09:31
A buddy of mine just purchased a place in Hot Springs. He's still out of state, so I sent him the press release. Man, is there anything more amazing than an earthquake? Luckily, I've only been in a few small ones, but each time it was just awe inspiring. Such incredible power!

Sly
08-25-2005, 09:43
I felt it here in Black Mountain, pretty cool.

Chip
08-25-2005, 19:53
I slept thru it. Didn't know about it until this morning when my wife told me. :D

Lugnut
08-26-2005, 00:32
Maybe House is back on the trail? :-?

K-Bear
08-26-2005, 13:34
I was out of town (again) in Atlanta but my roomate said he didn't feel it here in Bryson City.

bobgessner57
08-27-2005, 00:46
Two different family members in the Mars Hill area (about 4 miles apart from each other) told us that they each heard a loud sharp bang just as the shaking started. My sister in law had just gone to bed. Her mattress slid partly off the bed with her on it. Because of the noise and the initial jolt she thought someone had missed the curve and crashed a car into her house.

Perhaps the noise was a rock plate breaking??? Nature is always amazing.

Ramble~On
08-27-2005, 03:24
I was in Cherokee when it "hit" but I lived in California too long to get excited about it.