PDA

View Full Version : Hiking during hunting season.

chilln
12-06-2013, 07:08
Well its shotgun season here in Massachusetts. This is the most popular part of the hunting season. Yesterday I went for a nice 6 mile stroll and came across 2 older guys set up right along the trail. Then I ran into 3 more guys who were heading in. One said "you do know its hunting season?" I said yes and continued on my way. Other than maybe wearing bright clothing I do not plan on changing anything or staying out of the woods nor do I have a problem with sharing the woods although I don't think hunters should set up along a trail. I thought I would throw it out there and see what you all think. Do you change your hiking habits? Do you stick to areas that don't allow hunting (ie. watersheds, parks)? Or do you just stay out of the woods? If you are a hunter what are your thoughts?

kayak karl
12-06-2013, 07:16
i wear orange hat and my dog an orange coat. i don't hike opening day for shotgun in NJ.

perrymk
12-06-2013, 07:45
My feeling is that if they're on the trail, they're shooting away from the trail. Better for me. I have a blaze orange pack cover that is usually on my pack these days. I also have a blaze orange boonie hat and blaze orange beanie, depending on the weather. I often wear a blaze orange t-shirt as well. I just about glow in the dark.

susiecruise
12-06-2013, 08:05
My feeling is that if they're on the trail, they're shooting away from the trail. Better for me. I have a blaze orange pack cover that is usually on my pack these days. I also have a blaze orange boonie hat and blaze orange beanie, depending on the weather. I often wear a blaze orange t-shirt as well. I just about glow in the dark.

This time of year I always wear my blaze orange hoodie, even if I end up tieing it around my waist. I also carefully consider which trails to use. I stick to the more popular well hiked trails that are alittle more steep and perhaps not so hunter-hangout-friendly. The only one I encountered yesterday was Hikerboy57!

susiecruise
12-06-2013, 08:12
I once had a bullet whiz through the woods where I was hiking. It was on a friends property, I had on my orange hoodie and I heard the gunshot in the distance and then a high pitch whistling object whizzed by in a flash. I stayed out of the woods during hunting season for a few years but now I just can't.

fins1838
12-06-2013, 08:23
Shotgun season=Yes.........................If rifles are being used=NO. A little buck shot never hurt nobody, well maybe a few people ;-)

Malto
12-06-2013, 08:28
In PA it is required by law to wear something like 250 square inches of blaze orange if you hike on state game lands which is a good part of the AT. While this may not be a requirement where you are, it will be your body that pays the price. I solved this problem by buying a blaze orange wind shirt.

Tuckahoe
12-06-2013, 08:34
Just use common sense, wear your blaze orange and be mindful about suddenly standing up out of the under brush when answering the call of nature or getting in and out of your shelter. Remember that most hunters are more active early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

I once had a bullet whiz through the woods where I was hiking. It was on a friends property, I had on my orange hoodie and I heard the gunshot in the distance and then a high pitch whistling object whizzed by in a flash. I stayed out of the woods during hunting season for a few years but now I just can't.

Not to be overly technical... well I guess I am... the speed of sound is usually 1126 fps. Popular hunting cartridges usually are reaching 2000 to 2800 fps, even .22lr is 1200 to 1800 fps. Its the bullet you'd hear first then the gunshot report.

Seatbelt
12-06-2013, 08:46
Remember also that not all hunters will abide by the rules--some will go out a day or two early to get he "jump" on the others. I've come across several "out-of-season" hunters.
One thing that happened to my wife a couple years ago on a day hike in southern Indiana: I tend to hike a little faster and try to "attack" the hills for cardio training, then wait on her when I get to the top. I was waiting at the top of a hill for her and when she came up, there was a fully camo'd hunter right on her heels following her up the trail--scared her to death. We both grew up in hunting families, so hunters in general do not frighten her, but this one was different. We no longer hike separated, to say the least. Just sayin to be alert and watchful, wear your orange and you should be ok.

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2013, 09:50
Shotgun season=Yes.........................If rifles are being used=NO. A little buck shot never hurt nobody, well maybe a few people ;-)

Buck shot isn't legal for deer in many states and rifle/shotgun is often the same season. Of course regulations vary from State to State.

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2013, 09:56
This type of thread pops up every fall and just like bears and banjo playing locals, hunting is one of the most overhyped concerns that people have about being on the trail.

Personally i stay out of state game lands and popular huntng grounds during deer season, but that's out of respect for the hunters, not out of fear or safety concerns. Most hunters only have a coule of days in the short seasons that they can actually get out into the field and i'm not going to ruin it for them.

It is also important to understand that large parts of the trail have been funded by hunters and fisherman. The excise tax placed on hunting and fishing licenses and equipment are the single largest source of conservation funds in US and are used for conservation and wildlife restoration of all species. More can be read about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittman–Robertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restorat ion_Act

fiddlehead
12-06-2013, 10:39
Share the trail.
They are allowed to be there (here in PA anyway) and have been hunting along the Appalacian trail for longer than you have been hiking it.
(don't forget to pickup their garbage. LOL)

Tri-Pod Bob
12-06-2013, 10:50
I was out all week so far & if not for an 11am doctor appt, I'd be out there today. I've been hunting here in Mass. since I was 16. Also Vt & NH for many of them. I find that the 1st 2 days of the season have the most hunter activity, as well as the weekends. During these peak days, there's also a much higher % of people who do not hunt on a regular basis year round, such as turkey, rabbit, squirrel, water fowl, upland game, etc. I also know that many, especially city/suburb dwellers, often don't go to shooting ranges or belong to sportsman/shooting clubs. Many don't take the time to do any pre-season scouting, either. That's why certain areas, such as state forests & WMAs have vehicles lined up on the roads or parking areas full. These are the folks that concern me the most. Also, as a whole, hunter safety & proper hunting ethics are not followed as they should be by some. During shotgun season, I go to areas that are more remote, have difficult terrain, require landowner permission, etc. I'm just not comfortable having someone posting up 50 to 100 yds away from me or busting through the bush at any given time. While shooting accidents are few, thankfully, they do happen every year. I make sure that I'm not a part of one. Mass. requires a minimum of 500 square inches of blaze orange covering chest, back & head. My opinion is that hikers should too during gun season. Bow & primitive arms seasons, which occur before & after the 2 week shotgun season, are much safer for hikers. I would still recommend a piece of blaze orange head gear though. BTW, I have a 4 pointer in the freezer, harvested on Wed morning about 1/4 mile behind my home. Will be out every day, including primitive season with a bow, for the 10 pointer that has been eating from my garden & the apple trees since mid July, now that he's been able to pass on his genes.

perdidochas
12-06-2013, 11:12
Having deer hunted in the past in a group of people (deer drives with a hunting club), I can say that blaze orange works wonders. Even just a hat (Alabama law requires a blaze orange hat or 144 square inches of blaze orange) makes an enormous difference in visibility. It's interesting that you could almost tell the educational level of the people in the hunting club. The more educated people were, the more blaze orange we wore :-)

DandT40
12-06-2013, 11:43
I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. If someone drunk idiot shoots at me he better 1. Be prepared for return fire. or 2. Be a damn good shot. What pisses me off - besides closed sections of trail - is hunters using blazes for target practice. There were many I passed a couple weeks ago that were nearly shot of trees. Other than that everyone should be able to share the woods and be mindful of one another and there shouldn't be any problems.

Seatbelt
12-06-2013, 12:05
I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. .

Don't assume that everyone is as cautious. I have two friends I have known(who are now dead as a result) who have been killed while hunting. they were not wearing orange or a very minimal amount. Why risk your life at someone else's hands needlessly??

Tuckahoe
12-06-2013, 12:10
To wear blaze orange during hunting season is merely being respectful to the hunters who have no desire to shoot at anyone. It's not drunk hunters being dumbasses, it's as much the hunter who genuinely can not see an obscured individual down range. Hunters have every obligation to know what is down range. But non-hunters have every obligation to make themselves visible. Otherwise you're a dumbass.

Snowleopard
12-06-2013, 12:16
Wear blaze orange hat, vest, if your pack is not a bright color put some blaze orange on it. Don't hike opening and closing day of gun deer season in areas that get a lot of hunting. Avoid hiking at dawn and dusk (hunting in Mass. lasts till from30 minutes before sunrise to 30 min after sunset and it's pretty dark by then).

I think most deer hunters here use slugs not buck shot in shotguns.
Mass. shotgun season this year is Dec.2 to Dec. 14, with no hunting on Sundays. Primitive firearm season is Dec. 16 - 31. I've been told these primitive firearms (muzzle loaders) are now almost as powerful as regular rifles, but there are many fewer hunters out in that season. I generally wear orange all of Nov. and Dec. because I don't always pay attention to when the seasons are.

Malto
12-06-2013, 12:46
I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. If someone drunk idiot shoots at me he better 1. Be prepared for return fire. or 2. Be a damn good shot. What pisses me off - besides closed sections of trail - is hunters using blazes for target practice. There were many I passed a couple weeks ago that were nearly shot of trees. Other than that everyone should be able to share the woods and be mindful of one another and there shouldn't be any problems.

i hope that you are not dead right someday.

Bronk
12-06-2013, 12:51
I decided to stop hiking for the 10 days of firearms deer season here when I met a guy carrying a rifle who was so drunk he could hardly stand up. I just don't want to be in the woods with people like that around. And its only for 10 days. Its amazing to me how many hunters see movement and shoot without knowing what they are shooting at.

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2013, 12:55
I decided to stop hiking for the 10 days of firearms deer season here when I met a guy carrying a rifle who was so drunk he could hardly stand up. I just don't want to be in the woods with people like that around. And its only for 10 days. Its amazing to me how many hunters see movement and shoot without knowing what they are shooting at.

If you see someone hunting drunk or while drinking, please call either DEP/DNR or the local police and report them (assuming it's practical to do so.) Most hunters, including myself have no tolerance for that kind of wrecklessness.

DandT40
12-06-2013, 12:59
it's as much the hunter who genuinely can not see an obscured individual down range. Hunters have every obligation to know what is down range.
If you can not see something what are you shooting at? Again, this goes against every gun safety course I have ever taken. Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"? If that's not a dumbass or a drunk I don't know what you call that. I make myself visible by walking on a trail that I have every right to walk on and be there. It is solely the responsibility of the gun owner to know what they are shooting at and know what is down range from what they are shooting at.

I in no way believe my stance is the right stance for everyone or am trying to change any minds - just stating my point of view and what I do and have done for years. It is of course much wiser to wear bright colors, but again, I'm not going out and spending money just because other people are in the woods and have a gun. Come down to some neighborhoods where I live and wear your bright colors and you'll have a whole new and much more real fear of guns...

Tuckahoe
12-06-2013, 13:39
If you can not see something what are you shooting at? Again, this goes against every gun safety course I have ever taken. Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"? If that's not a dumbass or a drunk I don't know what you call that. I make myself visible by walking on a trail that I have every right to walk on and be there. It is solely the responsibility of the gun owner to know what they are shooting at and know what is down range from what they are shooting at.

I in no way believe my stance is the right stance for everyone or am trying to change any minds - just stating my point of view and what I do and have done for years. It is of course much wiser to wear bright colors, but again, I'm not going out and spending money just because other people are in the woods and have a gun. Come down to some neighborhoods where I live and wear your bright colors and you'll have a whole new and much more real fear of guns...

The issue all to often is not that someone is shooting at an unconfirmed (which happens all to often as well, so why make it easier for them to make excuses?) target but that an individual is not readily visible beyond the intended target.

I have no patients for those that cannot follow the four rules of fire arms handling just as I have not patients for those hat cannot make themselves visible when they are within the field of fire.

Another Kevin
12-06-2013, 13:42
I have no problem with wearing blaze orange. Teacher, Snacktime and I just rock orange.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/10600020385_fec348bde5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10600020385/)
From Teacher: Taconics, 2013-10-25/26 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10600020385/) by ke9tv (http://www.flickr.com/people/ke9tv/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/10547688794_2011283904.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10547688794/)
Teacher in three states (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/10547688794/) by ke9tv (http://www.flickr.com/people/ke9tv/), on Flickr

The Solemates
12-06-2013, 14:23
i regularly hike during hunting season on hunting grounds in multiple states. 75% of the time I see the hunter before they see me. homemade crocheted blaze orange hat, homemade blaze orange fleece vest, blaze orange gloves. bear season in PA is always the worst for some reason. i guess cause its just a few days and everyone is packed in the woods at the same time. the only day i try not to hike is opening day of long arms for deer.

perdidochas
12-06-2013, 15:32

You are correct, theoretically. Theoretically, you should be able to walk freely in the woods without blaze orange and not be in danger from hunters, drunk or otherwise. That said, I figure if I wear Blaze orange during hunting season, it will decrease the odds of that drunk hunter mistaking me for something else. Hike your own hike, though.

George
12-06-2013, 16:56
I intentionally go to national parks for hiking during hunting season

Deer Hunter
12-06-2013, 17:01
If you see someone hunting drunk or while drinking, please call either DEP/DNR or the local police and report them (assuming it's practical to do so.) Most hunters, including myself have no tolerance for that kind of wrecklessness.

Ditto..............

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 17:02
Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"?
Crazy, but it does happen all the time. This man was a highly trained officer.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/01/hunter-in-norton-shoots-woman-he-mistook-for-deer/9

mudsocks
12-06-2013, 17:35
I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. If someone drunk idiot shoots at me he better 1. Be prepared for return fire. or 2. Be a damn good shot.

Isn't that a bit like saying you won't wear your seat belt just because some other motorist might run into you? Obviously it's a matter of personal choice but it's a cheap (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Orange-Safety-Vest/24974313), lightweight precaution to take that may save your life.

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 01:30
There are no more drunk hunters, than drunk hikers, drunk drivers, or drunk anything else.
People are people.

You are a fool if you dont wear bright colors or blaze orange during deer hunting season
Anyone that has hunted, and stared into a distant treeline in dim light, knows that the mind tries to create order out of nothing.
It tries to fill in the blanks, where data doesnt exist
It basically will try to see something, where nothing exists.
People get excited, and then bad things can happen.

you really dont want someone to have to sight YOU thru a scope on a loaded high-power rifle to realize you arent a deer.
You are one slip of a finger away from dieing a horrible death if that is your wish.
You wear blaze orange for the benefit of everyone

Sly
12-07-2013, 01:46
One of the best pieces of gear I have is a blaze orange pack cover. It goes on in rain (of course), during hunting season and if the road is narrow, while road walking.

max patch
12-07-2013, 11:32
One of the best pieces of gear I have is a blaze orange pack cover. It goes on in rain (of course), during hunting season and if the road is narrow, while road walking.

Road walking. I honestly never thot of that and thats a good idea.

colorado_rob
12-07-2013, 11:51
I have nothing but respect for the hunters here in Colorado, nevertheless, I do take the simple Blaze Orange precaution starting in October, through the season. My hiking parties have occasionally pissed off the hunters, simply because we're noisy and always chatting, scaring off their game. One time we came across a hunter crouched behind a tree right beside the trail... wow, the glare he gave us, kinda creepy, but really, never felt in any danger whatsoever hiking in heavily hunted territory. Again, just a simple precaution with a 3 dollar (Walmart, Dicks, etc) plastic blaze orange vest either worn or draped over my pack.

DandT40
12-07-2013, 12:01
There are no more drunk hunters, than drunk hikers, drunk drivers, or drunk anything else.
People are people.

This is simply not true. Are there the same number of drunk church goers as drunk bar goers? Or same number of drunk people at a football vs a marathon? Some activities are more conducive to drinking then others.

Another Kevin
12-07-2013, 12:38

Right. I'm not afraid of being mistaken for a deer, or shot by someone who can't pick a clear shot. I'm afraid of being out at twilight or partly hidden by brush, and getting a deer between me and a hunter. It's a hunter's responsibility to know what's downrange, but why should I make that hard for him and risky for me?

Another Kevin
12-07-2013, 12:40
This is simply not true. Are there the same number of drunk church goers as drunk bar goers? Or same number of drunk people at a football vs a marathon? Some activities are more conducive to drinking then others.

I would hope that most people consider hunting and driving to be among the activities that are less conducive to drinking. "Joe .30-06-pack" is a scary idea.

perrymk
12-07-2013, 14:17
I purchased a Made in USA of Made in USA fabric blaze orange pack cover from BearPawwd and have been very happy with it. Of course I paid a Made in USA price but it didn't break the bank.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/index.html

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 14:39

It most certainly is true.

The very few people that would drink while hunting, drink while doing everything else as well. Those type of persons are drunk all the time.

Hunting is not a drinking activity.

It is sad, and pathetic, that so much of the general population drink heavily on a daily basis. If lifes that bad, change it.

Pathfinder1
12-07-2013, 15:47
Hi...

Okay...I'll call it. Not trying to make your self look like a human when hiking, etc. during hunting seasons is incredibly STUPID...!! You just don't know it yet.

As an experienced hunter, fisher, trapper and camper, I know what kinds of people are in the woods during the various hunting seasons. The majority of them do NOT shoot just at sound or movement. Unfortunately, there are some that do. These are the ones who may recognize you as a person, rather than game...IF you are visible. And by being visible I mean by wearing blaze orange when afield during hunting season.

People who WON'T wear blaze orenge during those hunting seasons (including small game) I rank with the people who drown every year because they refuse to wear a life jacket when afloat.

Whe you're DEAD...I doubt that you will feel very much. Believe me...your FAMILY certainly will...!! That being said...the choice is indeed YOURS.

mcstick
12-07-2013, 15:52
This is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on this website.

Nodust
12-07-2013, 16:02
Not to be overly technical... well I guess I am... the speed of sound is usually 1126 fps. Popular hunting cartridges usually are reaching 2000 to 2800 fps, even .22lr is 1200 to 1800 fps. Its the bullet you'd hear first then the gunshot report.
Not always. If he heard a bullet whizzing by, most likely it had hit something(branch or ground) and was tumbling by. Once it hits something the velocity would be greatly decreased. But still deadly so be careful out there.

Del Q
12-07-2013, 16:40
I would agree with the opening statement, its the AT, not some obscure side trail.

Using the AT to get to/from a hunting spot, great..............orange or not hunters should be airming away from the AT and cognizant of the terrain, flight path, etc.

Having said this I would improve gear wise on my fall hikes. Wearing a black hat with big fuzzy antlers is probably not smart, plus it gets heavy when wet.

Nodust
12-07-2013, 16:43
You cannot wear enough orange. Once you get shot it won't matter who was in the right or wrong.

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 17:02

Depends on distance and cartridge. Bullets slow down the moment they leave the muzzle due to air resistance. How much depends on the diameter, weight, and shape.

A 0.22 dia 35 gr bullet hollow point that leaves muzzle at 1200 fps (like the standard el cheapo .22LR ammo), will be travelling 780 fps at 200 yds, and 535 fps at 500 yds, and a paltry 300 fps at 1000 yds.

A 0.308 dia 30-30 blunt nose 150 gr cartridge would be about 2000 fps at muzzle, 1000 fps at 500 yds, and 700 fps at 1000 yds.

Pistols, which shoot nice fat blunt rounds, are particularly bad, because muzzle velocities are low to start with due to short barrels and small amts powder.

a 45 ACP w/230 gr HP is only 845 ft/sec at muzzle, and 776 fps at 100 yds.

So , it may depend on who is shooting, what they are shooting, and how far away they are.

I was fishing on a lake one time, and someone on shore up in the woods took potshots at me from what sounded like a 0.22. Shore was at least 75 yds, and the treeline was at least another 20 yds or so. I heard the report, and then the whizzing going by a split second later. I also cranked the motor and hightailed it out of there. I figured it was a 0.22 pistol, or they would have hit me or the boat, whatever they were shooting at.

susiecruise
12-07-2013, 22:07
Not always. If he heard a bullet whizzing by, most likely it had hit something(branch or ground) and was tumbling by. Once it hits something the velocity would be greatly decreased. But still deadly so be careful out there.

The property on the other side of large (2acre) pond was ( I later learned) a hunting club. It was a distance away and I always wondered why or if the bullet didn't hit a tree for the distance it must have traveled.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 23:30

Actually as you are new here and know nothing about hiking in hunter season along the trail... one can say about the same about you, but that would be mean... That I am not. Want to be embarrassed? Wear Hunter orange on Sunday in PA... most hikers will call you on it, "what are you doing?" Their intent is to be helpful so go with the flow. Wearing orange isn't Kryptonite.

Sarcasm the elf
12-07-2013, 23:47

Actually as you are new here and know nothing about hiking in hunter season along the trail... one can say about the same about you, but that would be mean... That I am not. Want to be embarrassed? Wear Hunter orange on Sunday in PA... most hikers will call you on it, "what are you doing?" Their intent is to be helpful so go with the flow. Wearing orange isn't Kryptonite.

WOO, I don't think he was referring to the opening post, he was referring to Dandt40's "I'm just a badass and I'll shoot back" response.

Stagger_Lee
12-08-2013, 00:55
This is how I do it on the FL trail.25170

Malto
12-08-2013, 09:18

It's funny, I do wear blaze orange on Sunday in PA, it's the color of my windshirt. Now I know why the deer were laughing at me!

DandT40
12-08-2013, 09:35
WOO, I don't think he was referring to the opening post, he was referring to Dandt40's "I'm just a badass and I'll shoot back" response.
I would expect someone with the word sarcasm in their actual screen name to be a little more perspective to it.

hikestofish
12-08-2013, 09:54

You heard the shot in the distance and then heard the ricochet? Sorry to tell you but that's not the way it works...unless you are really close and then it would appear to be simultaneous to our ears.

I don't do anything different during hunting season. I always have a blaze orange bandana on my dog but that's more so I can see her in the woods if she gets away from me. I either wear a blaze orange shirt or put my blaze orange pack cover on. I am a hunter and other hunters in the woods doesn't bother me at all. I also not afraid that a "drunk hunter" is going to shoot me but I still wear orange...not doing so is just asking for trouble. Some states require it, whether hunting or not. 99.9% of the hunters you will come across are responsible and obey all the laws. It's too bad that some people think of hunters as irresponsible a-holes with guns, beer and no teeth.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 10:39
Hunting in PA is a big multi-millon industry and Sunday is up for review so the law might change. I have too posted "that is the dumb......." I wish I could take it back in the past. We are here to learn from each other.

MuddyWaters
12-08-2013, 10:41
You heard the shot in the distance and then heard the ricochet? Sorry to tell you but that's not the way it works...unless you are really close and then it would appear to be simultaneous to our ears.

I can tell you in my experience, it is. It was almost simultaneous, but being on open water, I could hear the whiz sound for maybe about 1/4 sec or more after the report, tapering off as the bullet went away , kind of like zzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's too bad that some people think of hunters as irresponsible a-holes with guns, beer and no teeth.

Some people think pretty lowly of hikers or anyone with long hair and a beard too. As in all things, a few bad apples, leave lasting impressions.

mcstick
12-08-2013, 11:14
Im not new here and i have plenty hiking in hunting season expierence. Im completly blazed oranged when i hike.

I was calling out the fool who doesnt wear orange because he thinks he is some kind of bad ass.

Another Kevin
12-08-2013, 11:20

Uhm. If I'm hiking on Sunday in Pennsylvania, I likely haven't been home since Saturday. Would, "I've been backpacking since Friday, and the orange gear is what I have with me," be an acceptable answer to, "what are you doing?"

vamelungeon
12-08-2013, 11:29
Hahaha! That had to have been a troll post. If you get hit with a 180 grain .30-06 soft point bullet, you're not going to be returning fire or anything else. People wear reflective clothing when they job, bike, etc. in dusk/dawn/dark conditions. Bicycles have had reflectors on them since at least the 70's. All those reflective decals on emergency vehicles are there to make them more visible, as is blaze orange during hunting season. If that wasn't a troll post then it reflects a complete and utter lack of common sense. Refusing to wear blaze orange is ridiculous.

vamelungeon
12-08-2013, 11:31
And I meant "jog" not "job."

hikestofish
12-08-2013, 13:37
I can tell you in my experience, it is. It was almost simultaneous, but being on open water, I could hear the whiz sound for maybe about 1/4 sec or more after the report, tapering off as the bullet went away , kind of like zzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Some people think pretty lowly of hikers or anyone with long hair and a beard too. As in all things, a few bad apples, leave lasting impressions.

Then you were reasonably close to the shooter. I have been both close and far from people shooting at me...I have had near misses; shots that came within 10, 20 and 30 feet; ricochets, etc. They all sound different. The only time I have ever heard a shot and a crack near simultaneously was when the shooter was less than 100 meters from me. I'm not trying to turn the thread off topic and will not comment on this particular post anymore as the thread has already started to turn off topic.