PDA

View Full Version : Why McDonalds?

Pages : [1] 2

susiecruise
12-06-2013, 08:23
So I can appreciate craving some french fries and possible a mostly meatless McD burger, but why whnever I pick up thru hikers, they ALWAYS want to go to McDonalds? We have so many good places to get a real burger and fresh vegetables and I'll offer to take them whereever but most are set on McDonalds, which by the way s not conviently located near the AT.

Doc
12-06-2013, 08:40
Cheap, lots of calories, plenty of salt, easy to eat quickly, no need to clean up first, availability of large milk shake. Later in the day in town is time for a more refined meal but not when you just have a large hole to fill.

Tuckahoe
12-06-2013, 08:57
Its a comfort food for many. And sometimes when traveling its nice to go to someplace familiar rather than deal with regional fare and tastes that is normal to the locals but just odd to you. McDonalds is McDonalds no matter where you go and the price is rather predictable. No matter where I am a double cheeseburger and small fries is $2.50 or there about. If I have to have fast food my preference would be first a Sheetz then a BK.

Starchild
12-06-2013, 09:08
My take is, McD's has done a outstanding job marketing themselves to children and in that 'the inner child' we all have. The needs of a thru hiker is similar to that of a child - comfort, they want a sense of home and of belonging and acceptance. After being away from 'home' for so long, sometimes the appeal of local food is overshadowed by wanting to be taken to a place most closely related to back home. The care many trail angels give is also very 'parental' in nature, offering rides, treats, places to sleep. etc.

All that said I only had breakfast at McD's, and that perhaps only 2x, during my thru.

leaftye
12-06-2013, 09:09
Fast, cheap and familiar.

Malto
12-06-2013, 12:53

Exactly....

Sarcasm the elf
12-06-2013, 12:59
So I can appreciate craving some french fries and possible a mostly meatless McD burger, but why whnever I pick up thru hikers, they ALWAYS want to go to McDonalds? We have so many good places to get a real burger and fresh vegetables and I'll offer to take them whereever but most are set on McDonalds, which by the way s not conviently located near the AT.

Easy answer, it's because they don't know the area and have never had a pizza from Baba Louie's!

tiptoe
12-06-2013, 13:34
Usually when I get to a town, I look around to see what eateries are available, if I don't already know from my AT guide or word of mouth. If I'm hitchhiking and am going to be dropped off, I ask for a good place to eat and pursue the conversation from there. I often crave fries and a burger, but the golden arches are a last resort. I'd rather eat at a little diner where the waitresses (and they are usuallly waitresses) look like they're straight out of the 1940s.

MDSection12
12-06-2013, 13:36
I don't consider McDonald's to be a real burger, yet I still crave it from time to time.

Hairbear
12-06-2013, 14:34
My take is, McD's has done a outstanding job marketing themselves to children and in that 'the inner child' we all have. The needs of a thru hiker is similar to that of a child - comfort, they want a sense of home and of belonging and acceptance. After being away from 'home' for so long, sometimes the appeal of local food is overshadowed by wanting to be taken to a place most closely related to back home. The care many trail angels give is also very 'parental' in nature, offering rides, treats, places to sleep. etc.

All that said I only had breakfast at McD's, and that perhaps only 2x, during my thru.

This...preconditioned response,sort of a Pavlovic dog situation.

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 16:27
The Dollar menu

gollwoods
12-06-2013, 16:41
fast fat hot cheap

SCRUB HIKER
12-06-2013, 16:53
The Dollar menu

Alas, it's now called the Dollar Menu and More (http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-mcdonalds-dollar-menu-20131022,0,4530119.story) to accommodate price hikes. But yes, that has been my #1 reason for choosing McDonald's in trail towns as well.

ChinMusic
12-06-2013, 17:05
wifi...........

jimmyjam
12-06-2013, 17:12
The mcdouble for a buck and get four or five and a shake

Dogwood
12-06-2013, 17:13
Yup, it's believed by the masses to be fast, familiar, cheap, tasty, and convenient. It's image. As in imagination. As in the marketing gurus at McDonalds assisting the consumer in having the image that McDonalds wants portrayed that BEST serves McDonalds.

Interesting that Andre Agassi who was paid millions for Canon's marketing hype 'Image is Everything' later said his image was more a facade(FALSE FRONT) than reality.

hikerboy57
12-06-2013, 17:25
hey susiecruise!!
it was cool meeting you yesterday at jug end.i was lmao when i saw this thread, as i stopped for 2 bacon mcdoubles and a large chocolate shake on my way home to day. never made it to sages.stayed at race brook falls.565.

Rasty
12-06-2013, 17:53

We have a winner

Miner
12-06-2013, 18:26
Buying a large bag full of McDouble burgers off the Value Menu was a quick way to get alot of food on the cheap and with double the meat of a regular cheese burger, it isn't so meatless as the OP would have you believe. It was also easy to carry a few out of town on the next section. However, with the price increases on it this year, it isn't as big of a bargin as it use to be.

I like eating well in town and often crave something green, but there are times when I just want to bing on junk. And if I'm leaving town, I want something quick and easy to carry out for lunch or dinner that doesn't taste like the rest of the food in my pack.

Coffee
12-06-2013, 18:56
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I buy a meal at McDonalds (very rare), I end up paying $6-7, same as I would someplace like Chick-fil-a which IMO offers a far better product.

leaftye
12-06-2013, 19:10
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I buy a meal at McDonalds (very rare), I end up paying $6-7, same as I would someplace like Chick-fil-a which IMO offers a far better product.

Their service is horrendous every Sunday.

Slo-go'en
12-06-2013, 19:21

I don't think I'd eat at a Chick-fil-a for religious reasons, but yep, what you pay for a typical McD meal these days (or maybe a few dollars more) you can go get some real food some place else. Like an all you can eat Chinese buffet.

But if the choices are limited and time is a factor, the chicken wraps at McDs are pretty good.

rocketsocks
12-06-2013, 19:25
My best MacDonalds visit

upon ordering a voice came over the speaker and said "were getting ready to close, if you give me five bucks...I'll hook you up" I said ok, and pulled forward. The fella handed me a big bag of burgers, all kinds. I said thanks and started pulling away, when he said "hoed up", and proceeded to hand me two or three more (I really don't remember, it was a lot of bags)....me and my room mates ate burgers for three days...ugh I guess looking back, but at the time...Whatta score!

No offence to the Macca's down under, but we use to say that McD's served Kangaroo burgers when they couldn't get horse meat.

colorado_rob
12-06-2013, 19:43
Why McDonalds? Well, there's a reason about 500 trillion of them have been sold.... they TASTE good (the food snobs will disagree, of course). Yummy fries, burgers with fried onions for a buck (here in CO, at least). Hard to beat when all you want are salty, plentiful calories.

Mags
12-06-2013, 20:18
It's all about context. As the saying goes "Hunger makes the best sauce".

Post-Labor Day one year, my friends and I finished an off-trail hike after dark. We were SOOOOO hungry. Nothing, I mean nothing, was open up in Grand Lake when we finished in terms of food. We walked into one bar and grill around 8pm or so. We could still smell that wonderful aroma of fried onions, mushrooms and potatoes. It was still lingering in the air.

The waitress took one, rather sad, look at us, and said "We're sorry, the grill just closed" Only the bar was still open. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

We drove over Trail Ridge Road and hit the only place open in Estes Park: Mickey D's.

Not my first choice, but at 9pm at night those over-processed and salty burgers, fries and a shake tasted like manna from heaven. :)

Similar story in Jackson, WY after we finished in Teton NP. We managed to get to the Wendy's late night drive through 15m before it closed. Another fine meal that I still remember 2 yrs later! :D

Amazing how being hungry and being the only option open makes the food taste so darn good!

squeezebox
12-06-2013, 20:54
sometimes fuel is more important than food.
Count me as a food snob. Fast food is most often pretty much nasty compared to diner food.

squeezebox
12-06-2013, 21:00
Count me as a food snob. Fast food is most often pretty much nastier compared to diner food.
And besides support the local economy if you want them to support you as a hiker.

Nyte
12-06-2013, 21:13
Count me as a food snob. Fast food is most often pretty much nastier compared to diner food.
And besides support the local economy if you want them to support you as a hiker.

This is not quite so simple as it seems. Overall, yes this is more true than buying fast food, as if it's a local business, all the profits stay local and such. OTOH, when you buy at that fast food place, it helps keep it from being closed by corporate for not enough business, and keeps the locals who work there employed.

I agree, I would far rather support small business, but when you are in need, and the option you can get (be it for open and available, time, or money on hand) is corporate, at least you can know you helped keep those behind hte counter in demand.

I don't think from an economics perspective there is a completely good answer.

Astro
12-06-2013, 21:20
Its a comfort food for many. And sometimes when traveling its nice to go to someplace familiar rather than deal with regional fare and tastes that is normal to the locals but just odd to you. McDonalds is McDonalds no matter where you go and the price is rather predictable. No matter where I am a double cheeseburger and small fries is $2.50 or there about. If I have to have fast food my preference would be first a Sheetz then a BK.

When working in Brazil I had an Engineer come down from Houston for a couple of weeks to help us and I will never forget what he said. "No matter where you go in the world E=mc2, Pi = 3.14, and Big Mac and Fries taste the same".

Tri-Pod Bob
12-06-2013, 21:22
I go for the coffee.....only the coffee. Everything else they serve up makes me feel like crapola. I'm not a food snob by any means. I have eaten Wendy's & Burger King food with much less crapola effects. But, I will always prefer & chose good diner/restaurant food over any mass hysteria fast food joint. And, I'll go hungry before eating McD's again....it literally made me physically sick.

susiecruise
12-06-2013, 21:32
hey susiecruise!!
it was cool meeting you yesterday at jug end.i was lmao when i saw this thread, as i stopped for 2 bacon mcdoubles and a large chocolate shake on my way home to day. never made it to sages.stayed at race brook falls.565.

Funny!! Happy meal with large fries (no toy)

RedBeerd
12-06-2013, 22:05
I go for the mcnuggets after a good hike.

Valley Girl
12-06-2013, 23:35
Their service is horrendous every Sunday.
Now that was funny!

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 00:22
I was always amazed when growing up the hike club managed to find a Beer and a Burger or Blimpy at a local spot... never needed golden arches....

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 00:46

Exactly.

Mcdonalds really sucks, so does most fast-food. So why do people want to eat there?

1) its fast
2) its relatively cheap
3) you know what to expect, and its always exactly the same

rocketsocks
12-07-2013, 01:06
These golden arches can be seen flying over the town of Wind Gap PA, though we ate at the Wind Gap Diner instead.

(click to enlarge)

Sly
12-07-2013, 01:18
I'm sure my health is paying for it but I'm hooked on McD's steak, egg and cheese bagels, (breakfast burritos with hot sauce are good too) and their coffee (3 creams, 1 splenda) is good. Also, digging Burger King Angry Whoppers (whopper with jalapeno's, thick bacon, pepper jack cheese and secret sauce)

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 01:27
Actually Sly - its the calories. Tylenol is more dangerous. Your health should be fine.

Dogwood
12-07-2013, 02:06
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1823097]... never needed golden arches....[/QUOTE
They don't either in Sedona AZ. It's the only place I've witnessed Micky Dee's famous Golden Arches to be colored Desert Teal(Turquoise)
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/az/AZSEDgreenmcd_sheisgros.jpg

Dogwood
12-07-2013, 02:07
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/SedonaAZ_McDonaldsTurquoiseArches.jpg/220px-SedonaAZ_McDonaldsTurquoiseArches.jpg

hobby
12-07-2013, 02:14
Exactly.

Mcdonalds really sucks, so does most fast-food. So why do people want to eat there?

1) its fast
2) its relatively cheap

Truett Cathey (Chick Filet) said that you can build a business on bad coffee. But it has to be bad every time! You can't serve good coffee sometime and bad coffee sometime. Whatever you do has do be consistent. Mc'D's does this with their whole menu. And it works!

SunnyWalker
12-07-2013, 02:32
Probably cuz . . . . they are in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 02:48
I have never seen Chick do anything wrong. We have 10 new restaurants in the area and the lines spiral around them. In spite of the huge volume they are clean - neat and never disappoint. Walking in is more fun than the Drive Thru.

Then there is Whopper Wednesday.... ohhhhhhhhhh! Order without Ketchup and ask for a Zesty packet.... yum

Dogwood
12-07-2013, 03:29
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/product_nutrition.chicken.124.919.chicken-mcnuggets-4-piece.html OMG! Worse than what I thought - massive amts of sodium(salt), massive amts of "BAD" fat(including hydrogenated oil and a whopping amt of saturated fat), and cholesterol as well as MSG, CORN(actually a HUGE amt of corn(Genetically Modified of course) accounts for McNuggets), TBHQ(look it up, NOT NICE "stuff"), Dimethylpolysiloxane(had to look this one up myself, a type of silicone!, certainly doesn't sound like something I want to ingest). With that list you have to wonder the origin and definition of what the "chicken" is in McDonalds McNuggets. Should you want some "special dipping sauce" with your "nuggets" of deliciousness that contains lots of corn syrup including some varieties that are mostly High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) - SUGAR. They have all the BIG ones in there(w/the sauce) in MASSIVE AMOUNTS! - FAT(some of the nastiest unhealthiest kind too), SALT, and SUGAR. Keeps em coming back for more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_McNuggets http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25-ingredients-in-mcdonalds-chicken-mcnuggets.html http://www.rense.com/general76/chk.htm http://www.naturalnews.com/041646_chicken_mcnuggets_forensic_food_analysis_st range_fibers.html http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/whats-inside-chicken-nuggets-far-less-chicken-than-youd-think/ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/whats-infast-food_b_805190.html Reviews don't get much better either. No wonder the MD's overseeing Morgan Spurlock's health in Super Size Me, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary, advised Spurlock to quit the 30 day experiment or else he might die. If you absolutely must eat chicken like product from McDonalds you might try a Roasted Chicken sandwich. Skip the "special" dipping sauce and probably anything else McDonalds advertises as "special!" Personally, don't know exactly how much better this is, but I'd rather eat a Roasted Chicken Sandwich from Chic Fil A IF I had to eat fast food chicken. ***According to McDonald's annual 2009 financial report, McDonalds "officially" spent about $750 million in advertising 2009. THAT BUYS ALOT OF IMAGE! It's only your life at stake. Or, perhaps your families. McDonalds targets families, especially children(the adult's/parent's money!), and of course low income less educated overweight consumers.

Starchild
12-07-2013, 08:06
Probably cuz . . . . they are in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

That is also a factor, wanting food ASAP, not wanting to wait for food, even if the drive is further, it doesn't feel as long as waiting in a restaurant to be served.

Coffee
12-07-2013, 08:10
Chick fil a is hardly health food and I only eat there maybe once or twice each month but it is the only fast food I normally eat. A chicken breast is a chicken breast there... Not frozen Chicken composite. The food is still high in fat and salt but there are healthier options I choose to pass up (like the grilled chicken). In small towns I like to try the local places. If there aren't any or they look bad, fast food is sometimes the comfortable choice.

atmilkman
12-07-2013, 08:15
What I have been doing for years is when I want a Big Mac I order it made with 2 quarter pound patties, that way the meat is equal in size to the bun and I don't have to go digging for it. Reminds me of the way the sandwich used to be back in the 70's when I first started eating them. If you're a Big Mac fan try it.

Dogwood
12-07-2013, 16:08
Another BAD thing about simply gnoshing McDruggets and much(didn't say all)of the rest on the Micky Dee's menu is where's the fiber? Research has shown, people who eat the least fiber have much higher rates of heart disease, obesity, chronic inflammation, and metabolic syndrome.

When it gets down to it nothing tastes as good as healthy and fit feels.

Sarcasm the elf
12-07-2013, 20:02
Actually Sly - its the calories. Tylenol is more dangerous. Your health should be fine.

Yes but in fairness, Tylenol is shockingly dangerous if the directions aren't followed.

ChuckT
12-07-2013, 21:19
Mac as comfort food? The whole world reels in shock.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 21:26
So is pizza - as a pest control tech - guess who is the nastiest place to eat in America?....

Rasty
12-07-2013, 21:58
So is pizza - as a pest control tech - guess who is the nastiest place to eat in America?....

Chinese....

T.S.Kobzol
12-08-2013, 09:53
Haven't eaten mcd for almost 2years and before it was probably thrice per year.

Thanks to supersizeme and publishing of articles that reveal and describe ingredients the choice to not eat there was the most sensible option.

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

DavidNH
12-08-2013, 10:25
Is there any greater symbol of all that is America and American than McDonald's? I can't think of anything.

I enjoy an occasional meal at Mcds. But consider the fact that it costs 7-8 dollars in most places to eat there. For that price.. one can often find an AYCE chinese buffet, or prehaps load up on a southern breakfast of biscuits and gravy (No thanks on the Gritz!) omlette, hash browns and tea or cocoa! YUM! Personally.. I would probably ask to be taken to Burger Kind. Pretty much where ever there's a MCD's there's a Burger King somewhere nearby!

Coffee
12-08-2013, 11:22
Is there any greater symbol of all that is America and American than McDonald's? I can't think of anything.

I vote for Coca Cola. Got to have my artificially colored and flavored corn syrup! (in moderation!)

T.S.Kobzol
12-08-2013, 11:40
If you live in Canada you can kiss your corn syrup flavored Coke goodbye. Those traitors use sugar.

Sly
12-08-2013, 12:43
Then there is Whopper Wednesday.... ohhhhhhhhhh! Order without Ketchup and ask for a Zesty packet.... yum

Whoppers have mayonnaise, not ketchup. :)

hikerboy57
12-08-2013, 12:47
Whoppers have mayonnaise, not ketchup. :)
they have both

johnnybgood
12-08-2013, 13:08
There's a myriad of reasons I can think of immediately ; something familiar, convenience , and affordability. Their dollar menu is as cheap as it gets.
Unfortunately we, (this country) have become so indoctrinated that McDonalds is our go to eatery even when there's a healthier cheap alternative on the next block, such as Subway .
Our culture wants instant everything, ignoring the consequences of eating fast food that's loaded with sodium.

It was such fun to talk to disgruntled visitors at the hospital where I work after McDonalds lost it's contract this past year. Our new CEO decided to go to having a food court setup that introduced a healthier mix of food .
It wasn't a popular decision and trying to rationale with these folks , well let's just say was mind- boggling

bamboo bob
12-08-2013, 13:42
You never picked me up I guess. McD has no beer. I have no idea why anyone goes there.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2013, 13:57
You never picked me up I guess. McD has no beer. I have no idea why anyone goes there.

In italy the mcdonalds do sell beer. Sadly, it tasted worse than their burgers. :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
12-08-2013, 14:02
In italy the mcdonalds do sell beer. Sadly, it tasted worse than their burgers. :rolleyes:
they should stick to wine.italian beer is kinda like mexican vodka.
care for mcred or mcwhite?

rocketsocks
12-08-2013, 14:02
they have both
secret sauce

Mags
12-08-2013, 19:35

Italy has some of the most wonderful food in the world. Delicious coffee. Yummy wine.

Their beer tastes like recycled dog piss. :D

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 19:40
Italy has some of the most wonderful food in the world. Delicious coffee. Yummy wine.

Probably cuz . . . . they are in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuckahoe
12-08-2013, 19:55

MAGS! Please tell me you've not really consumed recycled dog piss :p

Mags
12-08-2013, 20:18

Ah..if you only knew the answer. :D

Nyte
12-08-2013, 20:46

Also known as Coors Light.

Astro
12-08-2013, 23:15
they have both

But if you ask, they can do it with mustard.
"Have it your way!"

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 23:20
Chicken nuggets do not taste as good as Shelter mice ... I have the pellets to prove it,,, Shelter mice are low in fat, little or no fat, lack Sodium and are very healthy.... Don't need a clown to tell me this.... just saying. I love it!

rocketsocks
12-08-2013, 23:28
But if you ask, they can do it with mustard.
"Have it your way!"

that's cause Burger king did it first

somethin somethin onions, pickles, lettuce, special orders don't upset us.

Nyte
12-09-2013, 10:05
that's cause Burger king did it first

somethin somethin onions, pickles, lettuce, special orders don't upset us.

I believe you were going for; "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, onions, pickles on a sesame seed bun."

Though the "all beef" is a technicality, as while all of it does come from the cow, it's not all meat/fat. A lot more over the years has become filler, including the recently famed "pink goo/slime". That and the chemical barrage of artificial preservatives and taste additives. There is a reason some of us call them "Mc-Death burgers".

Also, the high salt content makes you thirsty. Sure, they now offer free refills while you dine in, but the majority of customers don't dine in, and you subconsciously recall that you were thirstier last time you ate there, and order the larger drink. Also, the mind is programmed to remember where it got sodium, since it's something the body needs, but isn't usually plentiful in instinct level food sources, so the primitive brain influences desire to return to plentiful sources of it.

Fast food, and it's marketing is so wrapped up in the science of creating and nurturing addiction that it should be criminal. They are no better than crack dealers on the corner really.

HikerMom58
12-09-2013, 10:09
I never eat a Mickey D's. Now I do like the whopper junior occasionally.. having it my way. ;)

WorldPeaceAndStuff
12-09-2013, 10:19
I can eat two double cheeseburgers and still be hungry. If I made those same burgers at home in same proportion I couldn't eat both all the way.

rocketsocks
12-09-2013, 10:22
I believe you were going for; "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, onions, pickles on a sesame seed bun."

Though the "all beef" is a technicality, as while all of it does come from the cow, it's not all meat/fat. A lot more over the years has become filler, including the recently famed "pink goo/slime". That and the chemical barrage of artificial preservatives and taste additives. There is a reason some of us call them "Mc-Death burgers".

Also, the high salt content makes you thirsty. Sure, they now offer free refills while you dine in, but the majority of customers don't dine in, and you subconsciously recall that you were thirstier last time you ate there, and order the larger drink. Also, the mind is programmed to remember where it got sodium, since it's something the body needs, but isn't usually plentiful in instinct level food sources, so the primitive brain influences desire to return to plentiful sources of it.

Fast food, and it's marketing is so wrapped up in the science of creating and nurturing addiction that it should be criminal. They are no better than crack dealers on the corner really.
Did you ever see "The Yes Men" Film/Documentary?

Yeah I don't usually get a drink, not into dealing with a bucket of coke.

Nyte
12-09-2013, 12:01
Did you ever see "The Yes Men" Film/Documentary?

Yeah I don't usually get a drink, not into dealing with a bucket of coke.

You know, I never did get around to watching that one. Yeah, I don't drink soda anymore anyway, and really avoid fast food 99.99% of the time. Even if I do for whatever reason, I just drink water.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 12:06
... Fast food, and it's marketing is so wrapped up in the science of creating and nurturing addiction that it should be criminal. They are no better than crack dealers on the corner really. Well, actually, I think the pseudo-science based "nutritionists" that have flooded the media with scare tactics about the Evils of fast food are right up there. Like convincing ourselves that we have to shop at Whole Paycheck, er... Whole Foods to eat healthy. Funny how people are living longer and longer, with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food! Congratulations on being brainwashed by popular media.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 12:09
Here's just one of many links showing what I said earlier: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/NCVDSS_DTM/DetailedData.aspx?state=United+States&Category=1&Indicator=84&Stratification=Gender

Sarcasm the elf
12-09-2013, 13:18
Well, actually, I think the pseudo-science based "nutritionists" that have flooded the media with scare tactics about the Evils of fast food are right up there. Like convincing ourselves that we have to shop at Whole Paycheck, er... Whole Foods to eat healthy. Funny how people are living longer and longer, with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food! Congratulations on being brainwashed by popular media.

There are a lot if conjobs and snake oil salesmen on both sides.

Personally I believe the simple rule that If you can't pronounce the ingredients, or of your great-grandmother (or someone in her generation) would recognize it as food, then you probably shouldn't eat it.

susiecruise
12-09-2013, 13:20
I never eat a Mickey D's. Now I do like the whopper junior occasionally.. having it my way. ;)

I with ya on whopper jr's, if I really hungry then two

Nyte
12-09-2013, 13:39
Well, actually, I think the pseudo-science based "nutritionists" that have flooded the media with scare tactics about the Evils of fast food are right up there. Like convincing ourselves that we have to shop at Whole Paycheck, er... Whole Foods to eat healthy. Funny how people are living longer and longer, with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food! Congratulations on being brainwashed by popular media.

Actually, I never said it was horrible, I merely pointed out that it is filled with chemical preservatives, and utilizes proven science to create addiction. I don't eat fast food for a number of reasons, the chief among them personal observations of how it directly, and immediately affects my body.

As for living longer, there are a large number of factors in that, less threat to life from physical dangers, vaccination against common causes of death, better medical treatment of illness, etc.

As for brainwashing by the media, good luck there, I don't watch tv, listen to broadcast radio, nor do I regularly read news from any outlet. I an a skeptic of anything reported, so when I do research something, I look at all sides of it before considering a position on it.

I agree, a lot of the "experts" that fire off at any style of eating are doing so for all the wrong reasons, and often with incomplete data.

So to you I reply with; congratulations on firing a judgement without knowing the person.

Tuckahoe
12-09-2013, 13:40
I can eat two double cheeseburgers and still be hungry. If I made those same burgers at home in same proportion I couldn't eat both all the way.

Forgive me because I really want to call shenanigans. On their hamburgers, cheeseburgers, double cheeseburgers and McDoubles, McDonalds uses 10/1 patties (10 patties to the pound). Are you really only using 1.6oz patties at home?

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 13:47
A burger should be real food. That means meat. No fillers, no chemicals no pink goo. You don't need any media to figure that out.

Anything less =you're getting screwed.

If you don't like getting screwed and if you still eat at mcds then here is no better explanation than being addicted or brainwashed to eat the crap.

But maybe you should shop for a bucket of chemicals, pink goo, cow skin. Bring it home, and mix it with your dinner to save money. At least you get the full benefit of the savings. ;)

Tuckahoe
12-09-2013, 13:53
I find that I all to often object to the comparisons of McDonald's or other fast food companies to crack dealers. This topic like so many others becomes yet another excuse to lay the blame at someone else's feet rather shouldering the blame yourself. Its now "I got fat because of McDonald's," rather than "I got fat because I went to McDonald's and ate 2 Big Macs, 2 large fries, and 3 refills on a large Coke."

I am then humored how folks will poopoo McDonald's while extolling the virture of AYCE Chinese food (you wont go to McD, but you will eat that garbage Chinese food?), or getting larger portions at some other fast food place... If you are spending $7-$8 at McD, you are eating too damn much.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 14:05
A burger should be real food. That means meat. No fillers, no chemicals no pink goo. You don't need any media to figure that out.

Anything less =you're getting screwed.

If you don't like getting screwed and if you still eat at mcds then here is no better explanation than being addicted or brainwashed to eat the crap.
Serious question: Do McD's burgers have all sorts of weird stuff???? Never heard that. I thought they were simply ground beef, bread, onions, ketchup, mustard and LOTS of salt. Correct me if I'm wrong. Fries? Potatoes, veg. oil and again, LOTS of salt. sounds like good food to me! (unless you have high BP, which I do not, so salt is not an issue).

Sarcasm the elf
12-09-2013, 14:21
Serious question: Do McD's burgers have all sorts of weird stuff???? Never heard that. I thought they were simply ground beef, bread, onions, ketchup, mustard and LOTS of salt. Correct me if I'm wrong. Fries? Potatoes, veg. oil and again, LOTS of salt. sounds like good food to me! (unless you have high BP, which I do not, so salt is not an issue).

McDonald's uses thousands of ingredients that you would not suspect. One simple example is below.
The sad thing is that thanks to FDA regulations, they are not required to list all ingredients, since some of the terminology used allows them to conceal dozens of by-products, fillers and artificial chemicals by lumping them into the definition of other ingredients. The third rate meat known as "pink slime" can be added and included as "beef" the phrase "natural flavors" can be used in place of listing out a full page or more of different chemical ingredients. The chicken nuggets used to be the worst culprit, though i haven't seen the ingredient list since they reformulated them.

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 14:21
Here is something I googled quickly:
http://www.thankyourbody.com/mcdonalds-hamburger/

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 14:50
"Funny how people are living..., with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food!" REALLY? How do you come to this notion? The two leading cause of death in this country are heart disease and cancer, accounting for almost half the deaths annually(STAGGERING!), and the death rate from diabetes is rising. Numerous research has amply demonstrated all those diseases can have a nutritional causal component or further complicate the severity of these dis-eases. Morbid Obesity is getting to the point of an epidemic. And yet you claim we're having fewer health problems?

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 14:54
"Funny how people are living..., with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food!" REALLY? How do you come to this notion? The two leading cause of death in this country are heart disease and cancer, accounting for almost half the deaths annually(STAGGERING!), and the death rate from diabetes is rising. Numerous research has amply demonstrated all those diseases can have a nutritional causal component or further complicate the severity of these dis-eases. Morbid Obesity is getting to the point of an epidemic. And yet you claim we're having fewer health problems?
i eat mcdonalds a few times a week. i am neither obese,dead, diabetic,or stupid.my blood pressure is on the low side, and i work in a high pressure environment.
diet is only one factor in overall health.

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 14:59
a little over a year ago, a dear coworker of mine, john curlander, died from lung cancer 5 months after he was diagnosed.he worked out regularly, ate nothing but health foods, big on avocados, took fish oil pills, and other "nutritional supplements" and never smoked a day in his life.
never ate mcdonalds or any other junk food.
go figure.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 15:01
"Funny how people are living..., with fewer health problems after having gorged ourselves for decades on such horrible food!" REALLY? How do you come to this notion? The two leading cause of death in this country are heart disease and cancer, accounting for almost half the deaths annually(STAGGERING!), and the death rate from diabetes is rising. Numerous research has amply demonstrated all those diseases can have a nutritional causal component or further complicate the severity of these dis-eases. Morbid Obesity is getting to the point of an epidemic. And yet you claim we're having fewer health problems? I quoted a link for my claim, would YOU please? funny stuff, that link to what's in a McD's burger, the very first thing it says is that McD quit using those beef fillers. Do you think ANY bread you get from the grocery is any better than McD's buns? Probably not, unless you get a true organic product (not what the unregulated industry claims is Organic). And do you REALLY think eating McD's burgers (or fries) contributes to Obesity? Obesity comes from eating more calories than using, simple as that. Congratulations, again, for buying into Media tripe. YES, I am claiming people are living longer, the ultimate measure of Health. If you're obese dear sir (or Ma'am), eat less. Exercise more. I eat what you all call "crap" food all the time, and I'm 57. Zero health problems, no excess body fat. All my hiking climbing friends laugh at this nonsense, constantly perpetuated by fat people, thinking there is some cure for their lack of caloric consumption control. The only overweight/unhealthy person in our little group ONLY eats "health" food. Imagine that! Take one good example: Do you REALLY think, from an obesity standpoint, that eating, say, an Apple is somehow magically better for you than, say, the equivalent calories in Jelly Beans? I'm glad, personally that these Health myths exist because I bought stock in various "health food" equities some time ago, not because I believe them but, of course, because I knoew the general populous would. Thank you for enhancing my financial positions, made even better because I eat $1.00 McD's burgers on a regular basis!

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:10

The body requires a certain amount of grease to function properly and thier bodies are saying "feed me grease". If any of you stop in Fort Royal, try the cheese burgers at Sprelunker's...probably the best I've ever had, not as much grease as McD tho.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:11
a little over a year ago, a dear coworker of mine, john curlander, died from lung cancer 5 months after he was diagnosed.he worked out regularly, ate nothing but health foods, big on avocados, took fish oil pills, and other "nutritional supplements" and never smoked a day in his life.
go figure.

The only thing worse than dieing is to be here and never live.

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 15:12
As I'm getting older I could now (unfortunately) count many of my past friends who were smokers who kept telling me stories of their past uncles or grandfathers who smoked all their life and lived to be over 90 years old. Yet these friends have now passed on from lung cancer. We're all heroes until the bad news comes.

Even if you were the exception and were extremely healthy why would you take a side of a corporation that adds crap into their food to take more of your money home? Food should be just food. If you want to claim that some store bought bread is just as bad as mcdonalds bun then vote with your dollar and don't buy the store bought bread either. The principle of this is simple. Do not give your hard earned dollars to those who will give you inferior product in return. There should be no reason to put anything but 4 or 5 ingredients in making bread.

If people had some pride to vote regularly with their wallet there would be less crappy food out there and we would probably save many local jobs as well.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:13
i eat mcdonalds a few times a week. i am neither obese,dead, diabetic,or stupid.my blood pressure is on the low side, and i work in a high pressure environment.
diet is only one factor in overall health.

I'll believe you on 3 out of 4.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:21
I find that I all to often object to the comparisons of McDonald's or other fast food companies to crack dealers. This topic like so many others becomes yet another excuse to lay the blame at someone else's feet rather shouldering the blame yourself. Its now "I got fat because of McDonald's," rather than "I got fat because I went to McDonald's and ate 2 Big Macs, 2 large fries, and 3 refills on a large Coke."

I am then humored how folks will poopoo McDonald's while extolling the virture of AYCE Chinese food (you wont go to McD, but you will eat that garbage Chinese food?), or getting larger portions at some other fast food place... If you are spending $7-$8 at McD, you are eating too damn much.

Agree, heard a fellow at the gym say he's never seen an obese person that didn't blame it on somebody else, he's probably close to right. We'll probably be calling eating a desease pretty soon, just like over drinking is now called a desease, I call it a choice. Granted weight control may be harder for some than others, mainly due to how you ate and exercised early in life, but it's still in your control.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 15:34
As I'm getting older I could now (unfortunately) count many of my past friends who were smokers who kept telling me stories of their past uncles or grandfathers who smoked all their life and lived to be over 90 years old. Yet these friends have now passed on from lung cancer. We're all heroes until the bad news comes.

Even if you were the exception and were extremely healthy why would you take a side of a corporation that adds crap into their food to take more of your money home? Food should be just food. If you want to claim that some store bought bread is just as bad as mcdonalds bun then vote with your dollar and don't buy the store bought bread either. The principle of this is simple. Do not give your hard earned dollars to those who will give you inferior product in return. There should be no reason to put anything but 4 or 5 ingredients in making bread.. sorry, again, I don't buy into what you call "crap" food (in this instance, Mc D's, but really, I suspect you Media victims put all fast food in this category). I personally am not a victim of advertising, because, simply, I don't SEE advertising. Haven't watched TV in at least 20 years, and billboards don't exist in my neck of the woods (illegal, thankfully, over most of Colorado). Still, every time I go get a Mc D's I enjoy it. And Wendy's, for that matter. So I don't call these foods an inferior product, plain and simple. they are tasty and fill me up (probably because of the excess salt, which I freely admit is bad for some in fast food). Looking around at ingredients on food products, I see these same "crap" ingredients everywhere. McD's has no monopoly on them. My loaf of "nature's own 100% grain" bread... yikes! The label shows a virtual Chemistry course! I've read plenty of labels, and really, unless you go to a local baker for fresh bread every day, you don't have much choice. The real question here: Are these multitudes of chemicals, prevalent in all but the ACTUAL organic, natural foods really bad for you? Seems not, again, given our trend in age and overall health, except the obesity thing, and apparently now I see Diabetes. Does anyone really think fast food directly contributes to either of these two maladies? I don't. Prove to me that they do and I'll start voting with my wallet. Over eating/under exercising certainly does. And our high-glycemic diet (exacerbated by the ridiculous "low fat" craze, which basically sends the Marks (consumers of media tripe) to sugars, much worse for you than fats). All I see is media nonsense, including "studies" that obviously come from special interests. You DO have a valid argument on the jobs thing though. Maybe at least the pay scales will change here shortly, eh?

Coffee
12-09-2013, 15:35
The body requires a certain amount of grease to function properly and thier bodies are saying "feed me grease". If any of you stop in Fort Royal, try the cheese burgers at Sprelunker's...probably the best I've ever had, not as much grease as McD tho.
+1 on Spelunkers. Be sure to order a shake as well.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:36

Dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. Everbody out there is giving you thier opinion based on the outcome they want. Heard a doctor say the nation has an epidemic of folks suffering from a lack of vitamin D while the dermetologists are telling everyone dont go out into the sun and use sunblock if you do......moderation in all things!

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 15:38
I quoted a link for my claim, would YOU please? funny stuff, that link to what's in a McD's burger, the very first thing it says is that McD quit using those beef fillers. Do you think ANY bread you get from the grocery is any better than McD's buns? Probably not, unless you get a true organic product (not what the unregulated industry claims is Organic). And do you REALLY think eating McD's burgers (or fries) contributes to Obesity? Obesity comes from eating more calories than using, simple as that. Congratulations, again, for buying into Media tripe. YES, I am claiming people are living longer, the ultimate measure of Health. If you're obese dear sir (or Ma'am), eat less. Exercise more. I eat what you all call "crap" food all the time, and I'm 57. Zero health problems, no excess body fat. All my hiking climbing friends laugh at this nonsense, constantly perpetuated by fat people, thinking there is some cure for their lack of caloric consumption control. The only overweight/unhealthy person in our little group ONLY eats "health" food. Imagine that! Take one good example: Do you REALLY think, from an obesity standpoint, that eating, say, an Apple is somehow magically better for you than, say, the equivalent calories in Jelly Beans? I'm glad, personally that these Health myths exist because I bought stock in various "health food" equities some time ago, not because I believe them but, of course, because I knoew the general populous would. Thank you for enhancing my financial positions, made even better because I eat $1.00 McD's burgers on a regular basis!
+1 :sun

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 15:38
I'll believe you on 3 out of 4.
ok, so im dead. now what?

Coffee
12-09-2013, 15:42
Moderation is the key... I eat at restaurants maybe once a week, drink a soda about once a week, etc. IMO, most restaurant food is unhealthy relative to what one would prepare at home. I'm not sure that McDonalds is so much worse than what are perceived to be higher end places like Panera or Chipotle. Pretty much any restaurant food will be high in fat and sodium. McDonalds shouldn't be singled out.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:43
I have only one issue with the Big Mac, I normally have them when driving the interstate, go thru the drive thru and continue driving, only problem is that 1/2 of the stuff on the meat ends up in my lap and the other 1/2 on the steering wheel.

colorado_rob
12-09-2013, 15:44
Here's another CDC link for mortality in the USA: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db88.htm with a direct quote from the first paragraph: "Although single year improvements in mortality were often small, the age-adjusted risk of dying dropped 60 percent from 1935 to 2010" .. wow, 60 percent. Yes, of course, here's another quote: "Heart disease, cancer, and stroke were among the five leading causes every year between 1935 and 2010.". so what? We have more work to do, but the bottom line is that we're living longer. Exercise more, duh!!! Post on forums (for a?) less. Time to go climb a mountain (literally, right now)! See ya soon.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:47
My best MacDonalds visit

upon ordering a voice came over the speaker and said "were getting ready to close, if you give me five bucks...I'll hook you up" I said ok, and pulled forward. The fella handed me a big bag of burgers, all kinds. I said thanks and started pulling away, when he said "hoed up", and proceeded to hand me two or three more (I really don't remember, it was a lot of bags)....me and my room mates ate burgers for three days...ugh I guess looking back, but at the time...Whatta score!

No offence to the Macca's down under, but we use to say that McD's served Kangaroo burgers when they couldn't get horse meat.

I dont recall if it was a McDs or another place but I had the same thing happen...mine was free tho.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 15:51
ok, so im dead. now what?

LOL....that cures the other issue.

ChinMusic
12-09-2013, 16:15
Moderation is the key...

Spoken to a bunch of thru-hikers.......

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 16:16
go figure.

Here's what I go figure - risk factors. Risk factors are about odds not absolutes. Those who smoke cigarettes are at a higher risk of lung cancer and emphysema compared to the rest of the general population. Those who drive recklessly by speeding through red lights have a higher risk factor of accidents. Those who drink alcohol to excess have higher risk factors associated with liver disease. Those who gluttonously jam crap down their gullets have higher rates of disease. It doesn't mean EVERYONE who smokes cigarettes gets lung cancer or emphysema. It doesn't mean EVERYONE who has ever sped through a red light has had an accident. It doesn't mean EVERYONE who jams crap down their gullets or who are gluttonous show immediate symptoms of disease. *Do what you want but I take a proactive health and fitness approach by examining my lifestyle behaviors and choices OVERALL and reducing what I believe to be risk factors associated with a lower quality and shorter longevity of life. I don't ignore my personal responsibility in what I experience in life!

BUT, I sure as damn well will not ignore what companies like McDonalds do especially in what they market and the way they market their products.
NOTICE, you don't see many healthy and fit(didn't say just large) world class athletes such as Olympic athletes, marathoners, triathletes, etc that regularly gnosh Big Macs, McDruggets, fries, shakes, and apple like pies. I suspect you don't regularly visit Micky Dees/Walmart/KFC/AYCE Buffets, etc to watch ALL the hot beautiful healthy and fit people shopping there?

I agree with Tuckahoe and DryBones. RARELY, do obese people factor in their own choices/behavior/lack of personal responsibility for their obesity. Until, one recognizes they themselves determine their destiny that they have a say in the quality of their lives they live the blame game card will continue to be played and people will suffer.

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 16:25
Keep this in context of this bigger picture. McDonalds no matter how they spin it through advertising and marketing are ULTIMATELY MOST CONCERNED about their image their profit NOT YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS. Some have even said McDonalds intentionally markets to fat people and may even have a vested interest in making people fat because fat people eat more which COULD mean greater profits for McDonalds.

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 16:36
Keep this in context of this bigger picture. McDonalds no matter how they spin it through advertising and marketing are ULTIMATELY MOST CONCERNED about their image their profit NOT YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS. Some have even said McDonalds intentionally markets to fat people and may even have a vested interest in making people fat because fat people eat more which COULD mean greater profits for McDonalds.
mcdonalds as well as other fast food joints have added salads as well as a number of "healthier"choices because of peoples changing dietary trends.fat people,by the way, do not necessarily eat more. their metabolisms are generally a lot slower, and they lead less active lifestyles.
you're picking and choosing your facts to support your argument.

daddytwosticks
12-09-2013, 16:44
"McDonald's is my kind of place..they serve you rattle snakes..." Can't remember the rest of that little ditty. It was a long time ago. :)

Dogwood
The objective for McDonalds is still corporate IMAGE. McDonald's ultimate objective is still PROFITS! NOT YOUR HEALTH. Corporate IMAGE through advertising and marketing helps achieve those profits.

Tuckahoe
Oh yes, let me tell ya fat people are great at eating too much and learn to hide it pretty well. You don't get fat because you have a slow metabolism. The great majority of fat people are that way because they eat too much and work too little then hunt for excuses that make them feel better.

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 16:51
Oh yes, let me tell ya fat people are great at eating too much and learn to hide it pretty well. You don't get fat because you have a slow metabolism. The great majority of fat people are that way because they eat too much and work too little then hunt for excuses that make them feel better.
absolutely 100% wrong and a terrible over generalization.you dont have to eat much, you only have to eat wrong. i can eat wrong all day long and i will not gain weight.i attribute that to my metabolism, as well as an active lifestyle. as with most health issues. its never so cut and dry.if fat people ate carrots and celery sticks all day they would lose weight.

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 17:06
sorry guys, im not defending mcds or espousing that mcd is the key to a healthy lifestyle, but health is regulated by not just the physical, but also the emotional, spiritual, mental and financial state of the individual.
some people are gluttonous, no doubt. but thats not the main reason people get fat.
someone before said moderation in everything.

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 18:15
I think that dumping on fat or poor or stupid people is such a low hanging fruit ... It's so easy and obvious . At the same time overlooking the smarts and resources of large corporation is doing everyone a disservice. They spend huge money on understanding the human psychology and subsequently exploiting our weaknesses or trigger points.

I Icould let it slide but I wouldn't dump on those who succumbed.

Most importantly I would not cut any slack to a company that puts substitutions into food. My kids make fun of my ****list. :) I stopped going to cracker barrel because they served me instant mashed potatoes. :)

Drybones
12-09-2013, 18:27
The objective for McDonalds is still corporate IMAGE. McDonald's ultimate objective is still PROFITS! NOT YOUR HEALTH. Corporate IMAGE through advertising and marketing helps achieve those profits.

Duhhhh...go figure, profit is the goal, and only goal, of every business, everything is driven by that,the one you work for or own also, not profittable, then nonexistent....and there's nothing wrong with being profittable.

ChinMusic
12-09-2013, 18:34
Duhhhh...go figure, profit is the goal, and only goal, of every business, everything is driven by that,the one you work for or own also, not profittable, then nonexistent....and there's nothing wrong with being profittable.

this..............

johnnybgood
12-09-2013, 18:35

Yep! Even hospitals are putting profits ahead of patient care . I kid you not.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 18:49

The smart hospitals will be profittable because they put patient care first, the others will eventually fall by the wayside. Companies have to understand what the customer wants to be profittable in the long run, normally that means having a good product, good service, good price, and good interaction with the customer. I'm about as frugal (some say cheap) as you get, but there are places I'm willing to spend a little more because of good service.

ChinMusic
12-09-2013, 18:51

The difference is that a hospitals product IS health. A restaurant's is not.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 19:00
The difference is that a hospitals product IS health. A restaurant's is not.

Goal is the same, make a profit through serving a customer well. Companies that focus on the customer will be profittable, companies that dont go the way of all flesh.

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 19:15
We all need to listen and consider more carefully. Lots of valid and reasonable pts are being made by posters.

Hikerboy, I agree with you that health can be defined by more than physical atributes. It's rarely so cut and dried as you say. It is often very complex. Let's get away from "main"reasons why so many folks are morbidly obese and unhealthy although I think we can all agree that those who are MORBIDLY OBESE are not healthy people. IF anyone wishes to debate that they should look up in several places the definition of morbidly obese. I challenge everyone to find a Medical Practioner that says being morbidly obese is OK or that a person in that state is healthy.

I ask that each one of us answers this question for ourselves: DO you believe McDonalds contriibutes more to a morbidly obese/unhealthy lifestyle or to an overall healthy lifestyle for those that consume its products? No argument. McDonalds food overall - healthy or Unhealthy?

"Duhhhh...go figure, profit is the goal, and only goal, of every business, everything is driven by that,.." You might want to look around at some more business' models and corparte mission sttements. SOME businesses intentionally operate by balancing the need to be proftable while still not selling away their souls - Patgonia, Whole Foods, Chipolte, REI(at least in the past), etc

"....and there's nothing wrong with being profittable."

SO, to what extent can a corporation go to achieving it's desired profits before it's deeemd as doing "wrong"?

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 19:18
Hospitals goal is to bill and collect money. If it means that instead of getting everything done efficiently you come back several times for which you get billed every time then be it. Consequently it is not always good for your health.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 19:34
[QUOTE=Dogwood;1824004]. McDonalds food overall - healthy or Unhealthy?

QUOTE]

Drybones
12-09-2013, 19:38
[QUOTE=Drybones;1824015][QUOTE=Dogwood;1824004]. McDonalds food overall - healthy or Unhealthy? QUOTE]

Sorry for the fat finger.
We can make anything unhealthy, too much milk or anything else is bad for you. Too much sun bad, too little sun, vitamin D defficiancy. A burger now and then, okay, 4 double cheeseburgers a day, bad.

Tuckahoe
12-09-2013, 19:47

I with ya on whopper jr's, if I really hungry then two

Hmmmmmm... susiecruise?

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 20:19
We all need to listen and consider more carefully. Lots of valid and reasonable pts are being made by posters.

Hikerboy, I agree with you that health can be defined by more than physical atributes. It's rarely so cut and dried as you say. It is often very complex. Let's get away from "main"reasons why so many folks are morbidly obese and unhealthy although I think we can all agree that those who are MORBIDLY OBESE are not healthy people. IF anyone wishes to debate that they should look up in several places the definition of morbidly obese. I challenge everyone to find a Medical Practioner that says being morbidly obese is OK or that a person in that state is healthy.

I ask that each one of us answers this question for ourselves: DO you believe McDonalds contriibutes more to a morbidly obese/unhealthy lifestyle or to an overall healthy lifestyle for those that consume its products? No argument. McDonalds food overall - healthy or Unhealthy?

"Duhhhh...go figure, profit is the goal, and only goal, of every business, everything is driven by that,.." You might want to look around at some more business' models and corparte mission sttements. SOME businesses intentionally operate by balancing the need to be proftable while still not selling away their souls - Patgonia, Whole Foods, Chipolte, REI(at least in the past), etc

"....and there's nothing wrong with being profittable."

SO, to what extent can a corporation go to achieving it's desired profits before it's deeemd as doing "wrong"?
thats up to the shareholders.

rickb
12-09-2013, 20:50
thats up to the shareholders.

Here is a good book regarding some of what you are getting at which was written by an AT thru hiker.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/conscious-capitalism-new-book-our-co-founder-and-co-ceo-john-mackey

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 21:14
Here is a good book regarding some of what you are getting at which was written by an AT thru hiker.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/conscious-capitalism-new-book-our-co-founder-and-co-ceo-john-mackey

yes ,there are a few corporations that do indeed get it right.

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 21:42
"...mcdonalds as well as other fast food joints have added salads as well as a number of "healthier"choices because of peoples changing dietary trends"

You seem to have not been closely following developments in the past 30 yrs in the fast food industry. McDonalds DID NOT simply VOLUNTARILY change its menu in response to dietary trends! It MOST DEFINITELY WAS NOT JUST DIETARY TRENDS which PRESSURED those in the fast food industry, such as MCdonalds, to start offering supposedly healthier or lower fat menu options! In the 80's MANY in the fast food industry, including McDonalds, were being publically scrutinized(TV, Newspapers, magazines, FDA, child welfare groups, etc), even by several other Gov't entities, for their UNHEALTHY PRODUCTS including their UNHEALTHY NUTRIONALLY POOR INGREDIENTS in those products! - HIGH fat levels, HIGH sodium levels, HIGH cholesterol levels, hydrogenated oils, lack of fiber, added questionable ingredfients, lack of "living" foods, etc - AND the targeted marketing of their products, like McDruggets, specifically to children. AND, that is still happening to some extent today!

Fast food companies, LIKE Mc Donalds, were having their IMAGES tarnished. The IMAGE of their products were being affected. They had tp protect THEIR IMAGE. So, with much public fanfare, including much advertising and marketing(including a sizable $$$ input), Mcdonalds introduced salads, some lower fat menu options(Veggie/no meat patties, for example), publically listed ingredients and some nutitional information(they still fudge their ingredients every chance they get!), and the economica(VALUE!) DOLLAR MENU(marketing to the poor, low income, and those on a tight budget!) - ALWAYS in ways that benefit THEIR IMAGE. McDonalds itself spent 100's of millions to repair and remodel it's UNHEALTHY IMAGE in the last two decades to insure profitts. YOU KNOW WHAT? They succeeded to a large extent. McDonalds, and others in the fast food industry, weathered the worst of the bad press. Some companies made definte nutritional improvements in the quality of their products and policies. But, remeber they were PRESSURED to do this!

And, when the bad press and focus sufficiently eased and shifted from the UNHEALTHINESS of MCDONALDS products what did they do? They went back to some, but not all, of their old unhealthy all in the name of IMAGE and PROFIT methods AND THEY DIDN"T CARE ABOUT A SEGMENT OF THEIR MARKET WHO WOULD SUFFER - CHILDREN! And, they do it over and over today!

EXAMPLE. Here's what McDonalds will NOT tell you! You have to know the longer term nutritional content and marketing that went along with McNugget history, an extremly profitable and most recognized McDonalds menu product, again, highly marketed to children. I'm fairly confident McNuggets may very well have taken over as the most sold single item on the entire McDonals's menu on a per unit 4, 6, 10, 20 count boxed McNugget basis. With the increasing pressure, and consequently increasing negative unhealthy image they were garnering in the 80's they decided to also change up the content of McNuggets to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the percentage of fat cals in the total cals of plain McNuggets(no "special" dipping sauce). McDonalds achieved this by removing the chicken skin which accounted for a good percentage of the fat calories. Problem! The chicken skin was one of the ingredients that made McNuggets taste the way they tasted. To get the pre skin removed McNugget "flavor" back they paid a large multi national a hefty sum to design a flavor in a laboratory that approximated the flavor of the removed chicken skin. McDonalds also was required pay this hefty fee for the chicken skin "flavor" recipe EVERY YEAR on an ever increasing exponential sliding scale. Fast forward a few yrs. The UNHEATHY IMAGE and BAD PRESS subsides after a couple decades of "IMAGE CONTROL." McDonalds decides to STOP paying the hefty fees for the rights to the chicken skin "flavor" recipe. What do they replace the flovoring with? They QUIETLY WITH NO FANFARE put the chicken skin back into the McNuggets. Fat content for the McDuggets significamtly increases. McDonalds alerts NO PRESS. MAKES NO PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS like they did when they wanted to garner a "healthier" IMAGE. Currently, McNuggets gest around 57 % of their TOTAL cals from fat - NOT "GOOD" fats either. McDonalds own nutritional figures depict the HIGH FAT, HIGH SATURATED FAT, HIGH SODIM, lack of fiber, etc llevels of McNuggets. That's NOT pseudoscience! AND, let's not forget who McNuggets is highly marketed to - CHILDREN - who don't know any better. They are expecting adults and parents to feed them highly bnutritious and healthy food! I FIND IT HIGHLY OFFENSIVE AND MASSIVELY IRRESPNSIBLE TO CASUALLY AND COMPLACENTLY EXCUSE THIS TYPE OF CORPORATE BEHAVIOR FROM MC DONALDS PARTICULARLY AS OUR CHILDREM"S HEALTH IS AT STAKE. FAMILIES, INCLUDIING PARENTS, ARE BASICALLY CLUELESS THAT THEY ARE SERVING THIS FATTY CRAP TO THEIR LITTLE CHILDREN!

hikerboy57
12-09-2013, 21:50
ive been paying attention dogwood.its also smart marketing, and necessary to compete against chains promoting "healthier" meal choices.can you get the same dietary information from stuff you buy/eat at the local diner?or at a fine french bistro? ironically , the fast food chains publicly post their nutritional information where everyone can see it, and noone cares.they stare at it while their adding the mcparfait to their meal.
i eat at mcdonalds because its convenient for me, and its consistent. i know what to expect, and yes, i know what im eating.
i dont care. it tastes great.

T.S.Kobzol
12-09-2013, 22:02
Good stuff Dogwood.

off-pher
12-09-2013, 22:49
Why McDonalds because the sewage pant was CLOSED

johnnybgood
12-09-2013, 22:58
McDonalds as is other fast food establishments are aware that their customers in large part come there wanting cheap , quick to fix food that fills them up while tasting great . The obesity rate in this country can be attributed to the poor eating habits of a generation that saw slick advertising and catchy jingles like "you need a break today" become mainstream hype.
The best food for nutrition is hardly cheap, save the salads . It is a widely known fact that before fast food was popular and eating sensible, plus increased physicsl activity was the culture ,* our society was much fitter and less prone to diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. This cannot be disputed . Our culture changed and we changed with it.

Astro
12-09-2013, 23:37
ive been paying attention dogwood.its also smart marketing, and necessary to compete against chains promoting "healthier" meal choices.can you get the same dietary information from stuff you buy/eat at the local diner?or at a fine french bistro? ironically , the fast food chains publicly post their nutritional information where everyone can see it, and noone cares.they stare at it while their adding the mcparfait to their meal.
i eat at mcdonalds because its convenient for me, and its consistent. i know what to expect, and yes, i know what im eating.
i dont care. it tastes great.

HB, this reminds me of the question of who has better quality McDonald's or a French Restaurant? Considering the definition of "conformance to requirements", then McDonald's is the correct answer, because you always know what you are going to get. Where as with the French Restaurant there is no telling, may be the best meal you ever had, or the absolute worst.

Astro
12-09-2013, 23:39
I have only one issue with the Big Mac, I normally have them when driving the interstate, go thru the drive thru and continue driving, only problem is that 1/2 of the stuff on the meat ends up in my lap and the other 1/2 on the steering wheel.

Try a Quarter Pounder instead.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 10:35
McDonalds as is other fast food establishments are aware that their customers in large part come there wanting cheap , quick to fix food that fills them up while tasting great . The obesity rate in this country can be attributed to the poor eating habits of a generation that saw slick advertising and catchy jingles like "you need a break today" become mainstream hype.
The best food for nutrition is hardly cheap, save the salads . It is a widely known fact that before fast food was popular and eating sensible, plus increased physicsl activity was the culture ,* our society was much fitter and less prone to diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. This cannot be disputed . Our culture changed and we changed with it.

I believe the greater contributor is that at this time too many asses became permanently attached to a couch. The only body part kids now get is thier thumbs...and the fat you pack on early in life tends to stick with you forever....I dont believe in diets, just eat with a little common sense. Being fat is now considered a disability, they park in handicap spaces and ride the electric carts at Walmart.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 10:37
"...mcdonalds as well as other fast food joints have added salads as well as a number of "healthier"choices because of peoples changing dietary trends"

You seem to have not been closely following developments in the past 30 yrs in the fast food industry. McDonalds DID NOT simply VOLUNTARILY change its menu in response to dietary trends! It MOST DEFINITELY WAS NOT JUST DIETARY TRENDS which PRESSURED those in the fast food industry, such as MCdonalds, to start offering supposedly healthier or lower fat menu options! In the 80's MANY in the fast food industry, including McDonalds, were being publically scrutinized(TV, Newspapers, magazines, FDA, child welfare groups, etc), even by several other Gov't entities, for their UNHEALTHY PRODUCTS including their UNHEALTHY NUTRIONALLY POOR INGREDIENTS in those products! - HIGH fat levels, HIGH sodium levels, HIGH cholesterol levels, hydrogenated oils, lack of fiber, added questionable ingredfients, lack of "living" foods, etc - AND the targeted marketing of their products, like McDruggets, specifically to children. AND, that is still happening to some extent today!

Fast food companies, LIKE Mc Donalds, were having their IMAGES tarnished. The IMAGE of their products were being affected. They had tp protect THEIR IMAGE. So, with much public fanfare, including much advertising and marketing(including a sizable $$$ input), Mcdonalds introduced salads, some lower fat menu options(Veggie/no meat patties, for example), publically listed ingredients and some nutitional information(they still fudge their ingredients every chance they get!), and the economica(VALUE!) DOLLAR MENU(marketing to the poor, low income, and those on a tight budget!) - ALWAYS in ways that benefit THEIR IMAGE. McDonalds itself spent 100's of millions to repair and remodel it's UNHEALTHY IMAGE in the last two decades to insure profitts. YOU KNOW WHAT? They succeeded to a large extent. McDonalds, and others in the fast food industry, weathered the worst of the bad press. Some companies made definte nutritional improvements in the quality of their products and policies. But, remeber they were PRESSURED to do this!

And, when the bad press and focus sufficiently eased and shifted from the UNHEALTHINESS of MCDONALDS products what did they do? They went back to some, but not all, of their old unhealthy all in the name of IMAGE and PROFIT methods AND THEY DIDN"T CARE ABOUT A SEGMENT OF THEIR MARKET WHO WOULD SUFFER - CHILDREN! And, they do it over and over today!

EXAMPLE. Here's what McDonalds will NOT tell you! You have to know the longer term nutritional content and marketing that went along with McNugget history, an extremly profitable and most recognized McDonalds menu product, again, highly marketed to children. I'm fairly confident McNuggets may very well have taken over as the most sold single item on the entire McDonals's menu on a per unit 4, 6, 10, 20 count boxed McNugget basis. With the increasing pressure, and consequently increasing negative unhealthy image they were garnering in the 80's they decided to also change up the content of McNuggets to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the percentage of fat cals in the total cals of plain McNuggets(no "special" dipping sauce). McDonalds achieved this by removing the chicken skin which accounted for a good percentage of the fat calories. Problem! The chicken skin was one of the ingredients that made McNuggets taste the way they tasted. To get the pre skin removed McNugget "flavor" back they paid a large multi national a hefty sum to design a flavor in a laboratory that approximated the flavor of the removed chicken skin. McDonalds also was required pay this hefty fee for the chicken skin "flavor" recipe EVERY YEAR on an ever increasing exponential sliding scale. Fast forward a few yrs. The UNHEATHY IMAGE and BAD PRESS subsides after a couple decades of "IMAGE CONTROL." McDonalds decides to STOP paying the hefty fees for the rights to the chicken skin "flavor" recipe. What do they replace the flovoring with? They QUIETLY WITH NO FANFARE put the chicken skin back into the McNuggets. Fat content for the McDuggets significamtly increases. McDonalds alerts NO PRESS. MAKES NO PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS like they did when they wanted to garner a "healthier" IMAGE. Currently, McNuggets gest around 57 % of their TOTAL cals from fat - NOT "GOOD" fats either. McDonalds own nutritional figures depict the HIGH FAT, HIGH SATURATED FAT, HIGH SODIM, lack of fiber, etc llevels of McNuggets. That's NOT pseudoscience! AND, let's not forget who McNuggets is highly marketed to - CHILDREN - who don't know any better. They are expecting adults and parents to feed them highly bnutritious and healthy food! I FIND IT HIGHLY OFFENSIVE AND MASSIVELY IRRESPNSIBLE TO CASUALLY AND COMPLACENTLY EXCUSE THIS TYPE OF CORPORATE BEHAVIOR FROM MC DONALDS PARTICULARLY AS OUR CHILDREM"S HEALTH IS AT STAKE. FAMILIES, INCLUDIING PARENTS, ARE BASICALLY CLUELESS THAT THEY ARE SERVING THIS FATTY CRAP TO THEIR LITTLE CHILDREN!

Is there a Cliff Note version?

Drybones
12-10-2013, 10:42
yes ,there are a few corporations that do indeed get it right.

My definition of getting it right is giving the customer what he wants...McD has sold millions, probably billions, of those Big Macs, they must have a few happy customers. Ain't it great having so many people telling us what to eat, drink, etc, etc, etc.....I'm old enough to make my own choice thank you.

Mags
12-10-2013, 11:07
Just as pertinent to this thread as the hijacking that has been done :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSt8K8VP6k

Th question is what do French thru-hikers call the quarter pounders in trail towns????

T.S.Kobzol
12-10-2013, 11:42
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-illuminated/201108/7-things-mcdonald-s-knows-about-your-brain

Food for thought

My definition of getting it right is giving the customer what he wants...McD has sold millions, probably billions, of those Big Macs, they must have a few happy customers. Ain't it great having so many people telling us what to eat, drink, etc, etc, etc.....I'm old enough to make my own choice thank you.

hikerboy57
12-10-2013, 11:44
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-illuminated/201108/7-things-mcdonald-s-knows-about-your-brain

Food for thoughti think that was what dogwood was aiming for

T.S.Kobzol
12-10-2013, 11:49
yeah. I was replying to Drybones. We may think we are making our own choices all of the time but the reality may be a little bit mixed. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.

hikerboy57
12-10-2013, 11:52
yeah. I was replying to Drybones. We may think we are making our own choices all of the time but the reality may be a little bit mixed. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.
its a very pertinent point. market research is a rather scary phenomena

T.S.Kobzol
12-10-2013, 11:56
yes. actually it one of the few things that freaks me out. Everytime I see surveys and results of scientific studies that figure out our brain functions and decisions I cringe. I really don't want all of this to be figured out. It puts new generations in total disadvantage as they are facing years of smart scientific results used against them before they can even start googling it.

susiecruise
12-10-2013, 12:36
Hmmmmmm... susiecruise?

I'm just asking. I hear a lot of talk about the importance of eating right on the trail and then when I pick up hikers and take them to town they want the less healthy alternative. We like highly processed food because it is quick, easy, and salty satisfying. If I had my choice between a whopper jr and homemade chicken soup and salad and fresh bread, I KNOW I will feel much better after eating the latter even though I may not abide.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 13:36
All this talk about burgers has made me hungry...I'm going to go have me a couple of greasy cheeseburgers right now...and a couple of beers to wash them down, not light ones either.....take that you food nazis!

susiecruise
12-10-2013, 13:44
I'm just asking. I hear a lot of talk about the importance of eating right on the trail and then when I pick up hikers and take them to town they want the less healthy alternative. We like highly processed food because it is quick, easy, and salty satisfying. If I had my choice between a whopper jr and homemade chicken soup and salad and fresh bread, I KNOW I will feel much better after eating the latter even though I may not abide.

Besides, I thought it was a good question that would get a wide variety of responses

Drybones
12-10-2013, 14:20
All this talk about burgers has made me hungry...I'm going to go have me a couple of greasy cheeseburgers right now...and a couple of beers to wash them down, not light ones either.....take that you food nazis!

I feel much better now...had a couple of fruit cake slices also to finish it off.

T.S.Kobzol
12-10-2013, 15:43
:-) Comfort Food :-)

I feel much better now...had a couple of fruit cake slices also to finish it off.

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 16:25
Just thought of yet another reason for McDonalds... there aren't any In-and-Out Burger joints anywhere but California. (If there In-and-Out were around here, I'd drop my beloved McD's in a heartbeat, sorry....)

Mags
12-10-2013, 16:34
From why cheap food, to the nutritional quality of said food to a brewing religious debate.

I think someone won the internetzzz!

Just thought of yet another reason for McDonalds... there aren't any In-and-Out Burger joints anywhere but California. (If there In-and-Out were around here, I'd drop my beloved McD's in a heartbeat, sorry....)

My California ex-pat friends wax poetic about "in and out". From what I understand, it is almost a cult following. You may appreciate this link:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/03/the-in-n-out-survival-guide-we-ate-every-single-item-on-the-secret-menu.html

leaftye
12-10-2013, 16:36

That's one of the many reasons why the PCT is superior to the AT. ;)

Mags
12-10-2013, 16:41
That's one of the many reasons why the PCT is superior to the AT. ;)

Yeah, but the CDT has the best brew pubs! Even better burgers and BEER!

Coffee
12-10-2013, 16:45

In-N-Out rocks ... one of the (few) things I miss about living in California (the other being the mountains).

Farr Away
12-10-2013, 17:41
Please, no religious debate. We've had some back and forth on this thread and that's fine, but we're not going there. Right?

-FarrAway

Traffic Jam
12-10-2013, 19:18
I have a very short list of things I refuse to discuss with friends. They are religion and politics. I'm considering adding McDonalds to the list.

ChinMusic
12-10-2013, 20:06
I have a very short list of things I refuse to discuss with friends. They are religion and politics. I'm considering adding McDonalds to the list.

You forgot "Yogiing"............:D

Sarcasm the elf
12-10-2013, 21:10

The only thing about that post that offended me was the mention of light beer.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 21:23
The only thing about that post that offended me was the mention of light beer.

I remember trail magic left at one of the gaps, several cases of sodas, by the time I got there only diet was left...real hikers dont go lite.

Malto
12-10-2013, 21:35
You forgot "Yogiing"............:D

One day I was walking down the trail. I came to a road crossing and a religious group was just finishing up hunting. After emptying all their remaining rounds into an AT sign they started munching a bag of mcD burgers. I pulled off the ultimate yogi and scored 3 quarter pounders which I consumed in under a minute. Soon a couple ULers and a hobbling dog came strolling by, out of water, and bragged about hiking 35 miles a day. We sent them on their way without water even the dog. We saw they made it to the next shelter because their name was carved in the floor.

there, I think that covers them all.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 21:54
One day I was walking down the trail. I came to a road crossing and a religious group was just finishing up hunting. After emptying all their remaining rounds into an AT sign they started munching a bag of mcD burgers. I pulled off the ultimate yogi and scored 3 quarter pounders which I consumed in under a minute. Soon a couple ULers and a hobbling dog came strolling by, out of water, and bragged about hiking 35 miles a day. We sent them on their way without water even the dog. We saw they made it to the next shelter because their name was carved in the floor.

there, I think that covers them all.

You're one mean SOB.............I'd have given the dog some water.

Traffic Jam
12-10-2013, 21:55
[QUOTE=ChinMusic;1824352]You forgot "Yogiing"............:D[/QUOTE

Good one Chin! Made me laugh.

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 22:14
One more McDonalds story... not far into the hike, maybe 100 miles or so, at a shelter something like Wayah Bald, I was hiking with a couple of youngsters that stretch. We pulled into the shelter late afternoon, hungry and thirsty. After a snack and the inevitable food talk, these 20-somethings took the initiative and hiked all the way down to the nearest town, maybe 6 miles, bought a case of beer and a "case" of good old McDonalds burgers and schlepped it all the way (six miles uphill?) back to the shelter. WOW!!!!!! They were, of course, instant heroes. I had two burgers and two beers, not nearly enough of course, but my share. Thanks Quinn and Wyoming!

Sarcasm the elf
12-14-2013, 15:25
I saw this video earlier this week and while I can't say that I am convinced that their theory is true, they due make a rather compelling argument.

http://youtu.be/rDVf-00w5gk

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 20:05
Yeah, but the CDT has the best brew pubs! Even better burgers and BEER!

And one of the BEST steaks to order at a small bar in Lima MT! COLD beers on tap. And, they had a pool table! All had at Big Sky Country CDT thru-hiker/cowboy right prices

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 20:10
Durango CO bars after a WEBO CT thru-hike were chock full of delish micro brews on taps too.

The Food Co-op in Ashland OR on the PCT has some delish made to order food as well.

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 20:15
Back in the day when I was getting near my Micky Dees boycott, and what became the last straw, was finding a twisted up barbie pin(hair pin) that had been ground up into the meat like patty. Went to the cashier and she said no problem I'll give ya anoder Big Mac. I said %^$#! and threw it at the Menu Board.

colorado_rob
12-14-2013, 20:32
Back in the day when I was getting near my Micky Dees boycott, and what became the last straw, was finding a twisted up barbie pin(hair pin) that had been ground up into the meat like patty. Went to the cashier and she said no problem I'll give ya anoder Big Mac. I said %^$#! and threw it at the Menu Board.
Wow! Thatís almost, but not quite, not an unbelievable story.

Astro
12-14-2013, 21:13
I remember trail magic left at one of the gaps, several cases of sodas, by the time I got there only diet was left...real hikers dont go lite.

Drybones, for once I might disagree with you, or perhaps I am just not a "real hiker". :)
I drink diet coke normally, but naturally do without on the trail. Of course if I run into trail magic I will gladly take it whether it is Diet Coke, the real thing (Coke), Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or whatever. Just grateful for something different than just water.

bronconite
12-14-2013, 21:55
I saw this video earlier this week and while I can't say that I am convinced that their theory is true, they due make a rather compelling argument.

That is very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 22:11
Have had friends find a dead fly and a long black hair in their McDonalds Fries. Another found a long hair on their McDonalds burger. I found a housefly in a McDonalds coffee, w/ the lid on, that was served to me at a drive thru.

Can only imagine the insects(worms, grubs, flies, beetles, etc) in milled grains used in bread, rolls, bagels, bakery deserts etc. Have found dead slugs, snails, caterpillars, flies, and moths in produce from main stream grocery stores including a dead grub larva in a McDonald's salad. How about the blood and puss in cow's milk when the animals are automatically machine milked.

This stuff happens regularly and more so then companies would want us to know. AND, it's not just McDonalds.

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 23:27
STE, after watching that demonstrates again to me that the so called experts get it expertly incomplete more often than arriving at a full understanding. Notice I did not say wrong or right. I said incomplete.

That Youtube vid host(obviously selected for her good looks) had much good to say but said something that I believe wasn't true when she stated "No body knows what begins the process of damage on the artery wall causing inflammation where cholesterol starts to "stick" in mass and clogs occur. Actually, some of the interviewed doctors and Nutritionist mentioned one such factor - oxidation. Another related factor, almost for sure, involves diets high in sugar; one of the doctors in the vid mentioned that in contributing to cardiovascular disease. Arterial pressures, like where a arterial junctions occur("V" or "T" shaped junctions), is another possible problem area that the doctors mentioned. Two other, but not mentioned in that vid, potential contributing causes of excess cholesterol build up in arteries may be the scarification of artery walls due to lifestyles high in chlorine consumption and absorption AND consumption of Hydrogenated Oils(trans fats).

Interesting enough, when I asked my good friend's father a 3 rd generation German Master Baker and owner of one of the oldest bakeries in Chicago why he was using hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils in bakery products he told me despite his desire to continue using butter (lots of saturated fat) he was virtually forced by health proponents within his industry and by gov't regulators to switch to "healthier" margarines(Trans fats- hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils).

From several sources, Statin drugs(anti-cholesterol) drugs are supposedly the most profitable in the Pharmaceutical Industry. From what I understand they are largely prescribed for their anti-inflammatory effects.

It seems common sense to me instead of merely addressing inflammation which is the symptom of something larger let's start also addressing the cause of the inflammation in the first place. In this incidence if we examine and study the cause of the inflammation on the arterial walls isn't that a more effective and BETTER approach rather than continuing engaging in pro inflammatory habits? It would help us explain the results of what these people are saying in that video - namely that there are those with relatively low cholesterol levels who have heart disease(atherosclerosis) and those with relatively HIGH cholesterol levels who do not have heart disease(atherosclerosis).

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 23:32
Wow! That’s almost, but not quite, not an unbelievable story.

And, I didn't have the police called on me.

I lost a partial filling because of that twisted hair pin. Lost it later that evening after I had long gone down the road from the location of that McDonalds. At first I thought it was piece of grizzle or unground bone. Ever bite into a juicy burger and find a hard piece of bone or something in the burger? Yum Yum. I know many of you have.

Sarcasm the elf
12-14-2013, 23:43
STE, after watching that demonstrates again to me that the so called experts get it expertly incomplete more often than arriving at a full understanding. Notice I did not say wrong or right. I said incomplete.

That Youtube vid host(obviously selected for her good looks) had much good to say but said something that I believe wasn't true when she stated "No body knows what begins the process of damage on the artery wall causing inflammation where cholesterol starts to "stick" in mass and clogs occur. Actually, some of the interviewed doctors and Nutritionist mentioned one such factor - oxidation. Another related factor, almost for sure, involves diets high in sugar; one of the doctors in the vid mentioned that in contributing to cardiovascular disease. Arterial pressures, like where a arterial junctions occur("V" or "T" shaped junctions), is another possible problem area that the doctors mentioned. Two other, but not mentioned in that vid, potential contributing causes of excess cholesterol build up in arteries may be the scarification of artery walls due to lifestyles high in chlorine consumption and absorption AND consumption of Hydrogenated Oils(trans fats).

Interesting enough, when I asked my good friend's father a 3 rd generation German Master Baker and owner of one of the oldest bakeries in Chicago why he was using hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils in bakery products he told me despite his desire to continue using butter (lots of saturated fat) he was virtually forced by health proponents within his industry and by gov't regulators to switch to "healthier" margarines(Trans fats- hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils).

From several sources, Statin drugs(anti-cholesterol) drugs are supposedly the most profitable in the Pharmaceutical Industry. From what I understand they are largely prescribed for their anti-inflammatory effects.

It seems common sense to me instead of merely addressing inflammation which is the symptom of something larger let's start also addressing the cause of the inflammation in the first place. In this incidence if we examine and study the cause of the inflammation on the arterial walls isn't that a more effective and BETTER approach rather than continuing engaging in pro inflammatory habits? It would help us explain the results of what these people are saying in that video - namely that there are those with relatively low cholesterol levels who have heart disease(atherosclerosis) and those with relatively HIGH cholesterol levels who do not have heart disease(atherosclerosis).

Many good points Doogwood. Another factor which they touched upon but did not discuss in detail was the roll of high blood pressure in causing "stress" on the arteries which created inflammation. I wish they expanded further on the roll blood pressure and exercise play in the inflammation theory.

It seems that far too many health experts, including those in the video I posted, want to dig through the data on diet while glossing over the other facets of a person's lifestyle that causes hear disease. From everything I have read over my lifetime, the causes if heart disease are a combination of diet, excercise, obesity, smoking, time spent sitting, stress/anxiety and average amount of sleep a person gets. I think it is a problem that is too complex to call for an easy answer.

Dogwood
12-14-2013, 23:49
That's EXACTLY what I get STE. Even highly educated folks like doctors get into playing this cholesterol/saturated fat is wrong/right either or choice. They sometimes forget even their own words, like many factors can play roles in cardiovascular disease. These folks, and certainly the public, aren't seeing or aren't telling the complete picture.

Sarcasm the elf
12-14-2013, 23:53
Just a couple more bits of highly informative thread drift:

Bad sleeping 'doubles heart risk'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7009927.stm
Researchers say both too much and too little sleep is linked to a doubled risk of fatal cardiovascular disease.
Teams from the University of Warwick and University College London examined sleep patterns and death rates over two decades among 10,308 civil servants.

They found a doubled risk among those who cut their sleeping from seven to five hours a night compared to those who stuck to seven hours a night.

But the risk was similar for those who increased to at least eight hours.

ď Our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health Ē
Professor Francesco Cappuccio
University of Warwick
The research, to be presented to the British Sleep Society, was based on data taken in 1985-88 and on follow up information collected in 1992-93.

The researchers took into account other possible factors such age, sex, marital status, employment grade, smoking status and physical activity. Once they had adjusted for those factors they were able to isolate the effect that changes in sleep patterns over five years had on mortality rates 11-17 years later.

Those who cut their sleeping from seven to five hours a night had twice the risk of a fatal cardiovascular problem of those who stuck to the recommended seven hours a night - and a 1.7 increased risk of death from all causes.

Disturbed sleep common

Researcher Professor Francesco Cappuccio said: "Fewer hours sleep and greater levels of sleep disturbance have become widespread in industrialised societies.

"This change, largely the result of sleep curtailment to create more time for leisure and shift-work, has meant that reports of fatigue, tiredness and excessive daytime sleepiness are more common than a few decades ago.
"Sleep represents the daily process of physiological restitution and recovery, and lack of sleep has far-reaching effects."

Curiously, the researchers also found that those individuals who increased their sleep to eight hours or more a night were more than twice as likely to die during the period of the study as those who had not changed their habit.

Professor Cappuccio said lack of sleep had been linked to an increased risk of weight gain, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. However, he said the link between too much sleep and poor health was less clear, although he suggested that staying in bed for prolonged periods could be a sign of depression, or, in some cases, cancer-related fatigue.

"Our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health and a sustained reduction may predispose to ill-health."

Individual need

Dr Neil Stanley, a sleep expert from Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, said while public health messages focused on diet and exercise, people were given very little information about the need to get proper amounts of sleep.

"This study is yet more evidence of the importance of getting sleep - and the right amount of sleep for you," he said. "Sleep need is like height or shoe size: we all have an individual one, and if we sleep less or more than that then there are consequences to pay."

Sitting for long periods 'is bad for your health'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19910888

Sitting for long periods increases the risk of diabetes, heart disease and death, researchers suggest.
The scientists from Leicester and Loughborough Universities say harm is done even if people also exercise.
The study, published in Diabetologia, analysed 18 existing studies involving almost 800,000 people.
Diabetes UK said anyone who spent a lot of time sitting or lying down would "obviously benefit" from moving more.
The researchers say the opportunities for sedentary behaviour in modern society such as watching TV, sitting in a car or using a computer are "ubiquitous".
Of course, in modern society many people head to the gym for a burst of exercise to redress the balance.
But the research team, led by Dr Emma Wilmot from the Diabetes Group at the University of Leicester, says while going to the gym or pool after work is better than heading straight for the sofa, spending a long time sitting down remains bad for you.
Healthy lifestyle?
Each of the studies they assessed used different measures - for example more or less than 14 hours a week watching TV, or self-reported sitting time of less than three hours a day to more than eight.
The researchers say this means it is not possible to give an absolute limit for how much sedentary time is bad for you.
But Dr Emma Wilmot, who led the study, said it was clear that those who sat the most had a higher risk of diabetes, heart disease and death than those who sat the least.
She said: "If a worker sits at their desk all day then goes to the gym, while their colleague heads home to watch TV, then the gym-goer will have better health outcomes.
"But there is still a health risk because of the amount of sitting they do.
"Comparatively, the risk for a waiter who is on their feet all day is going to be a lot lower."
She added: "People convince themselves they are living a healthy lifestyle, doing their 30 minutes of exercise a day.
"But they need to think about the other 23.5 hours."
'Easy change'
The strongest associations in the analysis were between prolonged sitting and diabetes.
There is evidence that being sedentary negatively affects glucose levels and increases insulin resistance - but scientists do not yet know how.
Dr Wilmot said the study's message could help those at high risk of diabetes, such as obese people or those of South Asian ethnic origin, because it was an easy lifestyle change to make.
Prof Stuart Biddle, of Loughborough University, who also worked on the study, said: "There are many ways we can reduce our sitting time, such as breaking up long periods at the computer at work by placing our laptop on a filing cabinet.
"We can have standing meetings, we can walk during the lunch break, and we can look to reduce TV viewing in the evenings by seeking out less sedentary behaviours."
Dr Matthew Hobbs, head of research at Diabetes UK, said people should not be discouraged from exercising.
He added: "What is clear is that anyone who spends lots of time sitting or lying down would benefit from replacing some of that time by standing or walking.
Aside from any direct effect reducing the amount of time you spend sitting down may have, getting more physical activity is a great way of helping maintain a healthy weight, which is the best way of minimising your risk of Type 2 diabetes."

4eyedbuzzard
12-15-2013, 00:01
Have had friends find a dead fly and a long black hair in their McDonalds Fries. Another found a long hair on their McDonalds burger. I found a housefly in a McDonalds coffee, w/ the lid on, that was served to me at a drive thru.

Can only imagine the insects(worms, grubs, flies, beetles, etc) in milled grains used in bread, rolls, bagels, bakery deserts etc. Have found dead slugs, snails, caterpillars, flies, and moths in produce from main stream grocery stores including a dead grub larva in a McDonald's salad. How about the blood and puss in cow's milk when the animals are automatically machine milked.

This stuff happens regularly and more so then companies would want us to know. AND, it's not just McDonalds.
Yeah, we share the planet with all of the critters you mentioned, and they outnumber us a million to one or more, so they are in our food. If you pick your own veggies from your own "organic" garden you're still going to get insects and such in your food. Not to worry - they're all edible (and very nutritious I might add).

tiptoe
12-15-2013, 12:52
Thanks for posting the video link, Sarcasm the Elf. I found part 2 even more interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKaM330xzg

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2013, 16:31
OK, this ain't a McDonald's story, but it is a Taco Bell story and I know many of you'll see them as basically the same thing; and you may be correct...

I really hit it hard last week, starting on Monday all the way into Sunday. Ton of weightlifting, cycling and running...pretty good week, but really tired torwards the end. It was a good week, but the only problem is that by Sunday night I had that familar feeling (which I always try and avoid) of overtraining, i.e. the overall weak feeing through out my body and the foggy-head feeling.

I was hoping I'd be feeling better by Monday (yesterday), but I wasn't and I my overexertion from last week was evident in my HR while cycling, at least 20 points higher than normal, so I slogged thru the day got home and didn't feel like cooking at all, but I was hungry.

Long story, short...I went to Taco Bell and got a dozen hard taco supremes and a large steak burrito; I didn't expect to eat all the tacos, but before I knew it they were all gone and then I finished off the burrito. And I was still hungry, but I didn't eat anymore, but I kind of had the Hiker's Appetite feeling -- you know looking around for food despite just eating. It wasn't a full-blown Hiker's Appetite, but it's the closest I've experienced one off the trail.

Here's the amazing thing...Once I was finished it was as if a switch was flipped back on; I was totally energized and not a bit of the sluggish feeling I had previously -- it was that fast. And today when I got up I was still feeling great and my HR was back to normal on the bike and during my run.

What the hell was in them tacos :confused:

:D

Mrs Baggins
12-31-2013, 16:50
It is familiarity. We've eaten in McD's in Paris, Brussels, Rome, Sydney, Auckland, Scotland, Germany, Canada and places I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.....not because we were in any way afraid of the local food but usually because it was 1) cheaper at a time we were on a tight budget and 2) easy when we were exhausted from traveling and just wanted to eat something, anything. In Paris they serve roast chicken and red wine. In Germany they serve beer. In Rome they serve a cappuccino every bit as good as any Roman cafe and for a fraction of the price as well as fresh brioche. McDs in other countries have "Euro Cafes" in them - coffee bars (real espresso machines, etc) and fresh local pastries. We've road tripped from Maryland to Alaska and back in 2007 and we had countless McDs breakfasts and coffees. With kids in the car over the years we were always scanning for the arches. Any time I'm on a long drive alone I still watch the highway signs for a McDs. Quick, safe, clean bathrooms, easy meal.

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 17:56
Yep on all three of my thru's when i hit town all i wanted to do was go to McDonalds manly cause there cheap, and loaded with calories, Salt and then i would go to Burger king, Double Whoppers are Amazing, unless i was at the Doyle then i gorged myself on some real Hamburgers.

Mags
12-31-2013, 18:28
re: Fast Food bathrooms

Reminds me of quote from Dayton Duncan in his book Out West (traces Lewis and Clark's route while driving a VW camper van. Excellent read!)

"Road Rule 4: Never eat at a nationally franchised restaurant; there's no sense of adventure, no diversity, no risk involved in patronizing them. They're uniformly bland.
First Corollary: You can stop at nationally franchised restaurants to use their restrooms; there's no sense of adventure, no diversity, no risk involved in using them. They're uniformly clean."

rocketsocks
12-31-2013, 18:44
OK, this ain't a McDonald's story, but it is a Taco Bell story and I know many of you'll see them as basically the same thing; and you may be correct...

I really hit it hard last week, starting on Monday all the way into Sunday. Ton of weightlifting, cycling and running...pretty good week, but really tired torwards the end. It was a good week, but the only problem is that by Sunday night I had that familar feeling (which I always try and avoid) of overtraining, i.e. the overall weak feeing through out my body and the foggy-head feeling.

I was hoping I'd be feeling better by Monday (yesterday), but I wasn't and I my overexertion from last week was evident in my HR while cycling, at least 20 points higher than normal, so I slogged thru the day got home and didn't feel like cooking at all, but I was hungry.

Long story, short...I went to Taco Bell and got a dozen hard taco supremes and a large steak burrito; I didn't expect to eat all the tacos, but before I knew it they were all gone and then I finished off the burrito. And I was still hungry, but I didn't eat anymore, but I kind of had the Hiker's Appetite feeling -- you know looking around for food despite just eating. It wasn't a full-blown Hiker's Appetite, but it's the closest I've experienced one off the trail.

Here's the amazing thing...Once I was finished it was as if a switch was flipped back on; I was totally energized and not a bit of the sluggish feeling I had previously -- it was that fast. And today when I got up I was still feeling great and my HR was back to normal on the bike and during my run.

Salts...............;)

Tuckahoe
12-31-2013, 19:49
re: Fast Food bathrooms

First Corollary: You can stop at nationally franchised restaurants to use their restrooms; there's no sense of adventure, no diversity, no risk involved in using them. They're uniformly clean."

I call shenanigans!!!

To say that fast food bathrooms are uniformly clean is a straight up lie, and an idication that one has never actually been in one.

Mags
12-31-2013, 20:30
I call shenanigans!!!

To say that fast food bathrooms are uniformly clean is a straight up lie, and an idication that one has never actually been in one.

My experiences, and the poster above, have been different. :)

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 20:53

Love is blind. :D I will not do all the research for you but you can begin by going to Micky Dees own website and look at just the ingredients they list in their various products. Look at the trans fats, percentages of salt according to the RDA standards, look at the HIGH % of fat cals in the total calories, look at the lack of fiber, look at the sugar content especially corn syrup/corn syrup solids and high fructose corn syrup contents. AND, then consider what Sarcasm the Elf said in his Post # 86. McDonalds is able to legally hide ingredients they think may damage their image. You asked if Micky Dees food contributes to the obesity epidemic in this country. Look at the nutritional figures and the answer is obvious - YES!

Not everyone that climbs to summits and hikes long distances is regularly eating at your beloved Mcdonalds. LOOK around at the McDonalds customers. Do you observe a clientel that looks alert, physically fit, healthy, highly educated, financially wealthy, well behaved(have good manners), etc?

Now don't get angry CR. I may ask for a shuttle ride to the TH in CO next yr. Of course, you would probably make a pt of stopping at Mick Dees on the way to dropping me off. :D

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 21:26

I'm sure Tim Hortons Coffee in Buffalo NY has crack in it. After I drank a 20 oz serving I was vibrating so fast I may have become invisible.

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2013, 23:06
5700+ views on Fast Food cravings....

Ya all need to hike more...http://www.picgifs.com/bird-graphics/bird-graphics/owls/bird-graphics-owls-494808.gif

Furlough
01-01-2014, 10:36
Also known as Coors Light.

Or Budweiser, any variety.

Traffic Jam
01-01-2014, 11:00
My new hiking song;

This is the thread that never ends.
It goes on and on my friend.
Susie started wondering just why we love that junk.
She has to go there often with smelly hikers in the trunk.

This is the thread that never ends.
It goes on and on my friend...

hikerboy57
01-07-2014, 09:17
teacher loses 37 lbs eating nothing but mcdonalds for 90 days:http://www.latimes.com/nation/shareitnow/la-sh-mcdonalds-diet-20140106,0,7082569.story#axzz2piapLTx6

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 16:03
teacher loses 37 lbs eating nothing but mcdonalds for 90 days:http://www.latimes.com/nation/shareitnow/la-sh-mcdonalds-diet-20140106,0,7082569.story#axzz2piapLTx6

Great, why didn't anyone high on Micky Dees mention Mickey Dees as the healthiest thing one can do on Pedaling Fool's 'Healthiest Thing One can do Thread?'

hikerboy57
01-07-2014, 16:05
Great, why didn't anyone high on Micky Dees mention Mickey Dees as the healthiest thing one can do on Pedaling Fool's 'Healthiest Thing One can do Thread?'
havent got to it yet:)

Pedaling Fool
01-31-2014, 11:19
Mc D's ain't all that bad, comparatively speaking.... http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/most-fattening-restaurant-food-39-not-mcdonald-39-222700420.html

aficion
01-31-2014, 11:42
Micky D's is cheap, filling, predictable, and has real porcelain facilities with running water, unlike the trail, which is none of the above.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-31-2014, 14:22
Cheap food, free wifi. Beware of big city Mcds they are bum hang outs with panhandlers and druggies. In Pittsburgh twice employees were caught selling prescription drugs and heroin. At the Liberty Avenue Mcdonalds they had a police officer posted for a while to try to keep the druggies from dealing. I heard that in some big city Canadian Mcds they have sharps cannisters in the bathrooms so the junkies can safely dispose of there bloody needles. I will still eat at Mcds but avoid the downtown Pittsburgh ones, the panhandlers bothered me there a few times.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-02-2014, 10:04
Sharps are for diabetics not junkies. It makes sense given their customers are fat and likely Type 2 and shooting insulin.

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 10:11
I boycott ALL chain restaurants. GAG = McDonalds. Every trail town with a McD has a better Mom & Pop place. Also if I want a burger I also want a beer. When McD starts selling beer, let me know.

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2014, 10:32
I boycott ALL chain restaurants. GAG = McDonalds. Every trail town with a McD has a better Mom & Pop place. Also if I want a burger I also want a beer. When McD starts selling beer, let me know.

McDonalds in Italy does well beer, sadly the beer was terrible, predictably it was the sort of quality that you would expect to find being served with McNuggets and Fillet-of-fish. :eek:

Mags
02-02-2014, 11:57
Italian beer is terrible to begin with. :)

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 12:01

The is a reason your local pub has no Italian beer on tap.
It's the same no one says "let's go out for Canadian food"

Mags
02-02-2014, 12:12
The is a reason your local pub has no Italian beer on tap.
It's the same no one says "let's go out for Canadian food"

French-Canadian food OTOH is rather good. mmmm.. Poutine! Tourtierre! Yum Yum.

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 12:17
French-Canadian food OTOH is rather good. mmmm.. Poutine! Tourtierre! Yum Yum.

You must be joking. My mother was Quebecois. My father Italian but born in USA, Poutine and Italian Beer deserve each other

Mags
02-02-2014, 12:20
You must be joking. My mother was Quebecois. My father Italian but born in USA, Poutine and Italian Beer deserve each other

Poutine after cold, blustery day of backcountry skiing is THE BOMB. Simply awesome! And tourtiere is also a great winter dish. No joking. Add some Brussel sprouts tossed in garlic, lemon and butter and you have an awesome winter meal. Heck, I made it last Christmas at a backcountry hut. :)

bamboo bob
02-02-2014, 12:49
Poutine after cold, blustery day of backcountry skiing is THE BOMB. Simply awesome! And tourtiere is also a great winter dish. No joking. Add some Brussel sprouts tossed in garlic, lemon and butter and you have an awesome winter meal. Heck, I made it last Christmas at a backcountry hut. :)

This is where I usually like to say "I'll keep an open mind" I'll shut up.

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:02
it's the only place I know of that makes a sandwich out of pancakes

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:04
PS Poutine is amazing

Dogwood
02-02-2014, 13:11

So are all the Asian beers I've drunk, Chinese particularly, disregarding any typical anti Chinese U.S. sentiment. What say you Beer Meister?

DocMahns
02-02-2014, 13:12
So are all the Asian beers I've drunk, Chinese particularly, disregarding any typical anti Chinese U.S. sentiment. What say you Beer Meister?

I know Chinese liquor is horrible, I haven't had their beer yet though...

ChuckT
02-02-2014, 19:43
If I'm by myself I'll take a Mom & Pop over a chain store anytime.
Sometimes a good decision sometimes not. I think the quality of restaurant food in general is less than we should pay for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

WILLIAM HAYES
02-03-2014, 19:54
dont eat at mickey d's seldom eat hamburgers but i am telling you i thought i had died and gone to heaven when i ate the hambuger at whitehouse landing

Mags
02-03-2014, 20:31
re: Asian beer

Most Asian beer is basically American Adjunct Lager in spirit if not an actual lager. Not surprising as, much like America, putting in other types of grain (corn and rice in the US case, mainly rice in the Asian case) makes for a less expensive beer and making use of abundant local ingredients. Adjunct beer is not necessarily bad, but it is the epitome of mass produced, tasteless beer for better or worse.

Both the AAL and the Asian beers have Central European roots. For reasons of culture, economy and mass production, both beers have been altered quite a bit from the German or Central European origins. A little adjunct in the original, A LOT of adjunct in their Asian and American copies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lager
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingtao_Brewery

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-03-2014, 20:40

Always cracks me up when I hear Americans complaining about the quality of beer in other countries ! :)

It is very sad as an Australian to see that the most common Aussie beer exported is Fosters :( (can o' swill)
.........must be some rule that says you have to export the worst beer the country has to offer.........the first US beer that was commonly available here was Budweiser !!!!!!

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-03-2014, 20:48
Fosters. It's Australian for beeear

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-04-2014, 06:09
Love it.... You got the pronunciation just right........ Now if you can just pronounce the word 'squirrel' with 2 syllables, you will virtually be an Aussie!

fins1838
02-04-2014, 09:17
McDonalds Sucks. I'd walk 10 extra miles before eating at one.

mak1277
02-04-2014, 11:24
218 posts in this thread and while I didn't read every single one in detail, I don't think there was any mention of McD's fries, which are simply dominant.

I have no problem admitting that I effing love McD's. It's not as good as in-and-out, or 5 guys, but I gladly eat McD's quite often.

The only other thing worth commenting on in this thread is the beer commentary. It doesn't take much skill to overload a beer with hops and call it "pale ale". The beer trend in America right now is downright disappointing. I, for one, will take a Pieroni or Moretti over a locally-brewed, over-hopped beer any day of the week, thank you very much.

Astro
02-04-2014, 11:50

Enjoy the walk. :)
As for me I will enjoy the dependable (and non-trail) food, WiFi, and rest my legs.

Tuckahoe
02-04-2014, 11:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I do love the insistence of so many folks that they'd never go to McDonald's. It's like playing with yourself, you either do it or lie about doing it.

susiecruise
02-04-2014, 15:44

So what I now understand, since I have never through hiked, is that McD's is a safe bet cuz it's cheap, predictable, has a decent bathroom,and you don't have to worry about being dirty and stinky. Still, I am amazed at the strong hold McD's has on many to most hiker's food cravings. Still, I will always offer other suggestions ( considering price and hospitality) when driving hikers to town. And still, I will take them wherever they want even if it's Mcd's, out of the way

Drybones
02-04-2014, 16:30

Two weeks on the trail and you'd eat the north end of a south bound skunk and call it a Big Mac. I became a fan of many things I didn't like after I got hungry enough.

notabear13
02-15-2014, 13:08

But if you go to Chick-fil-a, you will get far fewer calories per dollar (if they are even open (I'm convinced this never happens)). For $7 at Chick-fil-a, you get a sandwich and some fries. Maybe 2 sandwiches. At McD's, you get 6 sandwiches. There's a reason Little Debbie is the patron saint of resupplies.

But, for the record, I don't think I ever ate at McD's on my thru. Stuff gives me a headache and a fever every time I eat it.

susiecruise
02-18-2014, 12:57
So what I now understand, since I have never through hiked, is that McD's is a safe bet cuz it's cheap, predictable, has a decent bathroom,and you don't have to worry about being dirty and stinky. Still, I am amazed at the strong hold McD's has on many to most hiker's food cravings. Still, I will always offer other suggestions ( considering price and hospitality) when driving hikers to town. And still, I will take them wherever they want even if it's Mcd's, out of the way

I think we've gleaned this topic well enough. Thanks to all who contributed and endured

sjones503
04-01-2014, 16:35

Anything you can leave on the counter for days and it still looks edible, can be packed for a later meal, hours or days, or kill you along the way!

likeahike
04-01-2014, 19:41
Back in high school, had friend who worked at McDs - we all used to go there just to pester him (and have some fries). After graduation he was promoted to manager while we all went off to college to insure our success in life. Few year later, he was promoted to regional manager or something - poor guy, he had reached the top - dead ended at 21. Today at 33, he owns 5 McDs and is now building his 6th.

BTW, I still like the fries.

Likeapuma
04-01-2014, 22:47
Few year later, he was promoted to regional manager or something - poor guy, he had reached the top - dead ended at 21. Today at 33, he owns 5 McDs and is now building his 6th.

I too know a few people who started as part timers and went to the top while others were still switching college majors. Can't say many positive things about McD's, but they seem to take care of employees that stick around.

6 McD's franchises... Will never have to work again!

cheetahgeek
05-17-2014, 21:39
I don't eat fast food so McDonalds was not a craving I had. However, those little BK cinnamon rolls - couldn't get enough of them.

Pedaling Fool
07-26-2014, 09:51
Chris Horner had a Big Mac Attack (Video) http://www.bicycling.com/video/horner-happy-his-tour#/video/all/created/d/1?cm_mmc=Bicycling_tdf_NL-_-07252014-_-horner_happy

evyck da fleet
07-27-2014, 16:12
In addition to being cheap, familiar and a place to charge your electronics, it could be that said thru hikers could have just heard about the McGangBang(forget what it is - didn't try it) that can be created from the dollar menu. Find someone who hasn't had it yet and hikers will go in to town together to have it together.

Ricky&Jack
07-27-2014, 19:49
I like to pick up 6 $1 cheeseburgers before a hike.... then for $6 I not only have all the food I need for the day, But I have the calories... for only $6

thecyclops
07-28-2014, 01:03
Fast food free 5+ years and very,very little processed food also...would rather just go to the grocers and get some fresh fruits,and veg.

lemon b
07-30-2014, 04:36
I work in Lee, Ma. sometimes thru hikers stay here. I do 11pm-8am so non of them are up for the offered free ride to the trailhead in the AM.... The dollar menu, the spoons they hijack from our Superstarter breakfast.

Oma-n-Opa
08-25-2014, 14:20
As my now 24-year-old, grown, married, Master's seeking son will tell me, "Mom, I love your cooking, but sometimes I just NNNEEEEEEDDD Mickey D's."

I'd like to think some of that has to do with all the times we would be travelling, camping, and whenever we came out of the woods, he would always want a happy meal. Good memories, those, even though the food wasn't stellar.

Dogtra
08-25-2014, 19:53
Would be interested in poll results of thru-hikers preference for McDonalds between two groups: those that eat it regularly before their thru and those that never or rarely ever ate there.

Unfortunately I can't say that I avoid fast food entirely...
I can say that even during my thru-hike attempts I never chose McDonalds if their were better options available.

swjohnsey
08-25-2014, 20:19
Where else can you get a !,000+ calorie breakfast for $5?

Sarcasm the elf
08-25-2014, 20:52
Where else can you get a !,000+ calorie breakfast for $5?

Easy.......

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/96/21/60/0007962160010_300X300.jpg

RockDoc
08-25-2014, 20:58
Here's the answer:
We need to go to McD's for the bathrooms. We call them "McBathroom". The bathrooms are reasonably clean and we can take care of business and wash up without any problems.
McD's food? Not so much.

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2014, 08:22
Here's a good article and kind of funny -- because it's true:) http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/09/why_eating_mcdonalds_is_completely_natural.html

Excerpt:

"Humans are perhaps the ultimate omnivores (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Diet). We evolved to eat whatever is around, be it plant, animal, or burger. Before the rise of agriculture roughly 10,000 years ago, our ancestors were predominantly hunter-gatherers. Spread far across the globe, their diets matched their surroundings. For example (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/)s, we can look to modern hunter-gatherers. 95% of the Inuit's diet is comprised of meat and fish. The Kung! of southern Africa eat mostly seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Farther north, the Hadza predominantly consume meat, fish, and roots.

There is no specific "natural" human diet, evolutionary biologist Marlene Zuk wrote in 2009 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20essa.html). What's "natural" for us is to eat whatever we can. Over time, our bodies may adapt to take advantage.

"Take dairy products, one of the classic modern foods we supposedly arenít meant to eat. Most people who canít tolerate them lack a gene that confers the ability to break down lactose, the sugar in milk, after the age of weaning. Our Stone Age ancestors couldnít digest milk as adults either, but a recent study shows that about 5,000 years ago, mutations that keep that gene switched on spread throughout Northern Europe. Thatís also when cattle began to be domesticated; being able to drink milk as well as lower-lactose cheese would have been advantageous as a source of nutrition and fluids."

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2014, 08:24
BTW, this is the title of the above link: Why Eating McDonald's Is Completely 'Natural'

Gambit McCrae
09-23-2014, 10:43
Think about and crave a certain food for miles or days? It doesnt matter what you pass along the way your dead set on what you were thinking about

runt13
09-23-2014, 12:43
Been following this thread and decided to go get myself a big mac and large fries for lunch today.....awful, wont be doing that again any time soon trail or no trail.

RUNT ''13''

JohnnySnook
09-23-2014, 12:52
I rarely eat at fast food restaurants but when I do I eat at MceDee's. There is just something about their french fries. When I get the itch it's almost an unstoppable urge. I usually go the expensive route and get chicken nuggets.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2014, 12:58
Here's a good article and kind of funny -- because it's true:) http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/09/why_eating_mcdonalds_is_completely_natural.html

Excerpt:

"Humans are perhaps the ultimate omnivores (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human#Diet). We evolved to eat whatever is around, be it plant, animal, or burger. Before the rise of agriculture roughly 10,000 years ago, our ancestors were predominantly hunter-gatherers. Spread far across the globe, their diets matched their surroundings. For example (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/)s, we can look to modern hunter-gatherers. 95% of the Inuit's diet is comprised of meat and fish. The Kung! of southern Africa eat mostly seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Farther north, the Hadza predominantly consume meat, fish, and roots.

There is no specific "natural" human diet, evolutionary biologist Marlene Zuk wrote in 2009 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20essa.html). What's "natural" for us is to eat whatever we can. Over time, our bodies may adapt to take advantage.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/we-asked-22-women-what-bats-taste-and-most-them-di-1011?utm

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 13:11
Yup. Us, bears and rats, evolved to eat anything. About all we can't do in that department is digest cellulose or lignin.Then again, I don't know of any omnivores evolved to do that.

Pedaling Fool
04-01-2015, 10:17

Read this story this morning and it made me think of the above post...it's true, junk food is good for you, provided you need it and not just stuffing your face, as most people do...Personally, I eat anything and everything, but what I don't do is eat often and I don't stuff myself -- I'm always a little hungry. Except special occasions, such as Thanksgiving or other get-together's -- that's the time to pig out :banana:D

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2015/04/01/fast_food_works_just_as_well_as_supplements_after_ a_workout_109157.html

Excerpt:

"After a strenuous workout, top athletes and everyday exercisers regularly reach for energy bars, protein powders, or recovery drinks, thinking that these dietary supplements provide boosts that normal foods do not.

A new study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25811308), however, finds that -- when it comes to exercise recovery -- supplements are no better than fast food.

The multi-billion-dollar sports supplement industry is a true behemoth. With catchy taglines and sparkling testimonials from top athletes, they've convinced millions of people to use their products. University of Montana graduate student Michael Cramer decided to find out if their claims of superiority stood the test of science, so he pit some of the most oft-used supplements, including Gatorade, PowerBar, and Cytomax "energy" powder, against a few of McDonald's most vaunted contenders: hotcakes, hash browns, hamburgers, and fries.

Cramer invited eleven highly trained male athletes to take part in the study. After fasting for 12 hours, all of them completed a rigorous 90-minute endurance workout.

Subsequently, subjects assigned to fast food were given hotcakes, orange juice, and a hash brown, while subjects assigned to supplements were given Gatorade, organic peanut butter, and Cliff Shot Bloks. Two hours later, the fast food group consumed a hamburger, Coke, and fries, while the supplement group scarfed down Cytomax powder and PowerBar products. Two hours after their second meal, all subjects rode 20 kilometers on a stationary bike as quickly as possible.

Both the supplement and fast food meals were roughly equal in calories, carbohydrate, and protein, though, as one might guess, the fast food had much more sodium and slightly more fat. At various times, subjects underwent muscle biopsies and blood work to gauge blood glucose, lipid, insulin, and glycogen levels.

A week later, subjects came back into the lab and repeated the experiment, this time eating the diet they weren't assigned to previously.

Upon analysis, Cramer found that athletes completed the time trial just as quickly after eating fast food compared to supplements. Moreover, levels of muscle glycogen were actually higher for the fast food (FF) group than for the supplement (SS) group, though the difference was not statistically significant. Glycogen is a key energy source in muscles that's primarily replenished through carbohydrate intake. Think of glycogen as your muscles' fuel; when it's depleted, exercise performance suffers. Furthermore, Cramer found no difference in insulin, glucose, cholesterol, or triglyceride levels. Subjects reported equal amounts of stomach discomfort."

Fredt4
04-01-2015, 23:09
1) its fast
2) its relatively cheap
4) free Wi-Fi
5) outlet to charge your phone
6) air conditioning
7) clean bathrooms (usually)

I went to a local pizza place. I asked if I could charge my phone, owner said no unless I paid extra, went down the street to McDonald's.

Five Tango
04-02-2015, 07:53

Every person in America would be well advised to go out to YouTube and watch Dr. Robert Lustig's treatise "Sugar,the Bitter Truth".It's an eye opener!

swjohnsey
04-02-2015, 08:08
Quack! Quack!