PDA

View Full Version : condensation

Braves#6
12-06-2013, 13:20
See if I got this right. I use an MSR Hubba. After some brief research, I have learned the two easiest ways to fight condensation are: 1. Use a groundsheet. 2. Stake out the fly for the most ventilation. Who agrees? If not, what works better/easier? Thanks.

chall
12-06-2013, 15:09
While those are definitely factors, there's also site location and dew point/relative humidity. Ventilation won't completely eliminate condensation - you can still get condensation in a wide open tarp.

As far as site location goes, generally speaking:

-Seek higher ground
-Avoid setting up in a wide open, grassy area
-Avoid setting up next to a body of water
-If possible, set up under a canopy of trees (but avoid widow-makers)

Condensation is also most likely when the relative humidity is close to the air temperature outside. For example, if it's 40* F air temp, and 100% relative humidity, the dew point (the point which condensation occurs) is 40* F.

Another important thing is to be as dry as possible when entering your tent for the night, and keep any wet clothing/items outside of the tent.

DeerPath
12-06-2013, 15:43
While those are definitely factors, there's also site location and dew point/relative humidity. Ventilation won't completely eliminate condensation - you can still get condensation in a wide open tarp.

As far as site location goes, generally speaking:

-Seek higher ground
-Avoid setting up in a wide open, grassy area
-Avoid setting up next to a body of water
-If possible, set up under a canopy of trees (but avoid widow-makers)

Condensation is also most likely when the relative humidity is close to the air temperature outside. For example, if it's 40* F air temp, and 100% relative humidity, the dew point (the point which condensation occurs) is 40* F.

Another important thing is to be as dry as possible when entering your tent for the night, and keep any wet clothing/items outside of the tent.

Ditto..........

Tuckahoe
12-06-2013, 18:56
This was an enjoyable read -- http://johncwalton.com/WindowOutdoors/Dew%20Frost%20Condensation%20and%20Radiation.htm

Braves#6
12-08-2013, 12:24
thanks for some good info. and you're right Tuckahoe64, that is an enjoyable read.

Mountain Springs
02-21-2014, 00:28
Am I missing something? In a traditional double-walled tent like the Hubba, is there a concern about getting condensation on the inner tent (not just the fly? I've never had that, but it might just we where I live.

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 01:23
This was an enjoyable read -- http://johncwalton.com/WindowOutdoors/Dew%20Frost%20Condensation%20and%20Radiation.htm
I have an old camp trails tent where the the fly is aluminized. never knew why, I mean I knew it was for rays, but now I see why, and it makes more sense. Thanks Tuckahoe.

An ideal tent would have a waterproof/breathable lightweight and strong fabric that would keep in warmth while letting vapor escape. A future avenue for improvement would be to manage the infrared energy by adding a low IR emissivity coating to the outside of the fabric. This would lower the loss of IR during the night thereby increasing the temperature of the fabric and lowering the degree of condensation. An (ugly) non breathable example would be to use an aluminized silnylon fabric with the aluminized side pointing to the outside. A better option might be to utilize some of the IR emissivity controlling coatings developed by the US military when they become available for civilian use. Adding a low emissivity coating to the outside of a single wall tent or tarp fabric should significantly lower the frequency and amounts of condensation.