PDA

View Full Version : Bull Gap to Wegufka end???

JBEN
12-07-2013, 10:45
Greeting to all of the previous AlaTrails members... Glad to find a few of you again!

What is the mileage from Bull Gap TH to the end @ Wegufka ?

Is it all woods walk?

What is the H2O situation like?

I'm in the planning stage of finishing this newer blazed woods section of the Pinhoti. I've completed all of the other sections and I'm looking forward saying I've done ALL of the Pinhoti...

-JBEN

poopsy
12-07-2013, 12:02
The Pinhoti Trail Alliance links to Mr. Parkay's maps don't work any more. You can find the related maps for the information you want here however: http://www.hikealabama.org/index.php?page=pinhoti. It's in a zip file on this page. You can also check out recent trail journals on trailjounals.com. A couple of people have hiked this section over the past couple of years. The church in Stewartville seems to be a popular stealth site to camp.

Good luck.

Poopsy

jackietreehorn
12-07-2013, 18:47
Bull gap is at mile 34.3. Its all road south of Bull gap.

jackietreehorn
12-07-2013, 18:50
That info is per Mr Parkay's maps. I do not have a date on my copy. If there is new trail I am not aware of it and it is not reflected on the Pinhoti Alliance page. http://pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html

blisterbob
12-07-2013, 19:12
A lot of hikers are getting mis-leading or out dated info from different sources.
Rebecca Mtn. is a relatively new section of woods trail between Mile 22.9 and 34.3
of the Pinhoti and the only water sources are within the first 1.5 miles of 603A nobo.
Between 603A and Weogufa (mile 6.5) is road walk with several water sources and a Dollar General.
I understand there will eventually be more woods trail added between Weogufga and Flagg Mtn.

poopsy
12-07-2013, 21:27
I believe in Blisterbob.

However, the questions then become: Why can't we get the right info? and, Can BB direct us to a site that has it? If the organizations that are responsible for taking care of the trail don't post it, then what should outsiders do?

Thanks BB

Poopsy

blisterbob
12-07-2013, 21:41
I believe in Blisterbob.

However, the questions then become: Why can't we get the right info? and, Can BB direct us to a site that has it? If the organizations that are responsible for taking care of the trail don't post it, then what should outsiders do?

Thanks BB

Poopsy
Good points!

Some of the websites aren't updated in as timely manner as needed for various reasons.
The USFS maps of the trail that are currently available are dated 1997, supposedly new ones are in the works.
Pinhoti trail alliance is accurate as of the times it was posted.
Likewise for Mr. Parkay's Maps and there are many hiking clubs that have info.
I base my personal info on all of these and what I have learned from hikers, trail maintainers, and 4 hikes through
all the Alabama sections in the past 4 years. That being said, I monitor this site and will try to assist hikers with
their questions.

Dogwood
12-07-2013, 21:44
The wooded trail south of Bulls Gap is rather recent. It's taking a little time for the beta to show up in so many places. It's not road walk from Bulls Gap to Trammel Speedway(that's the road title on the maps I had). It's nice single track. I had one nice water source in that stretch. HOWEVER, there is a rather lengthy improved gravel forest service road walk of more than 20 miles to get to Flagg Mt and a short(looked like less than 2 miles of trail to get to the Flagg Mt summit on Mr Parkays map for this area). I didn't do this road walk. I didn't start at Flagg Mt. According to the sources I followed for my PT thru-hike the road walk and short trail section to Flagg MT hadn't "officially" been recognized as the PT. However, some sources do. I think the Forest Service recognizes the southern terminus of the PT to be at Rebecca Mt or the Trammel Road(Speedway) TH. I guess some make a big deal about ending at Flagg because I think(u should check me on this) it's the last mountain above 1000 ft elev in the Appalachian Mt chain.

al_stargazer
12-07-2013, 22:02
Hey All!! Here's the latest information on Rebecca Mountain. The mileage is 11.2 and it is woods trail and not road walk. There is a creek at the bottom of Rebecca where the trail comes in from 603A. I have also been told there is another water source on top between Bulls Gap and the cell phone tower but we haven't had time to go in and mark it. My husband and I are the trail maintainers for this section. The Pinhoti Trail Alliance website has not been updated in a good while and may not be, so any current changes on the Pinhoti are not there. We will have to depend on word of mouth or these types of forums to get information to hikers. We have just spent two weekends cleaning and trimming the trail on Rebecca so PLEASE come and enjoy her beauty. :-). She is ready for visitors. From Rebecca to Flagg is all road walk. We have also spend time trimming and cleaning the trails on Flagg. Work has also begun on the new section of trail on Flagg on land that was purchased by Forever Wild (I believe it was Forever Wild). We hope to have this trail finished as soon as weather permits and volunteers are available to work.

poopsy
12-08-2013, 09:07
Thanks blisterbob and al_stargazer.

I had been planning a January thru hike that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe in March.

Right now it's at least 40*F warmer in Sylacauga than where I am right now. I just got back from Africa and have come to the conclusion that we Canadians are bizarre for living in such a cold climate. I spent a good portion of my working career living in a tent in the Arctic and it is now no longer an adventure. It's just cold. I don't know how Tipi actually likes it!

Poopsy

JBEN
12-08-2013, 09:50
To Verify w/the new woods trail blazed:

The single track trail from Bull Gap TH to Trammel Motor SW TH is "How long?"

What is the official TH name for the Trammel Motor SW TH? Is it the same?

blisterbob
12-08-2013, 11:49
To Verify w/the new woods trail blazed:

The single track trail from Bull Gap TH to Trammel Motor SW TH is "How long?"

What is the official TH name for the Trammel Motor SW TH? Is it the same?
The Rebecca Mtn. Pinhoti is blazed very well and most of it was made with the mini-dozer
on the side hill areas therefore outlining a very distinct treadway. You will not have any problems
navigating the 11.2 miles. the official name of the SW TH is 603A. and there is a small parking
lot there.

speaker
12-16-2013, 20:02
Hi All,
I have been working with EdNotMilkMan, blisterbob, and others, to get information on these sections, and I think I have it pretty much all set up.

My new updated guide, based largely off of Solo's original, is available at http://www.trailguidewiki.com/wiki/Pinhoti_Trail_Guide

This includes the new Flagg Mt section (http://www.trailguidewiki.com/wiki/Pinhoti-S01) and the new Rebecca Mtn Section (http://www.trailguidewiki.com/wiki/Pinhoti-S03), complete with distances, POI, gpx, maps, and elevation profiles.

The site is still always a work in progress, so if something is wrong, let me know, or even better, you can always update it if you want.

The more contributing hikers/maintainers, the more accurate this guide will be. So far its off to a great start.

Thanks everyone

marti038
12-17-2013, 10:00
Hi All,
I have been working with EdNotMilkMan, blisterbob, and others, to get information on these sections, and I think I have it pretty much all set up.

My new updated guide, based largely off of Solo's original, is available at http://www.trailguidewiki.com/wiki/Pinhoti_Trail_Guide

Thanks Speaker. This is useful stuff.

Matt65
12-17-2013, 12:19
Thanks Speaker. This is useful stuff.

Indeed.

Speaker, any of my images that you would like to use from here, Alatrails, or the Hammock Forum please feel free. I hope to have more posted soon. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JBEN
12-25-2013, 11:06
Now that Christmas obligations are almost in the book and I've gorged myself with some fine Christmas junkfood...I need to get the ultimate exercise. HIKING in the woods!!!

The weekend finally looks like it will be storm/rain free...

I've made the decision to hike from Bull Gap TH to 603A TH this saturday/sunday thus completing the Pinhoti.
The 11.2 miles isnt that long so I've decided to make it an "Out & Back."
My plan is to hike to 603A TH, turn around and start hiking back stopping to camp somewhere along the backtrack way.

I am extending the invitation to anyone that may have a desire to stroll on our beloved Pinhoti...
I plan on being @ Bull Gap TH saturday morning.

Just let me know if anyone desires to join in on the hike...maybe even message me so I get an email notification...

The Mountains are calling,

-JBEN