PDA

View Full Version : Bugs & Benadryl

squeezebox
12-07-2013, 15:22
I read about a lot of complaints about all of the skeeter swarms , and other bugs. Did not hear about any skin ointments, or benadryl to counter the inflammation, even soap and water. Long pants, long sleeves, hat veil ?? Did any thing help in the process ??

Feral Bill
12-07-2013, 15:44
Benadryl puts me asleep, not ideal for mosquitoes, although killing the itch before bed time might be good. I use a combination of light full coverage clothing (an old cotton dress shirt is good) and DEET to resist the hordes. At night, netting.

MuddyWaters
12-07-2013, 15:46
Benadryl is good to have a few tabs in case of an allergic reaction that is life threatening. I wouldnt use for mosquitos. Clothing treated with permetrin, and DEET if things get really really bad.

juma
12-07-2013, 18:18
There is some kind ammonia based wipe that really kills the itch. But, if you suffer through the first week you do get some kind of immunity to the itch and just don't think about it much. That is still using deet and netting at nite.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2013, 18:30
Ya all beat me too it.

Turk6177
12-08-2013, 10:26
I would highly recommend spraying your clothes with permetherin prior to hiking in a mosquito filled area. I would also recommend spraying a little deet based bug spray on your exposed skin. For any real bad bites that itch a lot, I use Afterbite itch eraser which is ammonia based. It works very well and is pretty light weight.

DandT40
12-08-2013, 10:37
In heavy mosquito areas I usually cover up as much as possible like you mentioned. I would rather sweat than be bitten all over. But for my face/neck area I spray as much deet as I can tolerate to keep them away. As far as once you have been bitten for me nothing seems to work long term. The itch relief stuff seems really short lived.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 10:44
Topical Itch creams are short lived, the immune system is fighting back the saliva of the mosquito below the surface of the skin..

Science is so intrigued with this process they invented a injection syringe exactly like the mosquito proboscis.

25172http://www.gizmag.com/mosquito-inspires-near-painless-hypodermic-needle/18320/

OCDave
12-08-2013, 22:29
Not everyone has the same response to mosquito bites. The redness, swelling and itching are attributable to your own body's release of histamine. Diphenhydramine (BENADRYL) is an antihistamine and if taken chronically could decrease the immune response to mosquito saliva however, this would be associated with side effects most noteably drowsiness. IF your personal history suggests that you react to the bite of mosquito consider a long acting NON-SEDATING antihistamine taken daily when exposure to mosquitos is expected. Loratidine (CLARITIN), Cetirizine (ZYRTEC) or Fexofenadine (ALLEGRA) would be your over the counter options. These are also appropriate therapy for idividuals with seasonal allergies as well.

AS ALWAYS, discuss your personal health issues with you own primary care provider. Information posted anonymously on the internet should be considered suspect.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 23:24
Wow Dave ya came thru - great post!