PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail vs LightHeart SOlo

goody5534
12-07-2013, 20:24
Im ready to buy one or the other. I leaning towards the Contrail because of the "apparent" ease of setup as well as the additional 2 square feet of room... I am changing from a BA Copper Spur UL1... Any suggestions advice?

bfayer
12-07-2013, 20:45
Im ready to buy one or the other. I leaning towards the Contrail because of the "apparent" ease of setup as well as the additional 2 square feet of room... I am changing from a BA Copper Spur UL1... Any suggestions advice?

Lightheart has better ventilation options, less condensation issues, and when the weather allows much better views. Tarptent makes a great product, you really can't go wrong with either.

Tuckahoe
12-07-2013, 20:48
I have no experience with the Tarptent Contrail, but Tarptent has a good reputation. I have owned the Lightheart Gear Solo and I was very happy with it. I think you find in fact that the Solo is the larger of the two -- 30sqft vs 21sqft -- at only 2.5 ounces more than the listed weight of the Contrail.

I found that with the Solo, there was plenty of room for myself and my gear with room to spare. Plenty of room to sit up and I found the position of the tent's headroom ideal; I could sit right up without rubbing against the tent body. I also found the Solo quick and easy to set up. And I really prefered the side entry over that of a front entry tent.

I think that you would be well served with either tent. I have since moved on to a hammock, but I would pick the LHG Solo again.

Bags4266
12-07-2013, 21:41
What I don't like about my contrail is the forward entry. Space and weight is great

10-K
12-07-2013, 21:50
That's a coin flipper.

One difference (I think) is that the Contrail can be setup as a freestanding tent.

hpowers
12-07-2013, 23:27
Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the BA?

Firefighter503
12-08-2013, 00:57
That's a coin flipper.

One difference (I think) is that the Contrail can be setup as a freestanding tent.

You are thinking of the Rainbow. I had a Contrail and about 800ish miles on it. I liked it for the most part, but like was mentioned already, the front entry was less than ideal. I did have some condensation issues on occasion, but you'll have that with most tents I think depending on weather/site selection. I kept the vents wide open 99% of the time to combat this. Setup is very easy, but will take a handful of pitches to learn to get it just right (tight!). I eventually upgraded to a Hexamid for both weight savings and the side entry feature, and gave the Contrail to studlintsean (I am sure he will check in here), and he has used it for a couple hundred miles so far as well.

I can't comment on the LHG Solo, but the Contrail is definitely a great shelter for the price.

goody5534
12-08-2013, 08:58
Out of curiosity, why are you ditching the BA?

the "weight"- it doesn't give "me" extra functionality/protection. In no way am I a "gram-weenie"m but if I can afford and if I dont lose any features/comfort why not make the change. This year, for 3 (30-40miles) day trips my weight with water and food was around 38-40 lbs. With a new shelter and switching from a bag to a quilt I think I can drop 3-4 pounds...

10-K
12-08-2013, 10:59
the "weight"- it doesn't give "me" extra functionality/protection. In no way am I a "gram-weenie"m but if I can afford and if I dont lose any features/comfort why not make the change. This year, for 3 (30-40miles) day trips my weight with water and food was around 38-40 lbs. With a new shelter and switching from a bag to a quilt I think I can drop 3-4 pounds...

How much food do you usually have left after a hike?

The best and easiest way to drop pack weight is to fine tune how much food you're carrying. I hate finishing a hike with 3 lbs of food left in my bag. (back when I was in the "well, you might need this and you might need that" stage this was my worst offender).

After that, think about how much water you're carrying. Look at your guide - if there's a reliable water source 8 miles ahead of you why carry 3 quarts of water.

(Not saying you carry too much food and water - just that this is the first place I'd recommend anyone who want to lighten their pack start looking).

Studlintsean
12-08-2013, 12:56
You are thinking of the Rainbow. I had a Contrail and about 800ish miles on it. I liked it for the most part, but like was mentioned already, the front entry was less than ideal. I did have some condensation issues on occasion, but you'll have that with most tents I think depending on weather/site selection. I kept the vents wide open 99% of the time to combat this. Setup is very easy, but will take a handful of pitches to learn to get it just right (tight!). I eventually upgraded to a Hexamid for both weight savings and the side entry feature, and gave the Contrail to studlintsean (I am sure he will check in here), and he has used it for a couple hundred miles so far as well.

I can't comment on the LHG Solo, but the Contrail is definitely a great shelter for the price.

Yup. Id recommend the contrail to anyone looking for a new shelter

bfayer
12-08-2013, 13:30
Another advantage of the LH is the more symmetrical shape makes it less sensitive to the wind direction when you set it up. If you get a door on both sides it's even less of an issue.

I have a rain shadow 2 (similar shape, much larger than contrail) and if the weather is bad, I need to be pretty careful on the direction I set it up in relation to the wind. With my LH Solong 6, it doesn't matter as much.

Like I said both good tents, I am more partial to the LH for a solo tent.

bamboo bob
12-08-2013, 13:36
Love my lightheart Solong. I use it as a double with my wife and as a roomy solo alone. Great tent or tarp or whatever.

bamboo bob
12-08-2013, 13:38
The Lightheart takes some getting use to for set up. I yelled at it for a few days on the CDT in the desert but once I got the hang of it it was a quick set up.

Elder
12-08-2013, 13:49
I yelled at it for a few days on the CDT in the desert.

Did it ever comment? I have had them sing to me in the wind.

Mumbles_2014
12-08-2013, 13:59
I've got the Contrail, lightweight, compact, and easy to set up. The only downside is I broke one of the standard steaks the first time I set it up, so I just use cheap aluminum ones and it works great.

daddytwosticks
12-08-2013, 15:13
Tarptent Notch. Lightweight. Doublewall. Easy to set up. Dual side entry. Easy to get into/out of in the rain. :)

FamilyGuy
12-08-2013, 18:32
One correction - the Contrail can be set up to provide 27 sq feet of living space, not 21. 21 is with un relaxed floor.

goody5534
12-08-2013, 23:52
How much food do you usually have left after a hike?

The best and easiest way to drop pack weight is to fine tune how much food you're carrying. I hate finishing a hike with 3 lbs of food left in my bag. (back when I was in the "well, you might need this and you might need that" stage this was my worst offender).

After that, think about how much water you're carrying. Look at your guide - if there's a reliable water source 8 miles ahead of you why carry 3 quarts of water.

(Not saying you carry too much food and water - just that this is the first place I'd recommend anyone who want to lighten their pack start looking).

10k, I have severe fear of being without water... Usuallly "camel up" every morning with 4-5 liters... and can drink that by the afternoon on hot or cold days. Food, I am not nearly as bad but usually end up bringing an extra day of food (2lbs). So "yes" if I cut back water and drink at sources, and refine my food I can cut but I am purely "looking at base weight" reduction.

Praha4
12-09-2013, 00:35
I've tried both the Contrail and LH Solo, and actually like the Tarptent Notch better than either of them. The Notch has side entry also.

10-K
12-09-2013, 08:12
10k, I have severe fear of being without water... Usuallly "camel up" every morning with 4-5 liters... and can drink that by the afternoon on hot or cold days. Food, I am not nearly as bad but usually end up bringing an extra day of food (2lbs). So "yes" if I cut back water and drink at sources, and refine my food I can cut but I am purely "looking at base weight" reduction.

5 liters of water and 2 lbs of food weighs around 13 lbs. This is why your pack weight is 38-40 lbs for a 3 day trip. The difference between the weight of your Copper Spur UL1 and either of the tents you're considering isn't even a blip compared to the freight you're hauling for food and water.

I"m just saying - I'm not judging - HYOH and all.

goody5534
01-11-2014, 19:02
I just bought the contrail...

Ramble~On
01-12-2014, 02:31
:) Here's another vote for the Lightheart. I used mine to thru hike in 2009 and I'm still using the same tent now. It's been through everything! I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a new one when this one dies but I'm not sure that is ever going to happen.

HeartFire
01-12-2014, 10:30
:) Here's another vote for the Lightheart. I used mine to thru hike in 2009 and I'm still using the same tent now. It's been through everything! I keep telling myself I'm going to buy a new one when this one dies but I'm not sure that is ever going to happen.

Ramble On, You also bought the very first ever sold LightHeart Solo!

UL_Packer
01-18-2014, 17:30
Well I recieved my cloudburst 3 last friday but finally got to set it up in a yard today and check it out. I am extremely pleased with the quality and workmanship that went into making the tent. I was not able to find any flaws in the stitching or anything. I am hoping to use it in the next couple of weeks.

UL_Packer
01-18-2014, 17:34
Totally screwed this one up. Sorry this was supposed to be in the cloudburst 3 thread. Can admin move it or delete it?