PDA

View Full Version : AT Obsession

Siarl
12-08-2013, 03:14
I am so excited about doing an AT thru-hike, I might actually need a 12 step program before I've even begun. I do go on small hikes within the National Park nearby and the surrounding area. Watching and searching for AT thru-hike videos on you tube. Researching gear and looking at the latest stuff. etc. I feel like I'm in that old Target commercial with my face pressed up against the sliding glass door window while saying, "Open, Open, Open". Now where was I? Oh yeah, researching a dehydrator and food items. Gotta go.

bert304
12-08-2013, 08:16
My wife says I am obsessed with the AT also. I am waiting for her to tell me to take a hike.

Starchild
12-08-2013, 08:34
Enjoy it, it's suppose to be exciting.

hikerboy57
12-08-2013, 09:00
there is already a 12 step program.
followed by 12 more steps,followed by 12 more steps, followed by.....

Don H
12-08-2013, 09:34
I suggest you read this book http://appalachiantrials.com which deals with the mental aspect of hiking the AT.

OutdoorsMan
12-08-2013, 10:29
I suggest you read this book http://appalachiantrials.com which deals with the mental aspect of hiking the AT.

My circumstances in life prevent me from ever thru-hiking the AT but I do section hike when I can. My son has an interest in thru-hiking though and after downloading a free chapter I think that I have found a perfect Christmas gift for him. Thanks for bringing this book to our attention.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 11:00
HB is there a twelve step for the wife?

hikerboy57
12-08-2013, 11:02
HB is there a twelve step for the wife? yes but its on the PCT

kayak karl
12-08-2013, 11:48
it's call Hike-Anon :)

MuddyWaters
12-08-2013, 11:53
there is already a 12 step program.
followed by 12 more steps,followed by 12 more steps, followed by.....

Or better known as the 5 million step solution..

Kerosene
12-08-2013, 12:06
My wife says I am obsessed with the AT also. I am waiting for her to tell me to take a hike.The same with mine. When I would space out a bit my wife knew that I was daydreaming about backpacking. Now, she did eventually tell me to take a permanent hike, but I think the AT only had a little to do with it. Then again, she didn't share many of my passions, so perhaps it was a factor!

Siarl
12-09-2013, 01:39

I'll give this a look see. I'm not a psychologist by a long shot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...I'm aware of the psychological aspects of being alone for months at a time, on a trail, in the middle of nowheresboro with just your self and your thoughts. That doesn't scare me half as much as the bears do. I'm not scared of bears but I've had two close encounters already in Yosemite and The Redwoods and by no means was it a pleasant experience. It was either fate or the gods or luck that I don't have bear claw marks on my back. I made it out alive in the Redwoods because the Mama bear couldn't see me for the undergrowth but I saw the baby bear shimmy up a tree about 25 feet away from me because I startled it. I got outta there in a hurry. I survived the encounter at Yosemite because a park employee just happened to be jogging down the path towards me at the time that the Mama bear was about to give me a tattoo on my back. So Mama backed off. Again, it was because I had rounded a corner of a rock and the baby bear shimmied up a tree only a few yards away.