PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ruck January 17-19, 2014 @ NOC

Sly
12-08-2013, 12:32
The (14th annual) Southern Ruck will be held at the NOC over Martin Luther King Weekend.

Videos:

Embrace the Brutality
Tell It On The Mountain

Presentations:

Camino de Santiago
Colorado Trail
Florida Trail
Great Eastern Trail

Workshops and Hikes:

Thru-Hiking
Appalachian Trail

Free admission, with group style meals in the community dining hall. All participants receive a generous discount at the NOC outfitter.

You can make your own arrangements through NOC for a spot in basecamp (rustic) or the Nantahala Inn.

I also have a couple spots available for singles or couples in the awesome NOC cabins which are right next to the trail and Kleinrath Hall that include linens, common area, decks, private kitchen and bath facilities. PM me if interested.

Check out the website

Southern Ruck @ NOC (http://www.soruck.net/)

Hope to see some of you there.

Cookerhiker
12-09-2013, 08:32
Thanks for your dedication Sly. I'll be there!

Sly
12-29-2013, 03:19
Looks like Someday won't be able to make it to do her Great Eastern Trail presentation. Since that was scheduled for Saturday afternoon, it's most likely we'll expand the backpacking and thru-hiking clinic.

Also, I have a single bed in one of the cabins I need to fill and depending on sex, you'll be sharing a room in cabin D (female) or cabin C (male). Regardless, it's $60 total for Fri & Sat. and another $30 if you want to stay Sun. night (in cabin C).

Lastly (for now), I'm taking names for the name tags. If you plan on coming get yourself a nametag. They're free and help keep track who's coming and beats trying to remember everyone's name.

http://www.soruck.net/nametag.html

HeartFire
12-29-2013, 09:35
Can't wait. my presentation on the Colorado Trail is finally finished!

SawnieRobertson
12-29-2013, 13:04
Heartfire, this is going to be great, Thanks.~~Sawnie

SouthMark
12-29-2013, 13:23
I had to cancel my plans to attend and my room reservation as I am scheduled for shoulder surgery January 15. I was really looking forward to Judy's CT presentation and was hoping to pick some brains about the JMT. I have an appointment with the doctor on January 6. If I can reschedule the surgery I just may and attend RUCK as I have already promised Cuffs a ride. :)

Sly
12-30-2013, 04:26
I had to cancel my plans to attend and my room reservation as I am scheduled for shoulder surgery January 15. I was really looking forward to Judy's CT presentation and was hoping to pick some brains about the JMT. I have an appointment with the doctor on January 6. If I can reschedule the surgery I just may and attend RUCK as I have already promised Cuffs a ride. :)

LOL... I always schedule or re-schedule such appointments around the Ruck, Trail Days and the Gathering.

tallfran
01-05-2014, 22:09
Hi Sly,

Looks like I'll be able to make it this year. Is the female room still available or should I make a reservation thru NOC?

Granny Franny

Sly
01-06-2014, 02:33
Hi Sly,

Looks like I'll be able to make it this year. Is the female room still available or should I make a reservation thru NOC?

Granny Franny

Hey Franny, that's awesome!

The cabins are booked for Friday and Saturday night so you'll have to make your own arrangements and call NOC.

If you're Sunday night, there are a couple spots open for in cabin C. Just see me over the weekend.

Sly
01-06-2014, 21:37
Hear Ye, hear ye....

Matt Kirk will be attending giving a presentation on Saturday afternoon of the S.A.L.T. (Southern Appalachian Loop Trail) as well as his record breaking AT hike.

www.soruck.net

BillO
01-08-2014, 02:41
Anyone on the fence about going to the Southern Ruck should give it a shot for the rare chance to meet and chat with Matt Kirk. He is an unassuming well-spoken hiker who knows his stuff and will be most accommodating, I'm sure, with any questions you have about his 59-day self-supported AT thru-hike last year. I envy anyone who's able to go.

Sly
01-12-2014, 15:14
If you plan on coming last call for nametags (http://www.soruck.net/nametag.html). I'll be taking them for the next 24 hours or so.

If you plan on staying over the cabins are full, so you'll have to call the NOC for a spot in basecamp, or the Nantahala Inn, or make your own arrangements. If you plan on camping, overnight temps are supposed to be in the teens on Friday night and around 20* on Sat. & Sun. Days should be sunny and mostly sunny with 0% chance of rain and high's in the 40's.

For more info see the link in my sig.

Hope to see some of you there.

Sly
01-14-2014, 16:47
Hey, here's a great opportunity to meet two legends of the Trail. (Baltimore Jack and Bob Peoples)

I'm trying to find Baltimore Jack a ride to the NOC from the Kincora. Deliver him any time Friday afternoon and there'll be a ice cold beer or a cocktail waiting.

Call 423-725-4409 and let him know you're coming.

Lugnut
01-14-2014, 22:12
If Bob is going to be there why doesn't Jack ride with him?

Sly
01-14-2014, 23:37
If Bob is going to be there why doesn't Jack ride with him?

I don't think Bob is coming. You get to meet him when you pick up Jack! :p

Tenacious Tanasi
01-16-2014, 21:05
Hey Ruckers!!! Almost time! Woot!

For folks bringing items for the kitchen please remember the following:
~Bring appropriate serving utensils for your dish (ie soup ladles)
~Refrigerated space is limited. Think about bringing a cooler with your name on it for your items. Also, a written note taped to the top or front with the items and which meal they are intended for would be awesome!!! These coolers can be placed on either porch of the dining hall.
~If you are bringing items that need to have cooked, but you need someone else to cook them be sure you tell me where those items are located, which meal they are intended for.

Here are the following things we need:

1. Salad dressings of all kinds
2. Cooler full of ice for drinks.
3. More side dishes/vegetables for Friday evening potluck
4. More cold cuts for sandwiches for Saturday lunch (I have 10 loaves of white/wheat breads and a couple others are bringing bread so we're good on sandwich bread)
5. More hot/cold cups.
6. More sandwich spreads ie: mayo, mustard, chipotle, etc
7. Sandwich fixins such as sliced lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles.
8. Can never have enough desserts!
9. We have garden and spring mix salad aplenty as well as red onions and cherry tomatoes. If anyone would like to bring other salad toppings such as sunflower seeds, olives, almond slices, etc, please feel free to do so.
10. Hand towels and wash cloths.
11. Aluminum foil
12. Gallon size ziploc bags for putting leftovers in.

Other than that, we are pretty good I think. If anyone sees anything else that we might be lacking, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone for helping out!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anwy7iNs2AXEcExRamVFWklRTzRUNF9KR3FLdDRRS 3c#gid=5