PDA

View Full Version : Maps of Rebecca Mountain sec. and the new, unopened, unofficial Flagg Mountain sec.

ednotmilkman
12-08-2013, 17:11
Here are my own personal GPS generated maps of these two new sections for anyone to print. The Flagg Mountain blue colored trail is not yet a trail because there is a lot of sidehill work to be done to make it walkable. If you still want to check it out, it has been blazed with Pinhoti light blue paint, just be prepared to slip a lot on dry leaves and pine straw. There is no parking yet at the north end of the Flagg Mountain section on CR 56 because the gate is kept locked. Could also send you my gps file tracks if you want.

blisterbob
12-08-2013, 19:44
Thanks Ed.

Dogwood
12-09-2013, 02:14
Yeah, those are nice Ed. Thanks for posting. I wish I had those maps when I was down there. The PT is a a nice trail nice single track particularly in Alabama. GREAT to stretch you legs at this time of the yr on the PT without having to head further west or south to other trails. You folks are a good bunch of folks supporting the PT in Alabama!

marti038
12-09-2013, 11:41
Thanks for the maps Ed.

Is there a reaon the Flagg Mtn trail doesn't terminate at the lookout tower on the summit?

I read once that another group had control of that area at one point. I'm not sure if they still do and if they're restricting access or what?

Nick P
12-09-2013, 16:36
Thanks very much. I plan on putting the Rebecca ridge maps to good use next week!

Nick P
12-09-2013, 16:47
[QUOTE=ednotmilkman;1823590]Here are my own personal GPS generated maps of these two new sections. Could also send you my gps file tracks if you want.

Is there any way you could send your more detailed gps maps to me, at [email protected]? I did 110 miles of the PT some years back, but have no detailed maps and data on this section. Thanks in any case, as even these maps are critical.
Nick

/QUOTE]

Ted M
12-10-2013, 01:26
This is my very first post here on whiteblaze.net. I've been lurking a while. After reading this thread I decided it was time to join. I hiked all of the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama last year in sections, with my two chocolate labs. I really like the new section on Rebecca Mountain, so I thought I'd share a picture I made in October this year.

http://www.tedmastrandonas.com/images/whiteblaze.net/DSC_0621fb.jpg

Dogwood
12-10-2013, 03:03
What an entrance Ted. That pic is postcard! You had great light and captured it so well! Welcome to WB. Feel free to bless us with anymore pics of that quality content.

Matt65
12-10-2013, 07:27
This is my very first post here on whiteblaze.net. I've been lurking a while. After reading this thread I decided it was time to join. I hiked all of the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama last year in sections, with my two chocolate labs. I really like the new section on Rebecca Mountain, so I thought I'd share a picture I made in October this year.

Welcome Ted! Excellent picture, What camera were you using?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

blisterbob
12-10-2013, 08:55
Ditto on the post card quality. Pics like this and Rebecca will soon become well known by hikers.

And welcome to WB/Pinhoti.

Ted M
12-10-2013, 09:43
Thank you.

Ted M
12-10-2013, 09:44
This was just a day hike so I took a DSLR instead of the compact camera I normally carry for longer outings.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 09:57

Great photo...is that the trail on Rebecca Mt.? I've done Porters Gap to GA, I need to do this section soon.

blisterbob
12-10-2013, 10:51
Thanks for the maps Ed.

Is there a reaon the Flagg Mtn trail doesn't terminate at the lookout tower on the summit?

I read once that another group had control of that area at one point. I'm not sure if they still do and if they're restricting access or what?
I hesitated to reply because ed or stargazer probably have more current info than I, however as I understand it the Coosa County Conservation
Club leased the property some years back and have some control of it for the time being. Even when their lease expires I doubt that the Pinhoti
will be routed to the summit for the same reason it is not routed to the summit on Horn Mtn. at the CCC picnic shelter. Too many folks (not necessarily
hikers) have damaged some of the old CCC structures in the past. My opinion for what it's worth.

marti038
12-11-2013, 10:01
I doubt that the Pinhotiwill be routed to the summit for the same reason it is not routed to the summit on Horn Mtn. at the CCC picnic shelter. Too many folks (not necessarilyhikers) have damaged some of the old CCC structures in the past. My opinion for what it's worth.

This would be like starting the AT at the Springer Mtn Parking Lot. I understand what you are saying, but I don't see people being that close to the summit (kind of funny to say since it's only 1000' feet) and not walking on up to the top.

It may be a battle for another day, but it seems logical that the trail would start/end on TOP of Flagg Mtn.

al_stargazer
12-11-2013, 21:58
Edwin, Thanks for the maps. I've needed these. :-) Ted, Thanks for sharing such a beautiful picture. Bob, you are correct. Until 2017, another group has the rights to the tower. This area is a hangout for teens on Saturday night so if the gate is not locked, lots of mischief goes on. This doesn't keep people from walking up there though. It would be amazing to have the trail begin at the tower but I'm afraid the tower would suffer from so many visitors. There's always someone that doesn't appreciate history and landmarks.

marti038
12-12-2013, 11:25
It would be amazing to have the trail begin at the tower but I'm afraid the tower would suffer from so many visitors. There's always someone that doesn't appreciate history and landmarks.

Isn't it a stone structure? What would be damaged? Does it have windows and furnishings?

My understanding (and I've never been there) is that it hasn't been kept up for decades. Pretty hard to mess up something that's already in great disrepair. Why not gut it and just let it serve as a large shelter?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it just seems so logical for the trail to start there. Maybe one day there will be funding to take care of the building and start the Pinhoti on top of Flagg Mtn.

Ewker
12-12-2013, 15:31
is there a way you can download the maps or maybe put a link to where we can

blisterbob
12-12-2013, 15:56
is there a way you can download the maps or maybe put a link to where we can
I was able to bring up each map, enlarge, right click, and download.

Ewker
12-12-2013, 16:13
that worked. I just didn't enlarge the map to do that..thanks Bob