PDA

View Full Version : Oh gosh..seeking gear list critique and some input on other stuff! (2014 AT nobo)

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 21:09
Im excited to be posting this because it means a 2014 AT hike is likely, if nothing major changes. :banana

This is for a March 1st NOBO departure.

Still deciding on if I should stick with the Fancy Feast or go back to a canister stove. (that is why no stove is listed)

Listed will be the clothes in my pack. Not what I will be wearing. I plan on wearing zip off pants, trail runners, and a lightweight long sleeve half zip, maybe gaiters.

Wondering if I should carry 1 or 2 extra pairs of socks? As well as an extra t-shirt? Sort of like a stay dry at all costs socks/undies/shirt.

I may swap out bags as the temp warms up to an older down 25 (which really only keeps me warm until 30ish)

Should I throw in a beanie of some type? No hood on the zpack bag but I do have a balaclava. Its a lighter weight one, wonder if I should thicken up?

Small fire starter kit even necessary? I'll always have a lighter for stove but I like to have a wax candle, 3-4 weatherproof matches, and fire starter.

I like the Ursack minor but I could probably ditch the OPsak.

Will foam pad be sufficient for a march 1 start? Full Length Z lite sol. 2.6 value but it has been pretty much flattened from use. I am thinking about cutting it down to torso length. I do have a heavy big agnes insulated pad. I wonder if ill need to start with that for a month or so?

First aid kit seems a bit heavy but my inhaler is in there. Haven't needed it forever but I hope to save a life with it one day and be a hero.

Would it be worth starting off with nalgenes in order to put some hot bottles in my bag at night? I dont expect to many sub 20 nights and plan on staying warm especially with layers on.

Should I have a puffy AND a fleece? If the puffy is only for in camp i wonder if I should have more layers than a midweight wool, plus micro weight half zip, plus rain jacket for cold days?

Is there anything im completely forgetting to add or think about? Thanks whiteblazers.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16332

Subie Love
12-08-2013, 21:50
I would say one extra tshirt will be fine to sleep in, hike in the other. I wouldn't bring the mitts if you already have gloves or vice versa. Also, your boxers only way 3 grams?

Subie Love
12-08-2013, 21:52
I would try and find a lighter camp towel too. 6.4oz seems to be a bit on the heavy side and a lighter one will be a cheap way to shave a few ounces.

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 22:03
Yes I'm really really small. Some items may be in g not oz due to user error..

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 22:04
The camp towel is an XL. I could probably cut it in half, maybe even into a quarter of the size and it will still be sufficient.

Subie Love
12-08-2013, 22:12
haha OK, I just wanted to point that out to you. But yeah, I think everything looks good. As far as the clothing goes, I think you'll be fine hiking in the mid-weight in cooler temps and throwing on the down jacket at camp. I don't think you'd need an extra fleece but its up to you. You can always bring it at first and then send it back if you find you dont need it.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2013, 23:09
Dry at all costs layer?

Yes! One of the top ten essensuals. Good list but your a bit light on the extra clothes.

March is an unpredictable month weather wise, but you'd best plan on it being cold and wet most of the time. So when in doubt, error on the side of dry and warm. But don't get too carried away. Having two warm layers, like the fleece and the puffy is a good idea. If it's really cold and wet, you might need the fleece layer while hiking and that's a layer you don't mind getting too wet. But you need the puffy at camp later, since the fleece is wet. Even if that day only happens once, its worth it.

I'm not a big fan of the balacava, I go with a bennie cap and a sperate neck wrap. A hat with a rim (ball cap) to keep the sun or rain out of your eyes is a good idea too.

I'd get a decent, full length pad. You'll be a much happier camper with a new matt. You've gone all out on most of the gear, finish it off.

The fire kit is light, it might be handy one day. Writting a journal by hand by candle light would definately be "retro" these days :)

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 23:24
Normally my stay dry clothes bag consists of mid weight wool top and micro wool bottoms with socks of course. I can keep it that way if I start with the fleece and the puffy as I can wear the fleece instead of the wool. Thanks for the input on that (both of you) as I think the weight of it will be worth the reward of it.

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 23:28
I am 22 so I'm not too sure if retro is good or bad right now..I'm not an "in the know" young person :)

I'll have to look more into a pad. I had the neo air xlite but after a week it started deflating to about 20% come morning. Foam is just so easy and light. Maybe I will just carry the heavy big Agnes pad until the weather warms up.

Nyte
12-08-2013, 23:32
12.5 ounces for rain pants? Could do a rain skirt for a lot less weight and probably space too.

Starting that early, are you going to have a thermal base layer to wear and one packed? It would give you a dry set to sleep in (and an emergency backup in the cold if something happens unforeseen).

Having a Nalgene early on for sleeping warmth is probably a worth while idea, though I wonder all the time why not just use a lighter gatoraide bottle for that, I think they stand up to the hot water... anyone?

If your zrest is totally flatted, get a new one, you are about to put +/- 6 consecutive months on it, and start in the cold, probably (or possibly at least) flatting one out in the hike, might as well have the best part of it, insulation wise, when you need it most. For the insulative value and then making it lighter, you could start with a ridge rest solar, and then when the weather warms, cut it down to 3/4 or less to save weight through the bulk of the hike, and still get the higher R rating early in the cold.

If you are worried about your balaclava being too thin, take a beanie to boost it, you can always ditch one or the other if you find you don't need it.

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 23:36
Nyte, I was thinking about swapping out for a rain skirt once the weather warmed but like the idea of full out rain pants during colder weather.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has input on hot water in Gatorade bottles. I go near boiling in the nalgenes. Then again, with a good 20 degree bag I really don't expect to have to do that.

RedBeerd
12-08-2013, 23:38
And yes I could most definitely bring two sets of thermal base layers if in fact that is necessary?

Nooga
12-09-2013, 10:43
I would drop the camp towel and add a couple of cotton bandanas. The bandanas are much more useful.

Nyte
12-09-2013, 11:59
And yes I could most definitely bring two sets of thermal base layers if in fact that is necessary?

Necessary is debatable. Some will say yes, some will say no. I and some others like having a set for sleeping, so you know you can sleep in something dry and (most of the time) clean(er). Also if something unfortunate happens, like falling in a stream or the like, you have a set that is dry to put on, but what if's aren't the best way to pack.

michaelosborne
12-09-2013, 14:17
Do you already have your down jacket? If not get one with a hood, I bought my down jacket with a hood because I also have the zpacks bag and figured if it got so cold that I needed a hood I can scoot down in my bag cinch it around my neck and have my down jacket hood over my head.

RedBeerd
12-10-2013, 09:30
I do already have the jacket and I wish it had a hood. Depending on money it might be a worthwhile upgrade because I could also shave some good oz if I went Patagonia.
I'll definitely swap out to the bandanas.
I changed out the tent to a TT stratospire 1. Seems like the tent of my dreams..the $ savings will also allow some other upgrades.

CarlZ993
12-10-2013, 11:01
You can lighten up on a few things. Some already mentioned. Did your 5L stuff sack really weigh 3.4 oz? Seems pretty heavy for that size. You could easily drop some weight there is you used a Sea to Summit Ultrsylnylon stuff sack. I think a knit cap (or wool) plus a lightweight buff offers warmth & versatility for your head/neck area. You could drop an ounce on your headlight. Just be sure your headlight has a red LED light option on it. White light really wakes up people in shelters when you get up in the middle of the night to go water a rock.

I did the AT this year starting on 3/21. It was cold. Those who started earlier said it was even colder. I had a 15 deg down bag. On a couple of nights, I wore every bit of dry clothing & barely stayed warm. One night @ Tray Mountain Shelter, my 3 shelter mates literally didn't sleep more than occasional catnaps as their sleeping bag/clothing combo was inadequate for the temperature. They shivered all night long.

I made sure that my long underwear & insulating layer (Montbell Thermawrap?) was always dry (never hiked in them). I tended to hike cool (sometimes cold) and take minimal breaks. I tried not to sweat much when it was cold.
I too prefer to have dedicated rain pants. More for warmth in the early going.

You can carry your AT Guide in sections & save some weight there. I bought the loose-leaf book for my hike & another one (regular) for my wife. I broke it down into four sections & mailed the sections as needed. If you do it this way, be sure to include the pages with all the manufacturers phone numbers for the entire hike. Stuff breaks, wears out, you lose it, etc. Nice to have those numbers with you.

Good luck on your hike.

RedBeerd
12-10-2013, 11:55
Stuff sacks are 1.7 each but I carry two. One for dry clothes and one for the misc. Items. I could probably ditch 1 for a ziploc though. My misc. Items don't need to stay as dry.
The headlamp is heavy but the 100lumens comes in handy for night hiking.
Thanks for the tips. Seems like it will be chilly and I'll definitely plan accordingly!!

LIhikers
12-10-2013, 12:47
Let me make a suggestion.
During this winter sleep outside in the sleeping bag, pad, and sleeping clothes you intend to start with to see if that set-up is warm enough for you.
If it isn't you can make changes and adjustments before your hike.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 13:18
Your feet will get wet, no matter what. Wet feet cause blisters. Take two extra pairs of socks, change socks often and wash to remove grit, hang on your pack to dry.

yaduck9
12-10-2013, 13:36
I do already have the jacket and I wish it had a hood. Depending on money it might be a worthwhile upgrade because I could also shave some good oz if I went Patagonia.
I'll definitely swap out to the bandanas.
I changed out the tent to a TT stratospire 1. Seems like the tent of my dreams..the $ savings will also allow some other upgrades.

An inexpensive option if you don't have a hooded jacket and if you can find someone who can sew.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Insulated-Hat-Kit/index.htm

Downside.......you have to watch out for the fashion police

RedBeerd
12-18-2013, 12:12
Thanks for all the suggestions! One more question. Based on this gear list should I go for the ULA circuit? Wondering if the catalyst may be overkill.

steve0423
12-18-2013, 13:33
I carried a circuit on my thru this year and don't see why you couldn't do the same. I think if you go with the catalyst you may end up with a lot of empty bag latter on when it warms up and you've sent home some things you've found you can live without. While the catalyst would still be rated to carry the lesser weight, a fuller circuit will carry more comfortably then a have empty catalyst. I also carried gatoraid bottles instead of the heaver Nalgenes and they work just fine for making hot water bottles at night. I did it more times then I can remember, just don't bring the water to a rolling boil. You'll still get bout 2hrs warmth from them if you cut it off just as it starts to boil. If you leave the labels on, they serve as a warning system if you've gotten the water too hot. If the glue releases and the label comes off, you might have a bottle that's too hot. I had one occasion when this happened and the bottle crumpled a bit as the water cooled down but did not melt or leak in any way.

RedBeerd
12-19-2013, 21:46
Thanks Steve! That helped

4eyedbuzzard
12-20-2013, 00:26
I would try and find a lighter camp towel too. 6.4oz seems to be a bit on the heavy side and a lighter one will be a cheap way to shave a few ounces.

The camp towel is an XL. I could probably cut it in half, maybe even into a quarter of the size and it will still be sufficient.

I would drop the camp towel and add a couple of cotton bandanas. The bandanas are much more useful.

If you're still considering a camp towel, forget the "camp towels" sold by REI and others - just get a ShamWow. Yeah, I know, it's sold by "we can't do this all day" Vince, but the damn thing makes the best camp towel I've ever tried and only weighs about 2.5 oz dry - half of one would weigh 1.25 oz. Lots of uses including drying wet feet before putting on dry socks, bathing, etc. I made a sweatband out of a diagonal strip cut from the middle of one, it absorbs sweat like crazy and feels great loaded with cold stream water on a hot day. I rinse it out well then wring the doggie snot out of it beyond what most people would consider normal (I absolutely twist the SOB until it hurts several times) then hang it overnight to keep it as dry as possible. Gets a little deformed from the twisting but still works fine. On nice days hang it on your pack to air out and completely dry, on rainy ones put it in a ziplock, as you don't want it absorbing rain and getting heavy.
Check out this ShamWow vs camp towel test:
http://tapirtantrum.com/2009/04/12/shamwow-vs-rei/

Anyway, just food for thought.

Subie Love
12-20-2013, 02:27
If you're still considering a camp towel, forget the "camp towels" sold by REI and others - just get a ShamWow. Yeah, I know, it's sold by "we can't do this all day" Vince, but the damn thing makes the best camp towel I've ever tried and only weighs about 2.5 oz dry - half of one would weigh 1.25 oz. Lots of uses including drying wet feet before putting on dry socks, bathing, etc. I made a sweatband out of a diagonal strip cut from the middle of one, it absorbs sweat like crazy and feels great loaded with cold stream water on a hot day. I rinse it out well then wring the doggie snot out of it beyond what most people would consider normal (I absolutely twist the SOB until it hurts several times) then hang it overnight to keep it as dry as possible. Gets a little deformed from the twisting but still works fine. On nice days hang it on your pack to air out and completely dry, on rainy ones put it in a ziplock, as you don't want it absorbing rain and getting heavy.

Do you know anything about zpacks towel? I'm looking into buying this but it almost seems too good to be true. Its nice and big for the weight but I have a feeling that doesn't absorb all that. It seems too perfect and I feel like there has to be a downside. I don't mean to derail the thread. :o

http://zpacks.com/accessories/towel.shtml

daddytwosticks
12-20-2013, 08:16

Agree w/everything said. However, I have found those absorbent camp towels and shamwows are a bugger to dry. In fact, whenever I brought one, they never seemed to totally dry. A cotton bandana seems to dry much quicker but doesn't absorb as well as those shamwows/camp towels. :)

RedBeerd
12-20-2013, 08:47
Seems harder to decide on a towel than it does a tent :) the rei towel I used all summer in the Sierras started not to absorb as well after regular use and the stink is beyond comprehension. Definitely sold on the sham wow over camp towel, but still think bandanas are the best bet. Cheap, light, easily replaced.