PDA

View Full Version : Bear Spray leakage?

Chris10
12-08-2013, 22:06
Has anyone ever had issues with bear spray leaking from the canister? Had mine stored in a plastic bag in my closet with the rest of my gear and noticed a red stain on the carpet. The can somehow leaked, and ate a little bit through the plastic and onto the floor. The trigger lock was still on the canister.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 23:27
Don't have an answer - how long have you stored it?

Chris10
12-09-2013, 06:43
Less than a year, it was on its side, but don't know if that matters. Crazy, I know!

garlic08
12-09-2013, 08:39
Yes, I did, in the back of the car in the sun. Stupid of me. It leaked through my pack and onto some clothing. I didn't notice the pepper on the clothing until I wore it and started sweating. Ouch. I still have the pack, seven years later, and still sneeze at least once when loading it.

SunnyWalker
01-05-2014, 16:54
If you leave a can of pepper spray in a car it can get to hot and explode, boil over, etc. Don't make it a practice. Long storage in a non-upright position would be something I would avoid also. If you get it on your face do not rub the areas affected. Get yourself into wind. Also copious amts of water will help also. Exposure to wind/fan is very helpful though. I carry a small can when backpacking if I'll be near roads or hhiking. You just gotta be careful in how you handle it. It is not, of course lethal, but it can cause unwanted problems so watch out! :)