PDA

View Full Version : Using camp gas stove in a hotel/motel room?

rayjai
12-09-2013, 23:06
Hi All,

My friend and I are going to road trip to to Maine to hike Katahdin and we plan to stay in some motels along the way. we will be on a tight schedule and probably won't have time to eat out. Does anyone know if the gas camp stoves will set off the fire alarms or sprinklers? I know cooking certain things might set it off.

Thanks!
Ray

lush242000
12-09-2013, 23:14
The stove won't. What you are cooking might.

Sent from somewhere.

Cookerhiker
12-09-2013, 23:14
The question isn't whether the stoves will trigger the alarms.

The question is whether the motel owners will allow you to use the stoves inside their rooms. I would guess the answer is no. I sure wouldn't allow it, just as I wouldn't use a gas stove in my house.

Spirit Walker
12-09-2013, 23:37
Many motels have a picnic area outside. Use that. Many motels have microwaves. If not, make sandwiches. Or cook your main meal at a rest area during the day. Cooking inside with a camp stove is not a good idea.

SunnyWalker
12-09-2013, 23:50
You're trying to save money. However, paying for the motel you burned down might cost a lot more then going out to eat on your trip.

Nodust
12-09-2013, 23:56
Just find a campground. Save money and you will already have the gear with you.

TD55
12-10-2013, 00:42
First post. Will the following ones be this stupid.

putts
12-10-2013, 00:50
I've never experienced a problem cooking in my room. As mentioned, if you burn your food you may have a problem with sprinklers. If you burn down the hotel then you were probably to close to the curtains or something of the sort, but I don't think hotel rooms combust just from lighting up your jetboil. I don't think I lost too many brain cells from the fumes, probably less than I would've lost at the bar had I gone out. If your cooking Thanksgiving diner in there, the fumes may get out of hand - that I don't know, but I'm sure someone will chime in about that.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2013, 01:29
I suppose it depends on the kind of stove you have. A typcial canister stove should be harmless enough. White gas, wood or alcohol, probably not.

But most motel rooms these days at least have a microwave, so just use that.

rayjai
12-10-2013, 01:42
Thank you all, we're trying to do this all in 3 days, Go up Friday after work and return Sunday Night. Camping would be nice, but we don't have the proper cold gear for it.
We probably won't cook in the room, but we might if it's late at night and we want something hot. If we do, we'll be using a JetBoil to cook canned foods and maybe Ramen/rice. Definitely not thanksgiving dinner. lol

Nodust
12-10-2013, 01:46
Thank you all, we're trying to do this all in 3 days, Go up Friday after work and return Sunday Night. Camping would be nice, but we don't have the proper cold gear for it.
We probably won't cook in the room, but we might if it's late at night and we want something hot. If we do, we'll be using a JetBoil to cook canned foods and maybe Ramen/rice. Definitely not thanksgiving dinner. lol

I wouldn't be afraid of using my jet boil inside. Have done it before when testing it. I wouldn't use an alcohol stove though.

Have fun be safe.

theinfamousj
12-10-2013, 01:57
Many motels have a picnic area outside. Use that. Many motels have microwaves. If not, make sandwiches. Or cook your main meal at a rest area during the day. Cooking inside with a camp stove is not a good idea.

This is the correct answer. Even when not on the way to go hiking, I have cooked many a meal in a motel parking lot whole using my JetBoil. If the weather is good, motel staff will at most express impressed curiosity while you cook (though usually they simply don't care).

Walmart patrons, on the other hand... Now they'll give you strange looks. (Yes, I have cooked up dinner in a Walmart parking lot while my road trip compatriots were inside shopping.)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2013, 02:21
It won't set off the sprinkler system. It might set off the smoke alarms, particularly if you are doing more than boiling water. The stove alone might set off CO alarms if they have them. If the room has a door directly to the outside, just cook outside.

rickb
12-10-2013, 03:02

FYI a hike uo Katahdin this weekend would most likely require camping and more time than you have got. The roads inside the park will be closed, right?

Google up Baxter State Park Authority.

Please don't use your stove within a hotel room -- it's just not right.

Trailweaver
12-10-2013, 03:59
Not one mention of it being against the law. If you use a stove in a hotel room, you would most certainly be breaking some law (s) regarding creating a fire hazard. Your troubles can multiply quickly when charged with multiple counts if someone is injured, the room (s) damaged, etc. I certainly wouldn't risk that jail/prison time as a way to save money or time! It would most likely be a felony charge.

peakbagger
12-10-2013, 08:44
If the plan is Katahdin anytime before the park reopens in June, then winter rules apply. The gates are closed and the road isn't plowed (They have had some early snow but it may not be plowable yet), thus you are parking on the Golden Road and doing a 20 mile day hike to climb the mountain as there is no camping in the park this time of year. I believe you also need to obtain a winter day use permit at park headquarters. If the conditions are like in NH currently bring full winter gear including crampons and the required equipment that BSP requires.

With regard to cooking in a hotel room, its stupid idea, stoves tend to reflect heat downwards and its highly likely that the predominantly synthetic surfaces in typical hotel room will be damaged.

Do yourself a favor practice in the whites winter hiking and once you get it down after a year or to, then think about katahdin in winter.

Starchild
12-10-2013, 09:18
You might consider a electric stove, camp stoves are not made to run indoors.

Also while you may be going to be hiking Baxter Peak, the trail head for Katahdin starts at Springer Mt GA ;)

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 10:27
I wouldn't be afraid of using my jet boil inside. Have done it before when testing it. I wouldn't use an alcohol stove though.

Have fun be safe. Yeah, me too, despite the fear-factor thing in this thread, using a jetboil on a hard-surface, like granite-top sink or even better, in the porceline bathtub is safe. The CO coming off a small stove like a jetboil is insignificant in a larger volume room like a hotel room, and the fire danger using it in a bathtub is zero as long as you use the most basic of cautions (like make sure the shower curtain is nowhere close). I don't think I'd use any other stove personally, though.

drifter
12-10-2013, 10:59
Please tell me you are kidding? Not a good idea at all - as others have said please cook outside, pack sandwiches, whatever. Would you really want folks using stoves and cooking if you owned the motel? Regardless of how careful you might be you should not take chances - would be great PR news for the hiking community if the motel burns down.

mikec
12-10-2013, 11:15
I've stayed in motels while section hiking in the past. What I do is go outside and find either a vacant parking spot or other area while concrete/asphalt and boil water out there. Then I bring the water back inside and make my food. Depending on the stove, I may leave it outside to cool. This has worked for me. I would never use a camp stove in a motel room.

capehiker
12-10-2013, 11:17
Wait....you're going to Katahdin in December and you don't have any cold gear?

Coffee
12-10-2013, 11:18
It is better to cook outside in the parking lot for liability reasons. For those who have liability (umbrella) insurance policies, they generally exclude gross negligence or any activity resulting in a conviction which I could see happening if a motel burns down after a stove accident.

fiddlehead
12-10-2013, 11:24

I don't see the problem here.
I like my coffee and have often fired up my canister stove in a hotel room.
Never realized there were people thinking that was stupid.
But I guess on whiteblaze, there are all kinds.
Whatever.

max patch
12-10-2013, 11:42
What kind of hotels is everybody staying at that doesn't have coffee????!!!!!!!

leaftye
12-10-2013, 12:04
I've cooked inside many times and would do it again, although it's usually just freezer bag cooking or heating a frozen meal. Burn down the hotel, really?? Don't even think of using one of these indoors. /s

http://i.imgur.com/UrhNNn6l.jpg

Nodust
12-10-2013, 12:07
Wait....you're going to Katahdin in December and you don't have any cold gear?

I was thinking the same thing.

Slo-go'en
12-10-2013, 14:41
He didn't say WHEN they were going. Although the "no cold weather gear' comment might imply thier not planning to go in July :)

In any event, this guy hasn't really thought out the logistics. Do it in 3 days, leaving Friday night? Lets assume he lives in the NYC area of NY. That's 5 hours just to get to Boston, then another 4-5 hours to get to Millinocket. So, leaving Friday night they might reach the trail head by dawn Saturday. Now they have to do a difficult, 20 mile hike after driving all night. Good luck with that.

Cookerhiker
12-10-2013, 14:42
What I fail to understand from those of you who say it'll work or it's OK or it's safe or you've done it is why you don't consider the need to extend the simple, common courtesy of ascertaining whether the motel permits it or not. It's not a matter if you "can get away with it." Most motel guests do not bring their own gas stoves. Don't assume the motel will allow it. Ask.:rolleyes:

TD55
12-10-2013, 15:30
The OP mentioned "gas camp stoves" and was not specific.

Coffee
12-10-2013, 15:40
The OP mentioned "gas camp stoves" and was not specific.

He later referenced that he would be using a Jetboil.

Mags
12-10-2013, 16:09
Oh bother.

Just cook just outside your door if it is a motel. Usually it is concrete.

The owner will be happy.
You can still be frugal.
We may yet avoid a multi-page thread!

(Or read the 8+ pages on cheap McDs meals. :D)

rayjai
12-10-2013, 20:07
I really like reading everyones input it's quite funny. I know it sounds like a dumb question but it was something that crossed my mind. I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time and finally decided to start it was a dumb question lol

I probably won't cook(heat up) food in the hotel room, but I was just wondering if it would set off alarms. Back in High School we had a birthday cake in the hotel the staff knocked on our door because of the smoke from the candles. I wasn't sure if the gas would do the same.

Yes I am from NYC, but I will be in Boston that week.

I don't have the proper gear for camping in the cold, but I have proper hiking gear for winter hikes.

I've been to knife edge before and we did the same 3 day trip 2 years ago but in the summer. We want to go again to admire the view in winter. Depending on the conditions we may or may not go up Knife Edge.

All we ate last time were MREs and Instant Noodles, we're not trying to be cheap, we just want to to save time.

I didn't think the park would be closed in the winter, I thought it would be an all season thing, thanks for the heads up, I'll look this up.

(looked it up) Aw that sucks, but some roads are still open and we still want to check out the scenery.

Thank you all for your input and concerns.

rayjai
12-10-2013, 20:19
I wish I could edit my post to fix some typos and errors.

bfayer
12-10-2013, 20:32
I wish I could edit my post to fix some typos and errors.

If you were a donating member you could.

Alligator
12-10-2013, 20:44
While your stove might not set off the detector, in residential buildings it is recommended to not place a smoke detector in the kitchen. See near the bottom here (http://www.brkelectronics.com/faqs/diy/recommended_locations_for_smoke_alarms). They don't operate well, cooking tends to set them off. If the detector goes off the fire department will come and you will be inconvenienced to say the least.

rocketsocks
12-10-2013, 20:56
Ask for a smoking room, and you should be ok to cook.

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2013, 22:21
Actually Mags nails it and as my background is in designing fire systems the Sprinkler heads are 135/155/175/200 I rarely see 135 anymore because we use 145° to remove Bed Bugs. So we have to ask then Styrofoam cup it off with a 1 inch thick of Styrofoam They work on heat alone at the ceiling. Boiling water generally doesn't set off fire systems. Imagine a hot steamy shower setting off a alarm. You know burnt toast can create a false alarm so commercial units use several modes of detection rate of rise (speed of heating) as well as optical light off a mirrored surface. Most Motels have Microwave and a drip coffee maker.

I have never had an issue taking it just outside and use a crappy chair. Works in the rain too.

Home Fires
12-10-2013, 23:14
I set off the alarm in our cabin on a cruise ship by using a flat iron on my not-dry-enough hair. The cabin steward was not amused.

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2013, 23:47
Yea that happens here at a local college - the smoke sensor in the bathroom is frequently set of by the burnt hair of a hair dryer,,,, (badly located)

Slo-go'en
12-11-2013, 00:02
If your going to be in Boston, just coming up the Whites would be a more reasonable trip and one which might succed. You will need crampons and an ice axe might be handy. The trails are ice flows right now, top to bottom. It will also be cold - expect sub zero wind chills any where you get into a open spot. First real snow storm might show up Sunday. Then we'll have snow over ice and that will be lots of fun...

Kaptain Kangaroo
12-11-2013, 03:08
Apart from safety issues, I would suggested that you simply ask the hotel owner/manager if you are allowed to cook in the room. If they say yes, then you're good. If the answer is no, then respect their wishes & make them happy to host hikers again.

cheers,

Kaptain

rocketsocks
12-11-2013, 06:33
Apart from safety issues, I would suggested that you simply ask the hotel owner/manager if you are allowed to cook in the room. If they say yes, then you're good. If the answer is no.....

Kaptain [my caveat]

.....then cook in the bath tub so you don't burn the place down.

dmax
12-11-2013, 08:56
I'm pretty sure the back of the door says no cooking in a room.
The last time I did it probably won't be the last time....

squeezebox
12-11-2013, 09:19
generally never leave a camp stove unattended.

peakbagger
12-11-2013, 09:45
MREs don't require a stove. Just add water to the heater bag and they self cook.

gpburdelljr
12-11-2013, 15:19
Cooking on an open flame in a motel room is asking to be included on a future Darwin Award list.

yushan
12-11-2013, 15:32
You would be subjecting everyone else staying at the motel to a fire risk, not just yourself. Just don't do it.

msupple
12-11-2013, 15:55

Will the rest of yours be this rude?

colorado_rob
12-11-2013, 16:32
Will the rest of yours be this rude?
Yeah, really. I guess I’m REALLY dumb because it was a good question. OK, I’m going to be just as rude:
It boggles my mind how people with any brains whatsoever could think that a small canister stove, like a jetboil, used on a hard surface like a bathtub of tile bathroom floor could be in any way, even REMOTELY dangerous. These are the same hotels that allows smokers in some of the rooms. Smoking, like in bed, with butts likely thrown in the trash can, fully allowed, yet a jetboil on a tile floor might kill women and children????? Use your brains folks. Right. And do you really think there is significant CO from these puppies? Nope. Not even close. Light one in a small bathroom sometime and put a CO detector in there if you don’t believe me.

Dogwood
12-11-2013, 18:20
Rayjai, welcome to WB. Don't mind all the sniping. Some of us would be better off if we were to get away from the keyboard more often. If you have a small isobutane canister stove, like a JetBoil, are simply boiling some water, and have a modicum of wits, you should be fine. I use my Sneak Peak isocanisters and Snow Peak Lite Max stove and trail cookware on rare occasions to quickly heat up some water in a large hotel room (not in severely enclosed environments) to save some food money on trips. Don't burn counters or start fires and use some ventilation common sense. Of course you should be mindful of the motel's property; I think you knew that without having to be told.

Also, if you're just trying to get some boiled/hot water to make some in room meals that can be had in many ways that do not require sparking up a stove ie; 1) check the hot water tap in the room(might be HOT enough water to make a meal) 2) some motel rooms or the lobby area are equipped with microwaves 3) check the hotel lobby or room for a coffee maker/pot U can boil water in using the coffee maker 4) some motels have HOT WATER spigots(like on coffee machines) in hotel lobbies, ASK the concierage or front desk clerk about obtaining some hot water for meals 4) if there's a convenience store or restaurant near the motel they'll have HOT WATER spigots as well(like on coffee making machines). I've gotten some HOT WATER from restaurants and convenience stores several times to warm up/cook a meal. I've never been turned down after first asking for it. DON'T TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF or become complacent and you'll find an easy, SAFE, and cost effective enough way to make some food to save some do re mi.

You should absolutely contact Baxter SP about conditions and closures RIGHT BEFORE heading there from Boston. It's NOT just about doing Knife's Edge either. Baxter SP Rangers sometimes closes the hiking route(s) to the the Mt K summit as well as the roads into the park. The Rangers may also check out your "winter hiking gear" and "winter hiking readiness." It's not summer conditions. They don't have to allow you to go up to higher/highest elevations. Trying to help.

msupple
12-11-2013, 20:39
Yeah, really. I guess I’m REALLY dumb because it was a good question. OK, I’m going to be just as rude:
It boggles my mind how people with any brains whatsoever could think that a small canister stove, like a jetboil, used on a hard surface like a bathtub of tile bathroom floor could be in any way, even REMOTELY dangerous. These are the same hotels that allows smokers in some of the rooms. Smoking, like in bed, with butts likely thrown in the trash can, fully allowed, yet a jetboil on a tile floor might kill women and children????? Use your brains folks. Right. And do you really think there is significant CO from these puppies? Nope. Not even close. Light one in a small bathroom sometime and put a CO detector in there if you don’t believe me.

I wasn't questioning your opinion if it was a good or bad idea...in fact I pretty much agree, its not such a great idea. I was questioning why you felt it necessary to call the op stupid. BTW...I've burned just about very type of backpacking stove known to man, with the possible exception of a wood burner, inside my house and I'm still alive and my house is still standing. Not too sure if I suffered any drain bamage.

Dogwood
12-11-2013, 20:57
"Not too sure if I suffered any drain bamage."

gee, da Guess yous were wearing an WB Poster tested an approved ba ah sarfty hemet.:D

Drybones
12-11-2013, 21:57
When the wife is gone I use my alcohol stove to make a single cup of coffee in the house, set it up on the kitchen stove. I don't see an issue if you use it somewhere like on the bathroom floor where you have tile and put it away from any carpet. If using a gas kitchen stove doesn't cause an alarm when cooking a small gas stove shouldn't, just dont put it near something flamable.

CalebJ
12-11-2013, 23:40
I agree with what several others have stated - a canister stove is no problem. At home, I'll light up an alcohol stove in the kitchen while testing without worrying about it. Not sure I'd do that in a hotel room though. Definitely don't use a white gas stove though. The priming phase alone is sketchy enough to make it a bad idea.

daddytwosticks
12-12-2013, 08:16
When the wife is gone I use my alcohol stove to make a single cup of coffee in the house, set it up on the kitchen stove. I don't see an issue if you use it somewhere like on the bathroom floor where you have tile and put it away from any carpet. If using a gas kitchen stove doesn't cause an alarm when cooking a small gas stove shouldn't, just dont put it near something flamable. Ha! This is what I do when I experiment with hiking stoves/cooking...right on the stovetop at home! :)

Mags
12-12-2013, 09:22
AS others said, just ask first. :)

If they say no, light it up outside the door.
If they say yes, use the precautions listed.

Not that difficult, really.

Siarl
12-12-2013, 14:08
I manage the front desk of a hotel and resort. Just from personal experience with guests. Eating in a room is fine and expected. However, if we find people cooking in the rooms with so much as a hot plate, the fine is $100. If there is damage it's what ever it costs to repair the damage. We had a guest cook right outside the room on the boardwalk. Their gas stove/contraption burnt the boards and almost caught the eaves on fire. If people want to camp out, then great, we have tent sites available but camping out in the room is not appropriate or considerate. Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. If a guest walks in and smells smoke, food odors etc, they walk right back out. That room is not rentable thereafter for days.

On a more common sense approach. Cooking with gas in an enclosed room, it's not a house folks with normal ventilation, it's A room. You are asking for a more permanent night's sleep. You could very well be cooking one minute and then you're asleep the next. You won't even recognize what is happening. Good luck with that.

ladytaz
12-12-2013, 16:36
I own a mom and pop motel. I would say no to this if asked (If people have an accident you will get sued although its there fought). Im sure people do God knows what in the rooms with out asking though. I do provide a covered pavilion with grills. http://laurelparkinn.com/rooms.html

Venchka
12-12-2013, 17:11
Common sense has been bred out of several generations.

Wayne

yushan
12-12-2013, 23:18
Here is the official answer to Jetboil on where to use it:

Thank you for your email. The cooking system does produce minimal amounts of carbon monoxide due to the burning of the isobutane and propane fuel mixture so we recommend never using the appliance in an enclosed space such as a camper, tent, car or home without the proper ventilation for the vapors.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2013, 23:29
You would be subjecting everyone else staying at the motel to a fire risk, not just yourself. Just don't do it. - nope. not since MGM Grand.

Yup done that... Had to find out how much Carbon Monoxide was there. It was a good test in my bathroom in my own house and it tested the detector and it turned out the detector detected a tiny amount of monoxide that wasn't significant. Most smokers have to sneak or stand outside.. Keep in mind the outstanding computer driven Smoke alarms and of course our wonderful volunteer fire service are there for you... Maybe we are on the same page... and don't worry I too have been on a few soap boxes here.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2013, 23:38
I manage the front desk of a hotel and resort. Just from personal experience with guests. Eating in a room is fine and expected. However, if we find people cooking in the rooms with so much as a hot plate, the fine is $100. If there is damage it's what ever it costs to repair the damage. We had a guest cook right outside the room on the boardwalk. Their gas stove/contraption burnt the boards and almost caught the eaves on fire. If people want to camp out, then great, we have tent sites available but camping out in the room is not appropriate or considerate. Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. If a guest walks in and smells smoke, food odors etc, they walk right back out. That room is not rentable thereafter for days.

On a more common sense approach. Cooking with gas in an enclosed room, it's not a house folks with normal ventilation, it's A room. You are asking for a more permanent night's sleep. You could very well be cooking one minute and then you're asleep the next. You won't even recognize what is happening. Good luck with that.

Carbon Monoxide Fatalities by Manner of Death, Missouri 2001-2011 (http://health.mo.gov/living/environment/carbonmonoxide/pdf/co1.pdf)
Fires are the most common cause of the 198 accidental carbon monoxide fatalities in calendar years 2001-2011 comprising 76 or 38.4% of the deaths. Other sources of accidental carbon monoxide deaths were from vehicles accidentally left running indoors (43 or 21.7%), faulty furnaces (20 or 10.1%), generators (18 or 9.1%), portable heaters (7 or 3.5%), unventilated power equipment such as lawn mowers and power washers (5 or 2.5%), charcoal grills used indoors (3 or 1.5%), household appliances such as dryers or water heaters (1 or .5%) and industrial machines (1 or .5%). Source of exposure was unknown in 24 (12.1%) of fatal cases

I looked up National and that was three deaths in 2009 that were from gas sources as described... a micro amount of people - and as sad as it is - insignificant. I have personally heard of more folk doing themselves in with kingsford charcoal in tents.

Smoke is also difficult to eliminate from the room. - Yes there we can agree - it's called knowledge.... this $500 machine can remove heavy pot - cigarette and smoke from any room in 4-6 hours... occupancy can be done in 24 hours... after the ozone is blown out... seriously if you don't know call Belfor or Serve Pro... they can clean rooms.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2013, 23:59
A personal thank you to you all my son just summed it up with this video - give it a few minutes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

shelb
12-13-2013, 00:13
Cute video! Kudo's to your son!

However, I have no problem using a Jet Boil to make coffee or boil water in my home. Cooking - now that would be a different story because that brings the potential to burn food .... and property.

grayfox
12-13-2013, 14:52
Nice WOO--I'll be running that tune in my head all day now! I once used my candle lantern to warn up a can of soup in a hotel room. The maid must have thought I was really poor because she left me a whole bunch of those complimentary soaps and shampoos when she cleaned the next day!!! But yeah, I got to agree it's not the smartest thing to do.