PDA

View Full Version : Light weight vs. Compactor pack liners

levibarry
12-10-2013, 02:30
Has anyone used one of the light weight (z-packs dry bag for instance) pack
liner. I have been thinking on getting something that should last longer on a
thru hike. Might help not having to change out the liner very much.

Levibarry

leaftye
12-10-2013, 07:17
I don't think cuben fiber is the way to go for longevity, at least not for something used like a stuff sack.

garlic08
12-10-2013, 08:19
I wouldn't consider it. Durability hasn't been an issue for me. I have not had to change out my compactor bag liner on any of several thru hikes. Once or twice I've had to make a duct tape patch, and that's worked fine.

Coffee
12-10-2013, 09:01
I have a zpacks cuben liner and have had no problems with it after using it about 30 days this year. I would have gone with a compactor bag but couldn't find any unscented bags anywhere.

Turk6177
12-10-2013, 10:27
I use a contractor's grade trash bag that I cut down to be just a little taller than my backpack. I load all my stuff and roll the top over, tucking it into the backpack. I have yet to have any water leak into my stuff. I should note, I also use a dry bag stuff sack for my down sleeping bag and sleeping clothes. I don't think much more is important to keep dry than those items. I use cuben fiber bags for my water filter, junk drawer (med kit, head lamp, toilet paper, medicine, etc) and as my food bag (only because I heard mice don't like to chew through it, although it may be a myth, who knows). If you really want to save weight, throw out the paracord which gets soaked with water and get some dyneema from Z-Packs for your bear line. I think that literally saved me three ounces dry.

Namtrag
12-10-2013, 10:36
Can someone let me in on why you would need a liner if you have a rain cover for your pack? Is it just in case of a flooding rain? We have a couple of guys we do weekend trips with who use garbage bags to line their packs, and it seems strange to me.

Mobius
12-10-2013, 10:55
Can someone let me in on why you would need a liner if you have a rain cover for your pack? Is it just in case of a flooding rain? We have a couple of guys we do weekend trips with who use garbage bags to line their packs, and it seems strange to me.

A pack cover only keeps a pack mostly-dry. I put my down bag (loose, not in a stuff sack) and dry camp clothes in the compactor bag. The rest of the stuff in my pack (tent, pad, food bag) gets stuffed in around it. I don't trust the pack cover alone to keep my down items dry. Defense in depth! It works well, especially in heavy continuous rain. My pack cover is blaze orange so I have it on during hunting season even when it's not raining. It also serves as a nice dry/non-snowy place to set my pack down while I get the tent set up. (And it hides all the miscellaneous junk I might I have in that mesh compartment!)

Namtrag
12-10-2013, 11:05
A pack cover only keeps a pack mostly-dry. I put my down bag (loose, not in a stuff sack) and dry camp clothes in the compactor bag. The rest of the stuff in my pack (tent, pad, food bag) gets stuffed in around it. I don't trust the pack cover alone to keep my down items dry. Defense in depth! It works well, especially in heavy continuous rain. My pack cover is blaze orange so I have it on during hunting season even when it's not raining. It also serves as a nice dry/non-snowy place to set my pack down while I get the tent set up. (And it hides all the miscellaneous junk I might I have in that mesh compartment!)

Thanks, sounds like something to start doing myself too! Especially if I know the weather will be foul on my trip.

CarlZ993
12-10-2013, 11:20
A pack cover may help things stay 'less wet.' On a hike in cold & wet conditions, it is imperative that extra clothing & sleeping bags stay dry. I do the 'overkill' approach - pack cover (sylnylon), trash compactor pack liner, & waterproof sylnylon bags for my sleeping bag & clothing. It all stayed dry on my AT thru-hike this year.

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 11:27
A pack cover may help things stay 'less wet.' On a hike in cold & wet conditions, it is imperative that extra clothing & sleeping bags stay dry. I do the 'overkill' approach - pack cover (sylnylon), trash compactor pack liner, & waterproof sylnylon bags for my sleeping bag & clothing. It all stayed dry on my AT thru-hike this year. This is my exact M.O. and result. the pack cover is only the first line of defense. I found that one trash-compactor bag lasts about 6 weeks before the small tears get too annoying to repair. I put new ones in my mail-drops to "refresh".

kunzman
12-10-2013, 11:40
I use a sil nylon pack cover when raining and my clothes, tent, sleeping bag, and neo-air pad are put in a pump sack which lines my bag. It has three uses: it pumps, converts pad to seat, and is a liner.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/neoair-pump-sack/product

leaftye
12-10-2013, 12:06
My poncho is my pack cover. My pack will still get wet, but less so. It's part of a layered system. Umbrella, poncho, pack, pack liner, plus one big stuff sack for clothes and quilt.

snail2010
12-10-2013, 13:40
A pack cover may help things stay 'less wet.' On a hike in cold & wet conditions, it is imperative that extra clothing & sleeping bags stay dry. I do the 'overkill' approach - pack cover (sylnylon), trash compactor pack liner, & waterproof sylnylon bags for my sleeping bag & clothing. It all stayed dry on my AT thru-hike this year.

The compactor bag as a liner is also great if the bottom of your pack inadvertently comes in contact with flowing water, such as a slip during a water crossing or a roll down a hill.

levibarry
12-10-2013, 13:45
Thanks everyone for the reply's and ideas. I will just
get a box of trash compactor bags and go that route.
HYOH

Levibarry

OCDave
12-10-2013, 13:48
I have used both compactor bags and the Z-Packs CF liner in my ULA Catalyst. I prefer the Z-packs CF liner. Velcro closure, roll-top and clips all work to keep a tidy package. It also seems to fit my pack better. I also have the Blast rool-top food bag. I like both these items to a degree that a purchased a second set for my oldest son/ hiking partner.

Then again- $40 vs $0.40. Dependng on your needs, there are many, many that those extra dollars might be better spent.

Good Luck

Firefighter503
12-11-2013, 06:45
I have used both compactor bags and the Z-Packs CF liner in my ULA Catalyst. I prefer the Z-packs CF liner. Velcro closure, roll-top and clips all work to keep a tidy package. It also seems to fit my pack better. I also have the Blast rool-top food bag. I like both these items to a degree that a purchased a second set for my oldest son/ hiking partner.

Then again- $40 vs $0.40. Dependng on your needs, there are many, many that those extra dollars might be better spent.

Good Luck

My exact thoughts.

Don H
12-11-2013, 07:33
I use three Sea to Summit UL dry bags instead of a pack liner and pack cover. 1 for my sleeping bag, 1 for clothes and 1 for food. Never had my stuff get wet.
Think about it, you're probably already putting these items in stuff sacks, why not use UL dry bags instead.

Malto
12-11-2013, 14:28
I wouldn't consider it. Durability hasn't been an issue for me. I have not had to change out my compactor bag liner on any of several thru hikes. Once or twice I've had to make a duct tape patch, and that's worked fine.

Agree with Garlic.

Would add that anyone who has taken an inadvertent swim during a stream crossing will quickly understand the value of a pack liner vs. cover. I have had two swims and in both cases all of my gear in the pack stayed dry.

garlic08
12-12-2013, 08:59
Yeah, I've had to intentionally float my pack in deep water before. I wouldn't want to submerge it for more than a few seconds, but the compactor bag has worked fine in deep water.

Since my pack is silnylon and dries quickly, I don't bother with a pack cover anymore. I have utmost confidence in the plastic liner by itself, as long as it's closed fairly well. I also check for leaks before possible immersion, and even before a wet day. I usually pack the silnylon tarp on top of the rolled up seam and tuck in the edges, just in case.

Namtrag
12-12-2013, 14:26
what keeps the compactor bag sealed so water doesn't go through the open end? Seems like even if you rolled it down or used a twist tie of some sort, it would still allow water in if it floated for a while in a creek.

CarlZ993
12-12-2013, 15:06
what keeps the compactor bag sealed so water doesn't go through the open end? Seems like even if you rolled it down or used a twist tie of some sort, it would still allow water in if it floated for a while in a creek.
I've never floated my pack. But, I think it would hold up okay for a while. I twist an elephant snout on the top of the compactor bag, fold the end back on itself, & secure it with a stretch cord loop.

skell23
12-12-2013, 22:21
Get a couple of your wife's/Girlfriend's rubber bands that she uses to make a pony tail and use to secure the top of the bag. Keep a couple in your pack - they come in handy.

jimmyjam
12-12-2013, 23:18
Just take the excess bag, twist it several times so it makes what looks like an elephant's snout. Then fold the snout in half and put a rubber band over the folded snout. It will not leak. I have walked for two days in solid downpours and my stuff was dry.

grayfox
12-13-2013, 15:10

Well, there a couple of different takes on this:

1) If you have a lot of extra material at the top, twist it into an elephant trunk like thing which you can bend and tuck down alongside the bag.

2) You can roll the top down tightly and then tuck the ends down on the sides of the bag--pile other gear on top of the roll and hope for the best.

There are also some XL and XXL ziplock bags that work ok if they fit your pack.

As long as your pack is 'floating' it should be ok. When it is 'sinking' then I would worry.

clb
12-21-2013, 19:32
Just take the excess bag, twist it several times so it makes what looks like an elephant's snout. Then fold the snout in half and put a rubber band over the folded snout. It will not leak. I have walked for two days in solid downpours and my stuff was dry.

Exactly, my mail carrier uses the wider ones to deliver mail, so I have a steady supply.

Matt65
12-22-2013, 01:50
There are also some XL and XXL ziplock bags that work ok if they fit your pack.

Yes, These are what I use.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=XL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RockDoc
12-28-2013, 21:24
turkey baster bags. Very tough.

Namtrag
04-30-2014, 12:33
So, reviving this thread to ask people where to buy compactor bags. Lowe's had only a huge box that cost quite a bit. None of the grocery stores, Walmart, or Target seem to carry them around my area. Help!!!

jimmyjam
04-30-2014, 12:49
So, reviving this thread to ask people where to buy compactor bags. Lowe's had only a huge box that cost quite a bit. None of the grocery stores, Walmart, or Target seem to carry them around my area. Help!!!

try Sears or Kmart.

Odd Man Out
04-30-2014, 13:43
My local hardware store had a box of 5 for a few bucks, but I got the last box.

After getting them I wondered if they weren't over-kill. If the only thing I need to put in there is my sleeping bag and clothes bag, does it need to be that big. And is it heavier than necessary? Would a regular plastic garbage bag work as well? Anyone had luck with a light-weight AND low cost option?

bamboo bob
04-30-2014, 13:47

I think rain covers are a waste of money. I use waterproof stuff sacks for everything and then I don't need a trash bag liner or a rain cover. Yes my pack gets wet but it drys very fast, something that doesn't happen with a pack cover. They also don't work in most wet conditions.

Akela
04-30-2014, 13:50
Costco sometimes have them

OCDave
04-30-2014, 15:12
I think rain covers are a waste of money. I use waterproof stuff sacks for everything and then I don't need a trash bag liner or a rain cover. Yes my pack gets wet but it drys very fast, something that doesn't happen with a pack cover. They also don't work in most wet conditions.

I disagree. I am using a Go Lite pack cover (3 oz/ $15) and a Z-Pack Cuben Fiber liner (2 oz/ $40) with my ULA Catalyst. While the liner protects my sleeping gear and clothes, the pack cover prevents anything outside the liner , including my pack and tarp, from becoming saturated and heavy with precipitation. The pack cover sheds water quickly and dries considerably faster than would my soaked pack and outside pack equipment.

I consider my pack cover wt and money well spent. Plus, I have yet to find the store that is giving away the weightless, waterproof stuff sacks.

nastynate
04-30-2014, 16:13

Got my box from ace hardware. 5 pack of unscented. It was just a few bucks.

Namtrag
04-30-2014, 16:32
Cool, there is one of those here in town! I also have the K-Mart close by to check.

Dogwood
04-30-2014, 17:14
I disagree. I am using a Go Lite pack cover (3 oz/ $15) and a Z-Pack Cuben Fiber liner (2 oz/ $40) with my ULA Catalyst. While the liner protects my sleeping gear and clothes, the pack cover prevents anything outside the liner , including my pack and tarp, from becoming saturated and heavy with precipitation. The pack cover sheds water quickly and dries considerably faster than would my soaked pack and outside pack equipment.

I consider my pack cover wt and money well spent. Plus, I have yet to find the store that is giving away the weightless, waterproof stuff sacks.

This CAN be what I also do. It really depends on how much moisture I think I will experience.

Heck, we keep getting into limiting our choices through either/or scenarios. It doesn't have to be a yes or no choice or this or that choice. I notice it with hiking shoes verse boots, pack cover verse pack liners verse WP stuff sacks verse some combination, etc. I like to keep my options open. I try to think outside the norms while not ignoring the possible well thought out reasons why the norms exist.

For example, I might just go with a pack cover, no cover at all, just a pack liner, just WP stuff sacks (for sleeping bag, electronics, food, etc), or some combination. At times, I've used WP stuff sacks, pack liner(lg turkey basting bag or trash compactor bag or Z-packs Cuben pack liner), and pack cover and that's after DWRing my Dyneema backpacks. I don't like my backpack soaking up moisture! I often like storing things on the outside of my backpack in the side pockets, rear shovel pocket, and hipbelt pockets I do not want to get wet(and don't want to have all these things in seperate WP stuff sackson the ouside of my backpack). Storing gear in outside pockets affords me a lower volume/smaller backpack(and hopefully lower wt backpack). I rely on those outside pocket storage areas AND not just for gear that I'm willing to let get wet so sometimes that pack cover, while not being totally WP for everthing stored on the inside of my backpack, and certainly not absolutely bone dry WP to everything stored on the outside of the main pack body, I still may use a UL pack cover w/ a pack liner or individual WP stuff sacks for what's stored inside my backpack.

Dogwood
04-30-2014, 17:58
BTW, if you absolutely must attain the lofty .5 -1 oz wt savings, BUT extremely more expensive Zpacks Cuben pack liner, Joe makes his pack liners out of 1.0/sq. yd cuben rather than the thinner cuben of .53/sq yd that he uses for his stuff sacks so his cuben backpack liners are tougher and more durable than say his stuff sacks or even his main body cuben fiber shelter materials. I still have an old cuben pack liner that he made for me in which I think he used 1.23 sq/yd cuben that has lasted me MANY trail miles. Just be careful, IF you're are spurging for the minimal wt savings Zpacks cuben liner, that you don't puncture or severely abraid the cuben and you should definitely get at least one thru-hike out of one of Zpacks cuben fiber pack liners. Nice thing about cuben though is that even if you do get a punture duct tape easily repaires it but there goes your wt savings!