PDA

View Full Version : Heard on whitblaze first

Newb
08-26-2005, 23:08
looks like the Redford/Newman project on the Bryson book has made the big time rumor mill!

From DRUDGE tonight:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/26/MTFH28681_2005-08-26_18-43-11_FLE667259.html

Sly
08-26-2005, 23:18
I think it would awesome to have a major motion picture with Newman and Redford of A Walk in the Woods.

It can't hurt and only create awareness, new blood and contributions etc. especially after the latest from Bushco concerning the National Parks.

saimyoji
08-26-2005, 23:25
I re-read this the other day and I need some help. Is there even enough hiking done in the book to cover a feature length film? Fully half of the book is Bryson narating about ecology, history or some other tangent relating to the trail other than hiking it. His fascinations with bears and trail murders are two things that stand out. Do you think these segments will be done as cut-scenes?

I can't wait to hear Newman say his sign is Cunnilingus.

Lilred
08-27-2005, 00:04
The more I hear about this movie the more I'm liking it. :clap I would love to see another Redford and Newman movie. I had the pleasure of meeting Newman in Florida where I worked. Yes ladies, his eyes are just as blue in person as on the screen. Newman as Katz will be a hoot. I only hope they portray the local townspeople in a better light. More like the trail angels some are rather than what Bryson made up. :cool:

TwoForty
08-27-2005, 01:15
Kathy Bates (sp?) is how I envisioned Mary Ellen.

attroll
08-27-2005, 02:13
If they really did make a movie I am sure that it would create awareness, new blood and contributions and all that stuff.

But my question is how would it impact the trail for the next couple of years after the movie came out. If you think there are hurds of people starting in springer now. What do you think it will be like after the movie is released and everyone thinks they want to give a thru hike a try.

walkin' wally
08-27-2005, 08:43
People have posted on this forum that trail usage went up after Bryson's book was released. I think this movie, if it happens, won't help the wear and tear issues on the trail.
Do AT hikers really want crowds of people on the trail? It seems that is not the reason that we go out there even though solitude is harder to come by then it used to be.

Tin Man
08-27-2005, 10:20
Maybe if Redford and Newman quit the trail early, like Bryson did, viewers will not only be more trail aware, but more aware of how challenging the trail is and just buy the DVD instead of hiking.

saimyoji
08-27-2005, 10:51
Most likely people will adopt Bryson's attitude: You don't have to hike the whole thing to say you've hiked the AT. I foresee many more day/section hikers.

Tin Man
08-27-2005, 11:21
Most likely people will adopt Bryson's attitude: You don't have to hike the whole thing to say you've hiked the AT. I foresee many more day/section hikers.

Inevitably. Dang! :datz

jimmyjob
08-27-2005, 12:02
People have posted on this forum that trail usage went up after Bryson's book was released. I think this movie, if it happens, won't help the wear and tear issues on the trail.
Do AT hikers really want crowds of people on the trail? It seems that is not the reason that we go out there even though solitude is harder to come by then it used to be. i agree think all of the nuts that will show up the March or April after the movie comes out. i hope this does come out until after my hike next year. i want to get away from fast moving society...not camp next to some yuppie on his satellite phone calling his office or yelling at his kids......

i hate to say it, but really hope this movie does not happen. i would be cool at first, but the ramifications would be terrible. In my mind.....<o ="">:p></o>:p>

saimyoji
08-27-2005, 12:04
Inevitably. Dang! :datz
I didn't mean to imply day/section hikers are a negative thing. I am in fact one of them. :eek:

Sly
08-27-2005, 19:24
The number of thru-hikers peaked in 2000, which probably had as much to do with the millenium as A Walk in the Woods, and have been going down steadily since. Most of them probably never made it out of Georgia and if there's another spike, those hikers probably wont either.

In the last ten years I haven't noticed a severe degradation in trail conditions solely caused by hikers.

With federal funds drying up, new blood is needed.

Blue Jay
08-27-2005, 20:45
i want to get away from fast moving society...not camp next to some yuppie on his satellite phone calling his office or yelling at his kids......

Too late already happens all the time. You get used to it.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2005, 20:49
Pick another trail, jimmyjob. The AT is the I-95 of trails. Too many hikers, shelters, hostels, "trail angels", roads, rules, etc. Have a nice hike.

colbys
08-27-2005, 22:07
our worst nightmare is coming true.i agree with lone-wolf.too much stuff out there on the trail.its becoming too commercialized..the movie will cause a flood of people that will be too much for the at to bear...

then again if they film the movie they better actually use the at to film it and not some other trail..and they better use some real trail celebs..maybe wingfoot in a cameo or waren doyle? who could we get to play lone wolf? starring lonewolf:as himself!!
maybe when they film it they will decide to do it in the summer during real thru-hiker season..imagine walking over a bald in tennessee and coming right into a closed movie set?

Tin Man
08-27-2005, 22:25
imagine walking over a bald in tennessee and coming right into a closed movie set?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

lightning
08-29-2005, 14:53
so i get to walk thru rain and snow and yelling and scripts--cross rivers and streams and cables and cameras. spend the nite under a tarp, shelter, or an actor's trailer.

DMA, 2000
08-30-2005, 03:31
Saimyogi,
Haven't you ever noticed how badly butchered a well-loved book is when it goes onto the silver screen? It takes a lot of time to tell a story. An example of a REALLY faithful adaptation is Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited", which was not a terribly long book but was a many (like 10?) hour miniseries.
Movies are better adapted from short stories than from novels. So considering that so much of Walk in the Woods is filler and info that doesn't drive the story whatsoever, it could be cut easily while leaving the plottish parts of it to fill a feature length film probably pretty neatly.

Jaybird
08-30-2005, 05:15
[QUOTE=DMA, 2000]Saimyogi,
Haven't you ever noticed how badly butchered a well-loved book is when it goes onto the silver screen?.....blah,blah,blah.............QUOTE]

i know many a THRU-HIKER that would enjoy the 1st swing of the hatchet @ this book! hehehehehehehehe :D

Newb
08-30-2005, 08:58
I hear that they want to "sexy" the plot up a bit. Rather than just hiking, the main characters will be avidly hunting and killing trophy animals along the trail. Also, there will be a love triangle develop with a certain female hiker. Finally, Katz will fall in love with a parcel of land along the trail and return to it to build a Condo development where he will retire and lead tour groups (of no more than 100 people at a time).

Yawn.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2005, 18:18
One thought: The book emphasized so many negative things.....bears, wildlife, crime, bad weather, aches and pains, dirty hostels, rednecks in towns, discomfort, lousy food, horrible hiking companions, and so on.

I see no reason the film version will emphasize this any less. If they can play it for laughs, they'll emphasize it, and let's face it, a lot of the above subjects can be played for easy laughs.

If the film version of Bryson and Katz are seen going thru one horrible experience after another, maybe this will keep people AWAY from the Trail instead of encouraging further use. And if this happened, would it be such a bad thing?

Then again, whitewater rafting in the South skyrocketed after Deliverance came out in '72, and you'd kinda think it would've had the opposite effect.

Go figure.

colbys
08-30-2005, 19:31
yeah maybe it will keep people away from it.ive actually never read the book myself,not going too.

for realizim there going to need actual hikers and thru-hikers right?ahh.my path to hollywwod finally been shown to me.dont extras get like 50-100 bucks a day...enough to pay for a couple nights in the hostel or a couple buffets?