PDA

View Full Version : Winter hiking suggestions - 2-3 weeks

HockeyGirl
12-10-2013, 07:23
As always after a bit of help from the hiking community! :-) I have found myself with a small window of time between 1st Feb and 20th March 2014 to be allowed to go hiking. I would like to go for between 2-3 weeks on a fairly clearly marked trail i.e. the less map reading required the better. I am looking for any suggestions around the USA. I hiked the AT last year and although I'm not at all objectionable to starting at Springer and going north again for a couple weeks, I am worried that even by the 1st week of March it might still be too cold? :-? Can anyone suggest a trail that might be snow free during that time of year? Any suggestions I would be grateful for. Oh, and sorry if this post comes out in an odd format - I can't seem to use the enter key on this site :confused:

Nyte
12-10-2013, 07:39
Florida Trail should be snow free that time of year.

Feral Bill
12-10-2013, 12:45
With reasonable preparation the middle third of the trail has a workable climate that time of year, if you want a winter experience. Otherwise, the desert southwest and the southeast would be good.

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 13:03
. Otherwise, the desert southwest and the southeast would be good. Beat me to it... how about the nice, warm sunny desert southwest? I'd opt for the tail end of your time window though, and there is a chance you'd have some snow, but overall, March in SE Utah is fan-damn-tastic. Holler if you consider this and want some suggestions. A national parks tour with lots of separate multi-day hikes springs to mind. I don't know of any full 2-plus-week routes though.