PDA

View Full Version : Completely new Hiker here!

Kase
12-10-2013, 12:24
Hello all! I'm completely new at this and looking for the best place to start. Is there a thread(s) I should read first to get started? I don't want to ask redundant questions but I have so many! I've been hiking, if you could call it that, but never on long hikes. There are so many choices out there for everything that it is almost overwhelming. Any helpful starting hints or where to look is greatly appreciated.

Also my husband, ex-Army man, is wanting me to get an Alice pack for my backpack. Has anyone, civilian wise, used these and what's your take on them?

Thanks!
Kase

Sandy of PA
12-10-2013, 12:53
Alice is for humping not hiking! Way too heavy. Get your pack last. Welcome, check out the article section for best info. for new hikers.

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2013, 13:01
ALICE (pack) is designed to carry military gear. Civilian packs are designed to carry civilian gear. There are a lot of former (and even active) military folks here who are avid hikers. Virtually NONE would recommend ALICE for hiking.

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2013, 13:08
ALICE (pack) is designed to carry military gear. Civilian packs are designed to carry civilian gear. There are a lot of former (and even active) military folks here who are avid hikers. Virtually NONE would recommend ALICE for hiking.I would add that if he is suggesting an ALICE as the pack, his other gear suggestions such as for sleeping bag, shelter, etc. may also not be the best (and definitely very heavy) for civilian hiking.

Nodust
12-10-2013, 13:15
Get all your gear before the pack. Camp with it using whatever pack he may already have. Stay close to the car and get comfortable with your gear. Then once you have the details ironed out go get a pack you are comfortable with that your gear will fit in.

slbirdnerd
12-10-2013, 13:19
Welcome! You're in a good place and lots of people here have lots of good info, but you have to take your time, don't rush, read patiently and make smart decisions. Don't, and you may waste a lot of time and money only to find out you got all the wrong stuff, have a horrible experience on your first trip or two, and end up hating backpacking. I also agree you should not be using military gear. If you have a backpacking/camping outfitter nearby, go check it out and window shop but don't buy until you've done your research. Also, you don't need a lot of gear to have a good time--that just makes your pack heavy. You could start with some of the articles, or just perusing the posts each day. Happy hiking!

Kase
12-10-2013, 13:19
Thanks! I tended to think that the ALICE pack was a bit bulky but, like I said I'm completely new. I'll check out the article section. I appreciate the help.

Kase
12-10-2013, 13:22
What we are planning on doing are day hikes that will turn into overnights at first. We live very close to a section of the Pinhoti and thought that would be a good place to start. That way I can run back to civilization those first few times if needed. :) I'm very excited but tend to jump to quickly into things.

Rocket Jones
12-10-2013, 13:34
Welcome to WhiteBlaze! Don't neglect to practice with your gear at home. Sleep out in your back yard or porch, cook meals outside with your kitchen gear, take a long walk around the neighborhood in your clothing to test and tweak your backpacking choices. Places like Target and Wally World, or your local thrift shop or Goodwill are great places to find inexpensive and perfectly serviceable clothes and other gear.

Valley Girl
12-10-2013, 13:35
I wished I would have watched more pre/post hike-thru Youtube videos and read more journals before I started purchasing gear. I would have saved time and money on returns. Like others have suggested purchase your pack last and with your gear and clothing, get your torso measured and try different backpacks walk around with it fully loaded. It makes for a fun day at the outfitters:)
Popular packs, IMO are ULA, Osprey and Zpaks, but popular means nothing if it doesn't feel good.

Tipi Walter
12-10-2013, 13:35
I used the ALICE for years as a civilian pack in the early 1980's and it's makes a great pack without the frame if you decide to use it for dayhiking. I routinely used it for many backpacking trips and found it to be comfortable without the frame.

Then again, I'd use what you already have---if not and you're going to go out to purchase something I'd probably get something different than an ALICE. But I would not hesitate to recommend the ALICE as a daypack. It has great shoulder straps.

BTW, if you decide to do more than dayhiking, you will find the backpack to be the most difficult item to get---because it's worn every day with weight and how it fits won't be known until several days on a trail after the purchase.

levibarry
12-10-2013, 13:39
Also look in the forums for gear suggestions. Also as Sandy PA has
suggested get the pack last. Many ways to do things but only one
way counts, that is your way as we all have learned.

Levibarry

Traffic Jam
12-10-2013, 14:06
Basically, get out and hike and you'll figure out what YOU need, and what works best for YOU. You can day hike on just a few basic supplies.

I started hiking in jeans and sneakers. When I progressed to rougher terrain, I bought hiking poles and boots...did the research, asked the questions, got what was best for ME. When I started hiking in rougher weather, I bought better clothes. And it goes on and on and I've only regretted one piece of equipment, my pump style water filter.

Valley Girl
12-10-2013, 14:18
I found this
http://barbonabike.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/the-confession/

Kase
12-10-2013, 15:02
Great link! Thanks!

tf bear
12-10-2013, 21:33
Welcome to WB. Notice there is always gear for sale here. You will tweak and tweak till you are all twerked out with your gear. It is an exciting time to buy gear but take your time and do your research. You will be carrying everything you bring.

Feral Bill
12-11-2013, 00:44
There are some good books. The Complete Walker IV is a bit dated but comprehensive and a good read. There are others, see your public library or a good book store. They will help to better frame your questions on specifics. Also, get out and hike with whatever you have, then start upgrading as needed. Oh yes, welcome!

rocketsocks
12-11-2013, 01:21
What we are planning on doing are day hikes that will turn into overnights at first. We live very close to a section of the Pinhoti and thought that would be a good place to start. That way I can run back to civilization those first few times if needed. :) I'm very excited but tend to jump to quickly into things.I understand what you mean about jumping in to quickly, but in this case don't get to hung up on the gear, most anything will work though there are better choices...be safe, but just get out and hike, the rest will fall into place.

great luck to you, keep asking questions

and welcome to :welcome

now go forth and be merry

Nodust
12-11-2013, 07:08
don't get to hung up on the gear, most anything will work though there are better choices...be safe, but just get out and hike, the rest will fall into place.

That's right. Just get started camping and hiking whenever. Start when the weather is warm and nice first. As you get confidence you will be able to handle the bad weather.

Kase
12-11-2013, 12:17
Thanks for all the welcomes and tips! I really appreciate it. Now to get to reading and researching more. Oh, and hiking!:)

off-pher
12-11-2013, 15:29
first off Welcome to White Blaze. You are in the right place.
You will learn as you hike no one gets it right the first time out.
That alice pack is a good pack however it is not the best or
lightest. You should go to a outfitter and get yourself sized fit is everything with a backpack!
Don't worry so much about having perfect gear. You are no different than anyone else you
will bring to much stuff the first time out all of us do that. You think you need this
and that. We've all been where you are now it's a learning curb it just takes time.
So go with what you now own and hike. Happy trails..........................................

scope
12-11-2013, 16:07
One of the most efficient ways to know what you want and don't want is to get a big pack like the ALICE and fill it with all of the gear you have, whether you'll use it or not, and go for a 10 mile hike on the AT in GA.

Trust me, I know from experience, this method is perhaps the quickest method to knowing exactly what you want and don't want. ;)

prain4u
12-15-2013, 01:15
Welcome!!!!!

I spent 13 years with the military. As far as quality goes, the military gear is often "O.K. or even "good". It gets the job done and you can certainly use it for hiking. However, the military gear is often super heavy (compared to civilian gear) and is designed more for warfare than for hiking on trails. A DIFFERENT EXAMPLE: The old style JEEPS (and the more modern HUMVEES) are great for driving around for "short" distances in places where there are not many paved roads. However, for driving down the highway, there are numerous vehicles that are much more comfortable and much better suited for long-distance highway driving than an Army JEEP or HUMVEE. The same can be said about most military outdoor, camping and hiking gear--it is great for times of war--but probably less-than-ideal for civilian recreational pursuits. (Unless your trails will have people shooting at you or shelling you with mortars)

Happy hiking!

Kc Fiedler
12-15-2013, 15:45
Don't get stuck reading too much. Over analyzing things won't do you much good. There's good advice on here, but the best knowledge you will get is from your own trail and error. No single person's advice will fit you, but you'll find that after you've had time to try and develop your own methods and gear, you'll resonate with a little of everything. I'd highly recommend going out with a friend who has gear that you can borrow and who knows a thing or two about backpacking at least once before jumping in and buying your gear. You need a little personal experience to base your decisions on.