PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the pack during a section hike (OR E)

5th
12-10-2013, 12:52
I'll be section hiking OR section E (Hwy 58 to Hwy 242) next fall, and I would prefer to avoid heavy traffic if I can.

Does the thru-hiker pack stay together this far north or have they generally spread out by then? If they are still a pack, can anyone estimate about when the pack passes through?

I've been hiking in that area for years and mosquitoes do not intimidate me, nor does a lack of water or a little bit of snow, so I'm pretty flexible as long as I can avoid excessive snow (either at the beginning or the end of the season). However I have not spent much time on the PCT in the past 30 years, so I am unfamiliar with any traffic patterns.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered in this regard.

- Tim

map man
12-10-2013, 18:22
August is peak NOBO thru-hiker season in Oregon, such as it is.

postholer.com
12-13-2013, 01:59
I'll be section hiking OR section E (Hwy 58 to Hwy 242) next fall, and I would prefer to avoid heavy traffic if I can.

Does the thru-hiker pack stay together this far north or have they generally spread out by then? If they are still a pack, can anyone estimate about when the pack passes through?

Thru hikers are the least of your concern. 3 Sisters Wilderness is insanely popular, as is the Rosary Lakes area. During August you will be innundated by weekend hikers. Thru's will have very little impact by comparison.

If you really don't mind skeeters or snow, early/mid July will be your best bet.

-postholer