PDA

View Full Version : KiteScreen anyone?

Patrick
08-27-2005, 04:40
Anyone tried one?

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/KiteScreen/index.html

Seems like a fantastic idea. I have a Giga Power stove and think this might be just the thing.

The only possible drawback mentioned is the lack of reflected heat that you get with a metal screen. Any of you smart types think this would be significant?

What about making one from a piece of one of those foil emergency blankets? Would that let you put it closer and reflect some heat back or is that stuff flammable/meltable?

Someone mentioned some type of gardening stake that weighs much less than ti or aluminum tent stakes. I was thinking two of those for the main anchors, then found sticks to make the other struts.

Anyway, seems like a great idea. Also, check out Jim's clothespin canister supports. Genius.

Patrick
08-27-2005, 15:29
No one? Come on, it's been like twelve hours. What else are you people doing with your time on the weekends but sitting in front of the computer?

All right, I'm going to just make one. I swear to God I am. Then you'll be sorry. You'll all be sorry.

kncats
08-27-2005, 16:42
The only possible drawback mentioned is the lack of reflected heat that you get with a metal screen. Any of you smart types think this would be significant?
While I don't use a cannister stove I seem to recall that you aren't suppose to use a metal screen anyway due to overheating of the cannister. Regardless, it seems that any loss of reflected heat would be more than offset by the heat you gained by keeping it from being blown away by the wind.

That's a great website, by the way. Thanks for the link.

Kerosene
08-27-2005, 17:30
I took a look at the website. I think that it could work just fine for a any type of stove. I'll be looking into the Spinnaker nylon due to its weight, but it would be nice to get use something very lightweight and less flammable that I could also use for something else. It seems hard to believe that you couldn't find a few small branches at most places, although it may just be easier to use the dowels.

digger51
08-27-2005, 17:59
I'm thinking of getting a jet boil this year. Would I need a screen like this for it? Isn't it a closed system? Help me out here Jack.

Kerosene
08-27-2005, 20:10
I'm thinking of getting a jet boil this year. Would I need a screen like this for it? Isn't it a closed system? Help me out here Jack.Nope, you don't need a separate windscreen for the Jet Boil, digger51.

Patrick
09-01-2005, 14:37
Finally got around to making this thing last night in silnylon. Might have taken ten minutes. I double stitched everything and reinforced the edges on the sleeve seams. Weight with a tiny mesh bag: a hair under 2 oz. I didn't initially intend to bag it, but it's freaking huge and I had a little one lying around. I made the screen 5' by 1.5'.

I was at the hardware store yesterday and saw dowels. I bought a 3/16 x 48 for $0.42, but won't be using it. The weight is negligible, but the idea of trying to keep two 20+ inches of thin wood intact while hiking is fairly ridiculous. He recommends 3" widths for the sleeves. I estimated (about three fingers), but they're big enough that you can definitely find something to stick in there.

I'm still a little concerned about it being non-reflective. Even on a windless day, it seems that a traditional metal screen would help the stove's efficiency. If there was no wind, seems like the KiteScreen wouldn't really do anything. We'll see, though. Maybe the better wind performance and lighter weight will make up for that. I'll give the full report when I get back.

I agree that it would be nice to find some other use for this crazy thing. Maybe use your bandana? That might get it dirty, though. I wonder if you could configure it to also be your pot stuff sack. That might be the way to go. Some Velcro on the edge or something might let it fold up nice. Sometimes my lid comes off in the stuff sack, so maybe something like this that wraps around would actually be better.

Kerosene
09-01-2005, 14:41
Ooh, I like the pot stuff sack idea.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-01-2005, 15:05
yeah, if you make it out of thin-enough standard cloth it could be a bandana or a towel... pot sack would work... the key is picking something that you won't have need of while you are using this...