PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Thru Gear List - Tear it apart guys and gals

LAF
12-10-2013, 18:14
So this is my first pass at gear for my 2014 thru with a planned start date between 20-25th Mar. Includes what I'll wear as well as carry. Big 4 come in at around 5lbs 7oz

I know the first thing you'll tell me to eliminate and I can see the :rolleyes: but I like having it on the list, at least for now. Already own all the gear, not looking at buying anything else except some new socks and don't plan on using boots, trail shoes instead.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16123 Honest but harsh criticism welcome :)

Drybones
12-10-2013, 19:36
An 8oz knife and a 2oz multitool....get a 2oz or less knife and lose the multitool and save 1/2 lb.
Dont see the need for a rain jacket and a windbreaker.
Overall looks good to me.

Storm
12-10-2013, 19:50
Am I reading that right, your jacket only weighs 2 ounces?

Ercoupe
12-10-2013, 19:52
Campshoes are a luxury.

I prefer straight lightweight pants. Zippers rub on my thighs. Carry light weight gym shorts.

Practice with the slick line, very slippery.

Clean socks to sleep in.

Gaiters?

Airplane mode on phone Battery Life? My partner had issues with his I-phone battery. I prefer a dedicated camera or a basic camera/phone with spare batteries.

Petzel E-lite, has red light for shelter, not a great night hiking light. Good reading light. Very light 1 oz or less, spare batteries are light.

Swiss army classic, toe nail trimmer, file, toothpick, small blade, not sure why you would need pliers, wire cutter.

Sol emergency blanket or tyvek for shelter floor? Or do you plan to use hexamid bathtub floor? Actually you will most likely be in tent most of the time.

May need lightweight cup to scoop water. for filtering.

I only boil water in my Jetboil, never need to hang it.

Microfleece towel to wipe condensation off tent walls.

May have some extra clothes, but could be very cold also in the mountains.

Turk6177
12-10-2013, 20:54
It looks like you have done your research. Of course the knife is going to be mentioned, but we all take things here and there that are not really necessary when we hike. How are you keeping your stuff dry in your backpack? Did I miss a trash bag or some stuff sacks to keep your sleeping clothes and sleeping bag dry? Enjoy your adventure!

Odd Man Out
12-10-2013, 21:47
I always want a sun hat (personal preference)

A bit a Vaseline is a good all purpose ointment for your first aid kit. Plus it doubles as a fire starter.

You will need a water container. Consider an Evernew water carry bladder. It can be a backup for the one that comes with the Sawyer filter. They are available again after being AWOL from stores for some time.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 21:58
A $20 pair of Dirty Girl gators was the best $20 I've spent on hiking gear, weighs nothing and keeps trash out of your shoes.

CarlZ993
12-11-2013, 00:09
The big knife isn't needed. Your multi-tool knife set would easily suffice. The Swiss Army Classic (weight half of the multi-tool) would also suffice.

I didn't see any alcohol gel (Purell) or soap for cleaning hands after the morning constitutional.

Water filters can break or quit working for a variety of reasons. When I've carried a filter, I always carried chemical backup. I was glad I did on a 150M hike in the Sierras when my buddy's filter crapped out (we took his filter as it was lighter).

You can use your AT Guide in sections. You don't have to carry the entire book on the hike. Take what you need & mail your next section when you need it. Be sure to include the pages w/ all the manufacturer's phone numbers throughout your hike. You will need replacements at some point: shoes, hiking poles, tents, etc.

LAF
12-11-2013, 07:29
Thanks all....knife is gone (although I like carrying it) but I'll keep the multi-tool; it's been in my pocket for years (everyday) so I'll take the extra ounce for "sentimental" reasons :) As for the windbreaker (yes, it really does weigh only 2 iz, that and the Montbell Tachyon are quite lite) and rain jacket; sometimes the rain jacket is just too much (I heat up quite easily) and I figured the windbreaker would offer some additional versatility. Good call on both hand sanitizer (I always have a small amount but forgot to list it) and something to scoop water with; I had thought of using the small cup/bowl that comes with the Sol for that (thoughts?) but may be wiser to cut another smart water bottle in half for that. Some light wt gaiters also good call, will have to look into them. And sound advice on backup for water; will add. So 1 big item out, couple small in, probably won't change overall wt.

LAF
12-11-2013, 07:31
It looks like you have done your research. Of course the knife is going to be mentioned, but we all take things here and there that are not really necessary when we hike. How are you keeping your stuff dry in your backpack? Did I miss a trash bag or some stuff sacks to keep your sleeping clothes and sleeping bag dry? Enjoy your adventure!

Forgot to mention that I'm using cuban fiber sacks for sleeping bag, the bear bag is food bag and is cuban as well. And then another cuban sack for clothes.

LAF
12-11-2013, 07:33
I always want a sun hat (personal preference)

A bit a Vaseline is a good all purpose ointment for your first aid kit. Plus it doubles as a fire starter.

You will need a water container. Consider an Evernew water carry bladder. It can be a backup for the one that comes with the Sawyer filter. They are available again after being AWOL from stores for some time.

A bit confused, why do I need an additional h2o container?

fins1838
12-11-2013, 07:46
w
So this is my first pass at gear for my 2014 thru with a planned start date between 20-25th Mar. Includes what I'll wear as well as carry. Big 4 come in at around 5lbs 7oz

I know the first thing you'll tell me to eliminate and I can see the :rolleyes: but I like having it on the list, at least for now. Already own all the gear, not looking at buying anything else except some new socks and don't plan on using boots, trail shoes instead.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16123 Honest but harsh criticism welcome :)

Why in the world would any one leave Grand Cayman :sun

Odd Man Out
12-11-2013, 14:28
A bit confused, why do I need an additional h2o container?

Sorry. I missed the Smart Water Bottles listed under food, so you probably don't need extra water carrying capacity. But consider replacing a water bottle with an Evernew Bladder. It will give you about the same function as a Smart Water Bottle with the added advantage of having a backup in case the Sawyer bladder fails (they have a reputation of breaking). The Evernew Bladders are highly regarded, compatible with the Sawyer threads, and probably don't weigh any more than a water bottle. Plus, when hiking on a section where water is readily available, they fold up and take little room in the pack when not needed.

fireneck
12-12-2013, 14:28
I'd drop the JetBoil stove and make an alcohol stove, fuel is much cheaper and lighter. I would however keep the JetBoil pot, pair with a windscreen (made from heavy duty aluminum foil) it was be pretty efficient.

I don't see the point of gaiters for the AT, it's not like you hit a lot of dusty trail like you do out west.

Good call on taking a beefier headlamp, I can't stand night hiking with a subpar headlamp.

Seriously great looking list!

LAF
12-13-2013, 11:15
w

Why in the world would any one leave Grand Cayman :sun

as much as I love being underwater and teaching and guiding diving (that's what I now do to make a buck), I love my mountains and trees just as much and am in bad need of a good wander above water - didn't say I was leaving the caymans forever :)