PDA

View Full Version : DSLR on Thru Hike! Anyone?

Towhee
12-11-2013, 14:04
Planning my thru-hike, departing for Springer on March 25. I studied video production, and would love to document my adventure. I understand that this plan may fall through if the added weight throws me off, but I can always send gear home. However, this is something I really want to try.

I was wondering if anybody has had any success on carrying the extra weight of a DSLR on a THRU HIKE. Section hikers - I value your input, but would like to hear from anybody who has thru hiked completely with a DSLR setup.

I'm planning to take a Canon T3i with a 18-135mm lens.

Anyway - does anybody have any slinging setup that they would recommend? Quick access to camera? Waterproofing? Can it actually be done? Thanks everybody, this forum has been so helpful.

Also - looking into lightweight fluid head tripod options to carry along. PLEASE save the negative comments - I completely understand the amount of excess weight that will add. I'm willing to try and if it sucks, send her home. If anyone has any suggestions on a setup, that would be great. If not, disregard the tripod question.

Cro-Mag
12-11-2013, 14:46
I completed a thruhike this past year. I saw one thruhiker carrying a DSLR camera (Nikon). I did not see her past NC, but I know she finished. I assume she carried it the entire way. She would sling the camera around her neck, just like if you were walking around the city with no pack on.

Kata makes some unique bags that you might look at. They also have a "quick release" bag that I've seen demoed. http://www.kata-bags.us/photo-by-carrying-type-holsters

I work in video/film production, and was very interested in documenting my hike. I chose to go with a lightweight, point and shoot with full manual options. Unfortunately, the camera broke right after the Smokies (my fault the camera broke :mad:)

I would say go for it! Again, you can always ship it home or bounce it ahead of you and carrying it for a few days, then bounce it ahead again.

What is the tripod for? Long exposures? Would you consider using a monopod? What about the 1/4-20 adapters that can go on top of a trekking pole?

Have you thought about maybe carrying a stabilizer for video? I know...even more weight now!

I hope that helped!

-Salad Days

rhjanes
12-11-2013, 14:55
Ben Benvie did (http://benbenvieblog.com/tag/appalachian-trail/) <<<BTW, click that to see his work

I think his was a Canon 4d Mark II

colorado_rob
12-11-2013, 15:19
I did a SHORT thru hike, the JMT carrying a Canon T1i and that same 18-135mm lens. I did not carry this for my half-AT last year. For my 2nd half AT next year, I recently bought the Canon SL1 DSLR, significantly lighter and smaller than the T1i (and T3i). Instead of the 18-135mm (which I recently sold with the T1i) I will now be carrying the new SL1 kit lens 18-55mm, which all the reviews are saying is tack sharp, along with a 55-250mm zoom. Both of these lenses are image stabilized. I like this setup much better than the single 18-135 simply because I like to have my camera ready, hanging from my neck 90% of the time, and the 18-135 is just too heavy to always have hanging there. The total weight of the 18-55 + 55-250 is just about the same as the 18-135, by the way. The 55-250 will go on my hip in a lightweight pouch, attached to my pack waist belt. I use a “zing” neoprene case to hold my camera; very light, easy to use, just strip if off placing the case on one arm and shoot. Not 100% waterproof, but protects the camera very well. When raining, I simply put it away in my pack. Using IS lenses, I never seem to have much need for a tripod.

Anyway, from one Canon-user to another, that’s my modus operandi.

Towhee
12-11-2013, 15:34
I work in video/film production, and was very interested in documenting my hike. I chose to go with a lightweight, point and shoot with full manual options. Unfortunately, the camera broke right after the Smokies (my fault the camera broke :mad:)

I would say go for it! Again, you can always ship it home or bounce it ahead of you and carrying it for a few days, then bounce it ahead again.

What is the tripod for? Long exposures? Would you consider using a monopod? What about the 1/4-20 adapters that can go on top of a trekking pole?

Have you thought about maybe carrying a stabilizer for video? I know...even more weight now!

-Salad Days

I'm sorry to hear that your camera broke! What a shame! I really like steady long(range) shots, so the fluid head tripod would be necessary if I wanted to do any sort of panning. I thought about monopod style, especially because it would be no added weight if I just used trekking poles, but would really love to have the tripod option. I also love time-lapses so yes, that would be a necessity for those. Thank you for your input!

ChinMusic
12-11-2013, 15:42
I am a serious amateur photographer with some pretty heavy gear. I currently use the Canon 1DX. I could not tolerate it hanging from my neck for very long. What I use for my photog trips is the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=53506&Q=&is=REG&A=details

These attach the D-ring of your pack and do not bother your neck. You will have easy access to your camera. Also use the chest strap of your pack to keep the camera from bouncing.

msupple
12-11-2013, 15:50
Try this... www.melandmikehike.com Mel (click) carried one and would be more than glad to share with you.

MDSection12
12-11-2013, 15:52
I am a serious amateur photographer with some pretty heavy gear. I currently use the Canon 1DX. I could not tolerate it hanging from my neck for very long. What I use for my photog trips is the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=53506&Q=&is=REG&A=details

These attach the D-ring of your pack and do not bother your neck. You will have easy access to your camera. Also use the chest strap of your pack to keep the camera from bouncing.
Thanks for posting, those are awesome!

goody5534
12-11-2013, 17:03
If u wanna hike with a dslr You need this product... amazing is the the only way to describe this product. https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro dont consider hiking with a dslr without this product. ..

ChinMusic
12-11-2013, 17:07
If u wanna hike with a dslr You need this product... amazing is the the only way to describe this product. https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro dont consider hiking with a dslr without this product. ..

I have one of those. I don't use it anymore.

goody5534
12-11-2013, 19:12
I have one of those. I don't use it anymore.
The new capture pro was just released in September(kickstarter funders) and just made avail to public in later november. How long did u use it for and y dont u use it anymore??? Please clarify?

ChinMusic
12-11-2013, 19:36
The new capture pro was just released in September(kickstarter funders) and just made avail to public in later november. How long did u use it for and y dont u use it anymore??? Please clarify?

I had the version through Kickstarter in 2012. It is fine on a leather belt. It is just too much weight on a pack strap. It sags like heck. I only use mine when not carrying a pack.

max patch
12-11-2013, 20:12
Jester carries about 5 pounds of camera equipment when he films his movies. You want something bad enough you'll find a way to carry it.

Second Hand
12-11-2013, 20:44
I have carried a DSLR (Nikon D3100) on 90% of my section hikes. I don't regret the extra weight, but be prepared for the hassle of getting it in and out of the bag as the weather changes...

I recently down sized to the Nikon L320. I'm hoping this will be a nice compromise between weight and quality.

Siarl
12-11-2013, 23:02
I have a Canon T2i and plan on doing an AT thru-hike in 2015. I have asked for suggestions just as you are doing. However, I don't mind the comments about the weight but like yourself, I am full aware of the weight and the gram price in my opinion is worth it. It's just too great of an adventure not to take it with me. I've weighed my small camera slingpack and it weighs 7lbs. I will probably incorporate it somehow into the pack I will be purchasing or I will just pack it in there regardless. I have a year to figure it out but I say take it. I've taken it on rainy days and I would protect it just as if I was out dayhiking in the rain. I will be taking the kit lens and a macro. Good Luck and you will find a way as has been said. I saw some waterproof bags I am considering for protection and those are called Aloksak. Google it and the website should be one of the first ones. They claim they hermetically seal themselves.

CyborgAT
12-11-2013, 23:45
I hiked with a kid in 2012 who carried the Canon 7d. He made it all the way to Katahdin. He had 3 lenses and a tripod. Everything was kept in drysacks. This year on my thru hike I will be carrying a Canon 70d with 3 lenses(Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, and a Rokonin 14mm f/2.8), a tripod and camera slider. My base weight is light so with camera gear I'm just below 30 pounds with food and water. I am carrying my camera and lenses in a chest harness pouch made by Mountainsmith. I will be filming a documentary which is the reason for all the camera gear. I hiked the first 780 miles of the trail in 2012 so I have plenty of trail experience. Looking forward to getting out there.

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2013, 23:55
http://indiandigitalartists.com/landscape-photography-tips/10-most-famous-landscape-photographers/

ChinMusic
12-12-2013, 00:17
I hiked with a kid in 2012 who carried the Canon 7d. He made it all the way to Katahdin. He had 3 lenses and a tripod. Everything was kept in drysacks. This year on my thru hike I will be carrying a Canon 70d with 3 lenses(Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, and a Rokonin 14mm f/2.8), a tripod and camera slider. My base weight is light so with camera gear I'm just below 30 pounds with food and water. I am carrying my camera and lenses in a chest harness pouch made by Mountainsmith. I will be filming a documentary which is the reason for all the camera gear. I hiked the first 780 miles of the trail in 2012 so I have plenty of trail experience. Looking forward to getting out there.

Ditch the 18-35, but that f1.8 is sweet. That 14 covers your wide and has decent low-light coverage. Replace with a macro if you want 3 lenses.

I usu bring an 8-15 f/4, 17-40 f/4, and a 100 f/2.8 macro, for photog trips. I find the 100 macro a better choice than my 70-200 f/2.8 for backpacking trips. I do lose a bit of reach for those wildlife shots.

CyborgAT
12-12-2013, 00:32

Ditch the 18-35, but that f1.8 is sweet. That 14 covers your wide and has decent low-light coverage. Replace with a macro if you want 3 lenses.

I usu bring an 8-15 f/4, 17-40 f/4, and a 100 f/2.8 macro, for photog trips. I find the 100 macro a better choice than my 70-200 f/2.8 for backpacking trips. I do lose a bit of reach for those wildlife shots.
The 24-105 actually is a macro. Not a true "macro" I suppose but it has a macro setting on it which is nice. I like the 18-35 for the 1.8 and it's like the lens was almost made specifically for the 70d. It's almost too perfect for the camera. My friend who is hiking with me is carrying his own set of lenses also with a 70d so I can get him to carry a true macro. I'm not a professional by any means but I have a passion for filming and I'm excited to get this ball rolling. It all started off with my cell phone shooting short YouTube updates for my thru hike attempt in 2012. Now I will filming a documentary. Kind of exciting.

colorado_rob
12-12-2013, 09:21
Regarding all this Canon camera gear being discussed… looks like quite a few of the lenses discussed are Full-frame lenses, meaning they are bigger and heavier than they need to be for the APS-C sensor cameras discussed (70D, T3i, 7D). Basically, wasted glass & lens body producing images way bigger than the sensor that is recording them.
For example, the 17-40L lens mentioned, yeah, GREAT lens for full frame, I own it myself using it on my full frame 6D, but big and heavy and actually, the little 18-55mm EFS STM lens that can be bought for $120 on amazon (white box kit lens take-off) is super sharp, Ken Rockwell even claims sharper than the 17-40L and it weighs on 7 ounces.
http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm (http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm)
Then there is the Canon SL1 body, 13 ounces, uses the same sensor as the T5i plus, coupled with the 18-55 EFS/STM I just mentioned is a fantastic video setup, supposedly the live view focusing with these new STM lenses are the bee’s knees. Total weight of camera and lens maybe 21 ounces. My point is you can have your cake (excellent DSLRT camera & video capability) and eat it too (only about 2 pounds total weight including case, extra battery or two and filters, etc).
Most people are married to their gear, but I recently saw the light and sold my heavier stuff and now am setup with the SL1 and 18-55 for my primary kit on next year’s long hike. I might also carry an ultrawide, like the 14 ounce 10-22mm, OR the 55-250 zoom, but probably not both. I wish they made a small, light wide prime…

ChinMusic
12-12-2013, 11:41
IMO if you are gonna go with a DSLR for landscape nothing beats a full frame. That said, I left all that home and used an iPhone on the AT. IMO the AT is 99.9% a "sharing pics" thing and the connectivity of the iPhone trumped the DSLR.

ChuckT
12-12-2013, 12:47
There is a reason why a "pro" shoot includes a grip, soundman, art director and the photographer. Which of these won't you do? I'd go for a body and one prime lens or a wide to mild tele zoom and leave the rest.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Siarl
12-12-2013, 13:23
... the little 18-55mm EFS STM lens that can be bought for $120 on amazon (white box kit lens take-off) is super sharp, Ken Rockwell even claims sharper than the 17-40L and it weighs on 7 ounces.
http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm (http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-55mm-stm.htm)

I purchased my T2i with the kit lens and then purchased 2 of the 18-55 lens for a project. One of them I used to create a cheap macro just to see what it could do. Afterwards I ignored the other lens and put it in a drawer. The other day I decided to play with it and see what it could do compared to the kit lens. I have to say wow! I don't know if it's just me but the colors seem richer. I'm sorry to have dismissed it. It's definitely staying with my camera and I'll use it instead of the kit lens. I will be taking the 100mm Macro and Raynox M-250. I use a small Lowepro Sling. I do like Rockwells website.

CyborgAT
12-12-2013, 15:33
null
I love the 70d paired with the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L and the Sigma as well. They both have silent focusing motors so with the new dual pixel cmos sensor in the 70d, they work flawlessly together. The only full frame lens I have is the 24-105 but it can still be used on the crop sensor. Considering I bought it refurbished from B&H for $800 I figured it'd be nice to have. Especially when I eventually upgrade to a full frame dslr, I don't have to buy a new lens. The set up is a little heavy, won't deny that, but it will be worth it. I'm carrying it in a chest harness so I won't have to put extra weight in my pack. Like I said before, my winter base weight is under 10 pounds so I don't mind carrying the extra camera gear :)

Sheriff Cougar
12-14-2013, 00:52
Ben Benvie did (http://benbenvieblog.com/tag/appalachian-trail/) <<<BTW, click that to see his work

I think his was a Canon 4d Mark II Those were great shots. Thanks for sharing. I would love to take my DSLR on thru hike but the camera (Canon 5d MKII) is heavy, then I add the lens and it becomes extremely heavy. I will also be worried sick at the possibility of damaging either of the two. Just too much of a risk. I plan to take a Gopro and Canon Powershot. They both take awesome photos, are lightweight and if something should happen to either I won't be out a lot of $$$$.

Sheriff Cougar
12-14-2013, 00:59
Try this... www.melandmikehike.com (http://www.melandmikehike.com) Mel (click) carried one and would be more than glad to share with you.Can you share what camera gear you used and how you carried it, kept it dry, etc? Thanks for sharing.

Sheriff Cougar
12-14-2013, 01:11
If u wanna hike with a dslr You need this product... amazing is the the only way to describe this product. https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro dont consider hiking with a dslr without this product. .. Man! That is an awesome product. Got to get one of these. Thanks.

Sheriff Cougar
12-14-2013, 01:16
Regarding all this Canon camera gear being discussed… looks like quite a few of the lenses discussed are Full-frame lenses, meaning they are bigger and heavier than they need to be for the APS-C sensor cameras discussed (70D, T3i, 7D). Basically, wasted glass & lens body producing images way bigger than the sensor that is recording them.
For example, the 17-40L lens mentioned, yeah, GREAT lens for full frame, I own it myself using it on my full frame 6D, but big and heavy and actually, the little 18-55mm EFS STM lens that can be bought for $120 on amazon (white box kit lens take-off) is super sharp, Ken Rockwell even claims sharper than the 17-40L and it weighs on 7 ounces.
Then there is the Canon SL1 body, 13 ounces, uses the same sensor as the T5i plus, coupled with the 18-55 EFS/STM I just mentioned is a fantastic video setup, supposedly the live view focusing with these new STM lenses are the bee’s knees. Total weight of camera and lens maybe 21 ounces. My point is you can have your cake (excellent DSLRT camera & video capability) and eat it too (only about 2 pounds total weight including case, extra battery or two and filters, etc).
Most people are married to their gear, but I recently saw the light and sold my heavier stuff and now am setup with the SL1 and 18-55 for my primary kit on next year’s long hike. I might also carry an ultrawide, like the 14 ounce 10-22mm, OR the 55-250 zoom, but probably not both. I wish they made a small, light wide prime…

Thanks for the info. Might be a better option for me to mull over.

prain4u
12-15-2013, 01:33
I would guess that far more people have STARTED a thru hike with heavy camera gear than have FINISHED a thru hike with heavy camera gear. That, in itself, should speak volumes.

That being said, others HAVE completed thru hikes while carrying heavy camera gear. so, it is indeed possible.

As someone has already said--if you want it badly enough--you will find a way to carry it.

Nuggz
12-19-2013, 16:05
It depends how much you are into photography. I was travelling around the world a few years ago and was carrying my DSLR, but I eventually switched to a small compact just because it was too much for me to keep up with and carry. I found myself walking, exploring and snapping pictures rather than attempting to get awesome photos from my camera.

Rightfoot
12-19-2013, 17:29
I was a graphic design and photography major and 1 time only did I pack the "big guns"... I went from Cravers Gap to Kincora carrying a Chamonix 4 X 5 view camera, 3 lenses; a 90, 150 and 210 mm, tripod, 12 film packs(24 photos), a Shepherd Polaris light meter and the other associated accessories. Have wonder memories and super images especially from the balds. Will I do it again? H*** NO... Needless to say I packed very few other items and the pack was HEAVY!!!

MuddyWaters
12-19-2013, 21:27
Some people love to take great pictures, its a reason they get out and hike. For them, sure.

As for me, Id love to do that too. Problem is, Im not capable of it. So I stick with Point and shoot.

Advice I read for the JMT: Dont bring a heavy camera, just a small light point and shoot. Any scenic view you want, rest assured someone else has already taken better pics of it than you can, and you can find those online.

ChuckT
12-28-2013, 17:05
The idea behind a 6x6 was Not to use a 4x5, the idea behind a 35 was not to use a 6x6 or a 4x5. I have a DSLR but will carry a Fiji X PROF or a Nixon A because ... The idea is not to carry a DSLR.
The quality of the pictures you bring back depends on you first. You cannot buy quality just by carrying ##s. Having said that IF (and a really big IF) I could buy a 100 megapixel camera the size of a 4/3 DSLR, would I? Don't stand in my way!
If you want some advice - "f8 and be there" has always worked for me. F8 for knowing the hardware (You're depending on only the auto settting? You poor sap). Be there - where there are pictures AND that can be in your own backyard. First you have to see them.

smokeybones
12-29-2013, 15:59
It can be done. i hiked with someone who carried a DSLR the whole way. one option is to put the camera in a gallon size zip lock and then put it in a soft case. she would carry it in her pack if the weather was poor, on nice days she would sling it around her neck. i met other people who would velcro the case to their hipbelt or sternum strap.

Portie
01-01-2014, 12:53
A compromise is something like the Canon SX30. It has a big lens but it's light, cheap, and takes nice pictures and video. I got mine from the Canon refurb web site and it was less than $200.

Texaco
03-01-2014, 13:25
As a freelance professional photographer, I know I won't be happy with a P&S camera for something of this level of life importance. I'd be the guy who 50 years from now showing grandkids photos of my hike would still b*tch about the low res quality of a small camera. My usual rig is a Canon 6D, 24-70f/2.8, 70-200f/4, and the 530 speedlite.

I'll be taking my T1i backup body with the 17-50 (really considered a 50 prime, but lack of adj. focal length, and 1.6x crop factor would get frustrating). I'll carry 2 batteries, and 5x16GB memory cards, which should net me 1,300 RAW or 14,500 JPEGs. I've factored the weight in since the beginning. I just know I'd kick myself at "that vista" somewhere for not having a real camera if I went with anything less.

Venchka
03-01-2014, 14:10
If you don't already have any gear and want a system that will deliver the goods if you are up to the task...
Olympus digital body of your choice. OM-D, either version, produces wonderful results in capable hands. I have seen photos from the OM-D M5. They are fantastic.
12-50 zoom lens.
Spare batteries. A bushel of cards.
Have fun!

Wayne

bigcranky
03-01-2014, 17:56
Texaco,

I've been happy with both the micro 4/3 and the Fuji X systems. Excellent image quality in a much smaller package. I'm using the Fujis for about 80% of what I shoot at work these days. The big Canons only come out for sports or heavy lighting.

I could be very happy with the Fuji X100s on a thruhike. It has a fast 35mm-equivalent lens, terrific image quality including high ISOs, and it's tiny and light. Sure, there's no zoom, but that focal length is a classic and can be used for many different kinds of photos. I'd also consider the Panasonic GX7 with their excellent 20mm f/1.7 lens (40mm eq), a similar small package that can take additional lenses.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Marta
03-02-2014, 10:02
A fellow I hiked a lot with in 2006 carried a film Canon EOS the whole way. He was quickly dubbed Snapshot. (During the course of his hike, he heard about other hikers given the same name.)

At this point, it's worth the weight penalty most of the time for me to carry a Nikon D40 on most of my hikes and trips. The battery life is very good, which is an important consideration. It's sturdy. It's old enough that I don't worry a lot about something bad happening to it. It has lived quite an exciting life already (it was my traveling son's first SLR before he gave it to me, and he bought it used), and is still going strong. If I were thru-hiking again, I'd bring it, or something similar.

Nooga
03-02-2014, 11:40
I carried a Panasonic TS3 on my thru. Water proof so I didn't have to worry. Decent but not great photos. I have just ordered a Panasonic GM1 for future hikes.

rafe
03-02-2014, 12:41
IMO if you are gonna go with a DSLR for landscape nothing beats a full frame. That said, I left all that home and used an iPhone on the AT. IMO the AT is 99.9% a "sharing pics" thing and the connectivity of the iPhone trumped the DSLR.

I'd agree with that, but then, I wouldn't risk gear like that ($$$) on a thru-hike. I am so amazed at the current crop of smart phones that I may even leave behind my Canon A620 henceforth. Awesome for panoramics - like the one below, from a hike yesterday. Not to mention video, sound capture, etc.

I carried a 35 mm. film SLR over about 1/3 of the AT. Replaced by the A620 in '05 or so.

LDog
03-02-2014, 13:25
I'm a 59 yo, retired Navy Photographer/Combat Cameraman. Haven't thru-hiked, but have hiked 600+ mile sections. My first couple of sections were thru-hike attempts, but that's another story. Point of all that is that I demand quality, I'm old enough, and anal enough to be constantly trying to lighten my load, and as a section-hiker, I've had lots of opportunities to fine-tune my rig.

In my planning for my first thru attempt, I saw Mr Benvie's work, and was inspired. Interestingly, he did it all with a 35mm lens, which spoke to the old street photographer in me. (Tho I always had a 90 in my pocket) How-some-ever, there was no way I was going to carry an SLR, much less additional lenses. I went thru a long process of looking at "Enthusiast Compacts" that allowed RAW capture, Micro 4/3rds, and then found what was then a tiny niche market of mirrorless APS-C cameras.

I bought the Fuji X-100. Looks like an old rangefinder, but with outstanding image quality. Especially low-light / high ISO. Most important to me, I had direct access to shutter speed and aperture through conventional controls! It served me well, and I am completely jazzed by what I got out of it.

My pics on Tumblr (http://billyfatjohn.tumblr.com/)

Auto-focus wasn't the speediest, it is not an environmentally sealed camera, and I did have some water and dust intrusion which Fuji repaired under warranty. Fuji has been marching forward. Firmware upgrades made auto-focus and interface better. The new 100S is a big step forward. Still only has a 35mm (eq) lens. Then they came out with new models in the line. Each one improving IQ, auto exposure, and addressing all the little quirks photographers griped about. And interchangeable lenses! Finally I had the option to slip a 90 in my pocket! Last year they came out with the EX-2. Light, improved IQ, stripped down, with interchangeable lenses. The line of lenses they came out with are excellent, and adaptors will let you use lots of old glass. But they were still not environmentally sealed.

And Sony, competing in the same space, is pushing them hard ...

So, they just came out with the X-T1 Looks like an old SLR, early reviews rave about EQ. It has interchangeable lenses, direct control over exposure, and it's environmentally sealed! Might be my Holy Grail. I haven't worked out weight of body plus lens, so I don't know. Besides, Moma has other priorities for disposable income right now ...

www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T1-Compact-3-0-Inch-Body/dp/B00HYAL88W/ (http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T1-Compact-3-0-Inch-Body/dp/B00HYAL88W/)

None of these are apparently great at shooting video. I studied film, and was a videographer back in my glory days, and yet that's not a feature I have delved into ... I am content to document the trail in stills. If you hope to do so in video, and you want high quality and precise autofocus on moving objects, these might work, but I'd dig into DPreview (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-t1)and elsewhere before taking the plunge. You might have to pack a DSLR to get what you want.

I went through several iterations of carry solutions that would protect the camera while giving me quick access. I ended up with it over my shoulder, in an Op/Tech Digital D-Compact Neoprene Pouch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001TSSM2/). If it rained, I put it in a small dry bag in my pack. I have Leki poles with their camera adaptor. Pics of how it works for me at my blog (link (http://www.laughingdog.com/2012/10/lessons-learned-cameras-on-trail.html).)

I'll be getting back on the trail this spring with my X100, for the 867 mi section that will earn me my 2000 miler patch. I'm not changing a thing on my camera rig.

Hope to see you out there,

TurboPants
03-04-2014, 16:13
I intend on carrying my Sony A57 (APS-C) next year in a case logic pouch (http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DCB-304-Compact-System/dp/B0039BPG1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393963498&sr=8-1&keywords=case+logic+superzoom) strapped to my shoulder straps. This case is designed for a superzoom but my camera w/ an 18-55mm is a perfectly snug fit. I can fit the 2-3 extra batteries in one side pocket and memory cards in the other. It's perfect for someone taking a DSLR with one lens, though you could actually store an extra lens in the pack somewhere if you can take the weight.

I have not bought the attachment straps yet, but I intend to buy the ones linked in this thread from B&H to strap my case to the shoulder straps of my pack.

I don't see any reason to take a full tripod with a fluid pan handle. Because anyone serious about filming could easily correct all shake in post editing with a good software like after effects, adobe premiere etc. But if you are lucky enough to have in-body ISS like the Sony has, it really helps you make nice smooth motions w/out the jitter. Since I do still want to take a tripod of sorts, I opted for the Pedco Ultra II. It's absolutely awesome and everyone should have one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANCPNM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And now let's discuss the options of NON DSLRs. If I weren't a film/photo nerd I'd forfeit the SLR and take a compact point & shoot. I wouldn't buy anything except for Canon. Why? Because you can load magic lantern on the memory cards. This is a CHDK program that unlocks hundreds of manual settings that your point & shoot wouldn't normally have so the sky is literally the limit. It opens up time lapse, art effects, HDR, long expsure etc. I was checking out the new samsung phones at best buy and their cameras as probably every bit as good as most P&S cameras. So for me it's either a full SLR or a really rockin camera phone. The Samsung I looked at had 13MP and recorded 1080p. And surprisingly it worked well! Combine that with a couple apps like Vimeon and PhotoShop lite and you can do nearly production quality stuff with a PHONE! you kids have way too many options these days. :D

Venchka
03-04-2014, 18:14
The Olympus OM-D models also have in camera stabilization. One more reason that they are leading my short list.

Wayne

ChuckT
03-04-2014, 19:42
50 years in the business and I can tell the world one thing - cameras prevent pictures. Complicated cameras prevent _all_ pictures.

rafe
03-04-2014, 19:59
50 years in the business and I can tell the world one thing - cameras prevent pictures. Complicated cameras prevent _all_ pictures.

Some day I'd like to pull a David Muench and hike some bits of the trail with my Shen Hao 4x5 view camera. Photo technology sure has taken some amazing turns in our lifetime. We now have OLED displays that beat paper, in resolution as well as gamut. Insanity! Now if only they could make big sensors, cheap. Anything beyond APS-C is $$$.

rafe
03-04-2014, 20:37
Really nice pix, Laughing Dog.

LDog
03-04-2014, 23:21
Really nice pix, Laughing Dog.

Thanks. The light was nice that morning at Davenport Gap.

ChuckT
03-05-2014, 12:11
4x5? Why stop there - 5 x 7 glass plates and a donkey to tote the gear (a la Ansel Adams) just be careful where you sit down.

mfleming
03-05-2014, 13:44
As a freelance professional photographer, I know I won't be happy with a P&S camera for something of this level of life importance. I'd be the guy who 50 years from now showing grandkids photos of my hike would still b*tch about the low res quality of a small camera. My usual rig is a Canon 6D, 24-70f/2.8, 70-200f/4, and the 530 speedlite.

I'll be taking my T1i backup body with the 17-50 (really considered a 50 prime, but lack of adj. focal length, and 1.6x crop factor would get frustrating). I'll carry 2 batteries, and 5x16GB memory cards, which should net me 1,300 RAW or 14,500 JPEGs. I've factored the weight in since the beginning. I just know I'd kick myself at "that vista" somewhere for not having a real camera if I went with anything less.

Are you brining a tripod too? I would have a very hard time leaving mine at home, especially as I was bringing a DSLR

mfleming
03-05-2014, 13:48
I'd agree with that, but then, I wouldn't risk gear like that ($$$) on a thru-hike. I am so amazed at the current crop of smart phones that I may even leave behind my Canon A620 henceforth. Awesome for panoramics - like the one below, from a hike yesterday. Not to mention video, sound capture, etc.

I carried a 35 mm. film SLR over about 1/3 of the AT. Replaced by the A620 in '05 or so.

True when you have a bright sunny day at midday. However, IMHO, iPhone cameras are useless when the light fades.

rafe
03-05-2014, 14:04
Not to burst anyone's bubbles (nah, I'd never do that) but thru-hiking and professional-level photography are a tough mix. You might be able to pull it off if you're not anxious about miles, but big-mileage days with frequent photo stops are tough to pull off.

I recall a gorgeous marsh in NH, a day north of Hanover. Beautiful wild iris, but the mosquitoes made it almost impossible to stop long enough to frame and compose even a few shots with my point-and-shoot.

I recall another incident just before a hailstorm near the summit of Baldpate. I was so engrossed in my photography that I hadn't considered the consequences of being caught on a bald ridge in a hailstorm. The shot was worth it, though.

mfleming
03-05-2014, 14:11
Not to burst anyone's bubbles (nah, I'd never do that) but thru-hiking and professional-level photography are a tough mix. You might be able to pull it off if you're not anxious about miles, but big-mileage days with frequent photo stops are tough to pull off.

I recall a gorgeous marsh in NH, a day north of Hanover. Beautiful wild iris, but the mosquitoes made it almost impossible to stop long enough to frame and compose even a few shots with my point-and-shoot.

I recall another incident just before a hailstorm near the summit of Baldpate. I was so engrossed in my photography that I hadn't considered the consequences of being caught on a bald ridge in a hailstorm. The shot was worth it, though.

Very true Rafe!

This thread however came after the decision was made to carry a DSLR

rafe
03-05-2014, 14:22
4x5? Why stop there - 5 x 7 glass plates and a donkey to tote the gear (a la Ansel Adams) just be careful where you sit down.

It's all about gathering light. The more the better. But then it's all about walkin', a couple thousand miles or so.

bigcranky
03-05-2014, 14:41
The shot was worth it, though.

:) Isn't that usually the case?

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 14:54
https://peakdesignltd.com/

Problem solved. Carries really well, no swinging camera, unhook and reattach in a split second, durable, lightweight, don't have to pack it in your bag, doesn't take up room, etc. I have the V2 and love it.

pyro_
03-06-2014, 15:55
You can also use their leash with a mini binner attached to your pack so that the camera cannot fall to the ground if you miss the peak design clip and let go of the camera

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 16:52
You can also use their leash with a mini binner attached to your pack so that the camera cannot fall to the ground if you miss the peak design clip and let go of the camera

Ohhhh I didn't know they had this! Thank you.

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 16:54

Are you referring to the cuff?

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/cuff

pyro_
03-06-2014, 16:56
Np I learned the hard way to do this as I dropped my camera one time. Lucky for me no major damage.

I have the leash setup so that it is just the right length so I can bring the viewfinder of the camera to eye level

pyro_
03-06-2014, 16:57
Yes I was referring to the cuff sorry

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 17:10
Yes I was referring to the cuff sorry

Okay, gotcha. So you hook a beaner to a loop on your strap I'm assuming?

pyro_
03-06-2014, 18:13
Correct. The loop that would normally go around your wrist has a biner attached and this is hooked to the strap on my backpack. The other end if the cuff has the quick release attachment for the camera

Makes for a nice light safely leash for the camera

rafe
03-06-2014, 18:45
Nice light leash for 2 or 3 lbs. worth of fancy DSLR and precision optics :rolleyes:.

pyro_
03-06-2014, 19:01
To each their own. It works well for my mirrorless camera. I started to do this as I had a drop earlier in the year when I screwed up and missed putting it in the clip without realizing it and released the camera. Lucky for me it only screwed up the threads on the lens and at least this way it is better than nothing at all

rafe
03-06-2014, 20:01
To each their own.

You're right, I was being snippy. Hike yer own hike and all that. Speaking for myself only, I'm done schlepping heavy cameras on mutli-day hikes. I hope you all share your gorgeous pix with us, really.

LDog
03-06-2014, 20:46
I'd think the Peak Design camera clip is a great solution for cameras that are environmentally, sealed as most pro DSLRs are, and most others are not. I carried my camera over my shoulder, exposed to the elements for the first 600 miles, and I had to send it in for repair for dust and water intrusion - tho it was never in the rain. Sweat and condensation off water bottles were probably the culprits. And I wasn't the only one. If your camera ain't sealed, stick it in a pocket, put a cover on it ... but protect it.

rafe
03-06-2014, 21:48
I was a graphic design and photography major and 1 time only did I pack the "big guns"... I went from Cravers Gap to Kincora carrying a Chamonix 4 X 5 view camera, 3 lenses; a 90, 150 and 210 mm, tripod, 12 film packs(24 photos), a Shepherd Polaris light meter and the other associated accessories. Have wonder memories and super images especially from the balds. Will I do it again? H*** NO... Needless to say I packed very few other items and the pack was HEAVY!!!

I bet they were amazing images. I wonder if the best full-frame (24x36 mm) photo sensors can match 4x5 film yet? I've been out of the loop for a bit. It's weird when a 90 mm. f/8 lens is the finest piece of glass in your collection.

JustBob
03-06-2014, 23:11
I love my OM-D, but on the AT I'd carry an iPhone.

Siarl
03-07-2014, 00:44
I have been told countless times by others that I should not take my DSLR on the thru hike. Their reasoning was that I was risking an expensive camera on a hike that where I would encounter alot of rain, I'm from VA Appalachians, I already know about the rain. But my reasoning is, if a person has spent alot of money on great photographic equipment, when does it become worth it to take photos? From your living room window? Just for day hikes? Family picnics? Family and baby photos? This is the trip of a lifetime. Wouldn't this be THE trip that an expensive camera has been waiting for? I'm not hiking this to win a race or some sort of contest for the lightest pack weight or to outdo the next person to me. Perhaps those who have lugged around cameras all their lives are ready to give it up and just enjoy the walk. That's great. HYOH. But when I get through I want the details inherent in my DSLR versus the Canon point and shoot that I have or the Samsung Galaxy phone. I want to be able to look back on those details and blow them up and enjoy the details I will be able to capture with my 100mm macro of the pollen grains clinging to the stamens of the Mountain Lily only found there. Or the fine color details of the setting sun across those beautiful blue mountains layered one after the other. This is just me.

True, there have been hundreds of others who have taken photos and published them that I could use, but those were their moments, not mine.

Miner
03-07-2014, 02:00
In all the 20+ years I've been backpacking and carrying a large camera or camcorder with me, I've never had one break on a trip. And that includes a PCT thru-hike and a section hike of the northern 600miles of the AT where I was wet every day through NH and Vermont. I too am puzzled why someone is too afraid to carry a good camera just because they might break it. If you don't want it on, what is for most, a journey of a lifetime, when would you want it? Why do you have it in the first place? And unlike the days when a good film SLR could last you a decade or more, with the constant advancement of digital image technology, I end up replacing a camera every 2-3 years anyway.

And with the advancement of technology some of the smaller mirrorless cameras of today that accept removable lenses are just as good as the top end DSLRs of just a few years ago. If you don't want to risk the lost or don't want to carry the weight of a more expensive camera, there are good alternatives that weigh just over a pound.

rafe
03-07-2014, 09:31
Well we're in classic HYOH territory aren't we. All we can do here is share opinions and suggestions. If I were to start a thru tomorrow, I'd bring along whatever Canon's latest G-xx whatever, something I'm guessing weighs 8 oz. tops, something I can fit into a small pouch on the shoulder strap of my pack, always at hand, and out of the way. My progression in LD hiking cameras was 35 mm SLR -> Canon G2 -> Canon A620. I'm half thinking the next step is just the S4 cell phone, it's almost good enough.

If y'all are still carrying your DSLRs thru Damascus or Cloverdale, I'll buy ya a beer.

Nooga
03-07-2014, 12:16
I agree this is HYOH territory. Is this a thru hike that you want to record with photos or are you hiking to facilitate your photographic opportunities. I carried a Lumix TS3, which was waterproof. I got ok photos, but nothing great. I am currently weighing a Lumix GM1 vs Sony RX100 II.

pyro_
03-07-2014, 14:49
One more you might want to add to your list if you are looking at the gm1 and rx100 is the Nikon V1. I would place it somewhere between the two of those cameras. Still fairly small with smaller interchangeable lenses. Includes a viewfinder and I was able to get over 800 shots with mine last year on one battery without a re-charge when I was using the viewfinder only and he back LCD screen turned off

Nooga
03-07-2014, 21:07
One more you might want to add to your list if you are looking at the gm1 and rx100 is the Nikon V1. I would place it somewhere between the two of those cameras. Still fairly small with smaller interchangeable lenses. Includes a viewfinder and I was able to get over 800 shots with mine last year on one battery without a re-charge when I was using the viewfinder only and he back LCD screen turned off

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the V1.

Marta
03-07-2014, 23:47
Besides the issue of the weight and cost of the camera, everyone has to decide for themselves at what point the journey stops being about hiking and becomes about recording the journey. That's very much HYOH territory. I've taken journeys on which I didn't carry a camera at all, to force myself to BE there instead of fussing with the camera the whole time.

I rarely do that anymore intentionally (sometimes I forget a crucial piece of gear, or leave the camera in the car, or some such booboo), but there are definitely times when I have to make myself stop taking pictures already and just walk, or ski. The scenery around here is so mind-blowing, I often think I should wear a GoPro on my head. But I'd much rather go out on another excursion than sit around watching videos of a past one. :)

Nooga
03-08-2014, 10:19
No matter what camera you decide to carry, take pictures of the people!

88BlueGT
03-10-2014, 18:07
I have been told countless times by others that I should not take my DSLR on the thru hike. Their reasoning was that I was risking an expensive camera on a hike that where I would encounter alot of rain, I'm from VA Appalachians, I already know about the rain. But my reasoning is, if a person has spent alot of money on great photographic equipment, when does it become worth it to take photos? From your living room window? Just for day hikes? Family picnics? Family and baby photos? This is the trip of a lifetime. Wouldn't this be THE trip that an expensive camera has been waiting for? I'm not hiking this to win a race or some sort of contest for the lightest pack weight or to outdo the next person to me. Perhaps those who have lugged around cameras all their lives are ready to give it up and just enjoy the walk. That's great. HYOH. But when I get through I want the details inherent in my DSLR versus the Canon point and shoot that I have or the Samsung Galaxy phone. I want to be able to look back on those details and blow them up and enjoy the details I will be able to capture with my 100mm macro of the pollen grains clinging to the stamens of the Mountain Lily only found there. Or the fine color details of the setting sun across those beautiful blue mountains layered one after the other. This is just me.

True, there have been hundreds of others who have taken photos and published them that I could use, but those were their moments, not mine.

Perfectly said.

For many of us who lug DSLR's on the trail we do so because we love shooting and becomes more than just "taking a picture to capture the moment". My camera is PART of me; at home and on the trail. It's worth the 2-3lbs (especially if you have the setup to carry it). Can it be inconveniencing at times? Yes. Ultimately, it's worth it. If I ever thru-hiked the AT I couldn't imagine how excited I would be to come home and dig through terabytes worth of photos :)

rafe
03-10-2014, 19:31
Perfectly said.

For many of us who lug DSLR's on the trail we do so because we love shooting and becomes more than just "taking a picture to capture the moment". My camera is PART of me; at home and on the trail. It's worth the 2-3lbs (especially if you have the setup to carry it). Can it be inconveniencing at times? Yes. Ultimately, it's worth it. If I ever thru-hiked the AT I couldn't imagine how excited I would be to come home and dig through terabytes worth of photos :)

This was pretty much my thinking for the first 25-30 years of my hiking career, and for the first thousand miles or so of the AT. But here's the thing; if as a thru-hiker you're expecting a grand vista or two every day, you're gonna be disappointed.

I thought it telling in reading the Barefoot Sisters southbound journal, where one of the sisters lists the categories of those who left the trail, and among them was the "view seekers." I mean, that was me they were talking about.

88BlueGT
03-10-2014, 21:25
This was pretty much my thinking for the first 25-30 years of my hiking career, and for the first thousand miles or so of the AT. But here's the thing; if as a thru-hiker you're expecting a grand vista or two every day, you're gonna be disappointed.

I thought it telling in reading the Barefoot Sisters southbound journal, where one of the sisters lists the categories of those who left the trail, and among them was the "view seekers." I mean, that was me they were talking about.

I certainly see where you are coming from. The way I think about it though; if you want to bring it... bring it. If it gets to be too much of a hassle/inconvenience you can always ship it home, no harm, no foul right? :D

rafe
03-10-2014, 21:52
I certainly see where you are coming from. The way I think about it though; if you want to bring it... bring it. If it gets to be too much of a hassle/inconvenience you can always ship it home, no harm, no foul right? :D

I wouldn't argue with that, it's just the mindset is the troublesome part. (And only troublesome from the thru-hiking point of view.)

My father passed away five or ten years back and left thousands of slides of the many places he'd been to all over the world. He loved to travel and never went anywhere without a camera. Museums, stately buildings, parks, fountains, churches, ruins, beaches and mountains galore. 99% of those pix went in the trash. The ones I kept were those with people in them.

I entered a photo contest years ago, the subject being White Mountains. I sent in a dozen prints, several of them nice vistas from the AT. You know which pic they published? I took it leaning out the window of the cog railway. Any tourist could have taken that shot.

http://terrapinphoto.com/publications.html

Texaco
03-11-2014, 10:49
Alike someone else said, my camera is part of me. I've got dSLR set-ups stored in the trunk of both cars, tripods alongside, and I travel with another full-frame dSLR with work, year round. I don't photograph everything, nor do I have a desire to. But I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there would be times I'd resent myself for *not* having it, if I didn't take it.

I've purchased an Pedco UltraPod tripod, instead of going the route of the typical GorillaPod. Check it out here, nice, lightweight, and dSLR friendly. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANCPNM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's HYOH, alright. But I think there are camera people who know that they wouldn't be happy with less. I've got a Pelican waterproof memory card case loaded with 16GB cards so that I can shoot RAW. Only because I know myself.

The comments on people shots are spot on. Landscape is important, but the ability to reflect on who the memories were shared with are 1,000x more valuable.

pyro_
03-11-2014, 13:32
If you are looking for a light weight tripod you could also consider the trail pix. I am going to be ordering one later this week and they are suppost to ship later this month

snapper
03-11-2014, 14:03
Just saw this thread and wanted to give some practical advice. I carried a Sony A580 with a zoom lens throughout my entire PCT thruhike. I must admit that I am very happy with the pictures I was able take home, but all in all I will not do that again. For once, nowadays you can get a decent profesional compact like the Canon G16 or the Sony RX100 with almost the same picture quality and versatility as an entry DSLR.
Also the weight of the camera plus lens plus waterproof bag clocked in at 3 lbs and it really started to annoy me towards the end of the hike. I had it dangling around my neck, which through me off balance during tougher climbing sections. That made me pack the DSLR into my pack from time to time, although I wanted it handy for Snapshots.

The real issue I encountered, was the dirt that got into the camera, Allthough I was very careful handling the camera. That got me a repair bill if 500$ for the replacement of the sensor. That is the main reason I will never take a non weather proof camera on a thruhike anymore.

But in the end, as a lot of people started : HYOH. The quality of the pictures might be enough motivation for you to carry around a DSLR in the end.

TurboPants
03-11-2014, 17:17
Always interesting to hear about how people's cameras lasted, or didn't. Snapper, did you ever have your lens off on the trail?? Maybe some kind of sealer around the body seems could help, like how we seal tents and such. I know with Sony, Nikon and Canon the entry level SLRs are not weather proof (like my A57) so you'd have to spend $1100 to get that kind of weather proofing.

My A57 with 3 batteries, case logic & chest straps, ND filter, 3 memory cards and a mini tripod are only 34 oz, so basically 2#. And having it easily accessible on your chest is not too annoying to me. HYOH pretty much is what we all have to say, cause either you have the tolerence to carry one or you don't. Some people love photography just as much as hiking so to those types, it's not a burden but actually kinda fun.

Nooga
03-12-2014, 11:08
Just saw this thread and wanted to give some practical advice. I carried a Sony A580 with a zoom lens throughout my entire PCT thruhike. I must admit that I am very happy with the pictures I was able take home, but all in all I will not do that again. For once, nowadays you can get a decent profesional compact like the Canon G16 or the Sony RX100 with almost the same picture quality and versatility as an entry DSLR.
Also the weight of the camera plus lens plus waterproof bag clocked in at 3 lbs and it really started to annoy me towards the end of the hike. I had it dangling around my neck, which through me off balance during tougher climbing sections. That made me pack the DSLR into my pack from time to time, although I wanted it handy for Snapshots.

The real issue I encountered, was the dirt that got into the camera, Allthough I was very careful handling the camera. That got me a repair bill if 500$ for the replacement of the sensor. That is the main reason I will never take a non weather proof camera on a thruhike anymore.

But in the end, as a lot of people started : HYOH. The quality of the pictures might be enough motivation for you to carry around a DSLR in the end.

Were you using a single zoom lens or were you changing lens on the trail? I'm currently wrestling with the issue of what style camera to use for hiking.

mfleming
03-13-2014, 11:18
A 28-300 mm zoom lens would be an excellent choice

88BlueGT
03-13-2014, 12:18
Alike someone else said, my camera is part of me. I've got dSLR set-ups stored in the trunk of both cars, tripods alongside, and I travel with another full-frame dSLR with work, year round. I don't photograph everything, nor do I have a desire to. But I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there would be times I'd resent myself for *not* having it, if I didn't take it.

I've purchased an Pedco UltraPod tripod, instead of going the route of the typical GorillaPod. Check it out here, nice, lightweight, and dSLR friendly. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANCPNM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It's HYOH, alright. But I think there are camera people who know that they wouldn't be happy with less. I've got a Pelican waterproof memory card case loaded with 16GB cards so that I can shoot RAW. Only because I know myself.

The comments on people shots are spot on. Landscape is important, but the ability to reflect on who the memories were shared with are 1,000x more valuable.

This is key and yes.... if you're shooting RAW a handful of 16-32gb cards would be necessary.

pdcollins6092
03-16-2014, 23:49
I the hiked in 2012 and carried my Canon t1i with my 18-55 lens and 55-250 lens. I also had the battery charger and 3 extra batteries with me. The guys at Neel gap told me I should send it home because there is no way I would carry it the whole way. Well, I passed every whit blaze from Ga. to Me. and took over 2000 pictures with that camera and have some great pictures to prove it... It was heavier than a point & shoot but I had more control over how I wanted the pics to look.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

88BlueGT
03-17-2014, 12:02
I the hiked in 2012 and carried my Canon t1i with my 18-55 lens and 55-250 lens. I also had the battery charger and 3 extra batteries with me. The guys at Neel gap told me I should send it home because there is no way I would carry it the whole way. Well, I passed every whit blaze from Ga. to Me. and took over 2000 pictures with that camera and have some great pictures to prove it... It was heavier than a point & shoot but I had more control over how I wanted the pics to look.

Did you find that 3 batteries were necessary? I shoot w/ a T1i as well and if you set it up properly the battery can last a really long time (no auto review when shooting, turn down screen brightness, etc.). Also, did you carry the charger w/ you while you hiked? bounce box? Just curious...

pdcollins6092
03-17-2014, 12:07
I could have done with just the one battery. I just never sent the others back home. I kept everything in the Lowepro fanny pack style camera bag. I did have the charger with me too.

88BlueGT
03-17-2014, 12:55
I could have done with just the one battery. I just never sent the others back home. I kept everything in the Lowepro fanny pack style camera bag. I did have the charger with me too.

Gotcha. I wouldn't think that 3 batteries would be necessary but I would definitely bring two. Just to have one "just in case" battery. If you're carrying a DSLR an extra battery is certainly worth the weight.

Venchka
03-17-2014, 14:56
This is key and yes.... if you're shooting RAW a handful of 16-32gb cards would be necessary.

Raw files are for photographs. JPEGs were invented to make the internet more visually interesting for people with dial up modems.

Wayne

Venchka
03-17-2014, 15:01
... The guys at Neel gap told me I should send it home because there is no way I would carry it the whole way.

The Official "Thou shalt not carry..." Party Mantra.
HYOH. Do what YOU want to do. Go where YOU want to go. Carry what YOU want to carry.

Wayne

88BlueGT
03-17-2014, 16:48
Raw files are for photographs. JPEGs were invented to make the internet more visually interesting for people with dial up modems.

Wayne

Oh, I agree. I haven't shot a photo in jpeg in years.

Venchka
03-17-2014, 16:50
Thanks. I thought I was alone.

Wayne

Sent from my State of Delerium.

grizzlyadam
03-18-2014, 14:30
I always like it when this topic comes up, especially since backpacking and photography are two things I'm passionate about and two things i've figured out how to blend together. Here is an updated post I made about camera equipment before....

These days I shoot with either a Nikon D300 or D700. For years I primarily shot with a late 1960's model Nikon 35mm.

The history of carrying my camera goes as follows:

In october of 2000 I set off from Springer with the SLR in my backpack and a point and shoot in my pocket. I took literally no pictures with the SLR and ended up sending it home two weeks later.
In april of 2002 I set off from the Roan Highlands with the SLR attached to a side compression strap on my pack with a small carabiner. This proved to be a decent method for me but I didn't like that the camera wasn't protected.
In october of 2003 I set off from Katahdin with the best system I have found. I use a Lowepro Off Trail 1 (It has since been discontinued, but there are many suitable replacements out there). I use two small carabiners and some cord to attach the bag to my shoulder straps and thread the belt of the case around my torso (in between my pack and my body) and have no problems with it. The system doesn't bounce and the belt strap around my torso doesn't bother me.
I used this same set up in 2004 on the AT, in 2005 on the NCMST, in 2006 on the AT, in 2009 on the JMT, in 2011 on the PCT, in 2012 on the AT, in 2013 on the SB6K, and am still using it to this day.
In 2005 i walked the John Muir Trail for the first time and carried 22 (yes, I said twenty two) pounds worth of camera equipment with me. I carried my Nikon 35mm SLR with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm, and macro to 90mm); a Canon AE1 with a 16mm fisheye lens, and a Bronica medium format with a 75mm lens. I would carry one of the cameras in my Lowepro bag and the other two in another camera bag in the top of my pack. Heavy but well worth the weight....

CURRENTLY In the Off Trail 1; I carry my camera body, 3 lenses (24mm, 50mm, and macro-90mm) and two small silnylon stuffsacks for when it rains.

When it does rain, I also have a larger waterproof stuffsack (OR/Sea-to-Summit roll top type of bag) that I put everything in and then store in my backpack. I don't take any chances.

Although it is a little bigger and heavier (1.8 pounds) I also carry a Quantaray - QT-100 Compact Travel Tripod. I have found that this works quite well for those long exposure sunrise/sunset/nightime/moving water shots.

My current camera setup on trail weighs a total of ~11 pounds. I don't think i could ever hike without an SLR of some sort. I'd go mad without that kind of control over my settings/images...

Is it worth the hassle and the effort and the weight and the time?

I think so: http://www.wacphotography.com

All but one of the images on my site were shot with either an SLR, a Medium Format, or a DSLR.

And, most of them were shot on long distance hikes.

rafe
03-18-2014, 14:50
Grizzly, I quote from your blog: "12 Days • 14 States • 3,053 Miles Driven • 25 Appalachian Trail Miles Hiked"

I don't know you well enough to know if you're a thru-hiker or 2000 miler. You set off from Springer, and then you set off from Roan, and then you set off from Katahdin... but you didn't say how far you traveled with all that gear.

Gorgeous pix, by the way.

grizzlyadam
03-18-2014, 15:51
Grizzly, I quote from your blog: "12 Days • 14 States • 3,053 Miles Driven • 25 Appalachian Trail Miles Hiked"

I don't know you well enough to know if you're a thru-hiker or 2000 miler. You set off from Springer, and then you set off from Roan, and then you set off from Katahdin... but you didn't say how far you traveled with all that gear.

Gorgeous pix, by the way.

Hey Rafe,

Thanks for the compliments.

It's true. I have set off from quite a few places. But, every hike has to start somewhere, right?

Since October 2000, I have hiked over 10,000 miles. I carry the camera equipment with me whether I am out for the day or out for a few months. On the AT I have hiked from Springer to Port Clinton and Katahdin to Kent. I've hiked ME/NH/VT three times. I've hiked Springer to Damascus three times. I've hiked the North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail. I've hiked the John Muir Trail three times. I hiked 800 miles of the PCT in 2011. Last year I completed the South Beyond 6000 (http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/pages.view/id/23/page/South-Beyond-6000). This year I'll be doing the SB6K again as well as the JMT and possibly the MST too.

Hope that answers your questions.

And, all that to say- when the OP asks, "Can it actually be done?" The answer is yes. It just depends on how badly the OP wants to do it.

88BlueGT
03-18-2014, 16:00
I always like it when this topic comes up, especially since backpacking and photography are two things I'm passionate about and two things i've figured out how to blend together. Here is an updated post I made about camera equipment before....

These days I shoot with either a Nikon D300 or D700. For years I primarily shot with a late 1960's model Nikon 35mm.

The history of carrying my camera goes as follows:

In october of 2000 I set off from Springer with the SLR in my backpack and a point and shoot in my pocket. I took literally no pictures with the SLR and ended up sending it home two weeks later.
In april of 2002 I set off from the Roan Highlands with the SLR attached to a side compression strap on my pack with a small carabiner. This proved to be a decent method for me but I didn't like that the camera wasn't protected.
In october of 2003 I set off from Katahdin with the best system I have found. I use a Lowepro Off Trail 1 (It has since been discontinued, but there are many suitable replacements out there). I use two small carabiners and some cord to attach the bag to my shoulder straps and thread the belt of the case around my torso (in between my pack and my body) and have no problems with it. The system doesn't bounce and the belt strap around my torso doesn't bother me.
I used this same set up in 2004 on the AT, in 2005 on the NCMST, in 2006 on the AT, in 2009 on the JMT, in 2011 on the PCT, in 2012 on the AT, in 2013 on the SB6K, and am still using it to this day.
In 2005 i walked the John Muir Trail for the first time and carried 22 (yes, I said twenty two) pounds worth of camera equipment with me. I carried my Nikon 35mm SLR with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm, and macro to 90mm); a Canon AE1 with a 16mm fisheye lens, and a Bronica medium format with a 75mm lens. I would carry one of the cameras in my Lowepro bag and the other two in another camera bag in the top of my pack. Heavy but well worth the weight....

CURRENTLY In the Off Trail 1; I carry my camera body, 3 lenses (24mm, 50mm, and macro-90mm) and two small silnylon stuffsacks for when it rains.

When it does rain, I also have a larger waterproof stuffsack (OR/Sea-to-Summit roll top type of bag) that I put everything in and then store in my backpack. I don't take any chances.

Although it is a little bigger and heavier (1.8 pounds) I also carry a Quantaray - QT-100 Compact Travel Tripod. I have found that this works quite well for those long exposure sunrise/sunset/nightime/moving water shots.

My current camera setup on trail weighs a total of ~11 pounds. I don't think i could ever hike without an SLR of some sort. I'd go mad without that kind of control over my settings/images...

Is it worth the hassle and the effort and the weight and the time?

I think so: http://www.wacphotography.com

All but one of the images on my site were shot with either an SLR, a Medium Format, or a DSLR.

And, most of them were shot on long distance hikes.

You inspire me to bring me camera with me, ALWAYS! Great shots.

It seems that you have common theme/style to all your photos... care to elaborate?

grizzlyadam
03-18-2014, 16:27
You inspire me to bring me camera with me, ALWAYS! Great shots.

It seems that you have common theme/style to all your photos... care to elaborate?

Thanks Dan.

As far as a theme goes, I just shoot what inspires and appeals to me visually. I would say the style is something that developed over time. I'm not sure where it came from, but was definitely a gradual process.

88BlueGT
03-18-2014, 16:45
Thanks Dan.

As far as a theme goes, I just shoot what inspires and appeals to me visually. I would say the style is something that developed over time. I'm not sure where it came from, but was definitely a gradual process.

Whatever you're doing; keep doing it. Your photos seem to all have a very even lighting/softness to them. Is there a certain filter that you like to use when processing these?

grizzlyadam
03-18-2014, 17:04
Whatever you're doing; keep doing it. Your photos seem to all have a very even lighting/softness to them. Is there a certain filter that you like to use when processing these?

The first eight years of my professional career I shot film.

When it got to the point where shooting film was no longer cost effective for me and I finally made the switch to digital in 2008, I decided that I wanted those digital images to emulate the look and feel of my film images as closely as possible. Especially since film is what I'd always known. Getting my digital processes to that point took a lot of work. When I first started shooting digital I had no idea what to do with the files. These days I would say 60% of the images on my site were shot with film and 40% were shot with a DSLR. And, one image was shot and processed with an iphone.

connor401
08-05-2015, 20:48
I carry my Nikon D90 and 18-105mm lens on my section hikes and day hikes. I don't bother with any fancy carrying case. I just shove it into the "brain" of my pack. It's very easy to just reach back over my head and unzip the compartment to retrieve the camera. No need to take the pack off.

smatree
08-13-2015, 02:13
I completed a thruhike this past year. I saw one thruhiker carrying a DSLR camera (Nikon). I did not see her past NC, but I know she finished. I assume she carried it the entire way. She would sling the camera around her neck, just like if you were walking around the city with no pack on.

Kata makes some unique bags that you might look at. They also have a "quick release" bag that I've seen demoed. http://www.kata-bags.us/photo-by-carrying-type-holsters

I hope that helped!

-Salad Days
Your blogs worth reading. Same experience with you