PDA

View Full Version : Need GPS for American Discovery Trail and GDMBR.

NaturalHiker
12-11-2013, 22:03
Hey you all, i just finished walking the AT earlier this year. Next summer im mountain biking the GDMBR. In order to ride the GDMBR i'll be required to use a handheld GPS unit. So, this winter to stay in shape im going to run accross my home state of Indiana. I have property that borders the American Discovery Trail, i live literally right next to it. I ride my bike/walk/drive on the ADT almost everyday.

To make route finding easier, im going to carry a handheld GPS with me on the GDMBR. So i figured, what better way to learn how to use a GPS than to get some first hand experience using it while i run accross Indiana here in a couple weeks. Im going to start at the IL/IN border, and make my way east to the IN/OH border. Following the ADT, it will be a total of 366 miles.

I bought all the state data books and GPX data for the state of Indiana off of the ADT's website. Im thinking about buying a Garmin eTrex 20 as my unit for the ADT and the GDMBR. Do you think this is a good choice?

Also, after i download all the GPX data from the ADT's website, i noticed that it only gives me the waypoints, rather than the full track's. When i record GPX tracks on my smartphone, it shows the line in between waypoints rather than just the waypoint itself. How difficult do you think route finding will be as a i make my way accross Indiana?

Thanks, Jared "Earlybird" Weber. AT 13' Feb 14 - June 26

DeerPath
12-12-2013, 11:20
I have an Samsung Galaxy S4 Android phone and down loaded GPS Essentials, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mictale.gpsessentials , and loaded the State Data Books and GPX Data into it. You can read the data books and have the waypoints in GPS Essentials. I like this system better than my Garmin Oregon 450t which only loads the waypoints.

Happy Trails

lilricky
12-18-2013, 00:06
The Etrex 20 is a great choice, its light, full featured and will show tracks, topos, and waypoints. It also connects to GPS, WAAS, EGNOS, and GLONASS. Not sure why the ADT's track isn't showing up, could you give me a link to the download page? I'll take a look at it and see if there is anything wrong with the track.

DeerPath, did you select the track in the track manager and select show on map?

SunnyWalker
12-18-2013, 10:19
Garmin Oregon 450 or similar models.

slbirdnerd
12-18-2013, 13:33
I'm stuck between the Etrex and a Deloreme InReach, so I'll be watching your thread. Have a good and safe run!

Preacher_68
12-22-2013, 17:38
download Back Country Navigator and use your phone. Handy app you can download maps for use when your phone has no reception its 10 bucks and works well for me.

DeerPath
12-23-2013, 15:10
download Back Country Navigator and use your phone. Handy app you can download maps for use when your phone has no reception its 10 bucks and works well for me.

After reading your post I realized I had BackCountry Navigator and loaded the ADT GPX on it. I believe BackCountry Nav is much better than GPX Essentials.
Happy Trails