PDA

View Full Version : Central Maine Camping Spots

Kerosene
12-12-2013, 11:40
I'm going through withdrawal after not being able to do an AT section hike this year, so I'm back to planning for a September 2014 hike from Rangeley to Monson. I've heard that the Rangeley to Stratton section rivals Wildcat to Grafton Notch in difficulty, and I'm a bit concerned about trying to do to much and "blowing out" my knees the first few days, but if I'm too slow then it's going to be tough to get enough time off.

I was hoping there might be tenting spots (not necessarily near water) in several sections that would work for my schedule:

1) Anything between Poplar Ridge LT (milepoint 209.3 or thereabouts) north to Spaulding Mtn. LT, including perhaps anything on the side trail up to Mt. Abraham.

2) Anything between Spaulding Mtn. (milepoint 201.3) and the Carrabasset River ford.

3) Anything between the Crocker Cirque Campsite (milepoint 195.1) and Stratton/ME-27.

4) Anything between West Carry Pond LT (milepoint 165.2) and Pierce Pond LT, so I wouldn't have to try to pull a 14 mile day in September to get to the Kennebec before the last canoe at 4 pm. In particular, I was wondering if there was anything near the "Main Logging Road" at milepoint 159.4.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Slo-go'en
12-12-2013, 12:24
I'd say probably not except for #4. Between the dense forest, the boulders on the ground and forest litter, bogs in flat, low laying areas, steep trail the rest of the way, finding a spot to tent (when you need it) can be a difficult task. Looking at the topo map for that section, doesn't look encouraging. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

The 14 miles to the Kennebec looks pretty easy (relatively speaking). The trail goes through a lot of bogs on that streach, but the area around the logging road looks like it might be suitable. But be careful, many times what looks to be a nice little spot for a tent is in the middle of a moose path and you don't want to have one of those stumble into your tent early in the morning!

ChinMusic
12-12-2013, 12:31
RE #4: That section is about as easy as Maine gets. 14 will feel like 9.

Kerosene
02-18-2014, 23:01
But be careful, many times what looks to be a nice little spot for a tent is in the middle of a moose path and you don't want to have one of those stumble into your tent early in the morning!Reminds my of when I had to setup my tent in the middle of the trail north of Pinkham Notch next to a boggy area, right after I heard a h-u-g-e moose bashing through the trees. I didn't think twice until I laid down to sleep, and by that time I just said WTH.

Meriadoc
02-18-2014, 23:52
From 2012:
(1) I don't remember any.
(2) I don't remember any.
(3) On the climb down into Stratton there is one campsite. I'm not sure how far it is from Stratton - I have it marked as 2.5-3 miles but that could be wrong. I remember that there were some dead trees nearby that made me like it less. I wasn't in the mood to hike and so I stayed.
(4) At East Carry Pond we found campsites above the beach (to the south, climb up a little). Not a great location because of LNT but it was there. Pretty sure. There's always the option of cowboy camping on the beach in nice weather too.

A tent will be harder to find sites for than a hammock. But I distinctly remember at #3 wishing I had a tent so that I could move away from the dead trees.

rangeley
02-18-2014, 23:58
There's a couple awesome spots just north of Oberton stream. These are maybe two miles or so past poplar ridge LT and at the base of lone Mt. Its right along an old railroad bed next to a sweet waterfall that flows into Oberton stream. I spent a night there this past summer and a few ladies were tenting in another spot just down the track. They helped me get my bear bag out of the tree after i got the rope tangled up trying to get it down. I can find out the exact mileage for you tomorrow morning

rangeley
02-19-2014, 00:02
Ps September is the best (dryer and less bugs) time to hike in Maine!
also I highly reccomend a night at Horns Pond LT and tent site up on the bigelows

peakbagger
02-19-2014, 07:38
I'm going through withdrawal after not being able to do an AT section hike this year, so I'm back to planning for a September 2014 hike from Rangeley to Monson. I've heard that the Rangeley to Stratton section rivals Wildcat to Grafton Notch in difficulty, and I'm a bit concerned about trying to do to much and "blowing out" my knees the first few days, but if I'm too slow then it's going to be tough to get enough time off.

I was hoping there might be tenting spots (not necessarily near water) in several sections that would work for my schedule:

1) Anything between Poplar Ridge LT (milepoint 209.3 or thereabouts) north to Spaulding Mtn. LT, including perhaps anything on the side trail up to Mt. Abraham. There are open woods near Orbeton Stream plus the old road bed

2) Anything between Spaulding Mtn. (milepoint 201.3) and the Carrabasset River ford. Not a lot of options here, there are some open softwoods just after the Sugarloaf Spur Trail but before the top of Sugarloaf cirque. I believe there are a couple of small streams that cross the Sugarloaf Spur but most of the spur tails is dense spruce.

3) Anything between the Crocker Cirque Campsite (milepoint 195.1) and Stratton/ME-27. Plenty of woods between North Crocker and RT 17. I expect once you have gone over the height of land its an easy walk to 17.

4) Anything between West Carry Pond LT (milepoint 165.2) and Pierce Pond LT, so I wouldn't have to try to pull a 14 mile day in September to get to the Kennebec before the last canoe at 4 pm. In particular, I was wondering if there was anything near the "Main Logging Road" at milepoint 159.4. The AT between East Carry Pond and Pierce pond is easy walking and I expect you can find some woods. Most folsk stay at the lean to, get breakfast at the sporting camp and take their time going down tot he canoes crossing is mid to late morning.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Kerosene
02-19-2014, 11:42
Perfect. Thanks for all the expert insight guys!