PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a tent

laurmol
12-12-2013, 12:40
I am a female hiker planning a SOBO thru hike 2014. I am making my gear list now and one thing I completely overwhelmed with is tent choice. There are so many options! My friend is bringing a tarp and doesn't want tent (less weight and setup). I've been trying to narrow it down and find an affordable tent with easy setup and preferably 3 season. Any suggestions would be so helpful!

Austin 2014
12-12-2013, 13:24
I found a nearly new MSR Hubba on ebay for a great price. It's the perfect size to fit me and my pack and is super easy to set up. I'm really liking it so far.

Starchild
12-12-2013, 13:32
Not cheap, but I found the zpack heximid at about a pound perfect for my thru. Perfect mainly because it was about a pound.

Chubbs4U
12-12-2013, 13:34
If you could give a price range that you want to spend Im sure the suggestions that follow will be more helpful. I assume lighter the better.

bfayer
12-12-2013, 14:34
Open questions like this are like asking people what their favorite color is :)

What is your price range?
What is more important to you weight or space?
Do you normally hike with hiking poles?
Is freestanding important to you and why?
Do you plan on staying in shelters more, so the tent is more of a backup, or will it be your primary shelter?

Ok now that that is over :) Without knowing more, I highly recommend a tent with the door(s) on the side. Climbing in and out the end of a tent every day gets old.

Astro
12-12-2013, 14:49
The first tent I bought for the AT was a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. I enjoyed it, but since my son stopped hiking with me, I have now bought a Fly Creek UL1 which is smaller and lighter. With a tarp or utilizing your poles, I realize you can get even lighter, but this is easy to set up and good for me.

juma
12-12-2013, 15:02
tarptent rainbow, about 34oz. selfsupporting with hiking poles. can get by with a smaller flat space to set it up and I find that to be an important feature.

scope
12-12-2013, 15:22
I don't always tent, but when I do, I prefer one of these...

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html

Shae
12-12-2013, 15:37
TarpTent Notch works great for me. Light, easy set up, roomy enough.

slbirdnerd
12-12-2013, 15:40
I gave the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 which I love. Whatever you get, if you can manage the cost and weight of a 2 person, you'll be glad you did--room for you and your stuff in the pouring rain. :)

HooKooDooKu
12-12-2013, 17:08
I've tried a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 and hated it.

For starters, I didn't like the door at the head of the tent. You had to try to slide in and out of your tent.
But what was worst is that there are only three tent poles touching the ground. This REQUIRES that you stake out the sides of the tent, just to get the walls off of you. But even then, the walls were much too close to me for comfort.

If you move upto the UL2, the larger space might help with the way the side walls come together towards the feet. But you still have to access the entry from the head.

While I have not tried it, if I were in the market for a tent, I would purchase the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 or UL2.
These are side entry tents with four tent poles touching the ground. The space inside should be more open, and these are side entry tents.

They (Fly Creek and Copper Spur) are not the cheapest tents, but that is because of their light weight.

Venchka
12-12-2013, 17:17
tarptent rainbow, about 34oz. selfsupporting with hiking poles. can get by with a smaller flat space to set it up and I find that to be an important feature.

TarpTent. Spend more than you think you are able to spend. The tent will be with you a awhile. Trying to "cheap out" on important gear always ends up costing more in the long run. Side entry doors are good. Two side entry doors are even better when the elements are trying to get inside your tent. Look at the enclosed, weatherproof space in tents before looking at the overall weight.
Buy quality once.

Wayne

laurmol
12-12-2013, 18:41
Thanks everyone! I definitely think I'll do a side entry. And I want to stay on budget of less than $300. I will not have hiking poles, at least when I start, I may pick some up along the way of I decide it's difficult without them.

Drybones
12-12-2013, 19:30

+1...I've been through several tents and the Notch is far and away my favorite. 26 oz, set up literally in a minute, kept me dry in downpours, simple....and one of the things I like most...I hang my pack on one of the supporting hiking poles so I have access to everything while in the tent and can pack up inside when it's raining.

Drybones
12-12-2013, 19:32
Thanks everyone! I definitely think I'll do a side entry. And I want to stay on budget of less than $300. I will not have hiking poles, at least when I start, I may pick some up along the way of I decide it's difficult without them.

I started hiking without poles, someone convinced me to try them and I've been with them since.

Old Hiker
12-12-2013, 19:34
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions&highlight=

Depends on your size. Sorta expensive - not freestanding, but I love mine. I started with an ALPS Zephyr 1 and love it, but the SoLong took almost 2 pounds off. I've updated to the double door, green color I wanted. Ms. Gross replaced the small zippers with larger ones for a nominal fee and I'm even happier. I bought the tent poles, as I use a rake handle and natural stave for hiking instead of the "flimsy" hiking poles that are normally used to set up the SoLong.

If you are planning to continue hiking after the AT, then I suggest high-quality gear. Keep looking at the Used Gear section here on White Blaze as well.

Good luck!

bfayer
12-12-2013, 19:39

I would look closely at Lightheart and Traptent. I know you will not be using hiking poles, but you can get either carbon fiber or aluminum poles to go with the tent. If you decide to go with hiking poles later, you can ship the tent poles home and use your hiking poles to save weight.

A lightheart Solo is about $200, Solong 6 is $250 (depending on options), and a Tarptent Rainbow is about $245. Add poles and you are still in your price range.

Also in that range is the SMD Skyscape and some of MLDs stuff.

HeartFire
12-12-2013, 20:18
LightHeart Gear - Made by a woman with women in mind! On sale till the end of the year.

bfayer
12-12-2013, 20:27
LightHeart Gear - Made by a woman with women in mind! On sale till the end of the year.

Heartfire, tell us what you really think? No need to hide your true feelings :)

Still love my Solong 6 by the way!!!

oldwetherman
12-12-2013, 20:28
I'd vote or a Tarptent Notch if you were using trekking poles. Since you're not using trekking poles I vote for the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. The free standing Copper Spur will make it easier to set up on a tent platform too

q-tip
12-12-2013, 20:58
Tarptent-Contrail
my go to tent-- or the new Notch

SunnyWalker
12-12-2013, 21:31
From heaviest to lightest:
Clip Flashlight
Eureka Solitiare (my favorite one person tent, 41 oz.)
Hennessee Hammock
Gatewood Cape (Poncho doubles as a tarp, real light option).

Whack-a-mole
12-13-2013, 07:49
I have a clip flashlight, and once I got my Big Agnes copper spur, I'll never stay in the clip fl again. The BA is twice as big for a lot less weight. A door and vestibule on each side. Enough headroom to sit up and move around, the list goes on and on. I could never recommend the clip fl anymore. I'm not saying that it's not a good little reliable tent, but it has seen its day. There are much better options out there.

Feral Bill
12-13-2013, 09:11
LightHeart Gear - Made by a woman with women in mind! On sale till the end of the year. And a very nice woman at that.

Old Hiker
12-13-2013, 11:27

OK, now I'm insulted ! :eek: I've bought 3: 2 SoLong 6's and one Solo. I may not be a MAN (married 38 years - housebreaking still in progress), but I'm fairly sure I'm not a woman!!!

Ender
12-13-2013, 11:45

Still on my radar as my most wanted tent... if I ever scrape together enough scratch I'm so getting one of these in cuben fabric.

Sigh... I need to win the lottery.

Astro
12-13-2013, 12:08
OK, now I'm insulted ! :eek: I've bought 3: 2 SoLong 6's and one Solo. I may not be a MAN (married 38 years - housebreaking still in progress), but I'm fairly sure I'm not a woman!!!

Too Funny! :)

scope
12-13-2013, 13:59
You want to get you some cheap poles, trust me - $20-30 at most. Then get more expensive ones if you like. You ever done much real hiking without poles? I admit, it sounds like an unneeded item, but they truly are a valuable item, if not an absolute necessity. Plus, they can be multifunctional around camp, especially if you go with a Lunar Duo, which is what I would recommend for a tent. Frankly, what would I be doing with my hands otherwise? If you swing your hands beside you like when you walk normally, you will find they swell after a while. Poles keep them up.

slbirdnerd
12-13-2013, 15:36

I forgot about the Copper Spur, good suggestion from someone. That would be my next tent and you should be able to find one on sale or used within your budget. As for the poles, you don't need to spend boucoup dollars on them. Start with cheap ones, or I tell you, find a sturdy stick. I'm on my second AT book in which the hiker made their own. Wait, third: Odyssa used a MOP HANDLE. Whatever you try, it will be useful.

M C
12-13-2013, 16:25
Still on my radar as my most wanted tent... if I ever scrape together enough scratch I'm so getting one of these in cuben fabric.

Sigh... I need to win the lottery.

Just ordered a SoLong 6 in cuben. 2 doors, 2 awnings. Judy, Marc said I should expect to receive it in just a couple days, right? (just kidding, I'm not anxious or anything :banana )
Now I'm off to play the lottery. If that doesn't pan out, I suppose I could brush up on my sewing skills and work off my order?

Slo-go'en
12-13-2013, 17:01
Better get a two person tent if your friend is only taking a tarp :) He/she/it is going to want to be in your tent to get away from the bugs.

I like the SMD Skyscape Trekker, but it requires two hiking poles for set up. As you can see, everyone has thier favorate tent (which is often the one they just happend to buy).

It's really hard to choose a tent based on pictures on the internet. Retail stores only carry a small selection of tents and often not the kind you'd want for a through hike. If you could spend a few days or a week camped out someplace on the AT in Georgia in early April, you'd get to see a wide selection of different tents in use as the NOBO's go past. I'm sure most would be happy to let you check out thier tents.

SunnyWalker
12-15-2013, 15:30
Luaramol: before you decide check out the six moon designs light weight tents. With the budget you have these are an option. Very lightweight. Also hikelight.com tents. On the hikelight.com there are a lot of videos about such things as this that are very informative. Try it out, you'll be glad you did.

laurmol
12-19-2013, 14:55
Luaramol: before you decide check out the six moon designs light weight tents. With the budget you have these are an option. Very lightweight. Also hikelight.com tents. On the hikelight.com there are a lot of videos about such things as this that are very informative. Try it out, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks, great source!

Ladytrekker
12-19-2013, 17:18
I use a montbell crescent 2 light and packs up small what I like about is the tent and rain fly are attached so inside tent stays while pitching in the rain and one side rolls up for viewing if you want. What I don't like about is it is not free standing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Tuckahoe
12-19-2013, 17:28
+1 for Judy and Lightheart tents. I had a LHG Solo and enjoyed it a lot. First plus for me is that the Solo is more accurately a "1 person +" tent. Its not small and cramped as many 1 person tents often are. There is plenty of room for yourself and your gear without being shoehorned into the tent. The rainfly is also easily rolled back for ventilation and views. The tent packs small and light as well.

Nuggz
12-19-2013, 17:30
I have a Tarptent Notch used about 5 times that I'm about to put up for sale in the Buy/Sale section if you are interested. I think it's about 26oz.

Nuggz
12-19-2013, 17:34
It's already seam sealed from the manufacturer too. I bought it off someone a few months ago when I was debating on whether to tent or hammock next year. I decided on the hammock.

rangeley
12-19-2013, 18:27
How much for the notch?

faxanadu
12-19-2013, 18:53
I got my Copper Spur UL1 for around 300 because REI had a $100 off coupon they sent to me. The tent held up great and can almost fit 2 people.

gypsy97
12-19-2013, 22:22
I'm also looking for a lightweight 2 person tent, but with only 1 door & vestibule. Prefer side entry, but not a necessity. I'd like to know if solos using a tent with 2 doors think there is a good enough reason to get the extra door, when it seems to me to have to add weight. Thanks.

ezdoesit
12-19-2013, 22:36
May I suggest a hammock once you try one you'll never go back to the ground :)

Toon
12-19-2013, 23:08

+1

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Nuggz
12-20-2013, 10:00
How much for the notch?

I've personally never even used it. He claimed it was used about 5 times and it looks like it was used about 5 times. I think its the 2013 model too.

Asking $210 shipped...

Old Hiker
12-20-2013, 13:12
I'm also looking for a lightweight 2 person tent, but with only 1 door & vestibule. Prefer side entry, but not a necessity. I'd like to know if solos using a tent with 2 doors think there is a good enough reason to get the extra door, when it seems to me to have to add weight. Thanks.

I wanted 2 doors for my SoLong 6 in case I had someone else sharing the tent. I also like the option of getting out either side, although I'll probably just use the awning side. I don't think it added very much weight, but with this tent taking 2 pounds off from my old tent, I'm not gonna kick about it.

Had to go back to a tent after finding out I couldn't get out of my hammock in cold (30ish *), blowing rain in the morning. Best night's sleep I ever have, but I need space to get dressed, out of the wind !! A decent pad helps, though.

Deadeye
12-20-2013, 13:15

ditto... unless you decide to look at a hammock

Ender
12-20-2013, 13:21

Just as an FYI, for me that proved to not be true. I used a hammock for my PCT thru attempt, and for a few years afterwards. But eventually I decided to go back to tenting. With a NeoAir pad it's almost (though admittedly not quite) as comfortable, but with a TON more space inside. I really just got sick of not having everything I wanted in the shelter with me. Also, even with an underquilt, the things are still a hassle to get in and out of, and it makes getting up in the middle of the night to pee that much more annoying.

So yeah, I went back to ground. Because in the end it was almost as comfortable, and a boatload easier. I still occasionally hammock, but it's no longer my go-to shelter.

That's just me though. Many other people have had different results.

Lucy Lulu
12-20-2013, 15:14
You are right. Choosing a tent can be tough because of all the choices. I've gone through several over the past few years. A quick summary...

I loved the room in my Black Diamond Firstlight, and always felt snug and secure...until it rained. The Epic fabric would get saturated and I would wake up with the tenting "misting" on me. Now I just use it for winter hiking. It is a great winter tent for me.

I used a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 out west. It was a great, light three season tent that kept me nice and dry when needed. It is several years old, but still in good shape. Some people don't like the front entrance, but I never minded it.

I decided to go a little lighter and switched to a Wild Oasis tarp from Six Moons. It held up remarkably well, but doesn't have a floor, and I always missed that critter protection.

I most recently used Hexamid's Solo-plus. Originally, it had no beak, and I got splashed in heavy rain. I sent it back and got a beak...problem solved. It is great because it has a full net floor, and I also liked the detachable cuben floor.

I still miss a free standing tent, but as I get older I've found that reducing weight as much as possible makes the hikes much more pleasant for me, and my feet definitely appreciate it.

Good luck with your choice and hike!

louisb
12-20-2013, 15:33
I just ordered a Solong6 in Cuban. I did a lot of research before ordering and read nothing but good reviews on this tent. The deciding factor for me was the 1+ sizing and the number of options. Judy was great in taking the time to go over the options with me on the phone to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. I ended up with a sil nylon floor, 1.5 doors (for entry and accessing the rear vestibule from inside) and the awning option. While the Cuban is cool the Sil Nylon is still under 2 lbs and half the price for those wanting to save money. I already use Black Diamond poles so that was a non-issue for me.

Thanks,

--louis

Turk6177
12-20-2013, 17:26
I have the MSR Hubba and I could not be happier. I have used it in downpours, wind (yet no snow yet). It is light. I would usually have it set up way faster than my friend who uses a hammock. In warm nights you can leave the fly off. You can use the fly to hang over the front of a cold shelter. It has a nice vestibule to put your pack or shoes or water on a dry night. I guarantee if you buy a Hubba, you will not regret it. Lastly (ps I guess) it does not need to be tied down to use.

Nick P
12-20-2013, 19:09
Eureka Solitaire is cheap, and only 2 lbs, and close to a bivy. I am dusting mine off for a SOBO thru.

bobp
12-20-2013, 20:48
Eureka Solitaire is cheap, and only 2 lbs, and close to a bivy. I am dusting mine off for a SOBO thru.

The Solitaire is greatly improved by swapping out the fiberglass poles for a set of aluminum poles.

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2013, 23:43

I am currently in love with my Tarpent double rainbow. Made in the USA, costs well under $300, weighs 2lbs, can be freestanding if you are using poles, has plenty of room for me to sit up and for me to lay out my gear to dry. I really can't say enough good things about it and the combination of roominess, comfort and fast setup are well worth the couple more ounces versus the UL one person tents.

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2013, 23:47
I'd vote or a Tarptent Notch if you were using trekking poles. Since you're not using trekking poles I vote for the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. The free standing Copper Spur will make it easier to set up on a tent platform too

I've used the copper spur 1 on several occasions and don't recommend it. The tent is way too expensive for what it offers, feels like a tiny coffin that you cant sit up in and isn't any lighter or roomier than a similarly sized Tartpent or Lightheart gear tent.

Nick P
12-21-2013, 00:16
The Solitaire is greatly improved by swapping out the fiberglass poles for a set of aluminum poles.

I've been looking for a set of alum poles, but no success. The ones on Eureka's site aren't the right length, right?

CalebJ
12-21-2013, 00:58
Best case scenario would be finding an old Gossamer somebody was tossing. Even if the fabric was wrecked, the poles would be perfect.

CalebJ
12-21-2013, 01:02
Like this:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/4176467833.html

bobp
12-21-2013, 10:40
Best case scenario would be finding an old Gossamer somebody was tossing. Even if the fabric was wrecked, the poles would be perfect.

Not quite. I own both (shhh, don't tell my wife), and the Gossamer poles use a ring-and-rod fastener (a small rod goes into the hollow end of an aluminum pole to connect the pole to the body), while the latest Solitaire uses end tabs on the poles that go into grommets in webbing on the tent body. The pole lengths seem different. There are Canadian Solitaires that are sold with aluminum poles, but I could never lay my hands on a set of poles. I eventually ordered a set of aluminum poles for about $50 from tentpoletechnologies.com . I am very happy with them, although I now own a $25 tent (Eureka's on-line outlet store has some great deals) with $50 poles. That is still a bit less than a new Solitaire will set you back at retail.

CalebJ
12-21-2013, 10:46
Not quite. I own both (shhh, don't tell my wife), and the Gossamer poles use a ring-and-rod fastener (a small rod goes into the hollow end of an aluminum pole to connect the pole to the body), while the latest Solitaire uses end tabs on the poles that go into grommets in webbing on the tent body. The pole lengths seem different. There are Canadian Solitaires that are sold with aluminum poles, but I could never lay my hands on a set of poles. I eventually ordered a set of aluminum poles for about $50 from tentpoletechnologies.com . I am very happy with them, although I now own a $25 tent (Eureka's on-line outlet store has some great deals) with $50 poles. That is still a bit less than a new Solitaire will set you back at retail.
Good catch. I've used both tents but several years apart and missed that difference. Shame.

sfdoc
12-21-2013, 11:31
Kelty Salida. 4.8lbs. Approx $150 @ Amazon. Best of luck on your hike. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

LIhikers
12-21-2013, 13:06
Make sure to look at the Tarptent Rainbow.
It's light, roomy, and can be freestanding by the addition of some tent poles if you don't use hiking poles.

Nick P
12-21-2013, 13:54

Great idea; thanks!
n

msumax1985
12-26-2013, 14:46
I did a ton of research after my one month section hike last April. Wound up selling my Tarptent and purchased a Copper Spur UL1. I then used it on a one week section this fall and LOVE it. Here's why:

--I also hate the front entry, prefer side entry.
--I prefer a totally contained tent. The Tarptent and similar designs are open around the bottom only sealed by mesh. Rain and wind definitely get inside over time. Copper Spur is totally contained.
--I also wanted a self standing tent, if possible. Copper Spur is great for this. All four corners are pushed snuggly away maximizing interior space.
--Copper Spur is 22 square feet compared with 18-20 of most other one person tents. There was plenty of room for my gear inside the tent.
--much lighter than similar lower cost tents. There are several ooptions in the $150-220 range, but they are much heavier.
--I researched over time and eventually found it on sale for $279 incl shipping and free footprint.

nu2hike
12-26-2013, 22:33
+ however many for the Copper Spur. UL 1. I had the BA Flycreek 2 but hated the front entry! I found it impossible to get in and out of in the rain without getting water inside!
I love the side entry and vestibule on the CS!
Having said all that my goto sleep system is a hammock! :)

SunnyWalker
01-05-2014, 16:00
Lauramol: let us know what you end up with!

Old Hiker
01-05-2014, 18:23
Lauramol: let us know what you end up with!

And why.

And then a follow-up with a critique about your new tent and if it is working for you, please. Seriously. It may hep other people and their decisions.

Duramax22
01-06-2014, 17:28
big agnes seedhouse sl1