PDA

View Full Version : Considering some trekking poles...

TSWisla
12-12-2013, 13:55
...will be continuing where I left off last year on the AT. Second outing and I was considering some poles, any suggestions? Things to consider?

Rocket Jones
12-12-2013, 14:11
I love my Pacer Poles, and if there's anything I would change about them it would be replacing the twist-locks with flick-locks. Someone very recently posted about a new pole company... American Walking Sticks or something like that.

Odd Man Out
12-12-2013, 15:25
I like my Black Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork.

They do have aluminum and carbon shafts. They have flick locks, which seem to be very popular. The cork grips feel nice. The padded wrist straps are very deluxe. Ergo, refers to ergonomic in that the handles are at a slight angle for easier gripping - a bit like the pacer poles, but not so extreme. They are not particularly light, so if that is important, you should look elsewhere.

Coffee
12-12-2013, 15:33
I also have the Black Diamond Carbon Cork (is this different from the Ergo Cork)? I really like it but have read that it is somewhat heavier than other trekking poles but since it is the only pair of poles I have owned, they seem light to me. I like the fact that they appear very strong since I use them for my shelter. I went through some pretty heavy winds and these poles seemed rock solid.

Shae
12-12-2013, 15:35
Ditto on the Black Diamond Corks. Great tent poles for my Tarptent Notch also.

slbirdnerd
12-12-2013, 15:38
Yes on the Black Diamond Ergo Cork, I love mine. Regardless, something with flick locks. But definitely get poles, even if you only use one at a time they are incredibly useful and save wear and tear on the body. If I take my second pole I lash it in with my sleeping pad.

oldwetherman
12-12-2013, 20:39
I have Black Diamond carbon cork also and like them. Only problem with them is replacement tips are impossible o find....especially in AT trail towns. Every outfitter along the AT stocks tips for Leki's though.

SunnyWalker
12-12-2013, 21:32
Leki Corklite. Used them on CDT. So far so good. Just about any hiking poles will work well though. You'll notice a big difference on the downhill especially and probably like it.

Trebor66
12-12-2013, 21:48
I use the REI Traverse poles. Aluminum shaft, flick lock, cork handles, padded wrist strap, made by Komperdell. They cost about 50 bucks less than the Lekis and are backed by the REI return policy. I have had mine for several years now and they have performed flawlessly.

Elder
12-12-2013, 22:34
I love my Pacer Poles, and if there's anything I would change about them it would be replacing the twist-locks with flick-locks. Someone very recently posted about a new pole company... American Walking Sticks or something like that.
www.americantrekkingpoles.com (http://www.americantrekkingpoles.com) Thanks

Astro
12-12-2013, 23:33
Leki Corklite. Used them on CDT. So far so good. Just about any hiking poles will work well though. You'll notice a big difference on the downhill especially and probably like it.

+1 on Leki Corklite. Make you get the flip locks instead of the twisting one (last longer and easier to use).

Leanthree
12-12-2013, 23:54
+1 on Leki Corklite. Make you get the flip locks instead of the twisting one (last longer and easier to use).

+2

Most of the recommendations are likely good in here. I would generally decide if you like a slightly angled grip or straight as that is the biggest style difference personal preference. For your first set of poles, I'd get adjustable ones. If you find yourself hiking and never changing the length then you can start looking into fixed as they are a bit lighter.

Starchild
12-13-2013, 09:57
I used the REI Carbon poles on my thru, very light weight compared to AL poles and to many other carbon poles as well. Here is my list of considerations:

1 - forget twist lock - use the snap lock (flick lock) or fixed length if you like them
2 - Consider the use of your poles as a tent pole - this would mean a adjustable length pole (or a lot of fiddling sometimes with a fixed length to use as a tent pole), so not a fixed or 'z' pole - though some of Black Diamond's Z poles do allow some degree of adjustment. Even if you don't use such a tent now, having the adjustability gives you that option in the future.

3 - Carbon is not always lighter then Aluminum, the one used was lighter, but many were just as heavy.
4 - The poles I used seemed more fragile then AL, perhaps with heavier carbon this would not be the case. but then again the main selling point of carbon AFAIK is light weight. They broke 4 x on my thru, (2 non-critical shaft breaks - still could use by readjusting the length of the other segment, one hardened tip broke off - replaced by REI, 1 critical shaft break - replaced by REI ).
5 - Carbon is by far warmer in the winter if you are in the habit of carrying it by the shaft, AL will suck the heat away from your hands very quickly.

If I was doing another thru I would strongly reconsider the REI Carbon, however I am somewhat hesitant to recommend them for day hiking if you are the type of person that likes to keep his hiking equipment in his car and also hike in large groups. They just would seem subject to accidental breakage. For winter hiking I went back to my twist lock Leki's as I feel they are more durable for in car storage and ultra light weight doesn't mean as much for day hiking.

Trebor66
12-13-2013, 11:00
I used the REI Carbon poles on my thru, very light weight compared to AL poles and to many other carbon poles as well. Here is my list of considerations:

1 - forget twist lock - use the snap lock (flick lock) or fixed length if you like them
2 - Consider the use of your poles as a tent pole - this would mean a adjustable length pole (or a lot of fiddling sometimes with a fixed length to use as a tent pole), so not a fixed or 'z' pole - though some of Black Diamond's Z poles do allow some degree of adjustment. Even if you don't use such a tent now, having the adjustability gives you that option in the future.

3 - Carbon is not always lighter then Aluminum, the one used was lighter, but many were just as heavy.
4 - The poles I used seemed more fragile then AL, perhaps with heavier carbon this would not be the case. but then again the main selling point of carbon AFAIK is light weight. They broke 4 x on my thru, (2 non-critical shaft breaks - still could use by readjusting the length of the other segment, one hardened tip broke off - replaced by REI, 1 critical shaft break - replaced by REI ).
5 - Carbon is by far warmer in the winter if you are in the habit of carrying it by the shaft, AL will suck the heat away from your hands very quickly.

If I was doing another thru I would strongly reconsider the REI Carbon, however I am somewhat hesitant to recommend them for day hiking if you are the type of person that likes to keep his hiking equipment in his car and also hike in large groups. They just would seem subject to accidental breakage. For winter hiking I went back to my twist lock Leki's as I feel they are more durable for in car storage and ultra light weight doesn't mean as much for day hiking.

They broke 4 times in 5 months and you still strongly recommend them? That's a little surprising to me.

Ender
12-13-2013, 11:50
I'm a big Black Diamond fan.

Starchild
12-13-2013, 12:29
They broke 4 times in 5 months and you still strongly recommend them? That's a little surprising to me.

Yes for a thru where light weight is critical. I have not found a lighter collapsible pole. Without the garentee however I would not be so ready to recommend them or use them.

Also there was only 1 time out of the 4 that it was a immediate no longer can use and that was during a rescue effort on Mt Washington that I did during my thru, which was really pushing the limits of any pole. The other 2 times it broke it was still perfectly usable. When the hardened tip broke out, I still managed to use it for 2 weeks (PA to NY AT train station IIRC), so while it was wearing fast it still could be used.

But practically the poles seem to be designed to last about 1/2 a thru, again without REI standing behind them I would not have considered them.

ChuckT
12-13-2013, 12:30
I just got a pair Leki poles with cork grips. Adjustable with fliplocks. Was surprised to find that there is NO stop on the section ends. If the lock is too loose the section may slide right out. Not good.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
12-13-2013, 12:36
I just got a pair Leki poles with cork grips. Adjustable with fliplocks. Was surprised to find that there is NO stop on the section ends. If the lock is too loose the section may slide right out. Not good.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
If there was a permanent mechanical stop, it would be difficult to replace a broken section. That said, you would think that there would be a "soft stop" that would retain them, but still allow for removal.

Kc Fiedler
12-15-2013, 20:31
The Black Diamond Z-Lite are awesome. I wish I would have spent the extra cash and gotten the carbon models. I love the zlites cause they pack away tiny and weigh very little, super simple deploy method. You don't really need adjustable poles unless you're planning to use them for ski touring or some other activity along side hiking. The adjustments add unnecessary weight. Unless, of course, you think your body height is going to change dramatically during your trip? I think Gossamer Gear makes some single piece carbon poles that are pretty damn light too.

4eyedbuzzard
12-15-2013, 22:54
You don't really need adjustable poles unless you're planning to use them for ski touring or some other activity along side hiking. The adjustments add unnecessary weight. Unless, of course, you think your body height is going to change dramatically during your trip?If you you poles to rig a tarp or tent the height adjustment is usually necessary, and using poles for this has become pretty common practice with many UL tents/tarps.