PDA

View Full Version : A Different Thread for advice on tents (and dog hike advice?)

ktest
12-12-2013, 16:23
Hey ya'll,

I know someone just started a tent thread, but since her needs and mine are undoubtedly different, I didn't want to jack that thread.

I'm planning a thru-hike for 2015 or 2016 but want plenty of time to choose my gear. I'll be hiking with my medium sized dog for most of the trail so I'm looking for at least a 2p. I would prefer something with a bug net and rain fly, and maybe something with a porch-like vestible for doglett to shake off in on rainy days. I'd rather not spend over $200, less weight is better (though I know double layer 2person tents are heavier), and I usually don't use trekking poles (but that may change before my thru).

I also wanted any advice on hiking with a dog. Yes, I know it's going to be a pain. Yes, I know I won't be able to use most shelters with other campers, go into restaurants with a/c in town, she'll affect my mileage and the weight I have to carry and that I'll have to be prepared to get her off the trail if necessary. I'm prepared for that.

During summer heat, I'm weighing the benfits of a swamp cooler vest vs its weight and weight of water to use with it.

Let me know if you have any other input. Please don't be negative, though. I've thought hard on it and can't imagine doing it without her. She loves the trail and I'll love having her experience it with me.

Ironbelly
12-12-2013, 19:03
I can't help much in the tent department as I am a tarp/hammock person. However, i always have my siberian husky with me on my trips. I found the best thing to always have on hand is a small container of mushers secret. In general its a great balm for yourself if you need it, but specifically for dogs it does wonders for their pads. Especially in winter weather, but it can be useful anytime of year especially if they happen to tear up a pad a little bit. Other than that, having a good 20ft tie out of some sort makes life much easier. I have to put my husky on a tie out or she will take off and be long gone before i even realize what happened. But regardless, i think a tie out even if its made out of some light cordage is definitely worth bringing along.

Ironbelly
12-12-2013, 19:04
Oh, and a dog pack of course. Even if they cant carry alot of weight, every little bit helps. Mine carries all of her food and her tie out and water/food bowl.

LoneWolfe
12-12-2013, 19:14
ktest -

I certainly relate to your need to hike with your dog. My 50 lb Australian cattle dog (aka red heeler) goes on all of my BP trips.

I have a Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 with 2 doors. It is what you might call a 1.5 person tent. It has 30 sq ft of space which is more than enough for me, my dog and my gear. The sil nylon version is about 2 pounds. It is a hybrid tent - part double wall and part single wall. It does, however, have very small vestibules. If you have to have a double wall tent, I would check out the tents at tarptent.com - lots of options. These tents are all over $200, but you might be able to pick up a used one up for a good price.

Regarding your dog, I would recommend carrying a set of dog booties for her to wear in the tent to prevent her claws from accidentally ripping the tent. They will also be handy if she sustains a cut on her paw.

Enjoy your adventure with your dog!

Ironbelly
12-12-2013, 20:39
If you go the dog bootie route, they do work, but they can sometimes take alot of training so that your dog will actually keep them on. I tried for a long time to get mine used to them, and she wants no part of them. Enter mushers secret, haha.

fertilizer
12-13-2013, 13:26
Definitely check out Tarptent. I have the Stratospire 1 which has 2 very large vestibules. My dog, a 90lb lab sheppard mix, has no problem fitting in one of the vestibules (where he sleeps) and my gear fits in the other. I wouldn't let you pup sleep in the tent compartment because her claws may tear the floor and/or she'll likely get it real dirty. Finally, make sure you're dog has been vaccinated for Lepto. It isn't always given with the regular battery of vaccinations and can be fatal.

ktest
12-13-2013, 16:19
Fertilizer: What is Lepto? Is this something I should worry about specifically on the AT / east coast or something to worry about in any wilderness area?

I really like both the Squall 2 and the StratoSpire 2. Both are a little out of my price range but I've got plenty of time to find one used. Has anyone used one of these? Is there anywhere on the trail that I won't be able to stake out?

LIhikers
12-13-2013, 22:33
Let me make a suggestion since my wife and I almost always have our 90 pound Shilo Shepherd with us.
Use a Flexi Lead or other adjustable length leash. There will be times you'll want it short and times you'll want it long.

Wise Old Owl
12-14-2013, 00:15
Ironbelly have you attempted to figure out what "Mushers Secret" is?

Wise Old Owl
12-14-2013, 00:21
Let me make a suggestion since my wife and I almost always have our 90 pound Shilo Shepherd with us.
Use a Flexi Lead or other adjustable length leash. There will be times you'll want it short and times you'll want it long.

Yup I agree,,a while back I found "gentle leader" and took a small retractable and pulled it a-part and removed the black cord. Then replaced a slightly longer cord of reflectix from EMS. Then I drilled a hole off to one side in the handle... added a cheap carbiner. Then added a three foot sugical rubber hose to the body of the rope cut off the normal clip and added another Carbiner to the dog connection... Now I can hike - HANDS FREE. Rugby is Happy.