PDA

View Full Version : GOLite Bitterroot on sale

Mags
12-13-2013, 12:11
I normally don't get too ga-ga over gear, but for $170, the Bitteroot is a very good price for a very light (13 oz, Men's M), "burly" down coat. I have the non-Dri Down version I bought a year ago or so and have been super pleased with it for backcountry winter use. It is like wearing a space heater that is almost as light as most three-season puffies. On sale now for the next 13 hours. I have no affiliation with GoLite, just been very pleased with this article of clothing and thought others may, too.

http://www.golite.com/12-Days-of-Savings.aspx

dmath010
12-13-2013, 13:03
I bought this jacket a few weeks ago, as it looked like a dream on paper. I ended up with the following qualms.

-it is sized very large (I'm 5"10, 170 and a small fit a bit big). Not really a complaint, just something to be mindful of.

-this coat is drafty! The zipper lets in quite the chill as do the non adjustable cuffs. I don't remember if the hem is adjustable.

-the biggest problem was the hood. Unless you have a watermelon for a noggin, or consistently wear climbing helmets, this thing is useless. It is absurdly oversized and not adjustable.

However, the amount of down, quality of jacket, an price ARE amazing. Maybe that's enough for you to jump on it, but I was relatively unhappy who my purchase. I received a full refund and purchased a montbell frost parka. A few ounce penalty, but much more feature rich. I'm incredibly happy with my montbell. Of course, YMMV but I wanted to give you my review.

Old Hiker
12-13-2013, 13:04
Mags,

Would that coat like that be overkill for a 29 Feb AT start? I know, I know, weather changes.

How much does it pack down?

Will I get answer in less than 10 hours?

Oh, the suspense. :D

Mags
12-13-2013, 13:54
I wear this for winter layered with a fleece (may account for its running large as it sized for layering. Fits nicely with my winter hat and a climbing helmet FWIW).

It is a winter piece of gear, not 3 season IMO. It packs down, but not as much as you would like for a smaller, three season pack.

Not as full featured as others perhaps. But has worked for me during winter. YMMV.