PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about itinerary for Pinkham Notch to Franconia Notch hike next summer

honu
12-13-2013, 13:14
I'll be finishing up the AT next summer. I've saved the White Mountains for last -- specifically the section between Pinkham Notch and Franconia Notch. My daughter and her boyfriend will be accompanying me for this final section. I am old (mid 60s), but fit for my age and an experienced backpacker. They are young (late 20s), fit, and relatively inexperienced. We are planning to take it easy and splurge by hiking hut to hut to the extent possible. (I know the huts are expensive and controversial, so no need to get into that.) I figure I need to get our hut reservations in early so I need to make some decisions now.

Is a NOBO o SOBO hike better? Or doesn't it make any real difference?

We're thinking late July or early August. Within this time span, does it make an real difference when we go?

From the maps, it looks like trying to get from Mizpah Spring Hut to Zealand Falls Hut in one day is not feasible; that it would be better to take two days and spend the night at Ethan Pond Campsite. Do you agree?

Any other advice welcomed.

hikerboy57
12-13-2013, 13:26
I'll be finishing up the AT next summer. I've saved the White Mountains for last -- specifically the section between Pinkham Notch and Franconia Notch. My daughter and her boyfriend will be accompanying me for this final section. I am old (mid 60s), but fit for my age and an experienced backpacker. They are young (late 20s), fit, and relatively inexperienced. We are planning to take it easy and splurge by hiking hut to hut to the extent possible. (I know the huts are expensive and controversial, so no need to get into that.) I figure I need to get our hut reservations in early so I need to make some decisions now.

Is a NOBO o SOBO hike better? Or doesn't it make any real difference?

We're thinking late July or early August. Within this time span, does it make an real difference when we go?

From the maps, it looks like trying to get from Mizpah Spring Hut to Zealand Falls Hut in one day is not feasible; that it would be better to take two days and spend the night at Ethan Pond Campsite. Do you agree?

Any other advice welcomed.yes ethan pond would be better.that time of year its gonna be crowded, if you're using any of the huts, reserve early. sobo is a little easier than nobo, although i prefer nobo, as the walk up lafayette is one of the highlights of the whites. plan on 8-10 mile days, its pretty rugged stretch.bring plenty of water for the above treeline stretches.if you do go nobo. spend the night at liberty springs, and water up there for the walk to garfield campsite.

tiptoe
12-13-2013, 13:39
My son and I hiked from Moosilauke to Pinkham notch a couple of years ago in mid-August, and were lucky enough to have perfect weather. I'd suggest August instead of July, but others more familiar with the area may have better advice. We stayed at Lake of the Clouds and Madison huts. For what it's worth, we reserved space just a day ahead of time, and it worked out for us. I don't think we were there on weekends, though.

The northbound hike up Lafayette (we camped at Liberty Springs the night before) was definitely a highlight.

Kerosene
12-13-2013, 16:50
I went from Glencliff to Pinkham Notch in September 2006.

If you recall the section from Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch, you probably ended up hiking about a mile-an-hour slower over that section than further south. My pace from Kinsman to Pinkham was comparable to the Mahoosucs.

That said, I do think that you could cover the 14.3 miles from Mizpah Hut to Zaland Falls Hut in a day, as the trail from Crawford Notch to Zealand Falls is markedly easier than other parts of the Whites (that was the only half-day that I averaged over 2.7 mph). The trail down Webster Cliffs is quite steep. You could also consider hiking from LOTC Hut to the AMC Lodge at Crawford Notch.

The NOBO climb up Haystack then along the ridge to Lafayette is exhilirating on a clear day. You might also bake in some extra time to see if you can catch clear skies over Mt. Washington and along Franconia Ridge.

magneto
12-13-2013, 17:13
Bring your cold-weather clothes, we can have snow here in the Whites in any month of the year.

peakbagger
12-14-2013, 11:17
Unfortunately both directions require a steep climb up the first day. The hike from Pinkham to Maddiosn Hut has a several miles of flat stuff before you begin the relentless climb up the Osgood trail. Liberty Spring trail from Franconia has about 1.5 miles and then its right straight up the ridge like a staircase (no swithcbacks on either). The overall elevation gain is just about the same either way. The walk between Lake of the Crowds and Madison is just about equal either way so its a toss up. I personally like descending from Lakes to Mitzpah as generally the weather is best in the AM and degrades after noon so I get the above best above treeline hike done in the AM so south bound wins this one. No preference from Mitzpah to Zealand. No preference from Zealand to Galehead. Galehead to Greenleaf is tough hiking far tougher then the profile looks. I would pick Northbound for this stretch to be able to wake up at Greenleaf above treeline and get the best views of the day rather than risking this stretch in the afternoon.

The options between The stretch between Mitzpah and Zealand is quite long and its in between some rough hiking. I wouldn't push it although the run from RT 302 to Zealand with the exception of the fist climb up out of Crawford Notch is flat using old logging railroads and staying down in the valleys. AMC has a shuttle that will pick you up at RT 302 and bring you up to the Highland Center, there is the Shapleigh Bunkhouse next door which is somewhat lower cost but included all the meal in the main lodge. In the AM they offer a shuttle back down to RT 302.

honu
12-15-2013, 02:00
Really helpful information. Thanks. Anyone else?