PDA

View Full Version : gaitors ?

squeezebox
12-13-2013, 16:51
So what about gaitors ? Yes! No ! Maybe ! 6 oz. is not a small of weight.

johnnybgood
12-13-2013, 17:01
Dirty Girl short gaitors are lightweight and easy to pack.

Rain Man
12-13-2013, 17:04
So what about gaitors ? Yes! No ! Maybe ! 6 oz. is not a small of weight.

I always use 'em. Have three pair, so can select the appropriate ones based on the hike. Haven't weighed them, would think two pair of mine weight well under the 6oz you mention. Of course, the adage is HYOH.

Rain:sunMan

Slo-go'en
12-13-2013, 17:11
Depends on when and where. In the spring, on the AT, thier a good idea. Knee highs keep your pants legs dryish and mud free. I didn't bother to bring any on my latest spring time hike down south and regretted it. I ended up buying an overpriced pair at Fontana Village just to get through the Smokies and was very glad I did.

Once rainy season is over, I don't bother with gaitors again until the fall or winter. However, if you use low cut trail runners, Dirty Girls are a good idea to keep sticks and stones out of your shoes.

Paul the Brit
12-13-2013, 20:31
I use them. In the summer I use deet on them and my boots to prevent ticks getting on me. Mine are gortex and had them years. I like them in snow, rain, dew covered fields, many uses actually!

rocketsocks
12-13-2013, 20:37
I like gators, keeps all the sticks and stones away.

MuddyWaters
12-13-2013, 23:01
Dirty Girl short gaitors are lightweight and easy to pack.

Why would you pack gaiters? your supposed to wear them.

Dirty girls are about 1.5 oz or so I recall. Useful to keep a bit of dirt out of trail runners, and a few small pebbles that make you have to stop to remove. Keeps you moving, and your feet a wee bit cleaner.

johnnybgood
12-14-2013, 11:13
I don't wear mine every day out...depends on how much recent rain/current weather conditions,etc.

If I'm blueblazing off the AT , where streams crossings are common trail inclusions ,then I do wear them every time.

Tipi Walter
12-14-2013, 12:31
I have never worn gaiters and probably never will. But I should wear gaiters in the winter to keep snow out of my boots. Will I start wearing gaiters? Nope.

colorado_rob
12-14-2013, 12:50
I have never worn gaiters and probably never will. But I should wear gaiters in the winter to keep snow out of my boots. Will I start wearing gaiters? Nope. Agree; Gaiters may seem light (not all of them though), but I believe in the rule of thumb: “One pound on your feet is equivalent to Five pounds on your back”. Basically, any extra weight on your feet is an energy waster. In the winter, my soft shell pants have a built in “gaiter”, really just a small strap that seals the pant to the boot. In the summer I always wear low-tops, which actually seal well against my foot below the ankle and nearly always keep everything out of the boot. Higher boots, like mid-height don’t work as well because the ankle bone keeps the boot top from sealing very well.

So, basically, no gaiters, ever. I soak my socks in insect repellant to keep ticks at bay.

SawnieRobertson
12-14-2013, 13:02
Short gaiters are good. They are the best defense against all the small things that can pop into one's shoes/boots.

wornoutboots
12-14-2013, 13:30
I hike in trail runners 90% of the time & wear short gaiter, they don't weigh anything & keep everything out of the shoe. In the winter I switch to a knew high gaiter to keep the snow & ice out. Good Luck!

ChinMusic
12-14-2013, 13:47
Only would consider them on the AT in deep snow.

CarlZ993
12-14-2013, 14:21
Gaitors & liner socks are personal preference things. No right way, wrong way. I've used gaitors for years. Mostly lightweight, non-GoreTex ones. Lessens the stuff that ends up in your shoes/boots. One my thru, I used Dirty Girls gaitors with my trail runners. Really liked them.

If you're in deep snow situations, a GoreTex gaitor would be appropriate & recommended (IMHO).

squeezebox
12-14-2013, 14:30
Thinking Apr 1 start. Did not know dirty girls were that light, looked at rei. I have a foot problem I'll be wearing boots. will they still work ?
Not planning on deep snow.
Thanks !

ChinMusic
12-14-2013, 14:40
Once snow season is over, Dirty Girls are the way to go if you choose to wear gaiters.

Jberczel
12-14-2013, 15:54
Another benefit to gaiters: they keep your socks cleaner. helps when you're only carrying two pairs.

johnnybgood
12-14-2013, 16:53
Thinking Apr 1 start. Did not know dirty girls were that light, looked at rei. I have a foot problem I'll be wearing boots. will they still work ?
Not planning on deep snow.
Thanks !

Dirty Girl shorties are really light. Personally the weight is inconsequential when the desired purpose is to help keep your doggies dry and happy.

Starchild
12-14-2013, 16:58
I used low gators + low top gortex boots as snow boots during my thru. Worked very well. I abandoned the gators somewhere when I was pretty certain that the snow was over, I abandoned the goretex short top boots at Standing Bear, which I got a email from a friend that they still have them if I want to get them.

... I ended up buying an overpriced pair at Fontana Village just to get through the Smokies and was very glad I did.....

Yes try not to have to buy anything at Fontana Village, very overpriced, and that was my resupply location for the smokies :eek:

SunnyWalker
12-14-2013, 18:01
Lightweight Equinox gaiters are real good. See lwgear.com (Lynn Whelden)
-SunnyWalker