PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS for ADT Waypoints.

NaturalHiker
12-14-2013, 15:40
Looking at getting a Garmin eTrex 20 for the Southern Indiana portion of the ADT. Im going to run from the IL/IN border to the IN/OH border over the course of two weeks, hope to average 25-26 miles per day and finish the 366 mile trek in around 2 weeks.

Will the eTrex 20 be sufficient enough to keep me on track with the waypoints provided by Kagi from the ADT's website?

How do you guy's navigate the ADT?

Im unexperienced with using GPS but need to learn quick. I imagine all i'll do is upload the waypoints to the gps unit from the GPX files and then i'll be able to figure it out from there? Just kinda lost and in the dark right now on this whole topic of navigating using only the waypoints.

Thanks, Jared "Earlybird" Weber.

(ps. i made a post in the Geography section as well addressing more issues im having on the same topic right now)

Wise Old Owl
12-14-2013, 16:35
Did you mean ATC? I haven't played with this for about two years and the file is collected from several GPS's and spliced for Google Earth as KML - The GPX file is for the Garmin... but there are too many points for the entire file to work on some GPS. It turned out to be too much for the Oregon model in front of me. I had to get an editor program.

colorado_rob
12-14-2013, 17:24
The eTrex 20 is a fine unit, my son has one, but I use the lighter Garmin Foretrex 401 wrist GPS (though I took off the band and hang it from my neck instead). Plenty of GPS for just following points, measuring miles, making a track, etc. I get about 15 hours out of a set of two AAA batteries.

SunnyWalker
12-14-2013, 17:57
Is the GPS of your choice waterproof? That might turn out to be important. I use a Garmin Oregon 450 on CDT.

DeerPath
12-15-2013, 12:18
I got the free GPS Essentials App for my smartphone, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mictale.gpsessentials&hl=en , and loaded the State Data Books and GPX Waypoints. I like it better on my cell phone than on my Garmin Oregon 450t because I can read the State Data Book, and you can't on the Garmin. The downside is battery life on the phone.
Happy Trails