PDA

View Full Version : Return to Williamstown

punkin pie
12-14-2013, 16:20
Is there a bus station or any other means of shuttling South back to Williamstown, MA from the end of the LT/Canadian border?

Slo-go'en
12-14-2013, 18:03
No. The easiest way out of N. Troy is to turn around and walk! You will either have to hitchhike or arrange for a shuttle. There are significently more cows in the N. Troy area then there are people.

Deacon
12-14-2013, 19:09
Is there a bus station or any other means of shuttling South back to Williamstown, MA from the end of the LT/Canadian border?

What is your ultimate destination? That will determine the best/easiest way out.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2013, 22:23
What is your ultimate destination? That will determine the best/easiest way out.

Yea, it would probably be easier to get to Burlington then back to Williamstown. From Burlington you can go pretty much anywhere.

punkin pie
12-15-2013, 12:52
I would like to get back to PA when I'm finished. Or to a larger town where my wife can pick me up.

Deacon
12-15-2013, 21:42
I would like to get back to PA when I'm finished. Or to a larger town where my wife can pick me up.

Not sure how quickly you need to get home, but If you are open to traveling Amtrak, you could hitch a ride over to St Albans, 50 miles west of N. Troy, catch the Vermonter train that leaves at noon, get off at Springfield Mass. Then transfer to the west bound Lake Shore train. But don't know where in Pennsylvania you need to go.

Great thing about Amtrak, it's hassle free, cheap, and fun to ride.

peakbagger
12-16-2013, 07:41
I would suggest getting the hassle out of the way and starting up north and heading south. There is a east west highway that is the last road crossing before the border. It not a bad walk from the highway along the LT to the border post and then backtracking. Once you leave the public highway, getting a local hitch to the road that accesses the trail to Journeys end is a lot more difficult due to lack of traffic. The road is one lane dirt road with no houses that dead ends in a parking lot for hikers.

DavidNH
12-16-2013, 10:16
At the end of the LT on the Canadian Border.. you still have 2 miles or so to the trail head.. then a couple or a few more miles to walk into North Troy.. unless someone gives you are ride which isn't likely. the folks up there where the unfriendliest I've ever met. One house even had a sign that said go away.

North Troy has no public transport to anywhere. I think, if memory serves, even the bus out of Newport has been discontinued.

In short, you'll need to arrange for a ride or shuttle out of North Troy.

Lynnette
09-23-2014, 15:31
HI. There are shuttles for hire in N. Troy. Once you get south to Williamstown, there is a bus station which actually sells tickets as far south as Waynesboro, PA which is just off I81 north of the MD/PA state line above Frederick MD on the hwy map. There are a couple of other greyhound stops B4 that which may be closer to your wife for pickup. We are doing the same thing, only my husband has to drive up from southern VA.

Another Kevin
09-23-2014, 16:31
Brockway isn't very near to anything, is it?

The nearest real public transportation to N. Troy, as someone already observed, is St Albans, VT, 50 miles west, served by Amtrak.

From there, you could get a train direct to Philadelphia. It would be possible to get a train to Harrisburg the same evening. To go farther west, say, Altoona, you'd have to overnight in Philly and catch a train the following morning.