PDA

View Full Version : Loop in Amicolola?

Nick P
12-14-2013, 17:36
I am looking to check out some winter gear, and have two nights at the state park. I would like to see Springer mt, in case I never finish my ME>GA thru next year...lol. Must I hike in and out on the approach trail, or can I loop it? I want to walk about 20 miles. Any suggestions?
thanks
Nick

Slo-go'en
12-14-2013, 17:52
If you can get your car up the forest service road, you can park 0.9 miles from the summit of Springer. But since you want to do about 20 miles, the apporch is 8 miles, so round trip would be 16 - close enough. Plus there are a couple of options on where to stay along the way. I would do the approch and not have to worry about getting up or down the forest service road.

max patch
12-14-2013, 17:52
Not a true loop, but from AFSP you can hike up the blue blazed approach trail to Springer, and return by a combination of the approach trail and the green blazed Hike Inn trail. From Springer you'll hike about 3 miles on the approach trail when you will run into the Hike Inn trail. That will take you past the Hike Inn and rejoin the approach trail after about 4 miles. This is about a 17 mile hike.

To get closer to 20, when you hit Springer keep going NOBO and in about 1/4 mile you'll hit the intersection of the Benton Mackaye Trail. The BMT will eventually intersect with the AT just N of the Springer parking lot. Turn left on the AT and you are about 1.5 miles from the summit of Springer.

This is will be very clear if you have a map you can look at.

max patch
12-14-2013, 17:55
Hike Inn is about $100 a nite if you want to spend a nite there.

Nick P
12-14-2013, 22:05
Not a true loop, but from AFSP you can hike up the blue blazed approach trail to Springer, and return by a combination of the approach trail and the green blazed Hike Inn trail. From Springer you'll hike about 3 miles on the approach trail when you will run into the Hike Inn trail. That will take you past the Hike Inn and rejoin the approach trail after about 4 miles. This is about a 17 mile hike.

To get closer to 20, when you hit Springer keep going NOBO and in about 1/4 mile you'll hit the intersection of the Benton Mackaye Trail. The BMT will eventually intersect with the AT just N of the Springer parking lot. Turn left on the AT and you are about 1.5 miles from the summit of Springer.

This is will be very clear if you have a map you can look at.

Perfect, Max Patch, and thanks.
I am looking at various maps online, but having never been, wasn't sure of what I was looking at.
Nick

Nick P
12-14-2013, 22:08
If you can get your car up the forest service road, you can park 0.9 miles from the summit of Springer. But since you want to do about 20 miles, the apporch is 8 miles, so round trip would be 16 - close enough. Plus there are a couple of options on where to stay along the way. I would do the approch and not have to worry about getting up or down the forest service road.

Thanks, Slo, but my car probably isn't down. Will check it out, however, and perhaps get further NOBO that way.
Nick

The Solemates
12-15-2013, 09:44
Thanks, Slo, but my car probably isn't down. Will check it out, however, and perhaps get further NOBO that way.
Nick

any car can make it up the forest service road. its just a gravel road, well traveled.