PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear question for AT thru hike

Goji
12-15-2013, 00:12
need some recommendation which one to get for AT thru hike - The Packa or the Frogg Toggs DriDucks or a separate UL rain jacket and a backpack cover or something else? thanks.

ChinMusic
12-15-2013, 00:19
I've tried just about everything. Nothing is perfect. My item of choice is the Packa.

cliffdiver
12-15-2013, 02:22
Here's my two cents: You are going to get wet. For me, had a hooded rain jacket and cheap $5 rain pants from Standing Bear Farm, otherwise I wore shorts. I used a backpack cover, dry bags for critical items and used a heavy duty trash bag as pack liner. Good luck.

Son Driven
12-15-2013, 07:12
My observation on my 2013 AT thru, was I saw a lot of duct tape being used on Frogg Toggs.

w00dchuck
12-15-2013, 09:34
Frog toggs are great for the car or boat for unexpected rain but not for hiking. Friction from waist and shoulder straps will fray and shred them in short order and they will soak you to the bone. I know this from experience due to needing to be rescued from hypothermia by kneels gap during a hike in march 2011. Switched to mountain hardware after that never regretted the expense. IMHO rain gear choice is as important as your tent. Don't scrimp.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2013, 11:50
I've seen Frogg Toggs which were mostly duct tape by the time they get to Maine. But I suppose you could buy 4-5 of them for the price of one good rain jacket. The other problem with the Frogg Toggs is thier kinda bulky.

I ended up with a rain jacket from Cabela's. It's reasonably light weight (~9 oz), packs small (I stuff it between stuff sacks to fill in empty spaces) and keeps me reasonably dry and warm. And since it's Realtree camo, I blend in with the locals...

The problem I have with the Packa is I tend to take my pack on and off a lot during the day. Mainly because I don't use a water bladder and have to take my pack off to get to my water bottles or snacks or check the guide book. To do that with the Packa, you got to take it off. OTOH, the Packa keeps water from running down your back between the pack and the jacket and there are no pressure points (like pack straps) pinching it which is where you will often get leaks due to bleed through.

Nyte
12-15-2013, 12:04
I've seen Frogg Toggs which were mostly duct tape by the time they get to Maine. But I suppose you could buy 4-5 of them for the price of one good rain jacket. The other problem with the Frogg Toggs is thier kinda bulky.

I ended up with a rain jacket from Cabela's. It's reasonably light weight (~9 oz), packs small (I stuff it between stuff sacks to fill in empty spaces) and keeps me reasonably dry and warm. And since it's Realtree camo, I blend in with the locals...

Until November, when the locals sport their blaze orange mating plumage.

polechar
12-15-2013, 12:30
I've also tried everything and for me it has to do with what time of year it is. In the spring and fall when it's cold out I used a quality rain jacket and pants from EMS. They worked very well as wind breakers and add an extra layer when it gets real cold too. In the summer I found them to be way to hot so I switch them out for frog toggs to save weight. I still found them to be hot so most of the time I wouldn't use rain gear and just got wet but they were nice to have when its chilly out and when you stop at a camp site or town. yes they are not that rugged but mine lasted 3 months and then i just threw them out. The packa is a great idea but in the summer I found myself always having the jacket part off of me because of the heat so I didn't think it was worth carrying because its kinda heavy and I preferred having a separate jacket from the pack cover, it does work well though.

Subie Love
12-15-2013, 12:48
I picked up Zpacks cuben fiber jacket and rain skirt for 2014 thru hike. I've never been on the AT so take this for what its worth (not much). The jacket has pit zips to help with breathing and the skirt obviously will breath well and keep my shorts dry. Shoes are going to get wet, no way around it so I opted to not get rain pants and carry the extra weight.

Bags4266
12-15-2013, 12:56
Polechar hit it on the screws. When its a cold rainfall, jacket and pants. Warmer rainfall I go to sil poncho

Starchild
12-15-2013, 13:08
Used 2 pair of frogtoggs. One down south and another up north. This also was the outer layer shell for cold wind and snow. In the middle I went with a emergency poncho that heald up perhaps better then the frog toggs was lighter, cost $0.99, and dried quicker

BrianLe
12-15-2013, 13:52
If it makes economic sense to you to own a jacket you will only use for backpacking or longer day hikes, the Packa is a great item.

While I own one and like it, I do, however, find that I'm using it less than I expected. For my last long trips, I've opted for the flexibility of jacket, pack cover, and rain skirt. The jacket is very light and functions for me as a wind shirt as well (not so easy but still do-able with the packa), and the latter two items are quite light (cuben items). I liked being able to have a "normal" jacket for use on occasion in towns.

I agree that a driducks or frogg toggs jacket might not hold up for a thru-hike; maybe on the PCT, but on trails where you'll be wearing it a lot it could be a PITA. I briefly wore a(n admittedly already well used) driducks jacket early on the AT and the zipper went out on me after just a few days. If you're willing to spend the money, you can get a pretty light rain jacket; in size large, my OR Helium II weighs 6.5 oz. Add 1.7 oz rain kilt and 1.1 oz pack cover (both from zpacks) and that's pretty full coverage at 9.3 oz. My eVent Packa weighs just over a pound. But OTOH it's a really excellent item when conditions are right for it!

ChinMusic
12-15-2013, 14:39
Brian - I don't use my Packa all the time either. I found it perfect for temps short of the summer heat but once summer hit I found the traditional jacket and pack cover better. I still go back and forth in trying to decided what I like best. For the cooler months the Packa was the hands down winner. The temperature/protection contol the Packa offers is second to none. I do not take my pack off much during the day. Everything I need is in pockets/pouches I can get to. My need to get IN my pack during the day is small. The Packa is not much of a "fashion statement" in towns and I always wondered if store owners were keeping a special eye on me.

ZPacks rainskirt: I own it and really never (rarely) used it. In colder weather I used my Packa and it covered my upper legs well. In warmer weather I didn't mind my lower body getting wet. That left the rainkilt as an expensive ground cloth for the rare times I slept in a shelter. I carried it the whole way thinking that at some point I would like it. That point never came.

Frogg Toggs - I will never own these. Thruhikers are pretty dang tolerant to trail funk, but thrus that hike in Frogg Toggs in summer have a special level of stink. Just horrible. I can't imagine how bad it must be to town folk.

Second Hand
12-15-2013, 15:27
I have always used Frogg Toggs because they are cheap. I'm thinking about upgrading to GoLite Poncho tarp. It would save me a few ounces, but it actually looks pretty spacious as a tarp tent.

Does anyone have any experience with this thing? I could supplement it w/ my Bivy and cut down my pack weight by nearly a pound.

http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

This is a video of a guy setting it up. I don't know if he set up as efficiently as possible, but you can see how much room there is for 1 person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2VOpAyed8

daddytwosticks
12-15-2013, 16:53
There has been all sorts of talk on this site about using a poncho for both rainwear and shelter. It works for me down south here in the summer coupled with a bug bivy. But as the OP was talking about raingear for a thru hike, I don't thing a poncho tarp would work the whole way as both shelter and raingear. I'm sure someone will come along and disagree, maybe even pointing out a thru hiker who sucessfully used a poncho/bivy combo the whole way. :)

Slo-go'en
12-15-2013, 17:07
Dual use gear is great in theory, but usually doesn't do either job very well. I find this is especially true of poncho/shelters. I'd rather have a slight weight penilty and have gear which works well for it's specific function then try to make one thing do two or more things not so well.

Second Hand
12-15-2013, 17:48
Dual use gear is great in theory, but usually doesn't do either job very well. I find this is especially true of poncho/shelters. I'd rather have a slight weight penilty and have gear which works well for it's specific function then try to make one thing do two or more things not so well.

Thank you both for the advice. I think I'll take it and stick w/ $10 Frogg Toggs for my section hikes. Hopefully I didn't derail this thread from helping Goji on his own rain gear needs.

yerbyray
06-19-2014, 10:01
I agree with the switch in types of gear for the weather...as I use my rain gear as my wind stop/shell. In the summer I have a Gatewood Cape (Poncho) that replaces the rain gear, pack cover, and spare tarp.

rafe
06-19-2014, 10:06
I've read too many stories about ponchos flailing about in the wind. Overall, doesn't seem to practical in closed-in places (poncho getting caught on snags, etc.) or windy conditions.

Yes, Frogg Toggs can get foul. They can be washed, but be careful -- air-dry only!

Ricky&Jack
06-19-2014, 10:50
when you guys use heavy trash bags for "pack liners", do you use them all the time, or just when its going to rain?
(Seems to me, if its hot and humid, the bag suck)

rafe
06-19-2014, 10:55
I have a silnylon pack cover, rather than a liner. Weighs an ounce or two. I only use it in rain. It only takes a moment to dig out and deploy the pack cover. Pack liner seems like it would complicate things.

Dogwood
06-19-2014, 11:06
...Frogg Toggs - .....Thruhikers are pretty dang tolerant to trail funk, but thrus that hike in Frogg Toggs in summer have a special level of stink. Just horrible. I can't imagine how bad it must be to town folk.

FINALLY, Someone else is mentioning this. I noticed it too. Those who regularly wear Frogg Toggs have an even more unusual odor than the trypical grundgy hiker coming off them from these pieces of gear especially if they are consistently worn in wet environments.

meat803
06-19-2014, 11:26
Poncho with a drybag for sleeping bag clothes etc.

I have not been happy with pack cover. They are only temporary as rain will get in from the unprotected side. After a few days they prove worthless.

Pack liner. I dont like to mix everything up due to some things have to come out for lunch or whatnot and will undoubtedly get wet. By opening the pack to access whatever or put wet stuff back inside it, the things you dont want to get water on them do. Either compactor bag or cuben with dry items that only come out once tent is established.

Full rain suits haven't worked for me as well. For just hanging out they work great but with hiking I find the sweat / temperature regulation not to my liking. I used this initially and quickly started leaving the pants at home due to lack of use. Playing musical jacket with stop and go rain is a pain due to having to remove pack.

I like the poncho because it is lightweight, simple, and has great ventilation. Keeps me and the pack dry. I can take it off and on without removing my pack. I can take my pack off with it on and then duck inside for a rain covered access. I guess you can make a shelter. I have tried to make a quick one for lunch but always failed miserable. I have used it thrown over my tent when a seam spring a leak and also as an extended porch. If you do get wet, your body heat and ventilation will dry you out a good bit. Granted there is humidity so you wont get bone dry. But you can go from soaking wet to damp .

Lyle
06-20-2014, 06:35
- Plastic garbage bag inside pack for sleeping bag and dry clothes. Hefty flex < 1 oz
- Silnylon pack cover. ULA about 2 oz.
- Silnylon rain jacket. Brawny Girl, about 2 0z.
- RainWrap, ULA, about 2 oz.

This has been my rain gear for about 6 or 8 years now. Works as well as anything else I've tried in the past 30+ years and is the lightest options I've found. Never had a wet sleeping bag or clothes from rain.

As stated, nothing is perfect, so why not go light weight. Mostly rain gear is for keeping out wind and holding in heat when needed. If you don't need those functions, then you probably don't need to be wearing rain gear. Do be careful of hypothermia, however, if you need those fuctions - sometimes you don't recognize the fact. Learned that from experience.

Cedar Tree
06-20-2014, 10:07
The new 10d Packas weight about 7.5 oz for a medium.
CT