PDA

View Full Version : Bald Mt./Moxie area tentsite

java
08-27-2005, 23:18
Hi, does anyone know if there is a campsite and/or stealth spot just after you cross the dirt road and then the inlet to Moxie Pond. This would be North of Caratunk after crossing over Pleasant Mt.
I once camped in the little dirt parking lot on the south side of the road, but I would rather camp on the opposite side of the inlet, not right on the road. And yes, I know the shelter is close, but that's not the point.
java

attroll
08-28-2005, 00:06
Hi, does anyone know if there is a campsite and/or stealth spot just after you cross the dirt road and then the inlet to Moxie Pond. This would be North of Caratunk after crossing over Pleasant Mt.
I once camped in the little dirt parking lot on the south side of the road, but I would rather camp on the opposite side of the inlet, not right on the road. And yes, I know the shelter is close, but that's not the point.
java
If you talking about Joe's Hole. There are not campsites. If I remember correctly there is not any real good places to set up a tent until you get to the shelter. I do not remember any stealth spots until right before the shelter.

Now if you had a hammock then you would be all set you could set up anywhere. Sorry I had to put in my hammock plug. LOL.

TJ aka Teej
08-28-2005, 21:04
Troll's right, no campsites and I think the old lean-to site has been obscured too. The crossing should just be a rock hop now. After you cross northbound, follow the stream back toward the pond and you'll find some well used fisherman's campsites. Hang your foodbag, it's bear-over-bait season.

shades of blue
08-28-2005, 21:11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I camped just past Moxie Pond after the ford of Baker stream. You hike along the road a ways, then ford (I rock hopped) Baker stream. Not far into the woods there is a site on the right...it's not far at all. I hammocked there, but it definately could've been used as a tent site. I'm not sure if this is the area you are wanting to know about, but it's very close to Moxie pond(just North), and south of the lean-to.

attroll
08-28-2005, 21:33
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I camped just past Moxie Pond after the ford of Baker stream. You hike along the road a ways, then ford (I rock hopped) Baker stream. Not far into the woods there is a site on the right...it's not far at all. I hammocked there, but it definately could've been used as a tent site. I'm not sure if this is the area you are wanting to know about, but it's very close to Moxie pond(just North), and south of the lean-to.
You might be right but I just don't remmber there bing one. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again I am sure.