PDA

View Full Version : where to hike for jan, feb, and mar

Pages
12-15-2013, 09:33
hi,

i would like to hike jan, feb, and mar of 2014, preferably on one long trail.

where is it fairly warm or at least not snowy this time of year?

arizona trail?
southern end of pct?
southern end of cdt?

i live in hot springs, nc and thought of just getting on the AT and heading north for three months but that may be too cold and snowy.

i have a montbell ss ul 30 and a 20 degree flannel liner and a copper spur 1. all the other stuff too, but mentioned those two things in particular because i don't want to have to go out and buy new gear.

hence the southern or warm routes.

thanks

pages

http://carlflammbooks.blogspot.com

The Solemates
12-15-2013, 09:41
the southern hemisphere is currently having summer. 80 degrees in santiago last week.

Malto
12-15-2013, 10:07
The PCT is not likely to be much warmer or snow friendly during that time frame. I have done most of the first 700 miles of the AT during the winter and would be less apprehensive about the AT than the PCT which I thru hiked much later in the year.

perrymk
12-15-2013, 10:48
Florida National Scenic Trail

1100 miles, very do-able in 3 months, and I can just about guarantee there will be no snow.

johnnybgood
12-15-2013, 11:05
The Florida Trail ^.

DeerPath
12-15-2013, 11:22
Florida National Scenic Trail

1100 miles, very do-able in 3 months, and I can just about guarantee there will be no snow.

Ditto.........

BrianLe
12-15-2013, 13:40
I tend to agree with Solemates --- southern hemisphere. The Te Araroa is entirely open now I think, or stitch together other NZ trails. Australia has some long distance tracks too, including the AT-like Bibbulmun.

Dogwood
12-15-2013, 14:22
Foothills Tr is near you, Pinhoti(AL particularly), BMT(lower elev overall then the AT), Ouachita
look for some windows of nicer weather and all those as well as the AZT would work( careful with some sections of the AZT though in Winter). while the Florida Tr is certainly possible that's most(all?) of what folks on WB think of when it comes to winter hiking. there are places where one can winter hike with fairer weather not directly on the east coast!

Spirit Walker
12-15-2013, 15:02
The northern half of the AZT will likely be snow covered, at least in Jan. and Feb. It is higher elevation than you're used to. CDT is also mostly above 7000', even in New Mexico, and will be cold, with snow at the higher elevations. PCT goes up into the high elevations, then down to the desert, then up high again into the snow. Southern California isn't usually completely snow free until May.

If you want to avoid snow, the FT is good. It can get cold in January, but mostly is sunny and reasonably warm. You might also look into the Desert Trail in southern California -- but you have to love desert hiking, and water could be an issue.

bamboo bob
12-16-2013, 13:52
The Florida Trail is an excellent choice. Ten weeks. I have done it twice. The most wildlife of any trail. Start with Florida Trail Association. They have a Thruhiker InfoPack.

Astro
12-16-2013, 13:59
The Florida Trail is an excellent choice. Ten weeks. I have done it twice. The most wildlife of any trail. Start with Florida Trail Association. They have a Thruhiker InfoPack.

That wildlife include many coral snakes or alligators? :-?

ChuckT
12-16-2013, 14:44
You are more likely to be bothered by the Florida trailers than an alligator or coral snake. Now if you really want to make your life interesting you could yap at a gator like a fluffy yap-yap from the canal bank. Just don't say you weren't warned! (Spent several years as a Florida Trailer, so I can say that.)
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TAG
12-16-2013, 15:35
Of course, I'm biased, but I would suggest the Arizona Trail.
http://www.aztrail.org/
If you hike northbound, you shouldn't have to worry about significant cold until you near the grand canyon.

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 16:00
Another nice scenic trail in Arkansas that is certainly hikeable in winter but certainly isn't as warm as the Florida Tr is the Ozark Highlands Tr. The OHT will certainly give you more of a elev workout than the VERY flat Florida Tr(sometimes flooded sections and with some significant trail mileage on various road surfaces, IF you decide to start south of Miami say at Key West the FT significantly adds to the road walking!). Some hikers flock to the FT in winter because they really do not want to hike in anything that remotely resembles winter hiking, it gets more ink, is more well known, has more beta surrounding the trail, and it's what east coast only hikers desire-staying on the east coast. Night time lows can get down into the low double digits in Jan/Feb in Arkansas but the avg lows are respectively about 25 -20* during those two months and avg highs respectively about 50-45*. That's nice and refreshing hiking and sleeping weather in my mind. You have opportunities to extend a OHT thru-hike with the Buffalo River Tr. Snow usually doesn't last long on these trails when it does snow.