PDA

View Full Version : Which multi-fuel stove to get

M C
12-15-2013, 19:47
Need help picking a multi-fuel stove. I actually like the process of making & tending a wood fire. I realize there will be times when I won't want to fuss w/it hence the appeal of multi-fuel (esbit & alcohol). Seems to be a bunch of options out there and I'm hoping you
fine, intelligent folks can help me narrow down the choices. What for?-NOBO AT thru starting early Feb; How used?-cup of coffee & occasional hot breakfast, FBC & hot tea at night.
What features am I looking for? -multi-fuel, fairly lightweight, packs up reasonably small, easy to use, effective options & good quality.

So what options/features are good? Which ones are useless, etc?
I'm sure everyone is happy with the one they own, but would appreciate it if you could explain why you like a certain stove. (features it has others don't or how it's xyz feature seems to work better than other designs...)
Brands that often appear in this discussion: fourdog, traildesigns, emberlit, bushbuddy, woodgaz, qwiz and others.

Should the pot dictate the stove purchase? I don't have a pot yet either, but would prefer something short, lightweight and just adequate to accomplish my FBC/coffee/tea as mentioned. For example, I'm thinking something like the Evernew .6L/2.5 cup Ti pot...
Looks like some stoves are custom-made for specific pots (I think traildesigns' ti-tri is like that) - is that good or bad? (for ex, if later on you wanted to change your pot, you'd have to change the stove too, right?)

Some features look appealing like qwiz's side port to feed longer sticks into. Many offer some kind of ti "floor" option - worth it? Are some designs better at handling the esbit crud? Thank you!

Starchild
12-15-2013, 19:53
During my 2013 thru when winter hit, while many (5 others) had stoves, and we all worked together to get a hot dinner, only my jetboil got the water to boil, then that water 'donated' to the other stove for 'cooking, to heat our collaborated 'Mexican' dinner.

So as I see it it is OK if you use any method as long as you become a trail family with at least one person with a jetboil

YMMV

Astro
12-15-2013, 20:10
My Jetboil may weigh a little more and take up a little more space, and may be a little more expensive, but it appears to me to be so much more convenient than the other options. After hiking all day I prefer to have something that can quickly, reliably, and cleanly get my meal ready without a fuss. Of course I guess I am probably not as cool as some of the UL homemade options.

Life is full of tradeoffs, so you have to choose based upon what is most important for you.

garlic08
12-16-2013, 09:16
You might be over-thinking this, but it is winter before your AT hike and what else is there to do, right?

My wife, on her AT thru, started off with a Sierra wood burner, but it broke before Damascus. Someone in her trail family made her a beer can alky stove at the side of the road, and she loved that. And you could turn it over and use it to hold an Esbit tablet. Voila! Multifuel. It was that simple.

On my AT thru, years later, I discovered that a stove isn't even necessary. That was even more simple.

Any way, good luck in your choice. It's unlikely you'll get it right the first time, so keep your eyes open and be flexible.

peakbagger
12-16-2013, 12:55
I am a fan of pocket rocket equipped with a heat shield. Heats quick and nothing to go wrong. Going multifuel adds a lot of weight. If you are not into complex meals most folks run alcohol. I personally prefer my pocket rocket for sectioning over alcohol but many thru hikers go the other way

M C
12-16-2013, 17:40
I forgot about the reverse psychology here on WB. I should have posted that I want a Jetboil and ask which one to get. Then I would have received replies touting the benefits of various multi-fuel wood stoves, right? ;)
Starchild/Astro, I do appreciate your advice which I know has been earned out on the trail, so thank you. I had actually been considering starting with a jet boil then switching to a multi-fuel/wood after winter.
I really do enjoy the slow, "therapeutic" process of a small fire.
Garlic, over-thinking? yes, absolutely - next best thing to being on the trail. However, I'm not sure if I can compete with over-thinking something like...where my wind shirt fits into my overall clothing system...:D
So, I would still appreciate some advice re good features to look for in a multi-fuel stove. Surely someone on WB can give me some good tips and help me narrow down the choices. Thanks

Starchild
12-16-2013, 17:58
I forgot about the reverse psychology here on WB. I should have posted that I want a Jetboil and ask which one to get. Then I would have received replies touting the benefits of various multi-fuel wood stoves, right? ;)

That would have been your best approach.

1azarus
12-16-2013, 19:09
another good question... i have qi wiz's wood burner -- the firefly. i would never argue that it is the easiest or even the most efficient way to heat water, but i love it, the way that i love walking, even though it is a silly pastime. i would argue that it is the lightest way to heat water if you are on a really long walk. if you go the firefly route (and i would encourage you to, since you seem to have the same attitude) you should get it early enough so that you can practice quite a bit. you should get a low/wide pot (the .6l you mention is perfect for the stove) so that you don't need the skinny pot adapters the firefly offers. you shouldn't bother with the flex port -- just more complicated, slightly heavier and not particularly useful. you should consider getting the esbit adapter and bringing a few esbit tabs with you. and did i say you should practice? it does seem to be mostly about good fuel finding ability. sweet novelty stove.

Toon
12-16-2013, 19:53
Pocket rocket. Ti mug. Tinfoil wind shield. So simple

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

cjlusmc
12-16-2013, 20:48
Pocket rocket. Ti mug. Tinfoil wind shield. So simple Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

+1. Simple, easy, and relatively fast. A good wind screen is important for any stove setup.

Kookork
12-17-2013, 01:56
Here is the link to a thread I made while ago about what you are asking:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97462-Why-I-use-a-multi-burning-wood-stove-in-my-hikes&highlight=

Now I have used my Bushcooker LT I hundreds of times and I can tell you that using a lightweight wood stove in cold weather is not practical or even doable. For warmer months of the year My setup works great . So with your feb start you need a better setup for the first couple of months.

zelph
12-17-2013, 22:06
i have qi wiz's wood burner -- the firefly. i would never argue that it is the easiest or even the most efficient way to heat water, but i love it, the way that i love walking, even though it is a silly pastime..

Along with his stove a StarLyte burner can be used. Use the wood stove to support the pot and put the non-spill alcohol burner inside.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php

SunnyWalker
12-18-2013, 10:23
Caldera cone is used with alcohol, wood, esbit. I like the light weight cannister it comes in. I use one end as my drinking cup thus saving weight. The idea is not original with me, other hikers showed me this. When they did I dumped my titanium snow peak cup.

M C
12-18-2013, 19:06
That and having a cool, cosmic-esque name might help, eh Starchild? (I'm jealous).

M C
12-18-2013, 19:13
Here is the link to a thread I made while ago about what you are asking:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97462-Why-I-use-a-multi-burning-wood-stove-in-my-hikes&highlight=

Now I have used my Bushcooker LT I hundreds of times and I can tell you that using a lightweight wood stove in cold weather is not practical or even doable. For warmer months of the year My setup works great . So with your feb start you need a better setup for the first couple of months.

Yes, thank you for that link - that's exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout. I knew there were others out there:)
I realize that depending only on wood might be quite a challenge - esp in winter, but I guess that's where I thought the other fuel options on some of these stoves came into play - (alcohol & esbit).
In other words, if it's too wet/rainy out or you can't find wood, then you could just use an esbit tab instead, no?
And to be clear, that's what I'm looking for is a stove that can work with wood, alcohol and esbit.
Just looking for some tips from those who have used that kind on good features, why I might want to consider one model over another, etc. Thx

M C
12-18-2013, 19:17
another good question... i have qi wiz's wood burner -- the firefly. i would never argue that it is the easiest or even the most efficient way to heat water, but i love it, the way that i love walking, even though it is a silly pastime. i would argue that it is the lightest way to heat water if you are on a really long walk. if you go the firefly route (and i would encourage you to, since you seem to have the same attitude) you should get it early enough so that you can practice quite a bit. you should get a low/wide pot (the .6l you mention is perfect for the stove) so that you don't need the skinny pot adapters the firefly offers. you shouldn't bother with the flex port -- just more complicated, slightly heavier and not particularly useful. you should consider getting the esbit adapter and bringing a few esbit tabs with you. and did i say you should practice? it does seem to be mostly about good fuel finding ability. sweet novelty stove.

Thank you - I think you're catching my drift here. Glad you reminded me to practice - I would not have thought of that, but it certainly makes sense. I feel a road trip coming soon. Very very soon. Thanks again for your insight 1azarus!

M C
12-18-2013, 19:20
Caldera cone is used with alcohol, wood, esbit. I like the light weight cannister it comes in. I use one end as my drinking cup thus saving weight. The idea is not original with me, other hikers showed me this. When they did I dumped my titanium snow peak cup.

That sounds like a good one to check out. Forgive me, but is "Caldera Cone" a generic thing or a specific model by TrailDesigns? Thanks!

QiWiz
12-19-2013, 13:24
If you use a woodburner in rainy or wet snow conditions, you will either need to have a backup multifuel capability (ie Esbit or alcohol) or be willing to take some time (not a lot of time, but for some it will be a deal breaker) to do some wood prep. This will consist of gathering the driest fuel available; scraping off wet bark, if any; and cutting thick shavings and/or splitting sticks to get to the dry interior. A couple tips: [1] a pack cover makes a nice basket to catch whittled shavings in without letting them hit the wet ground and become damp; [2] a small sturdy knife can make wood prep much easier. I've been trying a small neck knife for winter wood prep and like it a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-Minimalist-2387/dp/B0030IT76C/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1387473753&sr=8-11&keywords=crkt+knife

Ironbelly
12-19-2013, 20:42
I just recently purchased a Firefly XL from QiWiz. So far I am loving it. Have been doing lots of test burns, and so far so good. Going to take it out on a trip after christmas and then will be posting up a review with a bunch of video of the stove.

I can't give my 100% endorsement just yet as i havnt put it through all of its paces, but Its looking to be a winner thus far.

Ironbelly
12-19-2013, 20:46
Oh, forgot to add that I use the companion burner from Zelph stoveworks, and then if i want to use esbit i just flip the companion burner over and use it for esbit. I did find that with the XL version of the firefly that the companion burner sits a little too far below the pot and looses a bunch of efficiency and heat. So now i just put a couple rocks or sticks, my cup or something in the stove and then put the burner on top of that to raise it a few inches. Hope to have the review posted by New Years, or sometime the first week of Jan at the latest.

Kookork
12-20-2013, 03:33
Yes, thank you for that link - that's exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout. I knew there were others out there:)
I realize that depending only on wood might be quite a challenge - esp in winter, but I guess that's where I thought the other fuel options on some of these stoves came into play - (alcohol & esbit).
In other words, if it's too wet/rainy out or you can't find wood, then you could just use an esbit tab instead, no?
And to be clear, that's what I'm looking for is a stove that can work with wood, alcohol and esbit.
Just looking for some tips from those who have used that kind on good features, why I might want to consider one model over another, etc. Thx

You can use alcohol,esbit and wood with Bushcooker Lt ( fourdog ). I use LT I but if I purchase again I will opt for LTII . LtI is too small ( still a great option for being ultra light.

zelph
12-21-2013, 12:36
You can use alcohol,esbit and wood with Bushcooker Lt ( fourdog ). I use LT I but if I purchase again I will opt for LTII . LtI is too small ( still a great option for being ultra light.

This is a video showing the Bushcooker boiling 4 cups of water with one load of wood. It was a comparison of a double wall stove(bushcooker) versus a single wall, one piece, DIY stainless steel stove that folds flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1y4j8tk6PE

www.bplite.com (http://www.bplite.com) for lots of DIY stove stuff

12trysomething
02-08-2014, 22:12
I prefer a 12cm imusa mug with a solo stove (wood burner) inside that with a 1 piece rolled bud light bottle stove in the solo stove. 2 a 2oz fuel bottles and you are good for many a day on the trail. It all nests nicely.

It may be a bit heavy for some, but it is all a personal preference.

Enjoy!

QiWiz
02-14-2014, 16:17

I agree with almost all of the above. If you are looking for an ideal pot for a FireFly, I recommend the MSR Titan or the Evenew Mug/Pot 900 cc. You have room to make a big meal and you will not need to bring either small or wide pot supports. I'm pretty sure that 1azarus uses his FireFly to heat water, not cook, and his advice regarding the FlexPort is fine if that's how you cook (ie, no cooking, just water heating). If you like to cook in your pot, the FlexPort really makes it easier to control temperatures and feed the fire - with a minimum weight penalty. YMMV.

SunnyWalker
02-14-2014, 17:32
MC: Yep. Here is link:http://traildesigns.com/stoves/cones/caldera-alcholesbit-systems I like this but I continue to be attracted to the wood burning stoves and see myself probably using for for part of a thru hike at least.

Another option, and often overlooked is this:http://www.trailstove.com/pricing.html I have one and wish to give it a try before I purchase another type of wood stove. Also, I have it set so I can use alcohol fuel as a option.

xalex
03-20-2014, 01:35
+1 for pocket rocket here. it doesnt hold a huge heavy duty pot but is very small and packable and reliable. hot food is a must most of the time, haha.

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2014, 09:20
+1 for pocket rocket here. it doesnt hold a huge heavy duty pot but is very small and packable and reliable. hot food is a must most of the time, haha.
For anyone contemplating the pocket rocket, I would suggest you spend the few dollars more and get the Snow Peak LiteMax.

I've got both, and my pocket rocket hasn't seen the light of day since I bought the LiteMax.

The LiteMax is even lighter than the pocket rocket, it folds MUCH smaller (such that you can partially tuck it under the fuel canister), and the arms hold the pot more stable that the pocket rocket.

By comparison, the arms of the pocket rocket do not open so that the pot support is flat. Instead, they stay at an angle leaving your pot to sit on the tips of the arms. Some how this leaves the pot less stable that when the arms lie flat like with the LiteMax... and there's no such thing as a pot too skinny for the LiteMax to support (pots that are too small won't work on the pocket rocket because of the openning in the middle of the arms).

Of course like the pocket rocket, the LiteMax isn't going to support a huge heavy duty pot.