PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to the approach trail

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 00:18
I'm having trouble figuring out the logistics getting to the approach trail for my '14 thru hike. I searched and found that most people are saying take the amtrak. Amtrak from Jacksonville to Gainesville on April 3rd is $151; Greyhound is $56. Once I get to Gainesville, I assume its pretty easy to take a cab to the approach trail? Anyone know the about cost?

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 00:25
oops! Mods, please delete.

glenlawson
12-16-2013, 00:31
While there are several taxis in Gainesville, you'd be better off looking for a shuttle listed on here or the ATC website. It is about an hour from Gainesville to Amicalola and a taxi might cost more that your bus ticket from Jacksonville.

Also, try to team up with someone for the shuttle to save a little money.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2013, 00:45
Are you looking for the best way, or the cheapest way?

IMO, the best way would be to have the Hiker Hostel pick you up at the bus station or Amtrak. They do both. They group hikers together so the cost is reduced. Spend the night there for $18 and have a great bunk and breakfast experience, then they will shuttle you the next morning, along with others, so your shuttle cost is reduced too.

I think my shuttle cost to Amicalola came out to be about $15. They pro-rate.
Amicalola will be the last stop though.

google hiker hostel dahlonega

Siarl
12-16-2013, 05:04
Even though my thru-hike is not until 2015 I have been doing that research as well. I will be taking Amtrak from the southern portion of Texas to Atlanta. From there, I will refer to this link on Whiteblaze. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8530-Article-Getting-to-Amicalola-Falls-Springer-Mountain