PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to the approach trail

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 00:23
I'm having trouble figuring out the logistics getting to the approach trail for my '14 thru hike. I searched and found that most people are saying take the amtrak. Amtrak from Jacksonville to Gainesville on April 3rd is $151; Greyhound is $56. Once I get to Gainesville, I assume its pretty easy to take a cab to the approach trail? Anyone know the about cost? Any other input would be appreciated. :)

max patch
12-16-2013, 00:31
The best way, after you decide if you are going to fly to Atlanta, train or bus to Gainesville, is to make a reservation with the hiker hostel. They will pick you up, take you back to the hostel for the night, feed you breakfast, and drop you off at Springer or Amicalola Fall State Park (your choice). $80. Great way to start the hike.

You can get a cab from Gainesville to AFSP. I don't know what the going rate is. Many drivers will not go to Springer.

max patch
12-16-2013, 00:31
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

max patch
12-16-2013, 00:46
Companion says taxi from Gainesville to AFSP is $70, and service to Springer is extra.

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 00:47
Wow, they make it super easy. I'll be making reservations and buying my Greyhound ticket tomorrow! Thanks for the help. I'm excited to see this plan coming together :D

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 04:19
Highly recommend the Saint's Hiker Hostel. They'll pick you up in Atlanta(AP or Greyhound) or Gainesville GA and take you to either AFSP or Springer as part of their well worth it affordable overnight package but they sometimes do shuttles only as well.

Starchild
12-16-2013, 08:44
Also HYOH and all, but it appeared to me that many of the thru hiker I met this year who did the approach trail wished they didn't. I was planing it, but due to hiking with Splash and her schedule needing to return we skipped it. I was glad I did once I've heard of those who did.

Don H
12-16-2013, 09:16
Some people drive their car and leave it for 5-6 months at the AFSP parking lot.

squeezebox
12-16-2013, 09:36
Kinda related question. How do you get home from Katahdin ?

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2013, 10:16
Usually, get a lift via car to Millinocket, bus from Millinocket to Bangor, another bus to Boston. Then bus, train, or fly.

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 10:54
Also HYOH and all, but it appeared to me that many of the thru hiker I met this year who did the approach trail wished they didn't. I was planing it, but due to hiking with Splash and her schedule needing to return we skipped it. I was glad I did once I've heard of those who did.

Its only 8 miles right? Why would they wish they skipped it?

Some people drive their car and leave it for 5-6 months at the AFSP parking lot.

I thought about doing that but it just seems like a bad idea.

I was also wondering about this but I figured I'd worry about it when I finish and see what other people were doing.

max patch
12-16-2013, 11:08
Nothing wrong with the approach trail. The 8 mile approach trail is a bit harder as a first day than Springer to Hawk; but easier than what you are going to experience on day 2 if you started at Springer.

I'd be willing to bet you will make your decision in the morning as leave the Hiker Hostel depending upon where the folks you met there are starting.

scope
12-16-2013, 11:26
You're right Subie, its just hiking, what's another 8 miles, right? The arch is a great photo-op, but for the next mile+ from there is a paved trail with a series of steps leading to the top of the falls - its a meaningless hump with your pack on. If you arrange for your pack to be waiting for you at the top, then its a pleasant warm up. I would skip to the trail where it heads up from the lodge rd above the falls.

The approach trail is really nothing special, but a lot like the rest of the trail in Ga. The trend on the 8m is up, up, and up. Not the worst climb, but often can seem like a meaningless hump of a full pack for those 8m that are not technically the AT. Personally, I hate the whole hiking south to Springer to begin hiking north from there, but it is what it is. My opinion on hiking the approach has changed over the years, and right now, I would opt to start at the Springer lot, not take my pack to the top, and pick it up on the way back down.

Coffee
12-16-2013, 11:30

Anyone who does this should sign up for AAA before heading back to pick up the car. Don't expect a car sitting for 6 months to start. Battery jump will almost certainly be required. Gasoline can go bad so be sure to add something like StaBil. And all sorts of things can deteriorate over six months like hoses. I'd also recommend an oil change prior to leaving the car. I have experience storing a classic car each winter and have been unpleasantly surprised with some of the issues I've dealt with when getting back on the road in the spring. It is probably better to leave the car with a trusted friend who will agree to run it every few weeks or so.

max patch
12-16-2013, 11:39
Just last month Survivor Dave shuttled a guy to AFSP who left his car at the park 6 months earlier at the start of his thru. Quick jump start and the guy was headed home. I do agree that it is best to leave the car with a friend if possible.

Starchild
12-16-2013, 11:51
Its only 8 miles right? Why would they wish they skipped it?

Post #13 described it pretty well.

Starchild
12-16-2013, 11:55

My advice is don't worry about it, you will learn on the trail that these things always work out.

For me I had a personal traveling trail angel Splash who also hiked about 1/3 of the AT with me. I met her a few months before my hike, she offered to drive me down and also came up for my summit. On our way back from Milinocket we also took 2 other just finished thru's - the trail will provide.

Odd Man Out
12-16-2013, 11:56
...Amtrak from Jacksonville to Gainesville on April 3rd is $151; Greyhound is $56.... :)

The Megabus runs non-stop from Jacksonville to Atlanta. The spring schedule isn't on-line yet, but in mid January, they are running a bus that arrives in the evening every day and on Fri-Mon there is a second bus that runs over night and arrives early in the AM. Prices are between 9$ and 29$ (the price depends on how quickly the tickets sell). The bus stops at the civic center MARTA station. From there you would take the MARTA to the end of the line (North Springs) where the Hiker Hostel picks you up. You would have to contact the Hostel to find out what time of day they pick up.

http://us.megabus.com/

marti038
12-16-2013, 15:24
Anyone who does this should sign up for AAA before heading back to pick up the car. Don't expect a car sitting for 6 months to start. Battery jump will almost certainly be required. Gasoline can go bad so be sure to add something like StaBil. And all sorts of things can deteriorate over six months like hoses. I'd also recommend an oil change prior to leaving the car. I have experience storing a classic car each winter and have been unpleasantly surprised with some of the issues I've dealt with when getting back on the road in the spring. It is probably better to leave the car with a trusted friend who will agree to run it every few weeks or so.

We hiked AFSP to Neel Gap in September and there were a few cars at the state park and the Springer lot that had obviously been there for a long, long time. Two of them had broken windows and unlatched hoods, which I assume means they had no battery (among other things) at all.

I would not leave a car that I care about all summer. Wes Wisson mentioned that some hikers steal cars in Atlanta and leave them at Springer. Clearly, I don't recommend that, but it was interesting hearing him talk about it (among other things).

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 16:29
You're right Subie, its just hiking, what's another 8 miles, right? The arch is a great photo-op, but for the next mile+ from there is a paved trail with a series of steps leading to the top of the falls - its a meaningless hump with your pack on. If you arrange for your pack to be waiting for you at the top, then its a pleasant warm up. I would skip to the trail where it heads up from the lodge rd above the falls.

The approach trail is really nothing special, but a lot like the rest of the trail in Ga. The trend on the 8m is up, up, and up. Not the worst climb, but often can seem like a meaningless hump of a full pack for those 8m that are not technically the AT. Personally, I hate the whole hiking south to Springer to begin hiking north from there, but it is what it is. My opinion on hiking the approach has changed over the years, and right now, I would opt to start at the Springer lot, not take my pack to the top, and pick it up on the way back down.

Agree with the technical descriptions of the Approach Tr but starting an AT thru-hike or long section hike with a beginning mindset like, "its a meaningless hump with your pack on", "the approach trail is really nothing special", and "can seem like a meaningless hump of a full pack for those 8m that are not technically the AT" IMHO quite possibly sets the stage for what will occur in one's mind on the "official" AT mileage.

Of the 8 anticipated AT thru-hikers that were dropped off(shuttled) by the Saints only two of us decided to start at AF SP rather than Springer Mt, one other thru-hiker and myself. Of the other 6 that decided to start at Springer, ALL who said things similar to what I just quoted above, NONE finished, and most, quickly quit their thru-hikes. That other thru-hiker and myself who started at AF SP were the only two that finished our thru-hikes making it to Mt Katahdin.

If waivering hiking the Approach Tr or not on an AT thru-hike or long section hike IMHO it's probably BEST that each individual have some idea why the hell their hiking in the first place!

Mags
12-16-2013, 16:44
Best way to get to the approach trail? Hike from Katahdin. :D

Best way..if not the easiest.

Being serious, good luck on your AT adventure! There is a reason why the "long green tunnel" means so much to many of us.

Starchild
12-16-2013, 17:54
Best way to get to the approach trail? Hike from Katahdin. :D

Best way..if not the easiest.

Being serious, good luck on your AT adventure! There is a reason why the "long green tunnel" means so much to many of us.

SoBo's have such a crazy view or reality and that's why we love them :D

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 18:12
The Megabus runs non-stop from Jacksonville to Atlanta. The spring schedule isn't on-line yet, but in mid January, they are running a bus that arrives in the evening every day and on Fri-Mon there is a second bus that runs over night and arrives early in the AM. Prices are between 9$ and 29$ (the price depends on how quickly the tickets sell). The bus stops at the civic center MARTA station. From there you would take the MARTA to the end of the line (North Springs) where the Hiker Hostel picks you up. You would have to contact the Hostel to find out what time of day they pick up.

http://us.megabus.com/

So are you saying I should hold off on making my reservations until then?

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 21:39
Want longer travel times w/ connections to make but save a very few dollars Megabus from Jville to Atlanta(supposedly $9-29). Then the Dog from Atlanta Greyhound station to Gainesville GA($12.50). I recently did something cheapskate similar. From Dahlonega, where the Hiker Hostel is located, the closest public transportation stop was Gainesville GA that I could figure out(Greyhound and Amtrak). It can factor into how much you pay to get picked up and brought to either the Hiker Hostel or directly to AF SP or Springer MT. Also, should for some reason you would want to hitch to AF SP the closet public transportation stop that I know of is Gville. So going south from furthest north you have Springer Mt, AF SP, Dahlonega (Hiker Hostel), Gainesville, North Springs Marta Station(you can get buses from here further NORTH towards but not to Gville/Dahlonega), downtown Atlanta(Greyhound Stat, Civic Cntr.), Atlanta AP. If arriving in Atlanta with others to be picked up at the same time the Hiker Hostel splits the shuttle cost among you. The Dog from Jville to Gainesville GA is only $54 and is going to take the shortest amt of time that I'm aware of(1 hr 40 mins) AND the shortest shuttle time to dahlonega or the trail. The longer your traveling time from Jville the more I would recommend an overnight at the Hiker Hostel. IMHO, unless you're an experienced long distance hiker it's best to do this anyway. Two thumbs up for the Hiker Hostel! To get an idea of the differences in distances it's about 30 mins from gainesvelle ga to dahlonega ga. About 90 mins from North Springs Marta(train/bus) station to dahlonenga. To get from downtown Atlanta to Dahlonega it could easily add on another 30-45 mins. ***Want to make things simplest try to get picked up in or arrive in Gainesville or with others in Atlanta(AP, North Springs, may be hard timing your arrival w/others though!). *The MAIN THING you're doing is going on a LONG hike! Don't make this more complicated than you have to if at all possible IMHO! Sorry for the run on paragraphs but for whatever reason I'm not able to insert paragraph breaks(use the return key) sometimes on WhiteBlaze).

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 21:42
Remember to smile and laugh especially with all the BS you'll hear. Once on the hike things start settling down! Then the mental part begins. Enjoy ALL of the journey Subie Love. HYOH. :banana

George
12-16-2013, 21:46
IMO the best way would be via a land yacht with a well stocked bar and gourmet food - might as well have it meet you at every road crossing

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 22:11
There are those that largely complete long distance hikes that way. Have seen it several times.

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 22:15
IMO the best way would be via a land yacht with a well stocked bar and gourmet food - might as well have it meet you at every road crossing

I'm not much of a boat person. Do you think a personal jet with an equivalent bar and food would suffice?

Subie Love
12-16-2013, 22:20
Want longer travel times w/ connections to make but save a very few dollars Megabus from Jville to Atlanta(supposedly $9-29). Then the Dog from Atlanta Greyhound station to Gainesville GA($12.50). I recently did something cheapskate similar. From Dahlonega, where the Hiker Hostel is located, the closest public transportation stop was Gainesville GA that I could figure out(Greyhound and Amtrak). It can factor into how much you pay to get picked up and brought to either the Hiker Hostel or directly to AF SP or Springer MT. Also, should for some reason you would want to hitch to AF SP the closet public transportation stop that I know of is Gville. So going south from furthest north you have Springer Mt, AF SP, Dahlonega (Hiker Hostel), Gainesville, North Springs Marta Station(you can get buses from here further NORTH towards but not to Gville/Dahlonega), downtown Atlanta(Greyhound Stat, Civic Cntr.), Atlanta AP. If arriving in Atlanta with others to be picked up at the same time the Hiker Hostel splits the shuttle cost among you. The Dog from Jville to Gainesville GA is only $54 and is going to take the shortest amt of time that I'm aware of(1 hr 40 mins) AND the shortest shuttle time to dahlonega or the trail. The longer your traveling time from Jville the more I would recommend an overnight at the Hiker Hostel. IMHO, unless you're an experienced long distance hiker it's best to do this anyway. Two thumbs up for the Hiker Hostel! To get an idea of the differences in distances it's about 30 mins from gainesvelle ga to dahlonega ga. About 90 mins from North Springs Marta(train/bus) station to dahlonenga. To get from downtown Atlanta to Dahlonega it could easily add on another 30-45 mins. ***Want to make things simplest try to get picked up in or arrive in Gainesville or with others in Atlanta(AP, North Springs, may be hard timing your arrival w/others though!). *The MAIN THING you're doing is going on a LONG hike! Don't make this more complicated than you have to if at all possible IMHO! Sorry for the run on paragraphs but for whatever reason I'm not able to insert paragraph breaks(use the return key) sometimes on WhiteBlaze).

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to pay a little extra and just book my greyhound to Gville tonight. I think it is the simplest way. Get to Gville and have the HH pick me up from there.

Random question in the wrong sub-forum: How do I edit a post? Or is a reply final once I post it?

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 22:25
Now you have the right idea. If had a private plane to travel the world to hiking destinations I would have a painting of a hiker on the it with the logo underneath "Take a hike."

Don H
12-16-2013, 23:22
For info on parking long term a AFSP check out this site http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org Georgia, Section 18, Approach Trail. They rate parking areas for the entire AT on this site and rate AFSP parking safety as "Great". The site also states that you have to check in at the visitors center and get a card to place in your window. I was told the lot is watched by the rangers. I've never parked there long term but would be interested to hear from someone who has.

As far as leaving your vehicle for 5 months goes, I left two vehicles at home and they both started right off when I got home.

George
12-17-2013, 00:45
I'm not much of a boat person. Do you think a personal jet with an equivalent bar and food would suffice?

land yacht is slang for a high end motor home, naturally it would only be shuttling you from the closest airport that can handle your private jet

if you have a 4 bedroom 5 bath 747 you may have to land at Atlanta

another thing to consider: how many porters are needed for hiking the trail in style ( this may need a separate thread )

Subie Love
12-17-2013, 01:08
land yacht is slang for a high end motor home, naturally it would only be shuttling you from the closest airport that can handle your private jet

if you have a 4 bedroom 5 bath 747 you may have to land at Atlanta

another thing to consider: how many porters are needed for hiking the trail in style ( this may need a separate thread )

Ahh gotchya. I thought it was sarcastic humor at first so I played along :)

ChuckT
12-17-2013, 09:20
Stand at the bottom of the stairs at ASAP and look up and you will appreciate why someone would pass on that way up.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

scope
12-18-2013, 13:20
Yeah, Dogwood's point is valid, but doesn't apply to everyone that might not want to do the Approach Trail for whatever reason. Lots of folks don't finish and while its a nice anecdotal story about those who started the trail at the same time, its probably statistically insignificant. The valid point is that if you're avoiding the Approach because its hard, you may very well have an unpleasant time on various other parts of the trail that are harder.

I think I was answering the question directly without regard to this issue. But I don't think avoiding the Approach Trail necessarily means you're taking it easy either. In fact, from my experience, I would say its smart to get those 8 or so relatively easy miles in from Springer as a good warmup before you hit the humps after Hawk shelter. Sometimes its good to get things "worked out" during relatively flat hiking before small issues become bigger on the ups (and steep downs).

max patch
12-18-2013, 13:34
Stand at the bottom of the stairs at ASAP and look up and you will appreciate why someone would pass on that way up.
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You can blue blaze the blue blaze and skip the stairs if you want.

HikerMom58
12-18-2013, 13:48
You can blue blaze the blue blaze and skip the stairs if you want.

Yep... there's 604 steps to the top of the Falls...Woo hoo!!!

scope
12-18-2013, 13:51
...My opinion on hiking the approach has changed over the years, and right now, I would opt to start at the Springer lot, not take my pack to the top, and pick it up on the way back down.

Just a post-op edit in that I don't know how things are today, but I suppose its not a great idea to leave your pack around for someone to steal. Better idea is to hike light and take it with you.