PDA

View Full Version : Where are re-filling points?

dlar9612
12-16-2013, 12:17
So I recently decided I want to hike the Appalachian Trail, and I'm finding out what to get as far as gear goes OK, but I'm having a problem... WHERE ARE THE REFILL POINTS!? And if you know how many days apart are they? I'm a complete noob about the Trail so any friendly tips you have will be much appreciated! :banana

Bags4266
12-16-2013, 12:24
If your planning a 2014 nobo trip you have a lot to learn in a little time. You should read and research this web site pick up some books. There is a lot to absorb. As far as your question goes you can resupply just about every three days. The trail crosses over many roads most of which will get you to a small town to "re-fill"

Deer Hunter
12-16-2013, 12:28
See if this helps.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

FarmerChef
12-16-2013, 12:28
Are you referring to food or fuel or both? Food you can reliable get every 3-5 days (sometime less, sometimes more) along almost the full length of the trail. You may need a shuttle, cab ride, hitch or trail angel to get you to some of those points but it's not hard. Fuel is usually available where the food is and often is available where food is not (at hostels with no or limited resupply, hardware stores, some gas stations, etc.). Alcohol is more easily available than canister fuel at some of the one off places.

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 12:41
its not that complicated.get one of the guides, either the at guide or the companion. both have excellent resupply information. when you get to one resupply point, you can figure out how long to the next resupply.,usually 3-5 days.the first week you usually carry too much food, so it takes a few weeks to figure out how much to carry between resupply points. you'll figure it out as you go along. unless you have some unusual dietary needs, you do not need to plan drop boxes.

ChinMusic
12-16-2013, 12:52
Show up with 4 days of food and wing it. Seriously

HikerMom58
12-16-2013, 13:28
Do you plan on carrying a stove or a way to boil some water for your meals? Sometimes resupply stops are limited on what you can "resupply."

I'm glad you weighed in here, Chin... you are the "wing it" king... :D I love it!!

max patch
12-16-2013, 13:37
buy a Companion and all the secrets of the AT will become yours. Seriously.

-Animal
12-16-2013, 15:57
Or, if you would like to make an intelligent decision on how to hike the trail-
Read every book, article, and journal you can find about the AT.
Make a database and research every food, gear, footwear, clothing, and shelter you could use on the trail.
Make comparison lists, using the research data, to determine how usable each item is.
Test items in various conditions to determine their effectiveness and reliability.
Learn all the skills that you will need on your journey.
Condition and train your body and mind more than the astronauts did to get into space.
Save enough money to handle all contingencies.
Learn the five most common human dialects you will encounter on the trail.
-then you may be better prepared than normal to hike. But the power to finish the AT comes from within.

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 16:21
its just walkin

Bags4266
12-16-2013, 17:04
It ain't just walking to someone who is green leaving in march.

max patch
12-16-2013, 17:12
There are people who sucessfully thru'd the AT whose first ever backpacking trip was day 1 of their hike. Ain't like climbing Everest. With a Companion you wing it as you go. Really.

Slo-go'en
12-16-2013, 17:13

And only 17, so I suspect it might not be until June that he can leave.

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 17:18

There are people who sucessfully thru'd the AT whose first ever backpacking trip was day 1 of their hike. Ain't like climbing Everest. With a Companion you wing it as you go. Really.
it aint rocket science either.plenty of newbies finished the trail, many of them with little or no experience before they started at springer.
its just 4 or 5 months of section hikes strung together.

Slo-go'en
12-16-2013, 17:23
Since the OPs question has been answered (get a guide book!) time for some dirt... (opps I ment drift)

Actually, climbing Everst might be easier these days - just pay your 70K and follow the crowd. But it is a valid point. Although there are some people who started with zero experiance and finished, they are the exception. Those who have even just a little experiance have a much greater chance. I belive that is because they at least have an idea of what to expect.

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2013, 18:22
Since the OPs question has been answered (get a guide book!) time for some dirt... (opps I ment drift)

Actually, climbing Everst might be easier these days - just pay your 70K and follow the crowd.

Where do people get this idea that you just pony up money and go climb Everest on a whim, like a walk on the AT? It just isn't that easy to get accepted as a client, especially since the tragic 1996 season. Here are some excerpts and links to Alpine Ascents requirements for prospective expedition members - other reputable expedition guides such as Rainier Mountaineering, International Mountain Guides, Adventure Consultants are similar:

"Experience Required For Expedition Members
We are looking for experienced climbers, for whom Everest is the next logical step in their climbing careers. Our team will be in top physical condition and ready to meet the extreme challenges Everest presents. It is important that your resume includes previous high altitude climbs and strong mountaineering skills. Climbs like Denali, Aconcagua, Cho-Oyu and Vinson are good prerequisites to attempt Everest." - http://www.alpineascents.com/everest.asp

Preparation for an Alpine Ascents’ Mount Everest Climb
To reach the summit of Everest(29,035’/8850m) you must be in top physical, emotional, and psychological condition. Benchmarks for physical conditioning include successful previous trips above 20,000’ whenever possible, during which you will have gained experience dealing with gear and equipment, handling extremely cold temperatures and extreme altitude, gaining solid cramponing skills both on and off rock, snow and ice, rappelling with a pack on, and using ascenders and jumars on a fixed line. In addition to solid alpine living, snow, and ice climbing skills, you need significant strength endurance, high-altitude tolerance, and strong cardiovascular conditioning. - http://www.alpineascents.com/pdf/info/everest-train.pdf "

It ain't just walking - or climbing.

HikerMom58
12-16-2013, 20:14
it aint rocket science either.plenty of newbies finished the trail, many of them with little or no experience before they started at springer.
its just 4 or 5 months of section hikes strung together.

All righty then, just get ur tail right up to VA then! :D

Leanthree
12-16-2013, 20:23

I'd recommend an April departure to any NOBO who is pretty new to the whole endeavor, especially a young one who can make up miles if the Baxter closing deadline starts to loom. That being said, stay in school kids.

gpburdelljr
12-16-2013, 20:58
Since the OP is new, he may not know what the "Companion" is. It is the "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion".

Siarl
12-16-2013, 21:22
buy a Companion and all the secrets of the AT will become yours. Seriously.

LOL I read that and thought, Oh Lord. He's going to tell his friends where they can hook up with a companion.

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 21:39
LOL I read that and thought, Oh Lord. He's going to tell his friends where they can hook up with a companion.you can buy them outside the port authority in ny

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 21:40
you can buy them outside the port authority in ny
or at least rent one for an hour or three

A.T.Lt
12-16-2013, 21:46

Hunts Point used to be good for that also...

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 21:49
Hunts Point used to be good for that also...
port authority is easier for a hiker to get to:)

hikerboy57
12-16-2013, 21:56
well, back to the op, either or both of the guides mentioned are good investments, try not to overthink things too much. you'll figure things out quickly enough or you will go home.the guides both have all your resupply information, as well as shuttles, hostel listings,campsites and water sources. once youre on the trail its really pretty simple. you just take it one day at a time. you'll figure it out.
theres a lot of great information here in the articles on the home page,too. if you have a specific question, we'll be more than happy to provide you with well intentioned,sometimes contradictory, always unsolicited advice.welcome to whiteblaze.

Don H
12-16-2013, 23:25
See if this helps.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

I downloaded this to my phone and referred to it often.

Don H
12-16-2013, 23:28

Seniors around here graduate in late March, perfect time to start a thru.

Next question: How much money do I need and how long will it take?

Trebor66
12-17-2013, 01:28
You'll hear a lot of different answers to the money question. But it seems that it averages around 5 or 6 grand or so. It mostly depends on how often you go to town and get a motel and big meals and which gear needs replaced. As for the time, it averages between 5 and 6 months.

CarlZ993
12-17-2013, 13:00
'Buy' or 'rent?' :)

hikerboy57
12-17-2013, 13:04
or at least rent one for an hour or three

'Buy' or 'rent?' :)
had it covered.

Mags
12-17-2013, 13:11
I wrote this article:
http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail

Answers some of the basic questions you may have and links to more detailed resources.

Hope it helps.

Valley Girl
12-17-2013, 13:44
LOL I read that and thought, Oh Lord. He's going to tell his friends where they can hook up with a companion.

or it's just that easy to 'buy" one. :banana

RED-DOG
12-18-2013, 12:24
Like other folks have said it takes a couple of weeks to figure out how much to get at each stop, It all depends how many miles you hike per day, on my Flip Flop in 97 it took me about a month to get good at it, but you want really know until you get out their.

slbirdnerd
12-18-2013, 13:23
I recommend The AT Guide, and if you email David Miller (the hiker/author) and ask him nicely, he'll reply with an Excel spreadsheet of sample 12, 15 and 18 miles plans, including resupply locations. I'm finding these a good basis for planning (not to follow to the tee).

http://www.theatguide.com/

ChinMusic
12-18-2013, 15:11
I recommend The AT Guide, and if you email David Miller (the hiker/author) and ask him nicely, he'll reply with an Excel spreadsheet of sample 12, 15 and 18 miles plans, including resupply locations. I'm finding these a good basis for planning (not to follow to the tee).

http://www.theatguide.com/

The 15-mile plan is here: http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-15.html

The 12: http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-12.html

The 18: http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-18.html

Venchka
12-18-2013, 18:12

Learn fast or go home. At least the OP knows what real WINTER is all about. Fargo, ND. It doesn't get much more winter than that.

Wayne

Del Q
12-18-2013, 22:04
Ramen noodles in zip loc with water for 4-6 hours can be frightening.

Del Q
12-18-2013, 22:24
Ramen noodles in zip loc with water for 4-6 hours can be frightening. And lightweight

Feral Bill
12-19-2013, 01:54
Learn fast or go home. At least the OP knows what real WINTER is all about. Fargo, ND. It doesn't get much more winter than that.

Wayne Yes, but its a dry cold.:)

Del Q
12-22-2013, 23:11
I learned no-cook from Trek and Eric D............eat great food in town.

There is a TON of no cook food, all basically comes down to calories.

Stopped carrying a stove and cooking a few years ago, lighter, simpler, more fun for me.

SPAM single serving new dinner favorite...............if there is a fire nearby, toast that baby up!