PDA

View Full Version : Simple Shower

Rocket Jones
12-16-2013, 13:55
Maybe not for a long hike, but Simple Shower (http://www.amazon.com/Rainburst-Simple-Shower/dp/B00DVXXIQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387216247&sr=8-1&keywords=simple+shower) could definitely be part of your car camping or home emergency kit.

WILLIAM HAYES
12-16-2013, 18:48
I just use an extra Nalgene bottle cap that I have drilled several small holes in works well

Tipi Walter
12-16-2013, 21:38
The old Solar Showers and shower bladders worked well for in-home (or in-tipi) use as water can be heated on a woodstove and poured into the bag---the bigger the bag the better.

For backpacking, well, I either get in the creek if it's warm or use my cook pot to pour water over my head and scalp and body if need be. Dual purpose.

Wise Old Owl
12-16-2013, 21:57
Walk down from the shelter and jump in the lake.... use plenty of Ivory..... Oh what was I thinking.... sorry never mind.... do you boil or sterilize your water?...:eek:

RodentWhisperer
12-17-2013, 00:29
Thirty seconds in an alpine tarn, and you'll feel more refreshed that ever... or more hypothermic. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
12-17-2013, 01:44
Just drill a few holes in a milk jug cap ... or buy a spare Platypus cap and drill a few holes in it.

Rain:sunMan

leaftye
12-17-2013, 07:20
It says it works with soda bottles and platypus bladders. These have very different thread pitches, which is why those bladders easily leak when used with Sawyer Squeeze filters. Leaking isn't a big deal with a shower, but I'm still curious as to which thread pitch they use.

Bronk
12-17-2013, 10:52
I think the value in the product being sold as opposed to just drilling holes in a bottle is that there appears to be a tube attached to the sprinkler which (presumably) is to allow air to flow into the bottle, which will allow much faster and easier flow of water. If I were to do another long distance hike I think I'd carry one of those collapsible buckets. I've lived off grid for the last 7 years and have become accustomed to taking a shower with a bucket. I just splash water on myself to get wet, soap up and then dump the bucket over my head to rinse. Though I will admit that this would only work for people with shorter hair, but I doubt a sprinkler on a bottle would work for washing long hair either.